Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Reddit Interview

The WeAreA videogame developer AUA! - IAmA with Gabe Newell on Reddit is now online following an odd false start for the interview. The conversation with the Valve honcho includes assists from Erik Wolpaw, Erik Johnson, Ido Magal, and "Coomer" (we're thinking Greg, not Christen), with topics covering Linux support, possible Steam Music integration with other services, and even a reference to Half-Life 3 Ricochet 2: "When we announced our products years in advance in the past and then were really late delivering them, it was pretty painful for both us and the community," explains Gabe. "We'd rather not repeat that."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 7, 2014, 20:57 Ant

ldonyo wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 09:43:
So, instead of announcing products and then being late, Valve just won't announce products at all so they can be on time?
Basically, "when it's done"!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 7, 2014, 20:57 Ant

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 13:27:
Gabe is great, and I love Valve, but let's get real here.

Gabe stood on Alcatraz island at an AMD launch event saying that Half Life 2 was ready to ship, and that it would be bundled with all new AMD cards. 48 hours later he had to admit the game was still at least a year away, and people got cd-key cards instead of a game.

Given his track record, I can see why he keeps quiet about HL3. When he has something to show, we'll all know it.
It's better to say "when it's done".

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

21. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 6, 2014, 12:01 Creston

Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 18:13:
I still remember the jaw dropping abilities of Source when it was shown way back in 04.

Yeah, that loading screen every 30 seconds sure was spectacular.

I still don't get why everyone thought Source was the bomb's tits. It was the first (I think) to properly implement full physics, which was amazing, but in the end that was just HAVOK, so not really Source. It also was the first to do a great job at lipsyncing characters to what they were saying, which was incredibly immersive.

Other than that what was so impressive about it? I thought the Far Cry engine was a hundred times more impressive than Source. The entirety of Half Life 2 probably fit in one of Far Cry's bigger levels...

20. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 6, 2014, 03:35 InBlack

Efflixi wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 15:30:
briktal wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 14:07:
InBlack wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 09:27:
Well that was a rather boring read. Newell's answers are (mostly) botlike. Got the jive that he would rather be doing anything else with his time...

That's basically every AMA on reddit, at least with a "known" person.

You obviously missed Lil' Jon's AMA and Snoop Lion's too.

Yeah. Or Bill Murray's. Bill FUCKING Murray.

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 23:55 Jensen

Sepharo wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 21:56:
Well we know Valve has been working on Source 2. So I would think they will build their flagship game to showcase the new engine. I hope it's as revolutionary as Source was when it finally got showcased. I still remember the jaw dropping abilities of Source when it was shown way back in 04.

They call the next major upgrade of the Source engine Source 2. When you play L4D2 or Portal 2 you're playing on an engine that at one time was branched/referred to as Source 2.
No.

"Is it more than just an extension to Source? Like, is it an entirely new engine?"
"Yeah," Newell said.

18. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 21:58 Sepharo

Parias wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 17:02:
Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 16:37:
BicycleRepairMan wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 14:56:

Gabe stood on Alcatraz island at an AMD launch event saying that Half Life 2 was ready to ship, and that it would be bundled with all new AMD cards. 48 hours later he had to admit the game was still at least a year away, and people got cd-key cards instead of a game.

Given his track record, I can see why he keeps quiet about HL3. When he has something to show, we'll all know it.

Yeah, HL2s delay was a major screwup, not the delay itself, but the way it was handled. As I recall, they promised HL2 on something like "sept 30" in May before that september, and then, as the summer went by, they went into some kind of panic mode, and instead of TELLING people that "its not coming out in september" they kept silent, and when they were asked in like late august early september if the game was going to be delayed, they said stupid shit like "Not that we know of..". Most people can deal with and excuse delays, but we dont like being lied to.

I totally understand that they dont want to create that trap for themselves, but it really was a royal screwup that they not only walked into, but kept making worse.

I suppose they have decided not to say anything until the game is nearly complete this time around, but how do you define "nearly"? I suppose when you have the content and game up running and playable start-to-finish, its about halfway there or so...

And there was the whole thing about some hacker leaking an alpha build they used as a convenient scapegoat. It was funny how much drama that caused with fragmaster at planethalflife.

Wow, I had almost forgotten about that.

I remember that I once wanted to run a gaming news site. My only substantial post was a breakdown of the HL2 fiasco after I had played the leak / physics demo. After that it became extremely obvious that the game wasn't ready, they knew for a long time, and were using the leak as a scapegoat.

17. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 21:56 Sepharo

Well we know Valve has been working on Source 2. So I would think they will build their flagship game to showcase the new engine. I hope it's as revolutionary as Source was when it finally got showcased. I still remember the jaw dropping abilities of Source when it was shown way back in 04.

They call the next major upgrade of the Source engine Source 2. When you play L4D2 or Portal 2 you're playing on an engine that at one time was branched/referred to as Source 2.

16. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 18:13 Yosemite Sam

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

15. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 17:02 Parias

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 16:37:

Yeah, HL2s delay was a major screwup, not the delay itself, but the way it was handled. As I recall, they promised HL2 on something like "sept 30" in May before that september, and then, as the summer went by, they went into some kind of panic mode, and instead of TELLING people that "its not coming out in september" they kept silent, and when they were asked in like late august early september if the game was going to be delayed, they said stupid shit like "Not that we know of..". Most people can deal with and excuse delays, but we dont like being lied to.

I totally understand that they dont want to create that trap for themselves, but it really was a royal screwup that they not only walked into, but kept making worse.

I suppose they have decided not to say anything until the game is nearly complete this time around, but how do you define "nearly"? I suppose when you have the content and game up running and playable start-to-finish, its about halfway there or so...

And there was the whole thing about some hacker leaking an alpha build they used as a convenient scapegoat. It was funny how much drama that caused with fragmaster at planethalflife.

Wow, I had almost forgotten about that.

14. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 16:37 Mad Max RW

13. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 15:36 Cutter

How about overhauling your client? How about some graphical updates and different looks/UIs?  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 15:30 Efflixi

briktal wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 14:07:
Well that was a rather boring read. Newell's answers are (mostly) botlike. Got the jive that he would rather be doing anything else with his time...

You obviously missed Lil' Jon's AMA and Snoop Lion's too.

11. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 14:56 BicycleRepairMan

10. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 14:07 briktal

9. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 13:47 Ray Marden

I'm glad to know when new books/albums/movies are on the way.

Meanwhile, the gaming industry is full of liars and borders on being a payola news system.

I admit there is some weight to expectation control, but I wish the industry would stop treating me like a degenerate. I love this industry more than any other and praise the audio-visual products it creates, one that also gives gamers direct control over the fantastic worlds that are created.

But yeah, let's keep on lying...because that totally makes me want your product even more or like your company even more...
In a lot of ways, the industry acts like it dislikes the end user.
Not sure I would give Gabe such high marks for communication,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

8. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 13:27 Beelzebud

7. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 13:14 Creston

Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 13:09:
I don't blame him for giving robotic answers that really don't amount to anything, because if they did, gamers would just pick apart everything he said and bash him just for the fun of it. I guess that's just the way it is now.

I agree that this is mostly just the way it is now, but I do wonder who really is more to blame for this situation: the gamers or the devs/publishers.

I'm pretty much in the camp that thinks that while there were some asshats in the past who shit on everything a dev/pub said or did, most people enjoyed the normal discourse and engaged them as human beings.

And then the lying kept getting worse and worse, and the bullshit hype machines kept getting worse and worse, and devs would just sit there and blatantly promise features A, B and C would be in their games while they knew full well none of those things were in, and is it really any wonder that gamers have just become distrusting by default, and will pick apart anything a guy says anymore? Why would you trust them?

I think Gabe is still one of the more trustworthy people in the industry, and I was still going "Hmmm...." when he gave that explanation about the VAC 'phoning home' a few weeks back.

6. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 13:09 Steele Johnson

Atomic wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 10:09:

Could be, or maybe he's just an introvert and socially uncomfortable.

Or maybe it's just that he knows that gamers are never happy with anything, so why get himself into a lose lose situation?

I don't blame him for giving robotic answers that really don't amount to anything, because if they did, gamers would just pick apart everything he said and bash him just for the fun of it. I guess that's just the way it is now.

5. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 12:21 BicycleRepairMan

So, instead of announcing products and then being late, Valve just won't announce products at all so they can be on time?

Shh! its their business secret,dont spill the beans here, just steal it, and become the worlds biggest online digital game retailer.

4. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 12:11 Creston

I imagine it gets pretty boring to have to pretend you're not working on HL3 day in and day out.

Basically. They'll announce it when it's in beta and 3-6 months out from release to get the proper hype train going.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo