Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth

Ubisoft announces the release of South Park: The Stick of Truth, saying this action/RPG from South Park Digital Studios and Obsidian Entertainment is now available for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. The first reviews can be found listed among today's game reviews (the PC edition currently has a metascore of 84), here's a spiffy new launch trailer (NSFW), and here's word on the release of the game:

Written and voiced by South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker, South Park: The Stick of Truth is the definitive South Park experience. Arm yourself with weapons of legend to defeat Underpants Gnomes, hippies and other forces of evil in the epic quest to become... cool. Discover the lost Stick of Truth and earn your place at the side of Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny as their new friend. Succeed and you shall be South Park’s savior, cementing your social status at South Park Elementary. Fail and you will forever be known as… a douchebag.

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 20:25 HorrorScope

Illumin wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 12:35:
Looks great but to short for 60$. Will pick it up on a summer sale.

Same. I want to play this, but $60, really? Read the market imo.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 18:51 harlock

jdreyer wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 13:59:
harlock wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 11:14:
avianflu wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 10:42:
GS calls it "easy short and shallow:"

yeh supposedly 10-12 hours for full completion with sidequests

That's about average for narrative single player games these days.

witcher 3 is supposed to be 50-80.. but yeh its not an average game

i prefer epic length in rpgs, but in this case its probably a good sweet spot .. not sure if i can handle that much south park

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 17:10 verybad1

Illumin wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 12:35:

Exactly this for myself. I do want it, and if they come up with additional "campaigns" then it will be ideal. But not paying $60.00 for this.

Wonder if it's modable. That could be cool if it ends up with loads of mods...

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 17:08 nin

jdreyer wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 17:05:
ViRGE wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 14:23:
Okay, I have a complaint: why are game developers still using friggin Bink video? It's 2014. Please for the love of Mike start using H.264, it's hardware accelerated and it has higher quality to boot.

When the game began development, Bink video was still the standard.

Well played, sir!

UPS delivered my copy right as I pulled into the driveway - score!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 17:05 jdreyer

ViRGE wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 14:23:
Okay, I have a complaint: why are game developers still using friggin Bink video? It's 2014. Please for the love of Mike start using H.264, it's hardware accelerated and it has higher quality to boot.

When the game began development, Bink video was still the standard.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2014, 17:00 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 13:54:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 11:41:
Just a blatant piece of trash.

So's your mom, but that doesn't stop all the guys from the naval yard down the road from stopping by every day.

Why did I get the mental image of a nuke going off when I got done reading that? Oh, right, because EPIC BURN!

Anyway, all I can say as I sit here staring at the box, moments from installing is 'Please don't suck, please don't suck, PLEASE GOD IN HEAVEN AND EVERYTHING THAT IS HOLY (SHIT) - DON'T SUCK!'

Truth be told, I'm not really a South Park fan. But the game looks intriguing and I need something to get me in a good mood, so as long as it's not a bug-ridden cash grab, I think I'll enjoy it. I always felt South Park was a little obnoxious, especially the earlier seasons, but having been watching 'Drawn Together' episodes all weekend, it kinda puts South Park in a new light....kinda.

I was undecided at first whether to get the PS3 version or the PC version. My PS3 doesn't get enough play time even though it sits here on top of the computer using my monitors second (HDMI) input. The only thing I've been using it for lately is GTA5 and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (yes, I'm a cheap bastard, haven't gone for GT5 Premium Deluxe Special Elite Edition yet or GT6) nor have I picked up Red Dead Redemption but I've eyed it a few times in my browsing of the local Wal-Mart...soon, my pretty, soon...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 16:30 jacobvandy

GMG has been handing out coupons for this game like candy the past few months, so if you paid more than $45 you ought to kick yourself. I just spent 90 minutes doing the tutorial section and exploring, and loved it.  

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 16:16 Task

Here is a buy guide:

A. Are you a fan of South Park? If Yes, Proceed to B.
B. Are you a fan of Obsidian games? If yes, Proceed to C.

C. Buy.

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 14:23 ViRGE

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 14:02 saluk

I've been waiting for another SP movie for a long time.

Instead of a 2 hour movie for $10 I get 12 hours for $60? Where do I sign up?

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 14:00 Talisorn

nin wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 13:57:
Talisorn wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 13:55:
You guys do know this is a Ubisoft game? HAVE YOU NO SHAME!?!?

Is there a problem?

SCREW YOU HIPPIES! IT'S UBISOFT GODDAMNIT!!!

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2014, 15:49.

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 13:59 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 11:14:
avianflu wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 10:42:
GS calls it "easy short and shallow:"

yeh supposedly 10-12 hours for full completion with sidequests

That's about average for narrative single player games these days. The BF 4 SP campaign is half that, for example. Also, I could buy 5 (older) bluray disks for the same amount of money and get about the same number of hours of enjoyment.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 13:57 nin

Talisorn wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 13:55:

Is there a problem?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 13:55 Talisorn

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 13:54 Cutter

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 11:41:
Just a blatant piece of trash.

So's your mom, but that doesn't stop all the guys from the naval yard down the road from stopping by every day.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 13:30 Beamer

The only thing I hear is shallow is the combat, but for decent reason. JRPG combat tends to get tedious and repetitive, and comedy during combat does as well, as you see things over and over and over and over.
Making it a bit more shallow and avoidable can only be beneficial. It lets you get back to the good parts of the game.

I gave up on the early FF games after they hit the point, early on, that I just wanted to explore and see the plot and dreaded every stupid, time-consuming random encounter.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 13:08 Prez

From the reviews they obviously took full advantage of the license. I am SOO getting this!

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2014, 19:22.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 12:40 Undocumented Alien

It's pretty much an interactive South Park episode, so pretty great if you're into that.

Exactly, you are a character in the show and interact with the other South Park characters as such. It has been pretty immersive so far.

Is it worth $60? Not sure yet, but I'm not disappointed.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 12:36 PropheT

I impulse bought it last night, and it's pretty good. The combat is fun, and if you like South Park it more or less gives you free reign to run around and visit all different parts of the town and its characters.

If you play, be sure to take a side trip to Cartman's mom's room upstairs. Looting the drawers there made me laugh way too much.

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 12:35 Illumin

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo