Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tomb Raider "Exceeded Profit Expectations"

A message to fans on the Tomb Raider Blog wishes the Tomb Raider reboot a happy birthday, as it was released about one year ago, and speaks optimistically about a follow-up, saying: "We can’t wait to continue our adventures with Lara in the sequel that is in development at Crystal Dynamics" (thanks Eurogamer). This continues the oddly mixed messages about the reception the action/adventure has met with, saying by the end of this month the game will surpass six million units sold, and: "having achieved profitability back in 2013 Tomb Raider has exceeded profit expectations and continues to make significant contributions to our overall financial performance." This is in stark contrast to a statement from Square Enix one month after the game's release citing disappointing sales, which seemed to contrast early reports from Crystal Dynamics the game was setting a sales record. This difference of opinion continues, as now Crystal Dynamics speaks once again of how well the game has performed:

By the end of this month we will surpass 6 million units for our Tomb Raider reboot, and, having achieved profitability back in 2013 Tomb Raider has exceeded profit expectations and continues to make significant contributions to our overall financial performance.

At launch we set franchise records for the fastest selling day one and month one in Tomb Raider history. With the positive word of mouth and continued commercial momentum it’s great to see Tomb Raider (2013) on course to become the best-selling game in the history of the franchise! This would be a crowning achievement for the teams around the world, and one that we have our sights firmly set on!

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 20:25 Cutter

Fuck all this noise. Bring on Triad Wars already!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 18:27 BazzaLB

I loved the game but what impressed me most is they actually properly supported 3DVision with inbuilt depth and convergence sliders. They even fixed the aim crosshair for 3D after release due to request. That was fantastic support. Most developer's can't be arsed with 3D support and if they do, they rarely fix any issues for it after release (they typically break things instead).  
Lurking on Blues since mid nineties

29. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 17:31 dumpy

I'm playing through this at the moment on the PS3 and I am very impressed. The one-dimensional over-sexualised Lara of previous games has been given depth she deserved. The player bears witness to her development as they guide her through combat, puzzles and exploration. It sounds morbid, but I always have a laugh at the death scenes - some of them are very inventive.  

28. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 16:03 saluk

Exceeded profit expectations vs fell short of expectations? There's no doublespeak going on - it's just a difference of whose expectations are being discussed, and whose expectations were actually reasonable  

27. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 15:59 Prez

...as if they invested heavily and only achieved average sales then it can be deemed a disappointment.

I'm not an industry expert or a development guru but I still feel qualified to say that if the numbers that Tomb Raider has pulled in are a disappointment or can be considered "average" I'm pretty sure that either:

A. They invested WAY TOO HEAVILY. I mean if 6 million sales can be even remotely disappointing...

B. Their expectations were so ridiculously unrealistic that they'd be better off listening to a Magic 8-Ball than the projections of in-house "experts".

Don't get me wrong; I get the point that publisher expectations and developer expectations may not always line up, but for anyone to publicly complain that millions of sales in the first few weeks is somehow disappointing comes across as painfully clueless, thus the overall reaction.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 14:47 Steele Johnson

Proof that a quality game sells and not just the name.  

25. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 14:35 Krovven

Just got it for free on PS+ this week!

24. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 14:32 walrus1

Phew good thing they fired those dozen people then!  

23. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 14:22 Verno

panbient wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 14:19:
But they properly cloned Uncharted for the latest game and offered it on all platforms. And the original apparently sold like 7 million copies back in the 90s. So, how were the expectations that flawed?

Tomb Raider had kind of been rebooting itself for a long time though and I'm sure was going through some audience exhaustion. I'm surprised it sold as well it did to be honest.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

22. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 14:19 panbient

Creston wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 13:54:
There is also this thing called reality. Not every game can be Uncharted, GTA or Call of Duty, and not every game can sell like it. Any publisher that pretends their game is going to soar to such heights, history of the franchise be damned (and Tomb Raider had never sold more than ~4 million copies), are a bunch of delusional fucking morons that, again, have no fucking clue what they are doing.

But they properly cloned Uncharted for the latest game and offered it on all platforms. And the original apparently sold like 7 million copies back in the 90s. So, how were the expectations that flawed?

21. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 14:10 Agent.X7

Verno wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 13:59:
There is also this thing called reality. Not every game can be Uncharted, GTA or Call of Duty, and not every game can sell like it. Any publisher that pretends their game is going to soar to such heights, history of the franchise be damned (and Tomb Raider had never sold more than ~4 million copies), are a bunch of delusional fucking morons that, again, have no fucking clue what they are doing.

I totally agree with you Creston but if the budgets come down to more realistic levels then consumer expectations have to do so as well. We would have received a far different Tomb Raider if they had spent half of the money.

It doesn't have to be that way. A lot of "development budget" is eaten by super high salaries of management and ridiculous spending that really has nothing to do with the game.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

20. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 13:59 Verno

I totally agree with you Creston but if the budgets come down to more realistic levels then consumer expectations have to do so as well. We would have received a far different Tomb Raider if they had spent half of the money.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

19. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 13:54 Creston

panbient wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 12:43:
Really? Because it sounds to me more like a situation where CD is only comparing its current sales to its past sales and S-E is comparing them to the industry rather than their personal history. It's a whole hell of a lot easier to make calls for celebration when you're only comparing yourself to your past rather than your current peers.

When the game sold six million copies in its first month, SE pointedly say that it was "less than expected" and "a disappointment."

Now, apparently, they have given to go-ahead for a sequel. Why? So they can be disappointed again?

That's not to say 6 million sales is anything to scoff at or that the initial 3 million in the first week were anything short of extraordinary. But how does it compare to something like the last Uncharted game?

18. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 13:49 Agent.X7

I'm just glad they are making a sequel. I loved it on PS3 and it was even better on PS4. One of the very few games that I have played through multiple times.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

17. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 13:00 theyarecomingforyou

As pointed out, just because it surpassed previous games in the franchise doesn't mean that it is doing well when compared to the rest of the industry. It also depends on how much SE spent advertising the game, as if they invested heavily and only achieved average sales then it can be deemed a disappointment.

Regardless, it was an excellent game and I very much enjoyed it. It took advantage of the PC platform and I respect developers that do that. I look forward to the inevitable sequel.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

16. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 12:43 panbient

Creston wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 11:28:
In other words: Nobody at Square Enix knows what the FUCK they are doing.

Really? Because it sounds to me more like a situation where CD is only comparing its current sales to its past sales and S-E is comparing them to the industry rather than their personal history. It's a whole hell of a lot easier to make calls for celebration when you're only comparing yourself to your past rather than your current peers.

That's not to say 6 million sales is anything to scoff at or that the initial 3 million in the first week were anything short of extraordinary. But how does it compare to something like the last Uncharted game?

15. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 12:38 Prez

Jivaro wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 09:49:
Then again, I have a beef with origin stories in general. I am the guy who keeps wondering how many times we have to see Peter Parker get bit buy the radioactive spider.

No kidding. It's almost like movie producers decided that they can do this "fan fiction" thing that's so popular on the internets so all of them want to make their own version of everything popular. Enough already!**

**Except for the Terminator reboot. The way I see it after the terribly written Terminator Salvation a reboot is the only way we are ever going to get another Terminator movie that has the potential to not suck. :-)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 12:32 Prez

The two face of Square Enix. Which one speaks the truth? Which one is the mask, and which one is the real? Bah, who cares - they just sound clueless.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 11:28 Creston

In other words: Nobody at Square Enix knows what the FUCK they are doing.

It must be a great feeling as a dev to work for a publisher that is so utterly fucking inept. It used to be you could only get that working for EA, but fortunately now there are two of them. Game devs the world over, rejoice!

12. Re: Tomb Raider Mar 7, 2014, 11:27 TangledThorns

Fun game, worth every penny and then some. I hope they use the profits for a bigger sequel!!  

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo