Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

This evening marks the beginning of a National Day of Unplugging, which suggests disconnecting from our cell phones and other digital tethers for 24 hours might do some of us good. Here's CNN's explanation: "Although the official holiday lasts for just 24 hours, the idea is to create more awareness of how we interact with our devices and the impact this has on our work, family and mental health. Then people can take smaller steps to carve out device-free pockets of time during the day and eventually find a balance that works for them."

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Forbidden Arms.
Hedgehogs Paradise.
Harmony of Elements.
Story: Better Use Those Points- The Sad Decay of Frequent Flyer Programs.
Science: Navy will deploy first ship with laser weapon this summer.
Media: GRAND THEFT AUTO 5 - Counting Stars (OneRepublic Parody).
Auctions: The Bike From 'Pee-Wee Herman's Big Adventure' Is Up for Auction on eBay.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Unplug? Mar 9, 2014, 13:12 Ant

Unplug? Not until I am dead.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 8, 2014, 14:44 HorrorScope

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 8, 2014, 10:22:
Because your behavior is showing to the person you are physically with that you'd rather be hanging out and talking with someone else, an act which is hurtful and rude?

Now that could happen, but I think a lot of this isn't that. Yes if I came over to visit and you didn't give me your time and were locked into something else, phones or whatever else. That is rude. I think this conversation is beyond that simple situation and into a much more invisible one.

31. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 8, 2014, 14:42 HorrorScope

Quboid wrote on Mar 8, 2014, 09:57:
Why is being engaged in a conversation with someone physically beside you so much better than being engaged in a conversation with someone who isn't?

When you're getting grumpy at people in restaurants looking at their phones, ask yourself: who's the idiot here? Is it:

a) The person who is doing what they want and communicating with who they want, because they're not having the meal-time experience that you would want?

b) The person who is so focussed on the irrelevant actions of other diners, they seemingly get annoyed and so don't have the meal-time experience that they would want.

In my book, the people moaning about people using their phones are the fools and are often the rude ones. Some prick taking a phone call in a nice restaurant is definitely the rudest, but when it's a choice between someone quietly checking the weather forecast on their phone and Judgey McJudgerson then McJudgerson is both rude and foolish.

We are on the same page. And when someone is starring at their phone assume they are reading today's newspaper or book. All socially acceptable things for ages. Now if they are starring at a black screen, then that is odd. My guess is others think we spend too much time on our pc's.

If one has problems with small things like this, assume the world if you were in charge would be no better than what we have today. You think you are all about freedom, but only if it's done as you say.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2014, 14:36 HorrorScope

Quboid wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 22:05:
Cutter wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 20:43:
My brother and mom are on their phones all the time. All...the...fucking...time. And it's all bullshit. They're just talking shit with people. Wasting a $100 to yammer with people about nothing all day long.

They do, I presume, have free will? They are doing this by choice? Just because it seems like a waste of time to you doesn't mean that they're not gaining some value from it.

If you don't want a cell phone that's your business but complaining about what other people are choosing to do because you wouldn't choose to do it is old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn territory.

This. There is a phenomenon they haven't catched onto yet. The Rage people have when others nearby are on the phone talking/texting to someone else. There is some type of unknown jealousy going on. See it all the time, not sure what psychology is going on, but something makes people upset when others are on their phones.

But again unplugging for a day does what? They think we are going to say "You know, guess what I don't need this. I can go camping instead (March 8th) from now on. Make fire, cook meat." And then the next day happens and it's all back to their normal.

29. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 8, 2014, 11:12 Quboid

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 8, 2014, 10:22:
Why is being engaged in a conversation with someone physically beside you so much better than being engaged in a conversation with someone who isn't?

Because your behavior is showing to the person you are physically with that you'd rather be hanging out and talking with someone else, an act which is hurtful and rude? Look, I don't give a shit, and people can do what they want in this regard, but your question was far less rhetorical than you thought.

That was a general point, referring to people like Cutter's family. I then went on to talk about when out with your significant other but even still, that's a glass-half-empty point of view. It could also be showing my S.O. that although I need to talk to someone else, I'd rather be hanging out with you.

There's any number of legitimate reasons for one person to use a phone for some of the time; perhaps they're writing a text message that the other person has just spent most of the meal persuading them to send or perhaps they're checking what films are on at the nearest cinema for them to go to next. You alluded to this in a reply to Agent.X7 so I'm not entirely clear where you stand on this issue.

If one person in a couple spends much of the meal staring at their phone then it is probable that they're being rude. However, if you're keeping an eye on them enough to know that then it's definite that you're being rude both to them and to whoever you're with.

If both people are doing it ("at dinner sitting across from each other staring at their phones" - MajorD) then this is clearly something that works for them. Or they've had a massive row, in which case the distraction might be the only thing keeping them civil.

In either case, it's no one else's business and those who do let it get under their skin are, in my view, being very foolish and quite rude. Unless you get clear evidence that one person at another table is being rude without unduly examining them, then passing judgement on them is as rude as anything they could be doing.

- Quboid

28. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 8, 2014, 10:22 Scottish Martial Arts

Because your behavior is showing to the person you are physically with that you'd rather be hanging out and talking with someone else, an act which is hurtful and rude? Look, I don't give a shit, and people can do what they want in this regard, but your question was far less rhetorical than you thought.

27. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 8, 2014, 09:57 Quboid

When you're getting grumpy at people in restaurants looking at their phones, ask yourself: who's the idiot here? Is it:

a) The person who is doing what they want and communicating with who they want, because they're not having the meal-time experience that you would want?

b) The person who is so focussed on the irrelevant actions of other diners, they seemingly get annoyed and so don't have the meal-time experience that they would want.

In my book, the people moaning about people using their phones are the fools and are often the rude ones. Some prick taking a phone call in a nice restaurant is definitely the rudest, but when it's a choice between someone quietly checking the weather forecast on their phone and Judgey McJudgerson then McJudgerson is both rude and foolish.

- Quboid

26. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 8, 2014, 01:48 Mr. Tact

MajorD wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 17:06:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 16:48:
MajorD wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 11:05:
I think this is a great idea for awareness. I don't know how many times I've been out to dinner and seen people sitting across from each other engaged in very little to no conversation with their faces lit up by their phones. It's pretty sad.

Well, obviously they are texting EACH OTHER. That's just how the young generation communicates.

LOL! Yeah, really.

I'm surprised to see older people doing it too. Not the texting thing, but at dinner sitting across from each other staring at their phones. ....heck, maybe they're texting each other too, or their lovers. DOH!
Depends on how long you observe them... it is pretty common when I get together with my friends we will be talking about something and one of us goes to our phone to verify information. A quick glance and you might see several of us looking at our phones, but if you watched for a while you would see we are engaged in conversation.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2014, 00:25 Scottish Martial Arts

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 20:37:
If you cannot tell the difference between looking at a screen while walking and looking at a screen while stationary, you are beyond my capacity to help you understand.

Also, shockingly, guns do not kill people all by their lonesome. You know, being inanimate objects and all.

In the first case you're harming no one; in the second you're ignoring your wife on a dinner out. Responding to business needs justifies ignoring your wife so don't judge? How do you know the person responding to a text while walking hasn't just received news that grandma had a stroke? Look I get that when you're texting while walking you could accidentally step in front of a bus, but if the example you used was the high school quad, then the greatest danger is stepping into a light pole or bumping into someone, hardly horrible things; certainly no worse than rationalizing ignoring a loved one on what is ostensibly special time spent together. Look I don't give a shit one way or another -- in fact I totally get what you were saying about putting out a fire at work, or simply being tired and not having much to say, and am just giving you a hard time -- but don't try to have it both ways with regard to judgement. If an outside observer doesn't know the whole story and as a consequence shouldn't judge you, then what privileges you to judge without knowing the full story of someone to whom you are merely an outside observer? That's what I'm trying to point out. So knock it off with the snide insults to my intelligence, mmm-kay?

As for guns, you're right the gun doesn't kill, but then neither does the person. The person just squeezes a trigger: it's the inanimate objects of the bullets which actually inflict the internal trauma which kills someone. Likewise, lethal accidental discharges are quite common: if man is the only killer and a gun merely a hunk of metal, who is the killer in such a situation when the user of the gun never had any intent to kill? See how fun splitting hairs is? I'm not trying to get into a gun control debate here though. The point is that you can't separate a tool or a technology from its user in trying to assign moral blame because the two are functionally one unit. A hammer is just a piece of metal without a carpenter, but then a carpenter isn't really a carpenter if he doesn't have any tools of the tools he must have in order to build something. Likewise, cellphones may be useless hunks of plastic and metal without users, but users who use cellphones to their own detriment probably wouldn't be doing so if they didn't have a cellphone. See how you can't just separate the man from the machine and pretend there is no relation between the too?

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2014, 00:34.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2014, 22:05 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 20:43:
My brother and mom are on their phones all the time. All...the...fucking...time. And it's all bullshit. They're just talking shit with people. Wasting a $100 to yammer with people about nothing all day long.

They do, I presume, have free will? They are doing this by choice? Just because it seems like a waste of time to you doesn't mean that they're not gaining some value from it.

If you don't want a cell phone that's your business but complaining about what other people are choosing to do because you wouldn't choose to do it is old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn territory.

- Quboid

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2014, 20:43 Cutter

Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 14:14:
Heh, don't even own a cell phone and probably never will. I like not being available 24\7... and seeing how my friends are attached to their devices all the friken time doesn't give me any incentive to get on board either.

Zackly! My brother and mom are on their phones all the time. All...the...fucking...time. And it's all bullshit. They're just talking shit with people. Wasting a $100 to yammer with people about nothing all day long.

No, it is a good thing for people to switch off and notice the world around them. Stop and smell the roses, literally.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2014, 20:37 Agent.X7

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 16:02:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 14:07:
It's not the tech, it's the person using it.

That sounds suspiciously like "Guns don't kill people; people kill people." Look I get the whole "the world changes and you have to be able to adapt to change" bit but that doesn't mean that it's not a worthwhile to question to ask if the world is changing for the better. You aren't going to be able to evaluate whether technology is actually improving your life if you don't take a step back from it every now and then.

Also I'm surprised you didn't notice the irony of calling people using their phone while walking stupid, and then demanding that you not be judged for using you phone while at dinner with your wife.

If you cannot tell the difference between looking at a screen while walking and looking at a screen while stationary, you are beyond my capacity to help you understand.

Also, shockingly, guns do not kill people all by their lonesome. You know, being inanimate objects and all.

Re: Verno's comment - Yeah man, I don't let my phone go off in a restaurant like that. I actually asked a family behind us last night to please turn down their son's 3DS that he was playing at max volume. People don't seem to care that other people have the same right to enjoy themselves and don't want your noises intruding on them. (I am drilling this into my young daughter on a daily basis.)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2014, 19:57 HorrorScope

harlock wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 16:06:
if you need a national holiday to tell you how to conduct yourself

This. What are they hoping? That we'll get some Monk like enlightenment and change? And then what the economy crashes? What is the point of it?

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2014, 19:45 Yosemite Sam

BobBob wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 16:48:
Heh, don't even own a cell phone and probably never will. I like not being available 24\7... and seeing how my friends are attached to their devices all the friken time doesn't give me any incentive to get on board either.

There's quite a bit of irony with your commentary and the signature that follows.

Why? Never said I don't like technology, definitely really like my video games. In fact my gaming totally represents my position. I've setup my PS3 to not automatically log in when I start it. I log in when I feel like logging in and almost never log in to play solo.

Yosemite_SLAM wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 18:22:
Yose - Are you my evil twin or something?

Oh and I don't own a cell phone. Never have and never will. Pisses off the bosses but I like it that way. If they need to reach me they can do it on the land line when I'm working.

Maybe I'm 'the rabbit' in disguise, or maybe you are, ya flea bitten varmint

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2014, 18:22 Yosemite_SLAM

Yose - Are you my evil twin or something?

Oh and I don't own a cell phone. Never have and never will. Pisses off the bosses but I like it that way. If they need to reach me they can do it on the land line when I'm working.

18. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 7, 2014, 17:28 BobBob

I HATE when people text while driving.  

17. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 7, 2014, 17:06 MajorD

jdreyer wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 16:48:
I think this is a great idea for awareness. I don't know how many times I've been out to dinner and seen people sitting across from each other engaged in very little to no conversation with their faces lit up by their phones. It's pretty sad.

Well, obviously they are texting EACH OTHER. That's just how the young generation communicates.

LOL! Yeah, really.

I'm surprised to see older people doing it too. Not the texting thing, but at dinner sitting across from each other staring at their phones. ....heck, maybe they're texting each other too, or their lovers. DOH!

16. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 7, 2014, 16:48 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2014, 16:48 BobBob

There's quite a bit of irony with your commentary and the signature that follows.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2014, 16:06 harlock

if you need a national holiday to tell you how to conduct yourself and structure your life, then you are a failed experiment...

#SelfDisciplineIsTrendingNow!

#gottacatchemall

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo