Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Launches

Grinding Gear Games announces the release of Sacrifice of the Vaal, the first mini-expansion for Path of Exile, their action/RPG. Here's word:

Transforming Wraeclast for new and returning exiles alike, Sacrifice of the Vaal introduces an abundance of new content that reflects the vengeful return of Queen Atziri and the corruptive influence of the Vaal civilization. Featuring dozens of secret corrupted areas, over 60 new boss monsters, Ambush and Invasion challenge leagues, Cut-throat Mode and Sarn Arena PvP options, new ultimate skill gems, a crafting item with chaotic results, and an epic encounter with Atziri herself, the mini-expansion adds a rich layer of variety to the game's already highly replayable experience. The launch of this mini-expansion also marks the first simultaneous content release with Asian Path of Exile publisher Garena Online.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Launches Mar 6, 2014, 16:41 dj LiTh

Axis wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:24:
Having been absorbed in Invasion the last 24 hours, I can say woe to new players.

I personally love the difficulty, but I've been playing the game for the better part of two years. However new or ezmode players may be scared off quickly -- the level of difficulty in invasion has been hugely ramped up right off the bat.

Agreed, i'm only in act3 normal (internet went out yesterday just as it launched, could actually hear god laughing...) but taking it very slow, especially seeing death after death broadcast in the chatbox. Overall though i'm happy its more difficult

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Launches Mar 6, 2014, 15:24 Axis

Having been absorbed in Invasion the last 24 hours, I can say woe to new players.

I personally love the difficulty, but I've been playing the game for the better part of two years. However new or ezmode players may be scared off quickly -- the level of difficulty in invasion has been hugely ramped up right off the bat.

Yours truly,

Axis

11. Re: Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Launches Mar 6, 2014, 15:02 Mr. Tact

That is true. However, since I never played D2 on Battle Net, it wasn't a problem.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

10. Re: Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Launches Mar 6, 2014, 15:00 dj LiTh

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 14:11:
dj LiTh wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 13:58:
You get i think about 12 redo passives by playing the game,
Yeah, for 12 skill points -- if that was 12 full resets, then everything would be cool.

D2 back in the dya was much worse, accidently clicked a skill? Sorry your char is now fucked forever, personally i dont mind it in its current system, as i said you need to plan out a character before you build it, other then the first one which is a learning experience.

9. Re: Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Launches Mar 6, 2014, 14:11 Mr. Tact

dj LiTh wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 13:58:
You get i think about 12 redo passives by playing the game,
Yeah, for 12 skill points -- if that was 12 full resets, then everything would be cool.

8. Re: Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Launches Mar 6, 2014, 13:58 dj LiTh

For a first charactor it can indeed be brutal, but after that i think you get a grasp of the system, check out some premade builds, work on your own build and already have a plan for a character before you start a new one. You get i think about 12 redo passives by playing the game, and its also a currency so you can with time and patience redo your char, or wait for a passive reset which seems to happen every 4 months (as all chars got on from this latest mini exp). I think its much more akin to building your character in d2 (before 2010 apparently, had no idea they had respecs in) then d3 where you can change you char on the fly. So depending on your persepective, ya i agree strength or weakness, for me its a huge strength. I play hardcore/invasion elusively so making a new character isnt such a hard feat, i can normally get to level 50 in about 16 hours of time (which isnt even that fast compared to others).  

7. Re: Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Launches Mar 6, 2014, 13:19 avianflu

I agree -- it is the long lines of basic stat nodes that feel like filler. Great game in any case.

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 10:54:
avianflu wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 08:57:
The giant skill tree is both a strength and weakness of the game.

Once you look at it carefully you realize there's some filler in there that could just be excised and the game would be even more fun.
Filler? I'm guessing you mean the basic stat nodes and such. I don't think those are just filler. It's part of the design that makes this sort of skill tree workable. It would be a mess if every node was a keystone or notable skill.

6. Re: Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Launches Mar 6, 2014, 10:54 Wowbagger_TIP

avianflu wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 08:57:

Once you look at it carefully you realize there's some filler in there that could just be excised and the game would be even more fun.
Filler? I'm guessing you mean the basic stat nodes and such. I don't think those are just filler. It's part of the design that makes this sort of skill tree workable. It would be a mess if every node was a keystone or notable skill.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

5. Re: Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Launches Mar 6, 2014, 08:57 avianflu

4. Re: Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Launches Mar 6, 2014, 08:49 Mr. Tact

I played PoE, and will probably pick it up again at some point. It is a good game and I like the game design. It's cool how you can customize any character, or skill, in so many ways.

The problem is with the limits on resetting the passive skill tree, it makes it difficult to "just play it". Odds are if you just pick passives as you go along, you are going to end up with a "bad build". So, you need to find a build and follow it, which takes a lot of the fun out of playing with all the possibilities.

They really need to implement a better way for you to get more frequent passive tree resets. Something like they did in WoW would be good. First is free, after that the price fluctuates based on the amount of time since the last reset. This idea is complicated by the game's currency model, but I'm sure some smart dev. could figure it out.

3. Re: Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Launches Mar 6, 2014, 05:16 dj LiTh

InBlack wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 03:28:
dj LiTh wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 22:35:
Awesome! About time! D3's been fun the past 24 hours but its already apparent to me with all the changes (some really good changes) that its still a casual ARPG game. No races, no pvp, no real reason to play beyond getting the gear, whereas in PoE the races are the reason for getting the gear. Also the level of customization leaves me in theory-craft nirvana. Just my opinion, flame on!

Why would anyone flame you for writing a post that makes a lot of sense? I was thinking of installing Diablo3 again but then I receieved a Blizzard mail just this morning, asking me to return and when I saw how fucking ridiculous that Reaper of Death or whatever he is called looked in the artwork I just thought to myself. No.

I was just joking mainly, considering all the shenanigans going on in the d3 thread I'd suggest try d3 but dont buy the expansion, thats the route i'm going. i got another 8 or so gameplay hours out of it which lasted me till this launched. Speaking of Vaal mini expac, so far so good, still trying to get a handle on these vaal skills, seems to add an interesting dynamic, but still not sure how it'll effect my builds

2. Re: Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Launches Mar 6, 2014, 03:28 InBlack

dj LiTh wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 22:35:
Awesome! About time! D3's been fun the past 24 hours but its already apparent to me with all the changes (some really good changes) that its still a casual ARPG game. No races, no pvp, no real reason to play beyond getting the gear, whereas in PoE the races are the reason for getting the gear. Also the level of customization leaves me in theory-craft nirvana. Just my opinion, flame on!

Why would anyone flame you for writing a post that makes a lot of sense? I was thinking of installing Diablo3 again but then I receieved a Blizzard mail just this morning, asking me to return and when I saw how fucking ridiculous that Reaper of Death or whatever he is called looked in the artwork I just thought to myself. No.

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal Launches Mar 5, 2014, 22:35 dj LiTh

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo