Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Gamer Horizon - Diablo III is fun again (or for the first time).
"'Fun." That’s the key here. It was fun; more fun than any previous Diablo III experience. That is what Loot 2.0 is all about, and I would describe it as an absolute success. Blizzard has implemented a system that reduces time wasted by traveling to town by reducing the number of garbage drops significantly, and made finding items more fun with gear that is appropriate to the class being played, and exciting legendary drops to look forward to, and even count on. That is one problem solved."

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2014, 03:50 Ant

Prez wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 01:14:
Finally Blizzard has started making good decisions with Diablo 3. Now I am a little more hopeful that there will be a true offline singleplayer experience.
I doubt it will happen. It's the future.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 12:55 Kythlyn

nin wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 10:50:
My only gripe with 2.0 is, at least for me so far, it almost makes crafting pointless. Sometimes I'll go through and see what gear hasn't been upgraded lately and craft something, but then I'm afraid something better will drop right away. I can then DE the lesser item, but still...

I was still able to use crafting to upgrade certain equipment slots from time to time when I made a new character. Loot 2.0 guarantees relevancy to the class you are playing (90% of the time) and you can expect to get an orange drop every hour or two at least, but it does not magically give you an item for the slot you need, so crafting can still compensate for that.

Undocumented Alien wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 10:42:

Legendary's aren't very special anymore and yellow is the new blue.

I don't feel like they have overtuned it at all. The oranges you get are bind on account, and are meant specifically to make the game more fun for everyone. It is definitely still significantly more rewarding to find a legendary item than anything else in the game, and a well rolled blue can still come in handy during the leveling process. I'd only call yellow the new blue at level cap.

As for InBlack, I'm not going to open that can of worms. To each his own!

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2014, 13:02.

46. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 10:50 nin

Undocumented Alien wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 10:42:
Combat is still A+, but I think they went overboard with Loot 2.0, need to bring it back to the middle more.

My only gripe with 2.0 is, at least for me so far, it almost makes crafting pointless. Sometimes I'll go through and see what gear hasn't been upgraded lately and craft something, but then I'm afraid something better will drop right away. I can then DE the lesser item, but still...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

45. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 10:42 Undocumented Alien

And, you are saying the loot hasn't changed and the skills haven't changed. Yet everyone else has been posting about how the loot has changed, how the loots relations to skills has changed and how the game is much more fun. Yet according to the guy that hasn't played since launch, constantly goes into D3 related threads trashing the game, constantly spreading misinformation...nothing in the game has changed. It's impossible to take you seriously or believe a word you say.

Holy dear God I HAVE to agree with Krovven on this (and then take a shower to cleanse myself). Kidding Krovven, kidding.

When I logged in with my Monk his skills were all flashing '!' stating some major changes, so I had to go into my skills window and re-adjust a bunch of things, so they made some changes for sure.

For loot, I think they OVER tuned it, Legendary's aren't very special anymore and yellow is the new blue. Before 'Loot 2.0' I didn't see a Lengendary for almost up to 60-70 hours, now I get at least every play session.

Combat is still A+, but I think they went overboard with Loot 2.0, need to bring it back to the middle more.

44. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 10:15 Verno

InBlack wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 09:21:
Verno wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 09:07:
nin wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 08:57:

I'm averaging about an orange an hour, so far...drops are waaaaay better than they used to be.

I think they went almost a bit too far with smart drop or whatever it was called. I am drowning in loot every time I play, it feels a bit absurdly rigged that almost every item I find is awesome and useful.
I don't see myself playing for 100 hours though so that's fine by me. It's a bizarre comment I know given the games history with terrible loot but it's like they were so sensitive to the complaints that they went too far in the other direction. I think they will end up tweaking it down a bit and find a nice middle ground for the packrats who will play this nonstop for months. Even if they don't I like this result much better than getting nothing for hours on end so I'm glad they erred on the side of caution.

This is just something to pass the time between new game releases for me so if they want to fill my loot bucket whenever I play then hey whatever

I dont know why Im not seeing this? Maybe things are slightly differntly tweaked on hardcore? Or it might be a level thing, Im lvl 14-15 and drops have been pretty much standard but at this level it might be hard to notice this.

Im going to play a longer session today to check it out further.

No clue dude, every char I've started (HC and SC) gets hit with absurd loot drops. Maybe I'm just lucky!

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

43. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 09:25 nin

InBlack wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 09:21:

I'm averaging about an orange an hour, so far...drops are waaaaay better than they used to be.

I think they went almost a bit too far with smart drop or whatever it was called. I am drowning in loot every time I play, it feels a bit absurdly rigged that almost every item I find is awesome and useful.
I don't see myself playing for 100 hours though so that's fine by me. It's a bizarre comment I know given the games history with terrible loot but it's like they were so sensitive to the complaints that they went too far in the other direction. I think they will end up tweaking it down a bit and find a nice middle ground for the packrats who will play this nonstop for months. Even if they don't I like this result much better than getting nothing for hours on end so I'm glad they erred on the side of caution.

This is just something to pass the time between new game releases for me so if they want to fill my loot bucket whenever I play then hey whatever

I dont know why Im not seeing this? Maybe things are slightly differntly tweaked on hardcore? Or it might be a level thing, Im lvl 14-15 and drops have been pretty much standard but at this level it might be hard to notice this.

The only think I can think of is, maybe since I started a brand new character, it's dropping more loot, to try and get me up to speed?

My previous character had 40-45 hours, and only saw one orange. I've played for 3 nights this week, and got two shoulders, a dagger, I believe an axe, and maybe a chest piece?

edit: Started on normal, and when that was easy, I've moved to hard for act 2.

42. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 09:21 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

41. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 09:07 Verno

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

40. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 08:57 nin

InBlack wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 03:35:

Played about two-three hours yesterday. Wanted to experience the game changes fresh so I created a new character: Monk Hardcore.

2-3 hours in, killed the Skeleton King and about half way to the Butcher. I havent noticed any difference really. Drops are about the same. Experience is going like crazy due to the 50% extra come-back-and-play-please buff.

39. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 07:25 Redmask

InBlack wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 04:50:
Wait I lied, Im not gonna ingore the hostility. Fuck you too, you patronising asshole.

Don't waste your time on him InBlack, his history in Activision Blizzard things is well established.

38. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 06:56 Krovven

no Im not bullshiting. I didnt get a orange drop from the King.

Still having a hard time believing you, seeing as this is all over the forums and people have been killing Skeleton King with all their characters to get the guaranteed legendary. And Blizz has even posted that it can't be hotfixed and requires a patch.

I have over 15 bnet friends, they are simply not playing. Why oh why would that be???

So you haven't played the game in a year and a half or more and you are surprised that in the 2-3 hour window that you logged in that nobody else was on. /facepalm

Under settings it specifically states "HARDCORE CHARACTERS CANT CHANGE GAME DIFFICULTY". And everything is greyed out. Granted I was already in the game.

This is why I'm hostile, because of stupid shit like this. You can't even figure out how to do the most basic of things like change the games difficulty settings or join chat channels. I just told you how to change settings and I just told you that you can't lower the difficulty on the fly while in hardcore mode and you still respond with the above.

BTW, it says "You can't lower/raise the difficulty while PLAYING a hardcore hero". Back out to the menu, change the difficulty, load the game. It's not a difficult concept.

And, you are saying the loot hasn't changed and the skills haven't changed. Yet everyone else has been posting about how the loot has changed, how the loots relations to skills has changed and how the game is much more fun. Yet according to the guy that hasn't played since launch, constantly goes into D3 related threads trashing the game, constantly spreading misinformation...nothing in the game has changed. It's impossible to take you seriously or believe a word you say.

There is nothing wrong wih my computer, I currently run and play DCS: World, a very resource hungry and intensive Aeroplane simulation and it runs very very well on my system. The game runs well once it loads, but it keeps loading shit on the fly and during those times there is noticable slowdowns. This is an ENGINE limitation.

Clearly there is. I have an aging Core 2 E6600 2.4ghz cpu, 4gig ram, AMD 5800 series video card with the game running off a 7200rpm hard drive and I don't have problems with the game loading or playing.

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2014, 07:04.

37. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 06:26 InBlack

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 05:48:
Wait I lied, Im not gonna ingore the hostility.

Your fault He didn't seem hostile at all...

Either way, yeah, the game has a super weird load lag issue when it sits on anything that's not a decent SSD. For giggles I moved the game to my storage HDD and its nigh unplayable. Lags of up to half a second every few minutes.

I dont understand why the game doesnt make more use of RAM. I have 16 GB of it for Christs sake...MIght move it over to my SSD but right now that would involve a lot of work and clearing up for it by removing apps which I use on a frequent basis. A lot of work for a clearly unoptimised game. I might move D3 to a flash disk. Used that fix ages ago and strangely it improved performance quite a bit. I think there was also a fix with virtual memory. Its fucked up that i have to research this shit 2 years after the game was released...

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2014, 06:32.

36. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 05:48 eRe4s3r

Wait I lied, Im not gonna ingore the hostility.

Your fault He didn't seem hostile at all...

Either way, yeah, the game has a super weird load lag issue when it sits on anything that's not a decent SSD. For giggles I moved the game to my storage HDD and its nigh unplayable. Lags of up to half a second every few minutes.

35. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 04:50 InBlack

Im just gonna ignore all the hostility and respond acordingly, no Im not bullshiting. I didnt get a orange drop from the King.

I have over 15 bnet friends, they are simply not playing. Why oh why would that be???

Under settings it specifically states "HARDCORE CHARACTERS CANT CHANGE GAME DIFFICULTY". And everything is greyed out. Granted I was already in the game.

There is nothing wrong wih my computer, I currently run and play DCS: World, a very resource hungry and intensive Aeroplane simulation and it runs very very well on my system.

The game runs well once it loads, but it keeps loading shit on the fly and during those times there is noticable slowdowns. This is an ENGINE limitation.

Wait I lied, Im not gonna ingore the hostility. Fuck you too, you patronising asshole.

34. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 04:26 Krovven

So you killed the Skeleton King and didn't get a Legendary? Considering it's a widely known bug right now that every character (even level 60's) that kill the SK for the first time are getting a Legendary, I call bullshit on that. Were you looting clickable corpses and chests? If not, then you significantly lower your chance at getting Legendaries. They also have a system running in the background that prevents people from going hours and hours without getting a legendary drop. Batman logged on to the game tonight and got a Legendary within 5-10min of playing. 30min later on he joined my group and got another within a few minutes.

Monks are probably the most boring class before patch and still are, in my opinion.

There ARE battle.net chat channels, you have to join them via the options in the chat window, plus you can join Communities for additional chat. Sorry you have no friends, I'm not surprised. Join a clan.

You change the difficulty on the main menu under Game Settings before you are in-game. Hardcore characters cannot lower the difficulty on the fly as can be done in non-hardcore.

If your computer can't handle D3, then something is wrong with your computer. My comp is far slower and older than yours and I run it just fine at 1920x1080, in fact it plays even better since the patch as they have fixed a lot of the art that did cause frame loss for me.

33. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 03:35 InBlack

Prez wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 01:14:
Finally Blizzard has started making good decisions with Diablo 3. Now I am a little more hopeful that there will be a true offline singleplayer experience.

Played about two-three hours yesterday. Wanted to experience the game changes fresh so I created a new character: Monk Hardcore.

2-3 hours in, killed the Skeleton King and about half way to the Butcher. I havent noticed any difference really. Drops are about the same. Experience is going like crazy due to the 50% extra come-back-and-play-please buff.

The skills feel the same although there is a long ways to go. The game feels even more lonely than before, I could open the game to the public but no one joined. My entire friends list is empty as well. There is a 'clan' search tab. I guess thats ok, but regular oldschool battle.net chat channels would have been better.

Hardcore characters cant change the difficulty levels. This is kind of weird. Am I doomed to play on normal now??

Overall I would say the game is the same as before. Nothing really new that I noticed, no great drops, no legendaries, monsters are about the same. Im gonna try and get him to 60 first and see what I can see but so far its more of the same really...

Also performance is just as bad as I remember it. I thought they would fix this but there is still noticable 'loading from disk' or 'streaming from net' lag. Which is fucked up. My PC is not all powerful but I do have a 3570K @ 4 GHZ, 16 GB RAM and a GTX760 with 4 GB VRAM....it should be eating D3 for breakfast and well its not...

32. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2014, 01:14 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

31. Re: Op Ed Mar 6, 2014, 21:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

D3 is definitely better in many ways with this patch. Not really any denying it.

Still, the basic flaws of D3 are still there, the required Main stat, Vit, crit chance/damage, attack speed and all resist are still there.
To a lesser extent, resource regen and life on hit now, instead of Lifesteal. Items will drop with higher values in Main/Vit stats, but far less crit chance/damage and attack speed.

Also, for some crazy reason, Blizzard has also changed to a Primary/Secondary stat system on items, where ideally you get a 4 Primary/2 Secondary stat item(some items will have a bonus stat, so 4/2/1). In practice, most items drop with 3/2, or 2/2, or even 2/1, making them useless right off the bat.

I disagree with the article on Loot 2.0; most of the loot drops will still be garbage. If you barely played D3 when it was new, then yes, most loot will seem great. If you had any sort of playtime at 60 previously, you will end up keeping most of your items into the 60s or even to 70, assuming you want to get the expansion.

I've put about 25-30 hours into this patch, mostly Torment 1, some Torment 4-6 on my better geared guys vs easier quest mobs. Around 20 legendaries/set items, some good rares. Due to 2hander damage bug(known and getting fixed), and some bad luck, only about 3 of those legendaries are any good.

Classes seem improved for the most part, Wizard definitely got the biggest buffs...my Wizard is an utter beast now. Lifesteal Barbs and Monks will be pissed, but you can migrate to mitigation/resource regen/Life on Hit pretty easily. Witch Doctor also got some nice changes, mostly for the better. DH stayed about the same, although DH resource regen really took some hits.

Quest experience and cash rewards are much better(so much better that they most likely are getting nerfed due to Blizzard overreaction), which is good because gem and crafting costs seem like they are going through the roof. Supposedly enchanting on the Mystic gets exponentially more expensive as well. Still, I went into this patch with about 7 million gold(not even high enough to count for D3 poverty levels) and currently have around 16-17million.

Disclaimer: Some of that is from selling White items on the Gold Auction House to either bots or some sort of scammers, I can't figure out which, for about 85k each. White items drop commonly enough that they certainly aren't worth any gold whatsoever in my opinion. They could be planning ahead to some of the supposed crafting recipes, but from what I've seen most crafted items are garbage money sinks anyway.

The Paragon system was reworked also of course, mostly for the better. Still just another grind for minor boosts though. Experience gain does seem to be a lot faster, definitely faster than the PTR/beta.

All that said, vanilla D3, without the expansion, will still be playable, but you will miss out on level 70, the Mystic, the crusader, and most importantly Adventure Mode, which breaks up the monotony of running the base game a little.

I am leaning towards buying RoS simply to get Adventure Mode/bounties really. Still, Blizzard has most of March to utterly ruin the game in some way with a hotfix and make me skip the expansion.

*EDIT* Typo.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2014, 23:05.

30. Re: Op Ed Mar 6, 2014, 21:31 HorrorScope

PropheT wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 13:45:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:49:
If it weren't Blizzard this game would be like any other and not get 3rd and 4th chances and would have run its course in short order.

Be realistic. If this wasn't Blizzard, whoever made it would have cut their losses a year ago and it wouldn't even still be updated. The reason Blizzard gets the second chances is because they keep supporting their games long after anyone else would have stopped.

See Turbine's first MMO. So not everyone. But you are right they have gained points for that over the years. There are some recent ARPG's not made by blizzard getting updates past a year.

29. Re: Op Ed Mar 6, 2014, 17:40 Kythlyn

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 17:03:
You have to admit it's great in-game advertising though Hard to resist the expansion... when you have fun and see all this stuff that would be even more fun.

In game advertising for the expansion is a small price to pay considering all of the Reaper of Souls features that did in fact make it into 2.01 for all Diablo III players.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo