Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MS Planning DirectX 12

Microsoft has launched a new DirectX blog and DirectX 12 Twitter account indicating another version is in the works, with the motto on the Twitter account stating "#DirectX12 is coming... follow us for the latest news." This contradicts other indications they might be phasing out the API collection. This goes along with a GDC 2014 Session titled "DirectX: Evolving Microsoft's Graphics Platform (Presented by Microsoft)." Here's word on DirectX 12 from the session summary:

For nearly 20 years, DirectX has been the platform used by game developers to create the fastest, most visually impressive games on the planet.

However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware. You also asked us for better tools so that you can squeeze every last drop of performance out of your PC, tablet, phone and console.

Come learn our plans to deliver.

View
94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

74. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 17:27 Bundy

Prez wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 17:23:
What I am interested in is an API that works on Linux. Does OpenGL do that? If so, screw DirectX. Given how Valve has made a push towards Linux AND how much clout they have in the industry, I'm hoping 2014 is the year where the majority of games made can run on Linux too. I am very very intent on shedding mhyself of all things Microsoft.

while more competition in the gaming space is always good, I'm not sold on Linux coming to rescue all us poor folks locked on windows. AMD still hasn't gotten their Linux drivers working great, and its still a tiny percentage of pc's.

I wonder, is it the same folks coming down on windows phone as being insignificant and about to die, the same group that defends Linux as a strong alternative?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 17:23 Prez

What I am interested in is an API that works on Linux. Does OpenGL do that? If so, screw DirectX. Given how Valve has made a push towards Linux AND how much clout they have in the industry, I'm hoping 2014 is the year where the majority of games made can run on Linux too. I am very very intent on shedding mhyself of all things Microsoft.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

72. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 16:49 dj LiTh

Beamer wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:44:
Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:18:
Actually, Windows Phone has been rapidly gaining market share over the past year. This is due to the decline of iPhone and Blackberry sales and all the problems associated with Android security and OS fragmentation. Also, Surface RT hasn't been that big of a hit, but Surface Pro 2 is becoming the laptop replacement of choice for businesses. A couple more iterations of the Surface and it will be a game changer. The video out is pretty high res for an extension monitor and you can pretty much run any MS app on it, even developer tools.

So don't let all the hipster hate skew the facts.

Personally, I have mostly Apple devices as a consumer, but they haven't really added many productivity features for business, and 99% of the apps on the app store are useless. For consumer, sure a simple to use dumbed-down device like Apple is where it's at, but for productivity, I wouldn't even think of using Apple unless you want to pay your employees to reinvent the wheel.

Windows Phone is gaining in share, from tiny to slightly less tiny.
The bulk of the BB and iPhone attrition is going to Android.

I have an Icon. I love my Icon. But it's very, very far from a 3 horse race right now.

Having recently tried my friends high end nokia winphone really wowed me. I've had iphones, i've had a ton of androids, next phone for me will be from nokia /w win on it.

71. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 16:46 DangerDog

Just bought a new graphics card, time to buy a new graphics card.  

70. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 16:43 Shineyguy

Bundy wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:45:
I want an Icon. Stupid Canada.

I want an Icon. Stupid Verizon.

(Current owner of a Day 1 Lumia 920)

69. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 16:41 avianflu

Devs went ballistic over the changes made in OpenGL 3. It basically killed 90% of dev interest in OpenGL.  

68. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 16:18 Redmask

Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:30:
MS has never really been a consumer company other than their games division, so I don't understand why people even want to compare them to Apple or even Google. They provide businesses with productivity tools, just like they always have, and businesses still buy their stuff.

Gee I don't know, maybe because they've been shipping consumer products to consumer markets, trying to directly compete against those companies.

Actually, Windows Phone has been rapidly gaining market share over the past year.

This makes it sound a lot rosier than it is. The bulk of the market share gain has been in Italy and Latin America at the very bottom end of the market. Lumia sales have flattened which is a real problem for them going forward. Nokia just unveiled its first Android phone in India and I would expect that trend to continue if its successful.

e: flattened, not fattened

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2014, 16:30.

67. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 16:02 Mashiki Amiketo

MindStalker3 wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:18:

Honestly the world would be a better place had OpenGL taken off in the 90s as the defacto standard. But as it is now, its not nor will it be.
It did take off in the 90's, it then committed suicide in the '00's, and went on life support. And the main reason is? Developers pissing up wind, and features being stuck in committee's.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

66. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 15:45 Bundy

I want an Icon. Stupid Canada.  

65. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 15:44 Beamer

Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:18:
Actually, Windows Phone has been rapidly gaining market share over the past year. This is due to the decline of iPhone and Blackberry sales and all the problems associated with Android security and OS fragmentation. Also, Surface RT hasn't been that big of a hit, but Surface Pro 2 is becoming the laptop replacement of choice for businesses. A couple more iterations of the Surface and it will be a game changer. The video out is pretty high res for an extension monitor and you can pretty much run any MS app on it, even developer tools.

Personally, I have mostly Apple devices as a consumer, but they haven't really added many productivity features for business, and 99% of the apps on the app store are useless. For consumer, sure a simple to use dumbed-down device like Apple is where it's at, but for productivity, I wouldn't even think of using Apple unless you want to pay your employees to reinvent the wheel.

Windows Phone is gaining in share, from tiny to slightly less tiny.
The bulk of the BB and iPhone attrition is going to Android.

I have an Icon. I love my Icon. But it's very, very far from a 3 horse race right now.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

64. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 15:30 Bundy

Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:28:
Yes, yes, yes, gentlemen. That's all well and fine, but what about BEWBS?

Speaking of that. You know who I'm liking these days? Old Brooke Banner vids. And by old I mean 2008.

63. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 15:30 Steele Johnson

Bundy wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:51:
MS made something like 78 billion in revenue last year. That's not because retailers all bought tons of MS products that nobody in the whole world wants and it sits on the shelf forever. I hear this every year, and every year they somehow make more money than the year before. Love them or hate them, they're not going away for a long time. I think we can stop with the doom and gloom predictions

Exactly. All the haters want them to fizzle away, and that's just not going to happen. They offer a lot of good, particularly to the development community. MS has never really been a consumer company other than their games division, so I don't understand why people even want to compare them to Apple or even Google. They provide businesses with productivity tools, just like they always have, and businesses still buy their stuff.

Also, I really don't understand all the complaining about win 8 (8.1). It's literally one click on first boot and your OS behaves almost identical to Win 7. Are people really that lazy and/or stupid? Sure, I can understand if you don't feel a need to upgrade, so don't. But to complain about something that's really easy to use and not much different from the one you're currently using is just plain stupid. If you really hate it, move on and use Linux. And don't come crawling back.

62. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 15:28 Cutter

Yes, yes, yes, gentlemen. That's all well and fine, but what about BEWBS?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

61. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 15:18 MindStalker3

Bundy wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:13:
Beelzebud wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:09:
D3D? Mantle? Screw both. OpenGL does it all and isn't controlled by MS or AMD.

Yeah, OpenGL. As a developer I haven't had too much experience with OpenGL, at least not recently. But a lot of my graphic dev friends feel very differently about OpenGL than I see on the gaming site forums. It's not as awesome as you might think.

So your saying a smallish opensource project that tries to generically abstract 3D drivers doesn't have the raw performance of a large project created by Microsoft intended to work across a wide range of devices while being specifically tuned to as many devices as possible due to their larger resources???

Honestly the world would be a better place had OpenGL taken off in the 90s as the defacto standard. But as it is now, its not nor will it be.

60. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 15:18 Steele Johnson

59. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 15:13 Bundy

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:09:

Yeah, OpenGL. As a developer I haven't had too much experience with OpenGL, at least not recently. But a lot of my graphic dev friends feel very differently about OpenGL than I see on the gaming site forums. It's not as awesome as you might think.

58. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 15:09 Beelzebud

57. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 15:09 Simon Says

Well I'd rather change video card when I'm ready in my natural upgrade cycle, heck I'd have to upgrade someday anyway, than let microsoft force that Metro crap down my throat while they could easily make it work on the older superior OS which I have absolutely no reasonable reasons to upgrade/"downgrade".

So yes, die in a fucking fire and rot in hell.

56. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 15:09 Bundy

Drazula wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:05:
Bundy wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 14:13:
Enh, there seems to be a lot of MS hate no matter what they do.
Because even when they listen, they don't. One perfect example is the Win 8.1 Start Button. Did they really think all users wanted was an F*ing button to go to Metro? They knew exactly what users wanted and still said "Screw you!".

More accurately, what they did was slowly raise their middle fingers and say, "what?" oh I hope this doesn't become a metro debate. So exhausted of that one.

55. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 15:05 Drazula

Bundy wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 14:13:
Enh, there seems to be a lot of MS hate no matter what they do.
Because even when they listen, they don't. One perfect example is the Win 8.1 Start Button. Did they really think all users wanted was an F*ing button to go to Metro? They knew exactly what users wanted and still said "Screw you!".

94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo