Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2014, 18:28 Beamer

Prez wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 17:51:
Beamer wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 17:16:
Prez wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 16:11:
Spotify, Rhapsody, and Pandora suck in my opinion. I certainly can't DJ off of them when I do gigs, but even without that they don't let you hear exactly what you want to hear when you want to hear it. I suppose they are fine for discovering new music I guess (definitley better than the radio which either plays the same 15 fucking songs over and over and over and... or somehow hasn't figured out that people have heard 'Stairway to Heaven', 'Comfortably Numb', and 'Highway to Hell' so many times that they are on constant repeat in their fucking heads at all times but I digress...). But when I do discover that new band or that new album I immediately head to Amazon MP3 to buy it, not wait until Pandora allows me to skip past the shit to let me hear it again.

Spotify lets you hear what you want to hear when you want to hear it. That's why I use it instead of shit like Rhapsody and Pandora. Spotify has ads every so often, but you hear what you want when you want. I go through whole albums, or I put playlists on shuffle, or I listen to that one song I wanted to hear 3 times in a row. No issues. No limitations. No money exchanged.

Hmm. I thought I tried Spotify but maybe I didn't. Has it always worked that way? Maybe I'm thinking of another one. Anyway, that is admittedly pretty cool, but I prefer MP3's I can download to my tablet or laptop since I DJ places that have spotty wifi or none at all. I have bought a MASSIVE amount of MP3's (over 35000 now in my Amazon account) in part due to discovering new music (or old music that I missed the first time around) on services like Pandora, so I wouldn't say those services don't help push sales at all. Maybe not a whole lot but they do in my case.

On a side note I keep hearing that Pandora's business model is losing them money due to the one-two punch of low revenues paid to them by the Recording Industry for pushing customers to places like iTunes and Amazon and the high royalties they must pay the RIAA to play the music they play. It seems pretty dire (I would imagine Rhapsody and Spotify are in the same boat) so these services might disappear before too long.

Yeah, for DJing it will fall short.
I had about 30% many mp3s as you do. I remember getting my first in 1997 or 1998, when it was a hassle to share because you did your sharing on floppies. Built a huge library, but since Spotify I rarely touch it.

But Spotify has always been that way, for me at least, and I was an early adopter there, too. I use it just like Winamp, only with a much larger library. When it started I estimated that 70% of what I wanted to listen to was there. At this point it's more like 90%. But it's so nice to just pop it up and get to nearly anything ever made.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2014, 17:51 Prez

Beamer wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 17:16:
Spotify, Rhapsody, and Pandora suck in my opinion. I certainly can't DJ off of them when I do gigs, but even without that they don't let you hear exactly what you want to hear when you want to hear it. I suppose they are fine for discovering new music I guess (definitley better than the radio which either plays the same 15 fucking songs over and over and over and... or somehow hasn't figured out that people have heard 'Stairway to Heaven', 'Comfortably Numb', and 'Highway to Hell' so many times that they are on constant repeat in their fucking heads at all times but I digress...). But when I do discover that new band or that new album I immediately head to Amazon MP3 to buy it, not wait until Pandora allows me to skip past the shit to let me hear it again.

Spotify lets you hear what you want to hear when you want to hear it. That's why I use it instead of shit like Rhapsody and Pandora. Spotify has ads every so often, but you hear what you want when you want. I go through whole albums, or I put playlists on shuffle, or I listen to that one song I wanted to hear 3 times in a row. No issues. No limitations. No money exchanged.

Hmm. I thought I tried Spotify but maybe I didn't. Has it always worked that way? Maybe I'm thinking of another one. Anyway, that is admittedly pretty cool, but I prefer MP3's I can download to my tablet or laptop since I DJ places that have spotty wifi or none at all. I have bought a MASSIVE amount of MP3's (over 35000 now in my Amazon account) in part due to discovering new music (or old music that I missed the first time around) on services like Pandora, so I wouldn't say those services don't help push sales at all. Maybe not a whole lot but they do in my case.

On a side note I keep hearing that Pandora's business model is losing them money due to the one-two punch of low revenues paid to them by the Recording Industry for pushing customers to places like iTunes and Amazon and the high royalties they must pay the RIAA to play the music they play. It seems pretty dire (I would imagine Rhapsody and Spotify are in the same boat) so these services might disappear before too long.

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2014, 17:58.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2014, 17:16 Beamer

-------------

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2014, 16:11 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2014, 14:08 swedishfriend

Beamer wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 10:58:
NegaDeath wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 10:30:
Well shit look at that, piracy is down. And not because of their legal goons suing grandmothers. It's almost like customers wanted distribution schemes that match the modern age rather than just having to pirate stuff or buy discs. Weird.

Yeah, but that's a hollow victory. That means that, in order to stop piracy, they had to give it away for free. Which is basically what Spotify is. No one makes money via Spotify, not even Spotify, though they make more than the labels or artists do.

It isn't a very good solution if you want to make money off of music. Having a high percentage pirate and a small percentage buy was probably more profitable.

That said, I love Spotify.

Good thing people are spending more than ever to buy music. I gave up on Spotify as music I was looking for wasn't on there and more is disappearing. There is probably 100 times as many artists who can make a living off of their music since filesharing came along. More money is being spent on buying music while the top 40 suffers. This means a great democratization of spending on music is happening as money is spread out to many more artists.

4. Re: RE: Follow up Mar 7, 2014, 11:23 Beamer

UConnBBall wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 11:17:
I no one is making money means, BUT do people that make music need millions for the top 1% and the rest just chase the masses?

Seems that the Indie scene has tripled over the last 3 or 4 years. I am glad were music is now. SOOO much better then 20 years ago. EXCEPT for the Executives and "Super Stars."

The last 3 or 4 years?
How old are you?

That was really due to macbooks, anyway. It used to be that, in order to make music, you needed at least a day in a very expensive studio. Now you need a MacBook. That's one of the biggest pushes of indie music, which has been on an upswing for over 15 years.

Do people need to make millions? No, but they need to make money. Touring is very expensive. I don't know how you define "indie," but most bands I listen to tour in a van they bought for a few hundred bucks. They give up their day jobs to go play in front of 15 kids in Iowa. It's not glamorous, and they make their money by merch sales, which for a long while included CDs above all. Back in 2002 they were basically saying that mp3s were great because it got more kids to shows and those kids had more money for merch. Then, by the time Spotify hit, those bands were slower to adapt, having gone through this and realized it didn't really work the way it initially seemed it would.

Speaking of changing minds, look at Trent Reznor. Gave some albums away for free. Recently told NPR "My album costs $15 dollars. You want my music, you pay $15." Of course, he also started one of these services, but he is no longer in the business of making only a little bit of money for album sales.

So do people need to make millions? Probably not. Do athletes need to? How about people on TV? But they need to earn a living. Spotify, right now, isn't really doing a good job of allowing that.

This is coming from someone that hasn't purchased an album in years and listens to almost everything on Spotify. If it isn't on Spotify, it doesn't exist to me anymore (which is why many labels begrudgingly came to it.) But, while Spotify is great for me, it isn't great for artists. I don't think that's a hard thing for anyone to see, except for people that only see from their point of view, which is sadly common (and also why so many morons don't understand when I explain a point of view other than their own, why I need this paragraph, and why some idiot with a low IQ is still going to call me a shill for major labels.) There is almost definitely a better model that can be worked out.

-------------

3. Re: RE: Follow up Mar 7, 2014, 11:17 UConnBBall

I no one is making money means, BUT do people that make music need millions for the top 1% and the rest just chase the masses?

Seems that the Indie scene has tripled over the last 3 or 4 years. I am glad were music is now. SOOO much better then 20 years ago. EXCEPT for the Executives and "Super Stars."

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2014, 10:58 Beamer

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 10:30:
Well shit look at that, piracy is down. And not because of their legal goons suing grandmothers. It's almost like customers wanted distribution schemes that match the modern age rather than just having to pirate stuff or buy discs. Weird.

Yeah, but that's a hollow victory. That means that, in order to stop piracy, they had to give it away for free. Which is basically what Spotify is. No one makes money via Spotify, not even Spotify, though they make more than the labels or artists do.

It isn't a very good solution if you want to make money off of music. Having a high percentage pirate and a small percentage buy was probably more profitable.

That said, I love Spotify.

-------------

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2014, 10:30 NegaDeath

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo