Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Eidos Montreal Layoffs

Kotaku reports that THIEF developer Eidos Montreal laid off 27 employees today, following up on earlier reports that between 20 and 50 staff were let go. They got this official statement on the topic:

Yes it is true we've let 27 people go today, unfortunately it's something that every major studio has to do sometimes in order to ensure you have the right set up for current and future projects. It's never a nice thing to do but we are genuinely trying to offer as much support as much as we can. We're trying to re-locate as many people as possible into other roles here or at our other studios and we've been in touch several studios in Montreal to arrange a career day for those affected by this. We're very thankful for all their hard work and we sincerely wish them well.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

13. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 20:40 MajorD

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 19:08:
Overon wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 18:49:
Rattlehead wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 18:20:
Pretty standard practice to lay off most of the staff after a project has been shipped, and even more common when reviews are not up to par. This is why the gaming industry can kiss my ass as far as I'm concerned.
If that's the case they should lay off the people whose direction resulted in the sub par reviews. Not the people implementing their will. But that doesn't happen as often as it should.
To be fair you can not please a fan boy who's love was a game in the late 90's, as a fan boy with a game in the late 90's its just not going to happen because this period was golden... at least we remember it that way.

The fan boy reviews passed off as objective and professional are a joke and do more damage than the suits.

As a game, there is little wrong with Thief, it's main problem is being called Thief. If it wasn't called Thief, it's main problem would not being called Thief.

Fuck game review fanboys.

Have you even played the game? Whether it is Thief or not a Thief game, there is A LOT wrong with it!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 20:37 MajorD

Pretty standard practice to lay off most of the staff after a project has been shipped, and even more common when reviews are not up to par. This is why the gaming industry can kiss my ass as far as I'm concerned.
If that's the case they should lay off the people whose direction resulted in the sub par reviews game. Not the people implementing their will. But that doesn't happen as often as it should.

Fixed that for you.

11. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 19:39 Zarkonis

Read as, "thanks for all your 65 hour work weeks trying to make impossible deadlines, now fuck you".  
Slow and steady might not win the race at first, until you shoot everyone ahead of you.

10. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 19:12 Julio

I'm not really sure why this is news, or at least a big story versus a one heading under something else as it seems like daily someone is laid off in the gaming industry.

If you want job stability, don't work for the major gaming companies.

9. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 19:08 netnerd85

If that's the case they should lay off the people whose direction resulted in the sub par reviews. Not the people implementing their will. But that doesn't happen as often as it should.
To be fair you can not please a fan boy who's love was a game in the late 90's, as a fan boy with a game in the late 90's its just not going to happen because this period was golden... at least we remember it that way.

The fan boy reviews passed off as objective and professional are a joke and do more damage than the suits.

As a game, there is little wrong with Thief, it's main problem is being called Thief. If it wasn't called Thief, it's main problem would not being called Thief.

Fuck game review fanboys.

8. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 18:49 Overon

7. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 18:46 netnerd85

27 of 500 is hardly most.

6. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 18:28 Cutter

It's so standard now there's no point to these PR blurbs about it. In fact why even hire FT at all? Hire them as contractors so at least they get taxable benefits out of it and they'd save money on HR too.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 18:20 Rattlehead

4. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 18:16 Task

Ouch, so the Thief franchise is on hold for another 15 years?  

3. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 18:11 SirKnight

BobBob wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 17:47:
The lesson is .. never work in game development unless you live in a hotel and rent a car.

Or...The lesson is, never work in game development unless you live in a van down by the river!

2. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 17:50 Wildone

I been at companies for 5-7 years but yea..all things must end eventually  

1. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 4, 2014, 17:47 BobBob

The lesson is .. never work in game development unless you live in a hotel and rent a car.  

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo