Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I mentioned those crazy KFC ads recently in my role as occasional amateur media critic, but the round of spots from the colonel has gotten weirder since we talked about the fake food bloggers and tweaker mom. They have now introduced stupefied by pot pie guy, who says "pot pie" nine times in 30 seconds if you count the time he mouths it. He does not come off as the sharpest of tacks, unless you compare him to insane chicken wings man, who asks his friends "what's the main problem in the world today," only to reply "no" to their suggestions, one of which is actually "war." He explains that the biggest problem in the world is "imposter chicken wings," noting that you wouldn't go to the car wash to get your teeth fixed. The thing about that is, the angle of the camera seems to intentionally show off that he apparently does have his teeth fixed at the car wash.

Imposter Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Rise of the Titans.
Physics Fall.
2014 World Cup.
Science: Meat and cheese may be as bad for you as smoking.
Media: Sam & Max: True Detectives. NSFW.
New Marijuana Study Says Everyone Knows You're High And You'll Likely Be Stoned Forever.
How Many American Flags Can You Spot in the New Transformers Trailer?
Neil deGrasse Tyson & Brian Greene Reenact a Scene from "Gravity" at StarTalk Live.
Follow-up: Why Revive 'Cosmos?' Neil DeGrasse Tyson Says Just About Everything We Know Has Changed.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 02:08 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 17:52:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 16:44:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 15:33:
Speaking of music (post between this and my other one) anyone going to the Santana/Stewart tour? Thought about it....saw Santana with my father 15 years ago. Was a great show (and thank goodness for my mother, my father wanted to name me Santana - he owned a record store at the time "Sound Station 7").

Ticket prices are going to be ridiculous.

So, uh, do I dare ask what he DID name you? Page? Lennon? Bowie?

Nothing music related - my mother named me. Wrote my name on all the paperwork when my dad went to the pisser. ahhahahaha

(Turns out Mom was a HUGE DC Comics fan... )

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 18:25 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 15:16:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 14:12:
"A high-protein diet during middle age makes you nearly twice as likely to die"

Great opening line there, "highly-lauded science journal." I stopped reading immediately. Rolleyes

It's an interesting article. The problem with studying high meat, low-meat, and vegetarian diets in modern times is that health conscious people typically take on other healthy habits like doing more exercise, avoiding drugs and alcohol, eating more whole and organic foods, etc. so it's difficult to suss out what benefits are high-protein (meat) related vs. related to the myriad of other habits such people have. By studying ancient people, there was no heath movement back then, so it's easier to do an apples to apples comparison.

My point was more toward that statement making no sense when everybody is 100% likely to die to begin with. How do you not proof-read the first sentence?

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 17:52 xXBatmanXx

jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 16:44:
Speaking of music (post between this and my other one) anyone going to the Santana/Stewart tour? Thought about it....saw Santana with my father 15 years ago. Was a great show (and thank goodness for my mother, my father wanted to name me Santana - he owned a record store at the time "Sound Station 7").

Nothing music related - my mother named me. Wrote my name on all the paperwork when my dad went to the pisser. ahhahahaha

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 16:44 jdreyer

nin wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 16:43:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 16:42:
Cutter wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 16:14:
And I don't care if meat and dairy is a guaranteed death sentence because I'd rather die happily after eating that stuff for a few years than a few miserable decades of grazing on wheatgrass just for a few more years longevity.

Write me into your will? I'm going to outlive you and want to play your games.

I think it's Prez's steam account we should be after...

Yeah, but all those games means Prez has a reason to live.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 16:44 jdreyer

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 16:43 nin

jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 16:42:
And I don't care if meat and dairy is a guaranteed death sentence because I'd rather die happily after eating that stuff for a few years than a few miserable decades of grazing on wheatgrass just for a few more years longevity.

I think it's Prez's steam account we should be after...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 16:42 jdreyer

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 16:42 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 16:06:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 14:16:
Why Revive 'Cosmos?' Neil DeGrasse Tyson Says Just About Everything We Know Has Changed.

Ya think? It's been 35 years since the original.
In his defense, it really has been an amazing 30-40 years for the fields of astrophysics, astronomy and the like. Basically everything got turned upside down more than once. Yes, amazing advances in many other fields (medicine, computers, etc.) have been made, but the others haven't gotten turned onto their heads as much or as often as what is covered in 'Cosmos'.

Oh, exactly. I wasn't making fun of Tyson, I was saying "Well, duh." to the journalist.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 16:14 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 16:12 Cutter

Any small business owners here with cross-border business experience. I'm trying to find what it's going to take to bring my products to the US on a limited basis - weekends at craft fairs/farmers markets - initially. I'm surprised by what a PITA it is finding this information online. Hell, I even wrote the US Embassy here asking if they had any advice and the bastards never replied. I'm guessing I have to speak to customs and the IRS for sure, but I'm wondering how it would work state by state as I'd like to do a bordertown circuit from Milwaukee to Buffalo.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 16:06 Mr. Tact

Why Revive 'Cosmos?' Neil DeGrasse Tyson Says Just About Everything We Know Has Changed.

In his defense, it really has been an amazing 30-40 years for the fields of astrophysics, astronomy and the like. Basically everything got turned upside down more than once. Yes, amazing advances in many other fields (medicine, computers, etc.) have been made, but the others haven't gotten turned onto their heads as much or as often as what is covered in 'Cosmos'.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 15:33 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 15:26 Hoop

Springsteen site has photo's up of his two concerts here last weekend. http://brucespringsteen.net/
We went to the March 1st show & it just went off.
This was the last leg of a 6 week tour through South Africa, Australia & New Zealand, they completely delivered, 30 songs 3 hours of non stop quality.
The dude still has the energy & voice of his 30 year old self.
Crazy good concert.
Heres the setlist http://goo.gl/bLH39B

Um .. Behind you...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 15:22 xXBatmanXx

Getting me through the day..... this one too....

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2014, 15:47.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 15:16 jdreyer

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 14:12:
"A high-protein diet during middle age makes you nearly twice as likely to die"

Great opening line there, "highly-lauded science journal." I stopped reading immediately. Rolleyes

It's an interesting article. The problem with studying high meat, low-meat, and vegetarian diets in modern times is that health conscious people typically take on other healthy habits like doing more exercise, avoiding drugs and alcohol, eating more whole and organic foods, etc. so it's difficult to suss out what benefits are high-protein (meat) related vs. related to the myriad of other habits such people have. By studying ancient people, there was no heath movement back then, so it's easier to do an apples to apples comparison.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 14:52 Verno

Re: Transformers, they're all terrible movies IMO. Bay is just the wrong director for the role but he's perfected his craft of distracting the masses with boomboom and hackneyed plots so I have to give him credit because they print money.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 14:34 Yosemite Sam

I expected to be blinded. By science.

It's not gonna be truly Cosmos, Tyson's too uptight, now if he chills out with a few spliffs then it'll be Cosmos.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 14:27 nin

jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 14:22:
NegaDeath wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 12:04:
nin wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 08:47:
I was actually cheering when the line "the age of the transformers is ending" (or the like) came up...

I have to admit I had some nostalgia tingles when I saw the original mack truck from the series. After that it was standard Bay.

I like the first movie. It was partially produced by Steven Speilberg, and it's postulated that the relationship between Bumblebee and Witwicky was his idea. The second movie was just an action fest, and kind of boring, IMO. The third one I turned off half an hour in. I couldn't stand it. Especially Witwicky, who was just an A-hole. I'll be skipping this one.

All of this is partially my fault, as I keep showing up at the theater going "This one will be better, this one will be better, oh fuck it's not better, IT'S NOT BETTER!"

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 14:22 jdreyer

nin wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 08:47:
I was actually cheering when the line "the age of the transformers is ending" (or the like) came up...

I have to admit I had some nostalgia tingles when I saw the original mack truck from the series. After that it was standard Bay.

I like the first movie. It was partially produced by Steven Speilberg, and it's postulated that the relationship between Bumblebee and Witwicky was his idea. The second movie was just an action fest, and kind of boring, IMO. The third one I turned off half an hour in. I couldn't stand it. Especially Witwicky, who was just an A-hole. I'll be skipping this one.

InBlack wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 09:32:
Pot Pie == Marijuana Pie??

'Cos that would be like, amazing...

That would simultaneously create and relieve food cravings leading to a paradox that would make one go insane. Or something.

It would create a... singularijuana. Beatnik

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 14:16 jdreyer

I expected to be blinded. By science.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo