Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

THIEF Patch & Tips

The Eidos Forums have details on a second patch that's now available for THIEF, updating the stealth/action reboot to version 1.2 the next time Steam is restarted. This addresses several issues, and while they expect this to be beneficial to all, they also offer instructions on how to revert to the earlier version, which in a twist, is now considered a beta. Those forums also now have a stickied post on essential tweaks and fixes for the PC edition of the game. Here are the version 1.2 patch notes:

• Fixed an issue where, for some users, controller right stick would not turn the camera and controller hints would not appear.
  • Fixed an issue where, for some users, the keyboard mapping menu would immediately map a key and then hang.
  • Fixed an issue with the fog when SSAA was enabled that was introduced in v1.1.
  • Fixed a crash when the user had 99 saves and tried to access the save menu in game.
  • Added an option to the launcher configuration dialog to run the 32-bit version on a 64-bit machine. The 32-bit version has several features disabled causing it to use less memory, providing a smoother experience for users with lower spec machines. The checkbox for this option can be found in the display tab of the launcher options dialogue.
  • Update: Deploy additional DLLs with the game to avoid issues with corrupt DLLs on user machines, which could cause the game to not start at all.
  • Update: Moved Lockpick and Frame Search helper to the HUD menu and will now also affect mouse/keyboard.
  • WARNING: Disabling Frame Search helper while playing with mouse/keyboard could make it very hard, if not impossible, to find the button.
  • Various performance improvements.
  • Various crash fixes.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 11, 2014, 12:51 Overon

I will seek opinions and videos that don't seem so linear to counter any of my biases.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 11, 2014, 12:49 Jerykk

I understand your points but I repeat my point, you don't need to play the game to have reliable information on it.

Except you just proved my point. You relied on that inaccurate map to inform your assumptions about the game's level design as a whole. As such, your assumptions were mistaken. Similarly, you watched a video of the AI acting stupid and assumed that the AI always acted stupid. Again, misrepresentation.

If you approach something with a strong bias, you will focus solely on examples that support that bias while ignoring examples that don't. Franchise reboots tend to be approached with strong bias, as fans have deeply entrenched notions of what the series should be. There's also a defensive mentality at play. Thief was a fairly niche series and there are people who would never want to see it go mainstream, as it would taint the series in their minds. This happened with DX:HR, XCOM:EU, Tomb Raider and basically every reboot ever. The positive reviews of those games ensured that only the most passionate fans maintained their antagonistic viewpoint while more casual fans learned to accept the new games for what they were. Sadly, THIEF hasn't had that benefit.

37. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 Overon

Jerykk wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 03:23:
Overon wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 01:12:
Okay you win on the bad A.I. point, kind of. Over a decade later and the A.I. of Thief 2014 is on par with the A.I. of Thief 1 and Thief 2.

But you ignored my second point about the level design. I even included a picture. Are you denying that's how the game plays as depicted in that that picture?

Yes. That map was obviously drawn by someone who only watched a playthrough video and didn't actually play the level. There are actually three different ways to get to the jewelry shop and multiple entrances to said shop. The shop itself is three floors with multiple rooms. And that's the smallest level in the game. The level I just beat had branching paths leading to a mansion, which was a huge building with four floors and about 20 rooms. I could do without the linear escapes but really, those comprise maybe 10% of the full mission. You'll spend the vast majority of the mission in the big, complex, open-ended area, just like in the previous games.

Most of the main story levels are designed like that. Branching paths leading to a big, complex, open-ended area, and ending with a brief, linear escape. Side missions skip the intro and escape and just go straight to the open-ended areas where you just have to steal stuff and then return to the starting point.

It's easy to look back at the previous games and remark how large the levels were but it's important to remember how sparse those levels were too. Sure, the maps were big and open-ended but there was a lot of empty space without anything of interest. The levels in THIEF are far more detailed, both in terms of visuals and interactivity. There are more things to steal and more ways to manipulate the environment. As a whole, the environments in THIEF are far more interesting than the ones in the previous games.

As I said before, you need to actually play a game before passing judgment on it, especially when that judgment is based on opinions from other sources. You can't watch a video and then presume to know the entirety of a game's level design or AI. That's like reviewing a movie based on a trailer or a novel based on the first few pages.
I understand your points but I repeat my point, you don't need to play the game to have reliable information on it.

36. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 11, 2014, 12:34 Jerykk

I love how every franchise reboot or spinoff has people who bash on it without even having played it. I've already agreed upon many of the game's issues, like the unnecessary button mashing, occasionally buggy AI, occasional setpieces, inconsistent traversal system, useless map, mediocre writing, etc. Apparently you ignored that fact because it's much easier to believe that I'm only defending the game for... what reasons, exactly? Why would I defend a game I don't genuinely enjoy?

That said, you're right about THIEF not advancing the genre. But then, how many games actually do that? The vast majority of titles within any given genre do not advance their genre in any meaningful way. That doesn't mean they are bad games. It just means they aren't revolutionary. The spectrum of quality consists of more than just "crap" and "revolutionary." THIEF rests comfortably at "solid."

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2014, 12:39.

35. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 11, 2014, 07:18 Mad Max RW

I love how every bad game has a whiteknight. You can't just admit the game has crappy *insert whatever* without deflecting to another.

And I never said it had worse AI than the originals. It just hasn't improved on anything in the stealth genre. I'll probably pick it up on a $2 sale in a few months, just like Invisible War and A:CM.

34. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 11, 2014, 03:23 Jerykk

Overon wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 01:12:
Okay you win on the bad A.I. point, kind of. Over a decade later and the A.I. of Thief 2014 is on par with the A.I. of Thief 1 and Thief 2.

But you ignored my second point about the level design. I even included a picture. Are you denying that's how the game plays as depicted in that that picture?

Yes. That map was obviously drawn by someone who only watched a playthrough video and didn't actually play the level. There are actually three different ways to get to the jewelry shop and multiple entrances to said shop. The shop itself is three floors with multiple rooms. And that's the smallest level in the game. The level I just beat had branching paths leading to a mansion, which was a huge building with four floors and about 20 rooms. I could do without the linear escapes but really, those comprise maybe 10% of the full mission. You'll spend the vast majority of the mission in the big, complex, open-ended area, just like in the previous games.

Most of the main story levels are designed like that. Branching paths leading to a big, complex, open-ended area, and ending with a brief, linear escape. Side missions skip the intro and escape and just go straight to the open-ended areas where you just have to steal stuff and then return to the starting point.

It's easy to look back at the previous games and remark how large the levels were but it's important to remember how sparse those levels were too. Sure, the maps were big and open-ended but there was a lot of empty space without anything of interest. The levels in THIEF are far more detailed, both in terms of visuals and interactivity. There are more things to steal and more ways to manipulate the environment. As a whole, the environments in THIEF are far more interesting than the ones in the previous games.

As I said before, you need to actually play a game before passing judgment on it, especially when that judgment is based on opinions from other sources. You can't watch a video and then presume to know the entirety of a game's level design or AI. That's like reviewing a movie based on a trailer or a novel based on the first few pages.

33. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 11, 2014, 01:12 Overon

32. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 23:06 Jerykk

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 16:47:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 16:39:
Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 16:35:
How many years ago did the original Thief games come out?

How is that relevant? People here are saying that Thief had better AI than the new one. That obviously isn't the case.

It kinda proves the point of the new Thief in 2014 having bad AI when weakly comparing it to instances of bad AI from games that came out 14 and 16 years ago. You made it relevant on your own.

You (and others) made it relevant when you repeatedly stated that the original games had better AI than the new one. That claim is simply untrue. You can't argue that the previous games had better AI and then use their age as a defense when proven wrong.

Every stealth game has instances where the AI behaves in a stupid or broken manner. Hitman, Splinter Cell, Thief, Manhunt, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid, Velvet Assassin, Mark of the Ninja... a quick search on Youtube will turn up videos that make the AI look bad in any of those games. The more popular the game, the more videos you'll find. As the videos I linked to prove, such instances are not accurate representations of the AI as a whole. The AI in the previous Thief games was generally competent, as is the case in the new game.

Look, if it strokes your ego to berate the new Thief game then by all means, carry on. But you really shouldn't try to debate specific points with someone who has played the game for 40 hours and seen 90% of the content while you've only watched a few videos and read a few reviews.

31. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 16:47 Mad Max RW

Jerykk wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 16:39:

How is that relevant? People here are saying that Thief had better AI than the new one. That obviously isn't the case.

It kinda proves the point of the new Thief in 2014 having bad AI when weakly comparing it to instances of bad AI from games that came out 14 and 16 years ago. You made it relevant on your own.

30. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 16:39 Jerykk

29. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 16:35 Mad Max RW

28. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 16:26 Jerykk

Overon wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 14:13:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 05:28:
Overon wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 05:00:
This patch cannot fix the terrible AI and the terribly linear level design.

Have you actually played the game or are you just repeating what the reviews say? Because most of the game is pretty open-ended, with branching paths and secret areas abound. There are occasional setpieces which are very much linear but these are not representative of the game as a whole. Of the 40+ hours I've put into the game, maybe 1 hour of that was spent in linear sequences.

As for AI, yes, it has occasional pathfinding and dialogue issues but by stealth game standards, it's pretty decent. Guards not only react to sight and sound but they notice changes in the environment as well, like doors and safes left open. Bugs aside, the AI is better than it was in the previous games.
I have seen playthrough videos on youtube. The days of having to play a game or read reviews to know something about it are long gone. I can speak intelligently about a game without having had played it. Saves me money and buyer's remorse.

Tell me that this picture is not representative of the game:
http://imageshack.com/a/img837/4504/ksb5.png

Did you watch a playthrough of the entire game? If not, you aren't qualified to judge the level design throughout the entire game. And while you certainly can speak about the game, I wouldn't call it "intelligently" by any means. To do that, you need to actually play the entire game.

OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNGSDrG48mo

I have to assume he wasn't playing on Master difficulty, where the AI is much more perceptive. They'll detect you if you're close enough, even in pitch dark. Again, in the 40 hours I've played (on Master difficulty), the AI has proven pretty decent.

And it's really not hard to find videos of AI acting stupid in any stealth game, especially the original Thief games. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqHB9GpDiA8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bppTXFAxg28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S9tc9_fMmo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKqJVGhhpu0

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2014, 16:38.

27. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 14:15 Overon

I can tell you that situation as shown in the video was not possible in Thief 1 and Thief 2, you know, more than a decade ago.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2014, 01:09.

26. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 14:13 Overon

Jerykk wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 05:28:

Have you actually played the game or are you just repeating what the reviews say? Because most of the game is pretty open-ended, with branching paths and secret areas abound. There are occasional setpieces which are very much linear but these are not representative of the game as a whole. Of the 40+ hours I've put into the game, maybe 1 hour of that was spent in linear sequences.

As for AI, yes, it has occasional pathfinding and dialogue issues but by stealth game standards, it's pretty decent. Guards not only react to sight and sound but they notice changes in the environment as well, like doors and safes left open. Bugs aside, the AI is better than it was in the previous games.
I have seen playthrough videos on youtube. The days of having to play a game or read reviews to know something about it are long gone. I can speak intelligently about a game without having had played it. Saves me money and buyer's remorse.

Tell me that this picture is not representative of the game:
http://imageshack.com/a/img837/4504/ksb5.png

25. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 12:19 Mad Max RW

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 09:37:
JayDeath wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 06:17:
I am having such a great time with this game. I have over 25 hours logged doing quests for Basso, the other guy too and I just finished Chapter 6. I think the graphics and immersion are great. All the bashing is really not fair.
Completely agree with you and Jerykk

The game is definitely in the 75%-88% range. I can see myself replaying this, the atmosphere is beautiful.

People always slam AI but NEVER give reasons as to why it is bad.

OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNGSDrG48mo

24. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 09:37 netnerd85

JayDeath wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 06:17:
I am having such a great time with this game. I have over 25 hours logged doing quests for Basso, the other guy too and I just finished Chapter 6. I think the graphics and immersion are great. All the bashing is really not fair.
Completely agree with you and Jerykk

The game is definitely in the 75%-88% range. I can see myself replaying this, the atmosphere is beautiful.

People always slam AI but NEVER give reasons as to why it is bad.

23. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 08:04 Quinn

Iurand wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 06:53:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 18:24:
Pretty sure the window mashing is there for technical reasons. It keeps the player busy while the next area loads and allows for variable load times. It's a crappy workaround but not uncommon in UE games (see the automatic doors in ME). I'd rather just have a load screen.

There's loading screen after mashing.

There's not. There's the animation you get while mashing, but that quickly faded to black to make way for the loading screen. There's never a loading screen after mashing. Maybe on a very slow rig, but I wouldn't know about that.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

22. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 06:53 Iurand

Jerykk wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 18:24:
Pretty sure the window mashing is there for technical reasons. It keeps the player busy while the next area loads and allows for variable load times. It's a crappy workaround but not uncommon in UE games (see the automatic doors in ME). I'd rather just have a load screen.

There's loading screen after mashing.

21. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 06:17 JayDeath

Steam: Henry Krinkle

I want a new Brothers in Arms game!

20. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 10, 2014, 05:28 Jerykk

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo