Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans

An Indiegogo confirms rumors (threats?) of plans for a sequel to Shaq-Fu, the brawler that put the FU into fighting games (their motto is, "this time we wont fu it all up"). The page includes an explanation of how the original game starring now retired basketball star Shaquille O'Neil came to be: "Most celebrity games take a well known face and build a crappy game around it, knowing it will sell." They go on to explain their goal is to "build a game that would kick ass even without Shaq." For his part, Shaq tells SI.com the original wasn't awful, because it made money. ''When you talk about the worst, you've got to talk about sales," said O'Neal. "I actually sold a lot of games, but when I did the first `Shaq-Fu,' that was at the end of analog right before digital came out. It wasn't a bad game. It wasn't a good game, but it wasn't awful.'' The campaign is looking to raise $450,000, and this trailer outlines their plans.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 8, 2014, 00:48 killer_roach

nin wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 08:53:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 02:14:
Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 22:32:
Saboth wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 20:56:
Shaq has a reported net worth of 350+ million dollars. They want 450k to make a game about him. Seems like if he had faith in it, he'd put up most/all of it, for a return on investment?

I was just going to add that myself. Just say no to funding mufti-millionaires who can easily fund their own projects.

Agreed. Put up or shut the fuck up, Shaq.

Let's not forget this guy rented 400 apartments for hurricane katrina victims.

If you're not sure a project is going to be successful, crowdsourcing will give you a pretty good idea, up front. I suspect that's why he did it.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the higher-tier rewards for this project are just simply "fun" things, which would indicate just that. Heck, there's a couple of those that I'd consider if I had the money to do so, and that's even with the realization that the game might not ever come out (and, even if it did, that it might not be any good).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 7, 2014, 09:46 Topevoli

Make it a Battletoads-ish game with Shaq and take my damn money.  

13. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 7, 2014, 08:53 nin

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 02:14:
Shaq has a reported net worth of 350+ million dollars. They want 450k to make a game about him. Seems like if he had faith in it, he'd put up most/all of it, for a return on investment?

I was just going to add that myself. Just say no to funding mufti-millionaires who can easily fund their own projects.

Let's not forget this guy rented 400 apartments for hurricane katrina victims.

If you're not sure a project is going to be successful, crowdsourcing will give you a pretty good idea, up front. I suspect that's why he did it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 7, 2014, 02:15 Agent.X7

Sepharo wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 22:49:
"[T]he first `Shaq-Fu,' that was at the end of analog right before digital came out."

Good ol' analog videogames.

Yet another reason celebrity spokesmanship is fail.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

11. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 7, 2014, 02:14 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

10. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 6, 2014, 22:49 Sepharo

"[T]he first `Shaq-Fu,' that was at the end of analog right before digital came out."

Good ol' analog videogames.

9. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 6, 2014, 22:32 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

8. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 6, 2014, 20:56 Saboth

7. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 6, 2014, 19:53 HorrorScope

Is Ernie Johnson in it? It needs EJ.  

6. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 6, 2014, 19:00 jdreyer

Well, it's indiegogo so they can take the money and run, but I'll stuff minced ghost chili up my nose if this clears $100K.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

5. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 6, 2014, 18:30 Cutter

Oh so making money is the qualifier if something is awful or not? Yeah, ok. Rolleyes

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

4. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 6, 2014, 18:22 Julio

"Most celebrity games take a well known face and build a crappy game around it, knowing it will sell."

And Shaq-Fu was different? I don't recall it being very good.

3. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 6, 2014, 18:15 PropheT

Next thing you know they'll be announcing a sequel to Steel.  

2. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 6, 2014, 17:54 Beamer

It's a hysterical idea, but it came out at a time that few games seemed to know they were hysterical and get that tone right, so they were just lame.

But now? An arcade game where you're a super jacked Shaq, who's now near 50, beating the crap out of people in a very over the top way could actually be pretty funny since it now clearly knows it's funny.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 6, 2014, 17:48 Eirikrautha

Oh, heeeeeeeeeeell no!  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer