Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 6, 2014, 16:32 Redmask

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:47:
Americans like automatics, but Europeans prefer stick shift.

That's always confused me because all of the old advantages of driving manual have long since been surpassed by modern automatics. The only time I drive a manual anymore is if I'm renting a car or a truck for something. I drove manual for 20 years and I can't say I ever derived any 'love of the road' pleasure from doing so, more often than not it was just a nuisance due to traffic.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 6, 2014, 15:47 jdreyer

Americans like automatics, but Europeans prefer stick shift.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

7. Americans like it for free but Europeans still prefer to pay for protection. Mar 6, 2014, 14:51 LittleMe

What? Here's proof this headline is lies. We pay for protection too!

Perpetual debt is slavery.

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 6, 2014, 12:52 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 11:46:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 11:34:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:58:
For home, if you have any pc sense you don't even need real-time protection anymore. But if you think you do, then why pay for something you can get for free?

Viruses aren't the problem with my family members anymore (not that it can't happen but it's very rare) but it's the ninja installs of other apps when they download apps from the net. Non wanted search apps or lying apps that tell you something is wrong and you need to buy something, hijacking software if anything is the main issue for users now.

And that software can disable protection on a PC easily.... snakeoil vendors all of them ;p

Yep. I mention them if you download something off the net that you went in search of, when installing really take note of those popups. No sometimes means yes. Sometimes you think you are installing what you want but in small writing it's another app. It's the arm-pit of the computer world, nothing but deception and this is even from fairly trusted download sites. Your probably like me, I'll do extra searching to find a location that downloads just the app I want, it now is a pain sometimes, but man the tricks they try to pull on install.

The adobe flash updates are also always fun. Can't say how often I had to come to a PC because application was there suddenly that nobody admitted to installing. Flash installs mcafee if you don't uncheck it...a classic.

what you say there is actually a HUGE problem. How do you guarantee authenticity of an application you downloaded? Because most developers are complete retards. MD5 hashes MEAN JACK SHIT. Anyone hacking a site can change those hashes, and a trojaned download would pass all checks. (That one is a classic, ever tried downloading PUTTY ? no https / unprotected md5 hashes, public PGP key is not listed in online databases (so it can't be validated).... PUTTY ! If even the developer of such an elementary application knows jack shit about protection things look really bad.

That's why open source is not better either. Someone is gonna distribute compiled packages, there is no way to authenticate these. No way to tell if something was changed or not. No way to even download most VITAL applications with proper https connection and some way to confirm application authenticity...

I think this is going to become a way bigger issue as time progresses. You think checkboxes are bad? Wait till you no longer can be sure the application you downloaded is the legit application. Even if it's from the apparent official site (in case of Putty, the entire infrastructure is 1 huge clusterfuck)

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 6, 2014, 11:46 HorrorScope

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 11:34:
For home, if you have any pc sense you don't even need real-time protection anymore. But if you think you do, then why pay for something you can get for free?

Viruses aren't the problem with my family members anymore (not that it can't happen but it's very rare) but it's the ninja installs of other apps when they download apps from the net. Non wanted search apps or lying apps that tell you something is wrong and you need to buy something, hijacking software if anything is the main issue for users now.

And that software can disable protection on a PC easily.... snakeoil vendors all of them ;p

Yep. I mention them if you download something off the net that you went in search of, when installing really take note of those popups. No sometimes means yes. Sometimes you think you are installing what you want but in small writing it's another app. It's the arm-pit of the computer world, nothing but deception and this is even from fairly trusted download sites. Your probably like me, I'll do extra searching to find a location that downloads just the app I want, it now is a pain sometimes, but man the tricks they try to pull on install.

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 6, 2014, 11:34 eRe4s3r

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 6, 2014, 09:58 HorrorScope

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 6, 2014, 09:38 Pigeon

wtf_man wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:25:
Americans like it for free but Europeans still prefer to pay for protection.

The problem is, consumer level Protection isn't all that great... and the free ones aren't that far behind the paid ones as far as catching what the consumer level products can catch.

No company offers Enterprise level protection at a reasonable consumer price, yet. If you want to go with cloud based... zscaler has a minimum of $700 a year for a small business. If you want to go with a Next gen firewall with full subscriptios that has https inspection... you're talking $1200-$1500 for the device, then $300+ a year for subscription.

So, free AV + Norton DNS or OpenDNS configured on the router level is the best bang for the buck for a home user. Of course, other little things like running no-script in the browser, keeping the OS, flash, reader, and java patched (if you use it), helps.

If I could pick up zscaler for $100 a year... I'd be on it in a heartbeat. Complete protection for all of my devices and completely sanitized traffic, and no expensive perimeter device to maintain/upgrade, since it's cloud based.

I gave up on paid services when I had a laptop having hardware issues, that required me to format it as part of the tech-support check list. Reinstalling the software was a pain in the ass because of the DRM. Maybe they've since made it an easier/more intelligent process, but it was enough to get me away from paying.

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 6, 2014, 09:25 wtf_man

Americans like it for free but Europeans still prefer to pay for protection.

The problem is, consumer level Protection isn't all that great... and the free ones aren't that far behind the paid ones as far as catching what the consumer level products can catch.

No company offers Enterprise level protection at a reasonable consumer price, yet. If you want to go with cloud based... zscaler has a minimum of $700 a year for a small business. If you want to go with a Next gen firewall with full subscriptios that has https inspection... you're talking $1200-$1500 for the device, then $300+ a year for subscription.

So, free AV + Norton DNS or OpenDNS configured on the router level is the best bang for the buck for a home user. Of course, other little things like running no-script in the browser, keeping the OS, flash, reader, and java patched (if you use it), helps.

If I could pick up zscaler for $100 a year... I'd be on it in a heartbeat. Complete protection for all of my devices and completely sanitized traffic, and no expensive perimeter device to maintain/upgrade, since it's cloud based.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo