Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Funcom Financials Fall

GamesIndustry International has details on Funcom's latest financial reporting, saying the Norwegian developer's revenues were down in their 2013 fourth fiscal quarter, mostly due to poor performance of The Secret World. Word is: "In the quarter ended December 31, 2013 Funcom earned $4.3 million in revenue, down from the $7.8 million it earned in the same quarter the previous year - the quarter directly following The Secret World's release. Funcom's earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) were $233,000, down from $2 million the prior year."

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Funcom Financials Fall Mar 6, 2014, 13:23 Hellbinder

Jonjonz wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 08:01:
I have played many of the MMO's out there, and AO was by far the best experience. Thanks to it's primitive graphics (compared to state of the art today), one could play multiple characters (multi-box ect.) very smoothly. Shame they let it go mostly fallow. Would not be surprised if they shutter AO before the 'real soon now' graphics update sees the light of day.

I don't think so. its probably making a bigger profit margin than any of the rest of their games.

The Whales name is Bob.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Funcom Financials Fall Mar 6, 2014, 08:01 Jonjonz

I have played many of the MMO's out there, and AO was by far the best experience. Thanks to it's primitive graphics (compared to state of the art today), one could play multiple characters (multi-box ect.) very smoothly. Shame they let it go mostly fallow. Would not be surprised if they shutter AO before the 'real soon now' graphics update sees the light of day.  

8. Re: Funcom Financials Fall Mar 6, 2014, 00:11 007Bistromath

woah woah woah

woah

hold the phone

You're telling me that a company made a faux-freemium MMO, and it resulted in an initial period of massive growth as people jumped on, followed by a stable plateau of lower earnings?

MIND BLOWN

7. Re: Funcom Financials Fall Mar 5, 2014, 23:11 Steele Johnson

As much as I wanted to love The Secret World, I just couldn't look past all the crazy and obvious issues with it. I mean, most of them seemed to be very simple tweaks, and It was as if they had no clue that these simple problems were what ruined the game. Very strange. I would definitely play this game again if they just hire a few good designers to fix the darn thing. It could be so much more if put into the right hands..  

6. Re: RE: Follow up Mar 5, 2014, 21:54 PropheT

UConnBBall wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 20:12:
My favorite MMORPG was Anarchy Online it was the only deep game out there.

The thing I don't get is that there's still, to this day, nothing remotely like it.

I'm not sure I understand the reluctance there seems to be to make sci-fi MMO's instead of cookie cutter fantasy games. Not that I dislike fantasy, but they've really hit the point where they feel pretty same-y and still no one is really attempting much for sci-fi.

5. Re: RE: Follow up Mar 5, 2014, 20:12 UConnBBall

My favorite MMORPG was Anarchy Online it was the only deep game out there. Really was challenging to just figure out everything but man the later levels were so much fun and the community was great. Also Sci-Fi is my favorite genre.

I still jump in every so often to play for a day or two.

4. Re: Funcom Financials Fall Mar 5, 2014, 20:10 Stimpack

I wish Funcom did something more interesting. I don't want to see them fail, but in my opinion their MMORPGs just aren't very good.  

3. Re: Funcom Financials Fall Mar 5, 2014, 19:11 Cutter

Particularly with Conan. The work lends itself brilliantly to CRPGs and that's what they should have started with, just a really cool Conan based CRPG. Imagine an isometric game like Fallout done in Conan's universe. It'd be pretty cool.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

2. Re: Funcom Financials Fall Mar 5, 2014, 18:53 RaZ0r!

I have a lot of respect for Funcom. They have kept Anarchy Online running for almost 13 years now, and they invented the leet!  

1. Re: Funcom Financials Fall Mar 5, 2014, 18:44 BicycleRepairMan

Funcom is a really sad story, these guys had every opportunity to make some great games after the success of the Longest Journey, but instead of using their momentum to solidify their position, they turned to overambitious shit like conan and secret world, projects that sought to challenge WoW and all the other MMOs out there. They were a small company, and should have gradually built themselves stronger before taking on international giants like blizzard. They could have made some cool smaller games.  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo