Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The past week has been shockingly cold around these parts, though, thankfully, the latest winter storm predicted for the area missed us. Here's hoping the current predictions are more accurate than that, as after one last frigid day today, things are supposed to warm up tomorrow and the milder weather stretches on into next week. I'm more than ready for this winter to be over, as it has been as rough as any I can remember... I ran outside without a coat for around 30 seconds to get something out of the car last night, and it took several minutes after coming back inside to catch my breath from the spasmodic shivering this caused. Of course I am very wimpy about the cold in general, but still, this has been way too extreme.

Extreme Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Samurai Rebellion.
Birdy Fruit.
Zombie Truck 2.
Story: Major changes coming to 2016 SAT test.
Science: 6-billion-year-old quasar spinning nearly as fast as physically possible.
Media: Virtual "First Person Shooter" Projector.
Benny Hill theme & how it's done.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2014, 04:32 InBlack

Redmask wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 21:56:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 20:56:
Google any word combo you want. There are studies of IQ correlation to fertility, lots of studies showing the Flynn Effect is flawed, it is all out there man. Just be careful as some sites are obvious click bait. But there is plenty out there.

Hmm not what I meant, I guess I wasn't clear sorry. I meant the specific studies you were referring to in your post about kids not being up to snuff taking older tests and having mathematics deficiencies without calculators. Which ones were those? Most of what I googled seems to say the opposite so I'd like to read any of the ones you mentioned to get the other side of it.

Please dont mislabel arithmetic with mathematics. Proper mathematics cant even be done without scientific calculators at any decent level, unless you like to lose hours staring at logarithmic tables all day long. What is more important for a primary school kid in your opinion Bats, learning the multiplication table off by heart, or learning the theory behind multiplication? Most kids learn to hate maths because they learn how to do it WRONG all the way back in primary school. They cant grasp simple concepts because back in primary school when maths was 'easy' they just learnt it off by heart. Any change in the curriculum where methodology and understanding is in focus should be welcome...

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2014, 01:36 Creston

BobBob wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 17:42:
Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 11:50:
Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 08:50:
I miss LA Not the horrible traffic and crime rate, just the consistency of the weather.

Oh God, Verno, now you're just going to get BobBob started.

It's been quite the sunny week. We did have a bit of much needed rain. Planning to hit the beach again this weekend.

You can be a thoroughly evil human being at times.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 21:56 Redmask

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 20:56:
Google any word combo you want. There are studies of IQ correlation to fertility, lots of studies showing the Flynn Effect is flawed, it is all out there man. Just be careful as some sites are obvious click bait. But there is plenty out there.

Hmm not what I meant, I guess I wasn't clear sorry. I meant the specific studies you were referring to in your post about kids not being up to snuff taking older tests and having mathematics deficiencies without calculators. Which ones were those? Most of what I googled seems to say the opposite so I'd like to read any of the ones you mentioned to get the other side of it.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 20:56 xXBatmanXx

Redmask wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 16:26:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:01:
Yea, take away the calculators and lets retest those same kids! There are several studies that point the direct opposite. In fact most kids and adults couldn't pass some elementary classes from 1900.

What studies are you referring to?

I keep reading about how far behind other countries we're falling in Mathematics specifically so I'd like to do some reading about this.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 17:42 BobBob

Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 11:50:
I miss LA Not the horrible traffic and crime rate, just the consistency of the weather.

It's been quite the sunny week. We did have a bit of much needed rain. Planning to hit the beach again this weekend.

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 16:26 Redmask

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:01:
Yea, take away the calculators and lets retest those same kids! There are several studies that point the direct opposite. In fact most kids and adults couldn't pass some elementary classes from 1900.

What studies are you referring to?

I keep reading about how far behind other countries we're falling in Mathematics specifically so I'd like to do some reading about this.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 15:40 Cutter

Yeah, here it is....

Expect the cold to stay through March, Weather Network warns

Damn, this has been the coldest winter we've seen in 15 years.

Motherfudger! Take me away Calgon!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 15:38 Cutter

It's up and more reasonable for the next several days but the 7 day plus is calling for it to dip back down by next Thorsday. Fuck a duck! Yeah, I can't wait for this bullshit to be done but we're not out of the woods yet, sigh.

Hey summmer! Come back baby, rock and roll never forgets!

And let's not forget the bewbs.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 15:01 xXBatmanXx

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 14:17:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 08:56:
Major changes coming to 2016 SAT test.

Common Core is going to make our populace even more misinformed and increase deficiencies in critical thinking and other areas. Scary stuff.

Common Core principal: "Even if you think 4+4=7, as long as you show your work and can explain that, you will be correct"

I'm glad that they're adjusting the SAT test to be more focused on knowledge than mastering the format and test-taking tactics.

As for Common Core, there's a lot to like in it if you dig in, at least what I've looked at in elementary school. There are a lot of different approaches to learning that we didn't have when I was a kid. When my first grade kid says "I have to use count-on methodology to solve this" and I see they're teaching him all these different ways to solve math problems. I can see how they're avoiding a one size fits all approach. That's good. The different methods also inculcate at an early age that trying different approaches to problem solving is necessary.

As for focusing on the methodology over the answer, that's not strange. When you learn to shoot free throws, you practice the form and don't care if the ball goes in at first. Practice the form enough, and the ball will go in a lot more than if you'd just focused on getting the ball in the hoop without the correct form. Focusing only on the correct answer encourages rote learning, not creative thinking. The latter is far more valuable.

Kids today are much more educated at the same age than we were kids. From this article:

Ten points on the NAEP roughly equals one grade level, which means that today's 9-year-olds are performing more than a full grade level better in reading and two grade levels better in math compared to the '70s.

Could Common Core be improved? Sure, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Basketball isn't math.

....argh....anyway. I have dug into it, ALOT. I have a few years before the kid hits the schools, so I have time to flesh it out more, but the first reports aren't good for schools that have taken common core into their curriculum. Wife and I are having a lot of discussions about where our kids will be going...

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2014, 15:13.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 15:00 xXBatmanXx

InBlack wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 10:39:

Common Core is going to make our populace even more misinformed and increase deficiencies in critical thinking and other areas. Scary stuff.

Common Core principal: "Even if you think 4+4=7, as long as you show your work and can explain that, you will be correct"

I just read that article and nowhere does it say anything to that effect. I passed some exams in college because I managed to demonstrate that my reasoning was correct when doing certain problems, obviosly I couldnt get full marks for these questions as the end result was wrong, but understanding the problem and more importantly understanding the way to the solution should be more important than making stupid mistakes under exam conditions.

The whole story isn't there, the changes were a result of Common Core.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 14:25 jdreyer

I love that article on the quasar, and how they postulate that the rotation is caused by multiple black holes combining, as opposed to the standard accumulation of dust to cause the rotation. Very cool.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 14:17 jdreyer

I'm glad that they're adjusting the SAT test to be more focused on knowledge than mastering the format and test-taking tactics.

As for Common Core, there's a lot to like in it if you dig in, at least what I've looked at in elementary school. There are a lot of different approaches to learning that we didn't have when I was a kid. When my first grade kid says "I have to use count-on methodology to solve this" and I see they're teaching him all these different ways to solve math problems. I can see how they're avoiding a one size fits all approach. That's good. The different methods also inculcate at an early age that trying different approaches to problem solving is necessary.

As for focusing on the methodology over the answer, that's not strange. When you learn to shoot free throws, you practice the form and don't care if the ball goes in at first. Practice the form enough, and the ball will go in a lot more than if you'd just focused on getting the ball in the hoop without the correct form. Focusing only on the correct answer encourages rote learning, not creative thinking. The latter is far more valuable.

Kids today are much more educated at the same age than we were kids. From this article:

Ten points on the NAEP roughly equals one grade level, which means that today's 9-year-olds are performing more than a full grade level better in reading and two grade levels better in math compared to the '70s.

Could Common Core be improved? Sure, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 14:09 Mr. Tact

Good luck to you. I considered building when I bought my house in 2005. However, I found a house I liked basically exactly where I wanted to be.. that was the nail in the coffin for building.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 14:03 CrimsonPaw

Spring cannot get here soon enough in the Midwest; the wife and I are anticipating a ground breaking for our new house but the weather could cause a delay. Let's hope not, the house we have now was fine 17 years ago but growing kids need more room.  
~~Crim~~

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 13:42 PropheT

Yeah it's been pretty brutal, we got another dump of snow a few days ago. Weather Network called for half an inch, we got 4. It was also -20.

Yeah, we had a 3-5" forecast earlier this week and came out of it just shy of 10". Daughter got her car stuck, half an hour off of work to get it dug out and get her going, did it again today and after an hour I finally had to spend $50 to get it towed out of where she got it stuck.

Winter this year wins, I give up. So ready for it to be over, seems like every week it's either record cold or record snowfall. Or both.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 11:50 Creston

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 10:39 InBlack

I just read that article and nowhere does it say anything to that effect. I passed some exams in college because I managed to demonstrate that my reasoning was correct when doing certain problems, obviosly I couldnt get full marks for these questions as the end result was wrong, but understanding the problem and more importantly understanding the way to the solution should be more important than making stupid mistakes under exam conditions.

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 08:56 xXBatmanXx

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 08:50 Verno

Yeah it's been pretty brutal, we got another dump of snow a few days ago. Weather Network called for half an inch, we got 4. It was also -20. My neighbor felt like chatting while I was clearing some snow off my truck yesterday and I had to politely beg off after a minute because my ears felt like they were going to fall off. I don't even remember what spring looks like anymore and don't expect to see highs above 0 until April at this rate. The climate in general has changed so much from when I was younger.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 08:49 1badmf

i wouldn't mind it if you shipped some of that cold out west blue. it's rained all of maybe a week this winter in cali and unlike you i'm rather a fan of chilly conditions.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo