Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

73. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 13:07 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 12:55:
Why is minimum wage being discussed in a "consolidation" thread? You guys let Batman grenade the hell out of you!

Heh, sorry Prez. We bit that hook like a starving trout.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 13:06 jdreyer

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 12:33:
All the information on how tips are taxed is out there if you guys take a minute to look it up or know someone who actually works at a restaurant. But this is Blue's News, where people like to make things up as they go along.

It used to be the case that waiters largely avoided getting taxed. These days however, a lot of the loopholes have been closed. Waiters get charged full taxes for any tips paid by credit card. They get charged for any automatic gratuities like those for parties of six or more. The rest are estimated at about 10% of sales. So Beam's estimation of 25% may even be a bit generous these days. I always leave my tip in cash, not because I hate the gov't, but because service work is damn hard, and the pay generally sucks. So every little bit helps these people.

71. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 12:55 Prez

Why is minimum wage being discussed in a "consolidation" thread? You guys let Batman grenade the hell out of you!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

70. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 12:33 Mad Max RW

All the information on how tips are taxed is out there if you guys take a minute to look it up or know someone who actually works at a restaurant. But this is Blue's News, where people like to make things up as they go along.  

69. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 12:31 Beamer

Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 12:24:
Beamer wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 10:39:
yeah, those waiters not paying enough taxes on their $30k is really holding the country back...

It's not holding the country back, but if I have a job at McDonalds for 30K, I get taxed on 30K. Why does a restaurant worker get to dodge that?

They shouldn't get to dodge that, and for the most part, they aren't dodging that.
I mean, they need to report something in tips. The IRS knows how many hours they worked. If their tips are significantly underrepresented, red flags go up. At best they can probably dodge 25% of their earned wages.

It's perhaps not "fair," but it isn't our biggest taxation issue. The word "fair" probably shouldn't even be considered with taxes, because being "fair" is a huge part of why our economy is borked.

Regardless, I like being able to tip very well for good service and less well for bad service. We've all had shitty waiters. Typically they don't last long because they don't get great tips. I'm ok with forcing them into different jobs.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

68. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 12:30 Mad Max RW

Tips are already taxed.  

67. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 12:24 Creston

Beamer wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 10:39:
yeah, those waiters not paying enough taxes on their $30k is really holding the country back...

It's not holding the country back, but if I have a job at McDonalds for 30K, I get taxed on 30K. Why does a restaurant worker get to dodge that?

66. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 10:39 Beamer

Julio wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 06:50:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 03:26:
Restaurants are kind of a special case b/c of tipping (I think we should get rid of tipping altogether, but that's a different discussion). Doesn't seem like we should just scuttle raising the min wage just for restaurants though. Some kind of exemption should work.

Completely agree on eliminating tipping - restaurant owners should pay their staff what they're worth. Not to mention that would help with more fair taxation, so the non-restaurant workers don't have to pay more than their share of taxes. Given we all know those tips aren't claimed on income taxes.

But then again, I'm all for legal prostitution so it can be taxed as well.

-------------

65. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 06:50 Julio

jdreyer wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 03:26:
Restaurants are kind of a special case b/c of tipping (I think we should get rid of tipping altogether, but that's a different discussion). Doesn't seem like we should just scuttle raising the min wage just for restaurants though. Some kind of exemption should work.

Completely agree on eliminating tipping - restaurant owners should pay their staff what they're worth. Not to mention that would help with more fair taxation, so the non-restaurant workers don't have to pay more than their share of taxes. Given we all know those tips aren't claimed on income taxes.

But then again, I'm all for legal prostitution so it can be taxed as well.

64. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 03:26 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 23:16:
We were talking about min wage last week - here is what I was saying that owners are against it...

63. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 01:06 Creston

Beamer wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 22:37:
or "PC MASTER RACE!"

The PC IS the master race, what's your point?

Drummer PC, PC, UBER ALLES! Drummer

62. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 00:38 Prez

I think "crisis" is the wrong word. The console market is in a state of flux is more like it.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

61. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 23:16 xXBatmanXx

We were talking about min wage last week - here is what I was saying that owners are against it...  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

60. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 22:37 Beamer

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 22:33:
Beamer wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 20:31:
Go to Bestbuy.com and try to find a PC without integrated graphics. Every PC on their first page has integrated graphics, and graphics aren't even one of their bullet points until you click into the product.
Go to Amazon and look at their best selling desktops. Only 1 of the top 20 has a dedicated GPU, and it's a GeForce GT 610, a $40 card that can't run anything.

Many here just aren't in touch with reality.

I think we are in touch, if you take all the pc's as a whole gaming is a drop in the bucket. Always have always will. They are going to be what they are at BB because they want them as cheap as possible because most buying won't be for games and a gamer with an ounce knows they have to simply put in a video card in those now and be done with it, so still very simple.

Was at BB yesterday, they now have a PC Gaming Isle, where it used to be games, it is now input devices. Honestly they have to have at least 25 different types of gaming headsets, never seen so many.

I think gamers would love the choice of yearly 100% compatible updates. It's a choice, those with Star Citizen money will upgrade every year (See Apple to) and those that are more frugal maybe once every two or 3 years. But I'd have a hard time thinking if there were a Xbox 361, that offered better frames and AA on without penalty that would have excited the gaming base.

But there are some here that repeatedly say things like "everyone has a PC" or "those people should just get a PC, they use it for other things" or "PC MASTER RACE!"

It totally misses why people like consoles.

-------------

59. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 22:33 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 20:31:
Go to Bestbuy.com and try to find a PC without integrated graphics. Every PC on their first page has integrated graphics, and graphics aren't even one of their bullet points until you click into the product.
Go to Amazon and look at their best selling desktops. Only 1 of the top 20 has a dedicated GPU, and it's a GeForce GT 610, a $40 card that can't run anything.

I think we are in touch, if you take all the pc's as a whole gaming is a drop in the bucket. Always have always will. They are going to be what they are at BB because they want them as cheap as possible because most buying won't be for games and a gamer with an ounce knows they have to simply put in a video card in those now and be done with it, so still very simple.

Was at BB yesterday, they now have a PC Gaming Isle, where it used to be games, it is now input devices. Honestly they have to have at least 25 different types of gaming headsets, never seen so many.

I think gamers would love the choice of yearly 100% compatible updates. It's a choice, those with Star Citizen money will upgrade every year (See Apple to) and those that are more frugal maybe once every two or 3 years. But I'd have a hard time thinking if there were a Xbox 361, that offered better frames and AA on without penalty that would have excited the gaming base.

58. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 21:46 xXBatmanXx

What Beamer said.

Moving on:
3D stuff is garbage - we all called it from the get go.(if you didn't - you have more money than common sense) Fad came and went. Next.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

57. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 21:43 xXBatmanXx

avianflu wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 10:50:
PC gaming is doing rather well in the recessionary climate.

Not so sure about the new consoles though. SONY has no money and its stocks are junk status. MS created a livingroom spying device that few people actually want.

In a recession - entertainment rarely suffers.

56. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 20:31 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 20:14:
My point is fellas, is that most of us have been around since the days of sys/bat files, memory managers, etc that most people were unequipped to deal with or couldn't bother whith. Now you just but a home PC with Windows and stuff works. Plus you use it for work as well as home media. So there really isn't a need for consoles anymore. It's all one ubiquitous system. Who doesn't buy a PC anymore - excepting enthusiasts like us - that doesn't go home, plug it in and expect everything to work? Couple that with utilizing the PC as a home media system, work - and yes people still need to actually work on PCs - and the gaming superiority. Why would you get a console after that?

Who doesn't buy a PC anymore - excepting enthusiasts like us - that doesn't come with integrated graphics?

-------------

55. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 20:14 Cutter

My point is fellas, is that most of us have been around since the days of sys/bat files, memory managers, etc that most people were unequipped to deal with or couldn't bother whith. Now you just but a home PC with Windows and stuff works. Plus you use it for work as well as home media. So there really isn't a need for consoles anymore. It's all one ubiquitous system. Who doesn't buy a PC anymore - excepting enthusiasts like us - that doesn't go home, plug it in and expect everything to work? Couple that with utilizing the PC as a home media system, work - and yes people still need to actually work on PCs - and the gaming superiority. Why would you get a console after that?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

54. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2014, 19:42 WaltC

Task wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 16:06:
BitWraith wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 15:28:

Afraid this is true. Anyone who argues that 3D is alive and well in the home is just trying to defend a bad purchase on their part.

I think its alive as far as gaming goes, but for theater ticket adventures or home theater I never see 3D movies, I hate it, since I wear specs, but when gaming I'm closer to my screen so I don't have to wear specs.

As far as gaming goes, "3d" isn't 3d, it is stereoscopy...:) "3d" as a term is commonly misused to replace "stereoscopy" in games today, and is just a marketing term aimed at confusing the simple-minded (like all marketing aims to do.)

"3d" as it relates to games means a simulated 3d (3 dimensions, width, height, and depth) on a 2d screen, that is most commonly accomplished today with 3-dimensional objects comprised of polygons (which require 3d accelerators that have absolutely nothing to do with stereoscopy, aren't used in movies, don't require glasses, etc.) The first successful and *workable* 3d accelerator was the Voodoo 1, made by 3dfx in the mid to late 90's, which was powered by an API called GLIDE inside of Windows (I owned one.)

Stereoscopy, however, dates from the 1800's, actually, and was first used in the US movie theater in the 1950's, requiring the use of red/blue lensed glasses worn in the theater in order to see the so-called "3d" illusions in the movies. Stereoscopic "3d" as seen in movies has always been more of a fad that comes and goes, usually once a 30-year generation (as the next generation has usually never heard the term and so it seems "new" to them, etc.)

Here's a very good article on stereoscopy (called "3d" in the movie biz, and misnamed "3d" in the gaming biz.)

As "3d" in games actually presents the eye and brain with a real x and a real y, but a simulated z (depth) axis, the 3d illusion in a 3d game never requires glasses with differing lenses because it is presented to the user exactly as the human brain sees depth in real life. In stereoscopy, each lens in the glasses admits lightwaves of differing frequencies so that each eye sees something slightly different from the other eye, and when the brain puts the two images together so that they are intelligible, the result is an illusion of depth that is entirely artificial. Because the brain is responsible for the illusion of depth two functioning eyes are required along with lenses which admit differing lightwaves to each eye. People with vision in one eye as opposed to two cannot see the stereoscopic illusion at all; indeed, even in people with two functioning eyes a side-effect of the brain's work to make the images intelligible causes nausea and other uncomfortable effects for some people, as well.

3d gaming, otoh, requires no lenses and the brain needs not to create an illusion since the illusion of the z axis is created on the screen in the same way that depth exists as a real dimension perceivable by people with two eyes, no special lenses, and quite often even by people with a single eye (who with some training can learn to perceive depth with only one eye.)

Often, too, today, "3d" games employ real 3d gaming technology on top of which a stereoscopic layer is put down so that with the right lenses hopefully two illusions of depth are created. Mathematically speaking, though, the only "true" 3d is *not* created by stereoscopy but by 3d-game technology which requires 3d accelerators (made today by AMD and nVidia, and to a much lesser extent, by Intel, too.)

I have come to often hate the distortions and inaccuracies that marketing creates, and the term "3d game" has been badly abused in that manner ever since stereoscopy has come back for another fad run of limited popularity (a few years ago)...!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo