Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MS Planning DirectX 12

Microsoft has launched a new DirectX blog and DirectX 12 Twitter account indicating another version is in the works, with the motto on the Twitter account stating "#DirectX12 is coming... follow us for the latest news." This contradicts other indications they might be phasing out the API collection. This goes along with a GDC 2014 Session titled "DirectX: Evolving Microsoft's Graphics Platform (Presented by Microsoft)." Here's word on DirectX 12 from the session summary:

For nearly 20 years, DirectX has been the platform used by game developers to create the fastest, most visually impressive games on the planet.

However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware. You also asked us for better tools so that you can squeeze every last drop of performance out of your PC, tablet, phone and console.

Come learn our plans to deliver.

View
94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

34. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 11:46 Acleacius

Absolutely no reason, to trust m$ !  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 11:43 Bundy

KilrathiAce wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 11:42:
Dont block windows 7 from having dx12 just cause you wanna sell more win8.... How about come up with real reason to get new OS...

they've done this with every iteration of windows since XP. I dont see why they would change it now. Especially when they're having trouble convincing people to upgrade from 7

32. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 11:42 KilrathiAce

Dont block windows 7 from having dx12 just cause you wanna sell more win8.... How about come up with real reason to get new OS...

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

31. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 11:34 Creston

We're putting two 'new' features in and making it Win 8.1 exclusive! It's a new DirectX! Your games will look and play absolutely not a cent better because of it! Upgrade now! No, really, upgrade now! Please? OH GOD, PEOPLE, WHAT WILL IT TAKE FOR YOU TO LOVE WINDOWS 8???!

30. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 11:27 jacobvandy

BitWraith wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 10:54:
The interesting part of this announcement is how much further behind it's going to put the new console generation graphically.

Are you sure about that? I guess we'd need to know more about the GPUs inside the consoles, but for example, Mantle supports AMD chips as old as the HD 7000 series, which existed in 2011, with a simple driver update. That's because of their Nintendo GameCube architecture that is shared across all of their products since then. Provided this isn't an overnight development, as I doubt it is, I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbone and PS4 can receive DX12 support via some extensive firmware update. And if they can't, there's nothing stopping them from releasing a refresh in a couple of years with new GPUs. It wouldn't be the first time a console had some segregation in hardware requirements between games.

29. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 11:22 SpectralMeat

I doubt we will need new hardware to run DX12.
If the graphics hardware in the current gaming consoles don't support DX12 you bet there won't be too many dev studio that will take "advantage" of the technology because they want their games to be on the console.

The handful of PC exclusive game devs will make sure the game will run on a wide variety of PCs, because they can not afford to sell the Win8 only crowd.

Steam: SpectralMeat

28. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 11:21 Burrito of Peace

nin wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:23:

What have they done lately that's been successful?

Besides SQL Server, Windows 2012 R2, Microsoft Enterprise Services, product support services, Visual Studio, System Center products, Forefront security products, Biz Talk Server, MSDN, and other enterprise leveled products and services? The ones that generated billions in revenue and where MS is concentrating most of its development and sales? MS dabbles in the home market, with their serious effort really being the Xbox division but make no mistake enterprise is where everyone that is a multitier company makes their money these days. Do you think it's coincidence that Windows 7 and Server 2008 were similar? Or Server 2012 and Windows 8? Hell, in Windows 7 and 8, you can turn them in to basically home servers as they include IIS, file transfer services and some basic user management services. All directly lineal from their server roots.

nin wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:23:
And most corps aren't using DX.

Wrong. Most corporate users use DirectX every day. DirectDraw, DirectSound, DirectInput and .NET support come to mind quickly. Even if a corporate user never fires up so much as a Facebook game, those are in use by Windows on their IT provided boxes every day.

On the home front, I couldn't care less what Microsoft does anymore since it's all a trickle down effect from their enterprise efforts. The big money right now is in virtualization and a lot of money has gone in to Hyper-V to combat EXSi and vSphere. So much development has gone in to virtualization that even the Xbox One itself has a bare metal hypervisor built in to it to manage the two overlaying OSes it runs. Regardless of your personal opinion of the Xbox One, from a technical perspective...it's a Hell of a machine and a hint toward the future that MS sees for the office and for the home.

We need to stop thinking of the Microsoft of the 90s. It's dead. They don't make a plethora of hardware products any longer, they don't maintain wildly disparate and separate code bases between server and client OSes and since making significant inroads with Exchange, Active Directory, Windows and SQL Server, they're not as invested in the consumer desktop OS market. There's just not enough money in the retail consumer space to warrant their former attention. Sure, Windows 8 was a bad launch. So was Vista...and then we got Windows 7. They'll release Windows 9...sometime and it'll probably be just as awesome as Windows 7 was and everyone will once again say how awesome the Windows desktop is. Windows 9 will probably be based around Server 2012 R2, which is extremely awesome as far as a Windows server OS goes being both very stable and quite fast, and contain the minor UI tweaks that people want. It'll sell like contraband ice cream at a fat camp.

THAT'S MS today. That is MS of the future. They're not going to go back and cater to grandma and you because, quite simply, you and grandma don't drop millions of dollars per order. Think of them as becoming Red Hat of the Windows world.

27. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 11:18 Bundy

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 11:09:
The question if it will require 8/8.1 to use is a good one. I also wonder if it will require a hardware refresh as well like past DX releases? AMD managed to implement Mantle for already existing hardware.

Not sure if we'll need new hardware, but I think we can almost guarantee you'll need win8 or better. This is exactly what they want, "hey gamers! Want all your games to be way faster? You better upgrade!"

26. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 11:09 NegaDeath

The question if it will require 8/8.1 to use is a good one. I also wonder if it will require a hardware refresh as well like past DX releases? AMD managed to implement Mantle for already existing hardware.  

25. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 11:08 harlock

Bundy wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:51:
Love them or hate them, they're not going away for a long time. I think we can stop with the doom and gloom predictions

if you only knew the power of the wishful-thinking side...

24. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 11:07 HorrorScope

BitWraith wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 10:54:
The interesting part of this announcement is how much further behind it's going to put the new console generation graphically.

Embarrassingly bad. That's what you get when you go AMD, lol.

23. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 11:05 HorrorScope

Didn't think this had to be said...

MS makes a lot of money with back-end and business products through contracts. We are talking from a consumer gamers perspective, which is just a very small piece. As a company they are doing great overall, for what we care about, they are not. That is why there has been talks for a long time to split up parts of the company. So in one way we look silly talking about how badly they are doing, but when it comes to what we care about... they are doing quite bad.

22. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 10:54 BitWraith

21. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 09:59 InBlack

MS made something like 78 billion in revenue last year. That's not because retailers all bought tons of MS products that nobody in the whole world wants and it sits on the shelf forever. I hear this every year, and every year they somehow make more money than the year before. Love them or hate them, they're not going away for a long time. I think we can stop with the doom and gloom predictions

I agree. They are simply everywhere, the brand recognition and name is enough for most users.

I have a nifty blue line!

20. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 09:57 Flo

MS made something like 78 billion in revenue last year. That's not because retailers all bought tons of MS products that nobody in the whole world wants and it sits on the shelf forever. I hear this every year, and every year they somehow make more money than the year before. Love them or hate them, they're not going away for a long time. I think we can stop with the doom and gloom predictions
+1

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

19. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 09:51 Bundy

18. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 09:46 InBlack

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:35:
Flo wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:31:
What have they done that's been successful?
Well for example posting record revenues despite pushing out
mediocre products!
Where did that record revenue came from?
Xbox 360 sales and Win7 sales?
I doubt the bone or Win8 sells so well.

People dont realize that for most consumer products Microsoft gets their money from the retailers. The retailers buy MS products at a discount and then the shit just sits there on the shelves. The retailers themselves dont have to sell a single product, in the long run this will eventually translate into poor sales for Microsoft but in the short/medium term new MS products will still make big bucks. (For MS, not for the retailers). This is why the Xbone is doing so well worldwide. I guess there are those who sell on comission but most retailers in the world buy their shit in advance, and return the shit if dont sell but as a rule returns are allowed after 6 months minimum.

I have a nifty blue line!

17. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 09:45 HorrorScope

Here are the words that resonate:

"However, you asked us to do more."
"You asked us"
"You also asked us"

We've also asked for better PC Gaming support for so long, we quit around 10 years of asking.

We are asking for this to be for Win 7 as well, but are almost certain it will be Win 8 only.

So don't be selective and use "because we asked you delivered", you've done way too much damage not listening, it's just insulting to read. You brought it on yourself. Don't want to hear this is just another Blues News bitcher, it is reality.

16. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 09:44 Flo

They can afford that.
I know that the Azure and Visual Studio divisions are nothing like the "old" MS. As soon as the rest of MS adapts to their standards, they will push out decent products again.
I always thought Win 8 would have been great if they just made boot to desktop the default mode and added a slim little quick search start menu with last used pinned programs. All the hate would have gone away. That move was really really stupid.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

15. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 09:35 SpectralMeat

Flo wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:31:
What have they done that's been successful?
Well for example posting record revenues despite pushing out
mediocre products!
Where did that record revenue came from?
Xbox 360 sales and Win7 sales?
I doubt the bone or Win8 sells so well.

Steam: SpectralMeat

94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo