Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Passes $40M

There's a 10 for the Chairman video on the Roberts Space Industries website celebrating the news that crowd-sourced funding for Star Citizen has passed the $40 million threshold. The $41 million plateau is when the recently announced Procedural Generation R&D Team goal will be in effect. Here's a reminder of what that involves: "This stretch goal will allocate funding for Cloud Imperium to develop procedural generation technology for future iterations of Star Citizen. Advanced procedural generation will be necessary for creating entire planets worth of exploration and development content. A special strike team of procedural generation-oriented developers will be assembled to make this technology a reality."

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 21:06 HorrorScope

panbient wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 15:13:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 13:10:
If you can make games... and you are making $15 an hour. Be like Gary, he has now made two games at more than 30 million in revenue each. If you can make games why settle for money a waitress can make more at? You have a mad skill. You are skilled labor.

Congratulations on getting really lucky.

This bit reads like the same crap my aunts throw at me when they wonder why I didn't invent facebook or google because I could make HTML pages back in the day... Garry got VERY lucky. Why didn't you make Flappy Bird?

By 'business development' do you mean middle management or actually entrepreneurship and starting your own company? In which case not everyone has access to the venture capital to get a business started nor are there always the available talent pools to staff the endeavor. Same as not everyone has the stomach or political acumen necessary for middle management.

You also don't seem to want to consider the fact that the developer asking for $100k a year will be reminded that they can easily be replaced by 3 juniors for 10k less than their desired salary who will be willing to put the overtime crunch necessary to accomplish the same results. How many developers working beneath you are making 6 figure salaries?

I will agree that it feels exploitative and like you're living a very bad joke. It's probably why I've quit it again. The industry is only getting busier, not better.

If you have skills and are willing to move, jobs are out there. Effort really looking and finding a match is probably the hardest part. I have the ability to meet a lot of customers each day, overall I probably get 3 offers a year which really isn't a lot, but it's one of those things they see what you can do and they know you and they have needs and it's costly. But if they pursue a little harder, I then tell them a rough ballpark amount on what it would take and they are still listening, but I'm not really for hire. I simply like what I do, but if that dries up, I know where I'll be going... I also see in these visits, companies they contract to do programming work for them, no one is under $200 an hour any more and around $100+ for general pc maint/networking work. Now if you work for a company that consults you out, you won't get the full $200 but you will still get a big enough part of that pie plus a per diem to live like a king if it involves traveling. Then if you were to be a full time hire for someone... again if you got the skill and can prove it, there are good paying jobs. (I will surrender there are people out there low balling to, I say to that only take something like that as entry level for exp. I had 13 years EXP before it paid off with a real winner.)

If you can write apps from the ground up, you have a skill, you just need to find those wanting it. You're as lost as they are trying to find you, that means you just got to look harder.

As for Gary, he didn't get lucky he had a good idea and did it. Flappy Birds got lucky. But we can scale it back, there are a number of Indy Games that those behind it are making good money. But again, game making is a lot of work (The Main Reason I didn't make Angy Birds, even though that game looks like something simple to do, who knew that would sell?). I'm out of game programming for all practical purposes (When I was doing it was the early 80's), I do have something started semi-recently, but I figured 1 full year of 5 to midnight and mayyyybe I could complete it, but that is a lot of time, for something I don't have to have. Flappy and Papers Please make me think sometimes I have to rethink, but what I've ever thought of doing was something I wanted to play, not what is something with a hook that is super simple to do... I'm not a pure capitalist.

But if you can develop business style apps from scratch people are wanting you.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2014, 21:11.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 19:04 Kosumo

... duck hunter?

Did i get it right?

So Christ Roberts is adding duck hunting to his cult?

37. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 18:04 saluk

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and poops like a duck...  

36. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 15:13 panbient

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 13:10:
If you can make games... and you are making $15 an hour. Be like Gary, he has now made two games at more than 30 million in revenue each. If you can make games why settle for money a waitress can make more at? You have a mad skill. You are skilled labor.

Congratulations on getting really lucky.

This bit reads like the same crap my aunts throw at me when they wonder why I didn't invent facebook or google because I could make HTML pages back in the day... Garry got VERY lucky. Why didn't you make Flappy Bird?

By 'business development' do you mean middle management or actually entrepreneurship and starting your own company? In which case not everyone has access to the venture capital to get a business started nor are there always the available talent pools to staff the endeavor. Same as not everyone has the stomach or political acumen necessary for middle management.

You also don't seem to want to consider the fact that the developer asking for $100k a year will be reminded that they can easily be replaced by 3 juniors for 10k less than their desired salary who will be willing to put the overtime crunch necessary to accomplish the same results. How many developers working beneath you are making 6 figure salaries?

I will agree that it feels exploitative and like you're living a very bad joke. It's probably why I've quit it again. The industry is only getting busier, not better.

35. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 13:10 HorrorScope

panbient wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 11:28:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 23:40:
Can't speak for the Mexican's. But then I hope those not making 100K are getting profit sharing then. 50k avg? Then we can bring in all the extra cost beyond salaries.

Man I WISH I had managed to work in whatever magical dreamland of development you envision. The average is closer to $30-40k / year. Especially for unproven / fresh talent. Which is EASY to find when there are so many people desperate for legitimate 'industry experience'.

Really though... 100k / year as an average for a video game developer? WOW... just wow.

Then let me help you out then, it's a bigger wow being exploited. Stop making games and get into business development. If you know what you are doing you'll soon be at 100K and going north routinely. You will work in a better environment, more security and all that comes with a better job. The only "crunch time" (generally) is go live, being on-deck to make sure things go smoothly. I say this, because that is my story.

That is also how I raised my boys, "they want to make games", fine get good enough to do that and you can then easily fall back to business development and make more and have a real quality of life. If you then want to make a game, start something small and indy once you are all settled in.

To anyone. If you can program games and you are American and you are well under a 100K you are being exploited. You have engineer type qualities and bean counters above you that can work word and excel (whoopi) making more $$$ than you and can't do "Hello World" to save their lives. Stop being exploited, only exception is if it is your first gig and you want to get some experience. Get 3 years in, bounce jobs (preferred to move to biz dev) a few times to get some nice bumps in pay.

This reply is based on my life.

Being a developer for $15 an hour... Joke. Bad Joke.

It is nice to be reminded I live in Dreamland, quite a few people here with me to.

34. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 12:59 HorrorScope

loomy wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 00:44:
you idiot fucks who criticize this game

there has never been a game doing this crazy combination of things

you're expected to shut up and wait, not hate.

Those that sound negative to you are living under the adage "If it sounds to good to be true it usually is". If that's hate so be it, prove us wrong. We want to be proven wrong. We win by being wrong. We only seen the signs if we are proven right.

33. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 12:56 HorrorScope

loomy wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 00:37:
> 41 million
> 212 devs
> 100k/year

lol WHATTTTTTT

Math.

32. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 12:21 Creston

Julio wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 06:45:
Kosumo wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 01:27:
What about Derek Smart who has made this type of game before. And released it. Many times. More recently than Chris Roberts as well?

I'm surprised one of the stretch goals isn't bringing Derek Smart on board.

That made me spit water all over my keyboard. Thanks

31. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 11:28 panbient

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 23:40:
Can't speak for the Mexican's. But then I hope those not making 100K are getting profit sharing then. 50k avg? Then we can bring in all the extra cost beyond salaries.

Man I WISH I had managed to work in whatever magical dreamland of development you envision. The average is closer to $30-40k / year. Especially for unproven / fresh talent. Which is EASY to find when there are so many people desperate for legitimate 'industry experience'.

Really though... 100k / year as an average for a video game developer? WOW... just wow.

30. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 10:59 InBlack

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 10:40:
Flatline wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 23:43:
Future iterations of Star Citizen?

So... they're allocating funds for the sequel?

I think one of my main problems is that the game I originally kickstarted/funded is almost nowhere to be seen any more because it's had more stretch goals added than original features. If I could pull my money out at this point I probably would because I'm just not interested in the game that they're developing at this point.

I agree. In the beginning this was touted as the return of Wing Commander (Squadron 42) and the PU was kind of sounding like a modern Freelancer but now there is so much peripheral stuff like ground FPS combat and lots of micromanagement crap that it seems like the focus is no longer on the space sim elements.
It' more and more turning into a world/universe simulation rather than what many people wanted which was "just" a new Wing Commander (or XWing or Freespace....).
Moar is not always better, Mr. Roberts.

You would think that he figured that out when they replaced him on Freelancer?? The thing is this, when youre selling snake oil, more vitamins is ALWAYS better...

I have a nifty blue line!

29. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 10:59 SpectralMeat

I can see now the snake oil sales man resemblance that others were talking about regarding Chris Roberts.
The more "features" or stretch goals these guys announce the less and less interested I become in this game.
Elite can not come out soon enough.

Steam: SpectralMeat

28. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 10:40 CJ_Parker

Flatline wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 23:43:
Future iterations of Star Citizen?

So... they're allocating funds for the sequel?

I think one of my main problems is that the game I originally kickstarted/funded is almost nowhere to be seen any more because it's had more stretch goals added than original features. If I could pull my money out at this point I probably would because I'm just not interested in the game that they're developing at this point.

I agree. In the beginning this was touted as the return of Wing Commander (Squadron 42) and the PU was kind of sounding like a modern Freelancer but now there is so much peripheral stuff like ground FPS combat and lots of micromanagement crap that it seems like the focus is no longer on the space sim elements.
It' more and more turning into a world/universe simulation rather than what many people wanted which was "just" a new Wing Commander (or XWing or Freespace....).
Moar is not always better, Mr. Roberts.

27. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 08:28 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ugh, the circus around this game isn't even funny anymore. It's just embarrassing to see people tossing thousand of dollars at virtual ships in a game that won't even be released for a year (the last piece).

Come on, humanity. Surely P.T. Barnum wasn't going to be right forever ?

26. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 07:34 Redmask

What about Derek Smart who has made this type of game before. And released it. Many times. More recently than Chris Roberts as well?

I'm not sure I would call what Derek Smart releases 'games' so much as broken ego centerpieces for him to fight with people on the internet.

25. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 06:45 Julio

I'm surprised one of the stretch goals isn't bringing Derek Smart on board.

24. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 05:49 Eirikrautha

[VG]Reagle wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 23:01:
After that well apparently the developers add another stretch goal and laugh their way to the bank while smoking crack and loading hookers on their yaughts.

So the ability to spell defines one as a geek or nerd. Got it.

(And I'm not even a SC backer, but I can tell a troll when I smell one...)

23. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 05:03 InBlack

you idiot fucks who criticize this game are THE REASON game publishers don't let developers disclose information early. you generate negativity out of thin air. you can only feel with your hearts and hope that your hearts will go on.

there has never been a game doing this crazy combination of things. but if you haven't spent hours studying, you wouldn't know that. and you're not expected to know. you're expected to shut up and wait, not hate.

have a little respect and wait 2 more years like you do with every other game. you neanderthal holes

I fear for your mental health. Maybe you should limit your visits to Bluesnews?

I have a nifty blue line!

22. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 04:38 Sleep

Or do you mean, selling in game stuff for money before there is even a game?

(lol, you know I'm trolling hard when I'm holding up Derek Smarts, body of work as my point!)

Yeah, that is scraping the bottom of the troll barrel

21. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 02:11 ViRGE

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 00:39:
Um, question, wtf does 'future iterations of Star Citizen' mean? Does that mean it's money not being spent on Star Citizen and being used for another game down the road or what?
Roberts would like to further add to the Persistent universe after the game's launch, popularity and resources permitting. New ships, new worlds, new gameplay opportunities, etc.

As it stands Star Citizen is "frozen" to prevent feature creep. So new ideas get punted to post-launch.

20. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 01:27 Kosumo

Or do you mean, selling in game stuff for money before there is even a game?

(lol, you know I'm trolling hard when I'm holding up Derek Smarts, body of work as my point!)

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo