Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III XP Bonus

Battle.net announces that for a limited time, playing Diablo III on Windows or OS X will net players a 50% experience point bonus in the action/RPG sequel to pave the way for the release of the Reaper of Souls expansion at the end of this month:

This hefty XP bonus gives your heroes a leg up on the new Paragon Leveling System, which just went live in patch 2.0.1. The new Paragon Leveling system not only allows ALL of your characters to share and contribute towards a single account-wide Paragon level, but it also grants bonus ability points with each Paragon level gained, which can be discretionally assigned to your character’s stats.

View
99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

59. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 16:34 Krovven

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:15:
Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:06:
Claiming online only is purely about DRM is about as obtuse as claiming that PoE isn't popular, when it has seen it's own success, just on a smaller scale to that of Diablo.
When the game is released for consoles and can be played without an internet connection, then what is the on-line requirement other than DRM?

I'm not going to go round and round in circles on the topic because I've said it all before. The narrow minded response is always "If they could do it here, why can't they do it on PC?". Three things (among many many more), they don't control PSN or Live and the consoles have same screen coop, there are far more consoles not connected to the net.

I find it humorous that people still take issue with a coop game being online only. There are hundreds/thousands of them out there...but no others take as much shit about it simply because the game from 14 years ago had an offline mode. Reality is, there are so few people that will only ever play single player only Diablo 3, they can go play something else if that's all they want.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 16:29 descender

Every news article about D3 doesn't have to turn into a "Axis thinks PoE is better" thread. No one cares! Your jealousy and obsession with PoE vs D3 is ridiculous. If PoE was better, it wouldn't have to be compared to D2/D3 and would stand on it's own merit. According to you the only thing it seems to have going for it is that it's "more like D2 than D3". Wow. Great innovation there. I can't imagine why more people don't play it. /sarcasm

You know it is possible for both games to exist, without having to measure their dicks against each other... right?

The "fix" you referred to was just released to everyone for free. You seem to proudly not understand the difference between the patch and the expansion. Have you even ran the game since launch week? It's obvious that your opinion on the game hasn't changed since then, and is basically useless to anyone reading it.

Lots of the complaints about these 2 games are almost identical... People complained the loot in D3 was too rare/useless/boring/whatever... and all of the complaints i hear about end-game PoE is that the loot drops are terrible, and most players end up having to buy gear instead of waiting for it to drop. People complain about the skill runes and lack of trees in D3, but you know what isn't better? The megolith of passive skill "trees" in PoE in which you really have to focus in one particular area anyway to be effective. Diversity of builds in PoE is not a real thing, it's a mirage hidden behind a bunch of silly passive stats.

The attraction to PoE should have been the different leagues/races and such... but that focus seems to have been lost. :/

57. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 16:21 Verno

I'm not sure what popularity of a game has to do with it being online only or not.

You were trying to draw a parallel between not hearing discussion about POEs online only functionality. I was just commenting that we don't get much POE discussion on this particular forum (not saying POE isnt popular period BTW) so it's not really here nor there to me. I've seen a few users comment on it here and there but POE in general doesn't seem to get much discussion here for whatever reason.

Blizzard was trying to fight hackers etc etc etc

Yeah I've heard all that before, this debate is silly at this point. I still don't buy it as the primary motivator behind it. I'm sure that was a factor but much like the RMAH I think it was a business decision first, everything else second. Regardless it doesn't really matter anymore, most of the rationalizations don't make much sense given the state of the game today and people have long since made up their mind one way or the other.

The game isn't changing in that regard at this point so I think anyone who really cares about it is going to get their fix somewhere else. I don't really care myself, I just found the excuses lacking but we'll agree to disagree there.

Just to add...while there is offline in the console versions of Diablo 3, there is also item stat hacking, which is not present in the online PC game.

That's because there is no server component, the console versions are peer to peer (so far anyway, not sure about the eventual PS4 release). The MP for them is the newer equivalent of open battle net. Blizzard probably wasn't allowed to have the clients connect to battle.net proper, at least not within the framework of the consoles. Someone who cares about offline mode probably doesn't care either way but *shrug*.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2014, 16:32.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

56. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 16:15 Mr. Tact

Claiming online only is purely about DRM is about as obtuse as claiming that PoE isn't popular, when it has seen it's own success, just on a smaller scale to that of Diablo.
When the game is released for consoles and can be played without an internet connection, then what is the on-line requirement other than DRM?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

55. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 16:06 Krovven

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:24:
Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:18:
I find it amusing that some people still can't see the benefits of it being online only outside of it being just for DRM.

I don't really see any left at this point. The protection against hackers and dupers is dubious at best, especially at this point in the game. People tried to make some arguments about the dynamic joining but they could have easily separated game modes with a toggle to appease people. The existence of the console versions proves that and the offline functionality works very well, I've used it extensively. They're not going to patch it out now because they don't want people running private servers competing with them and so on, that's fine and the ship sailed long ago anyway. If I want offline I'll just buy a console version.

Nobody ever claimed it wasn't DRM, they just pointed out the other benefits that went along with it. PoE is online only...yet nobody ever bitches about that. Being free to play isn't a valid argument either.

I'm not digging up ancient threads to have the same tired debates again but yes, several people did claim it wasn't for DRM. I have seen people here bitch about it with regards to POE as well and POE isn't a very popular game here judging by the lack of responses in its threads so I'm not sure its really conclusive either way. Personally it didn't bug me much in Diablo 3 but the handwaving about design choices when everyone knew it was DRM was pretty silly of Blizzard.

I'm not sure what popularity of a game has to do with it being online only or not. The fact that Diablo (like WoW) is so popular is what attracts people to abuse the systems for their own gain. Other games don't have these problems on the same scale because they don't have millions of people around the world to benefit from. The rest of your statements are skirting any actual facts. What duping and hacking in D3? It's certainly not as widespread as it was in D2 and has been very contained in D3. There was a very brief problem with some dupe thing in the AH that was quickly closed and the people that exploited it were banned and the gold removed. There is botting, which can exist in every game due to the way it works and there was some AH thing that allowed people to break auctions that were posted at their base value. Other than that, I'm not aware of any cheating going on. Both of these problems are being dealt with the removal of the AH and gear being BoA.

If the assholes of the world weren't always just out to exploit things companies like Blizzard wouldn't have to constantly be making design choices based solely around trying to prevent the exploits. It's a never ending task for them. The inclusion of the AH was an attempt at dealing with these problems from D2. It didn't work out very well and they have removed it. Being online only just allows them to have a more controlled environment. It's a coop game first and foremost and was designed as such. Claiming online only is purely about DRM is about as obtuse as claiming that PoE isn't popular, when it has seen it's own success, just on a smaller scale to that of Diablo. But reality is, no other ARPG has seen anywhere near the success Diablo franchise has.

Just to add...while there is offline in the console versions of Diablo 3, there is also item stat hacking, which is not present in the online PC game.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2014, 16:13.

54. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 16:04 OpticNerve

Yeah with the Torment levels, the game is definitely not easy but it's also not unfairly absurd like Inferno difficulty initially was on release (unless you had a specific class and build). The skill/rune system is still iffy imo (I prefer skill trees) but the newest patch did alter the skills and runes quite a bit so that there's a lot more build diversity now. And the Loot 2.0 system is addictive since you're always playing and hoping to get a Legendary that can completely alter your build and playstyle.  

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

53. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 15:50 Verno

Having said that, I see why many others like it -- It's popular, it looks and sounds good, it's one of the few arpg's on consoles, and it's easy.

Nah that's outdated info, they added difficulty modifiers to the game so that people can have an easy or very challenging experience. Much like POE there's also a defined progression path that people can choose to follow or not. You should really reinstall the game sometime, they've changed a lot since Wilson got the boot.

52. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 15:38 Axis

OpticNerve wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 14:58:
Axis wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 14:34:
Well D3 has been plastered hardcore - every tiny scrap of info - here on BN for the last couple weeks.

Meanwhile tonight or tomorrow's news will show a blip of what a tiny ARPG company has managed with it's next 4-month league.

And frankly that's the only news worth of mention - throwing wads of $$$ from a gigantic corp with gigantic dev teams to make a 2-year game somewhat enjoyable to those who would like it if it was covered in shit sure isn't news to me.

I really, REALLY wanted to get addicted to PoE and the devs have my utmost respect with what they have done as a small studio. They really do try and to do things differently with the ARPG formula and I do think that PoE is honestly a very good game regardless of my criticisms about it.

But the thing that stuck out with me and sort of relates with your comment is that due to Blizzard throwing millions of $$$s into the game, it really does show with how slick and smooth combat is with Diablo 3 and what I didn't feel from Path of Exile. Even back when I was hating on release Diablo 3, I did notice and comment on how slick the base combat system was with the feedback, hit detection, ragdolling and even just how the mass numbers get spat out.

I really do hope that with the money that the PoE developers are making, that they'll go back and rework the combat animations and feedback since I think that it's one of the more common initial criticisms that I tend to see from people about the game.

Ya that's all true, agreed -- the animations and fluidity (but mainly the over the top physics) stand out in D3 when compared to PoE, there's a heftiness that can be 'felt' more.

However I'm well beyond being impressed by bling anymore, I'm about gameplay, innovation, and whether or not the developers deserve my money and time. I despised D3 developers for fooling the masses, most of whom simply wanted to hit the ground running getting in on a game IP they knew was all the rage. And the game ended up being a sub-par experience across the board peppered with corporation revenue selfishness.

And I've yet to see anything that disputes my initial judgement. The company makes a sub-par D2 successor, and the 'fix it' update costs 66% the initial cash-grab. RoS is an increased loot-balloon gambling process with a few more assets thrown in with the knowledge it will sell like hotcakes just because.

Compare D3 class forums to PoE class forums and it's truly sad - PoE is ALL builds, D3 is junk.

Here's D3 Demon Hunters Forum

Here's PoE's Ranger Forum

It's not even close. You wouldn't even know there were any D3 builds at all if you came in with zero knowledge of the genre.

There is little to gleam from the new D3:RoS but popping loot balloons - it's more fun than pulling the slot machine lever, but its certainly not innovation in the ARPG dept, not harkening back to its roots, and not a good example of a passionate development team.

Having said that, I see why many others like it -- It's popular, it looks and sounds good, it's one of the few arpg's on consoles, and it's easy. And for that fine, enjoy it. I couldn't imagine trying to have my son grasp PoE, but he has no problem with D3...

Yours truly,

Axis

51. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 15:34 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:27:
I quite enjoy the new Patch 2.0 experience to be honest. Adventure mode looks exactly like what Diablo 3 needs to be fun with strangers.

Loot 2.0 is definitely a big deal and changes the game in more ways than just finding shiny stuff. Playing the game with my girlfriend we had characters well geared in no time but the game managed to consistently challenge us to make good choices about build direction based on gear drops. I haven't had a chance to check out the adventure mode coverage yet but will definitely do so. I thought Diablo 3 was a very middling game before but really enjoyed it since the loot system upgrade, I think people should be open minded.

50. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 15:27 eRe4s3r

Dagnamit wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 10:37:
I found stuff for my demon hunter now that completely changes how she plays. And it's optional, hard choices to make as well since you find a lot of cool stuff.

Exactly,

I found a neck for my newly rolled level 20 wizard that makes him an arcane dealing god. something like 21% passive arcane dmg buff with a 4 charge arcane shield that deals 317% weapon damage, in 5yd AOE. It scales with level and weapons so well I honestly don't think I'll ever replace it. I should probably bump the difficulty just because of it, tbh.

I found amulet that heals me when I take arcane damage, and protects me completely otherwise from it, so I can stand in the laser beam traps arcane enchanted enemies throw around and heal myself Kinda cool amulet with otherwise crappy stats, don't think I'll replace THAT anytime soon. Complete Immunity to arcane damage is a huge buff ,p

As well as a body armor that allows me to summon 3 wolf companions instead of 1 (each doing 150% weapon damage and acting like the dudes a Witch Doctor gets, I am DH, so 3 wolves + companion that does 50k damage and I have a group of basically 4 guys and my character dealing damage nonstop. My wolves can handle most enemies on Master by themselves, Torment 2 is my current playground, although death still comes quickly... )

And that's in the range of 12 hours play time. 10 legendaries for my DH, including an legendary crossbow that shoots an explosive bolt every second attack, and thus allows me to do rapid fire attack with AOE Including some item that gives me poison nova on every second enemy I hit (but focused on me) so enemies close to me take lots of damage as well. My DH has become an AOE death dealer deluxe with crowd.

I quite enjoy the new Patch 2.0 experience to be honest. Adventure mode looks exactly like what Diablo 3 needs to be fun with strangers.

Considering Torment level 70 drops different legendaries I have no doubt that there are going to be items you find that allow you to change how you play drastically and according to YOUR wishes.

I found all those legendaries with my DH doing the entire Diablo quest line up to killing Diablo from the start just to see what has changed in patch 2.0 ... Normally you'd find me bashing Blizzard, but this Patch does things right. It's not hugely innovative nor does it fix EVERY problem Diablo 3 has, but it's FUN to play again.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2014, 15:32.

49. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 15:24 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:18:
I find it amusing that some people still can't see the benefits of it being online only outside of it being just for DRM.

I don't really see any left at this point. The protection against hackers and dupers is dubious at best, especially at this point in the game. People tried to make some arguments about the dynamic joining but they could have easily separated game modes with a toggle to appease people. The existence of the console versions proves that and the offline functionality works very well, I've used it extensively. They're not going to patch it out now because they don't want people running private servers competing with them and so on, that's fine and the ship sailed long ago anyway. If I want offline I'll just buy a console version.

Nobody ever claimed it wasn't DRM, they just pointed out the other benefits that went along with it. PoE is online only...yet nobody ever bitches about that. Being free to play isn't a valid argument either.

I'm not digging up ancient threads to have the same tired debates again but yes, several people did claim it wasn't for DRM. I have seen people here bitch about it with regards to POE as well and POE isn't a very popular game here judging by the lack of responses in its threads so I'm not sure its really conclusive either way. Personally it didn't bug me much in Diablo 3 but the handwaving about design choices when everyone knew it was DRM was pretty silly of Blizzard.

48. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 15:18 Krovven

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 14:55:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 14:46:
Yeah, the on-line requirement is a bogus excuse for DRM -- no one with half a clue would argue that.

Several people here certainly tried but yeah the curtain was ripped away with the console versions and the offing of the AH.

I find it amusing that some people still can't see the benefits of it being online only outside of it being just for DRM. Nobody ever claimed it wasn't DRM, they just pointed out the other benefits that went along with it. PoE is online only...yet nobody ever bitches about that. Being free to play isn't a valid argument either.

47. Re: Op Ed Mar 4, 2014, 15:16 LibertyOrDeath

D3 is turning out to be a ton of fun.  

46. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 14:58 OpticNerve

Axis wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 14:34:
Well D3 has been plastered hardcore - every tiny scrap of info - here on BN for the last couple weeks.

Meanwhile tonight or tomorrow's news will show a blip of what a tiny ARPG company has managed with it's next 4-month league.

And frankly that's the only news worth of mention - throwing wads of $$$ from a gigantic corp with gigantic dev teams to make a 2-year game somewhat enjoyable to those who would like it if it was covered in shit sure isn't news to me.

I really, REALLY wanted to get addicted to PoE and the devs have my utmost respect with what they have done as a small studio. They really do try and to do things differently with the ARPG formula and I do think that PoE is honestly a very good game regardless of my criticisms about it.

But the thing that stuck out with me and sort of relates with your comment is that due to Blizzard throwing millions of $$$s into the game, it really does show with how slick and smooth combat is with Diablo 3 and what I didn't feel from Path of Exile. Even back when I was hating on release Diablo 3, I did notice and comment on how slick the base combat system was with the feedback, hit detection, ragdolling and even just how the mass numbers get spat out.

I really do hope that with the money that the PoE developers are making, that they'll go back and rework the combat animations and feedback since I think that it's one of the more common initial criticisms that I tend to see from people about the game.

45. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 14:55 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 14:46:
Yeah, the on-line requirement is a bogus excuse for DRM -- no one with half a clue would argue that.

Several people here certainly tried but yeah the curtain was ripped away with the console versions and the offing of the AH.

I'm personally pretty stoked for the Ultimate Evil edition for the PS4, split screen ARPG is fun as hell.

44. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 14:46 Mr. Tact

Yeah, the on-line requirement is a bogus excuse for DRM -- no one with half a clue would argue that. That it's there is annoying. However, I've been watching D3 from afar for since launch. The videos of the ROS beta finally pushed me over the edge. With a concern I might regret it, I gave in and bought D3 on Friday afternoon, the 21st.

I have to say, I've enjoyed it -- and I loved it after the 2.0 patch. Probably put in 40 hours in the last 12 days.. I would add it up, but the hours played on my Wizard were clearly zeroed at some point.

43. removed Mar 4, 2014, 14:34 Axis

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 4, 2014, 15:55.

Yours truly,

Axis

42. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 14:31 OpticNerve

D'oh, double post.  

41. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 14:30 OpticNerve

I would have to disagree here.

I currently play a Demon Hunter and there are a bunch of popular Demon Hunter builds that strictly rely on specific Legendaries (such as the current FotM "Endless Frozen Arrow build" that requires the Krider Shot Legendary bow) or requires specific types of gear and skills/passives such as the Unlimited Chakram/Multishot build, etc. I'm sure the same applies to the other classes as well.

I was probably one of the more critical people of release Diablo 3 due to my love of Diablo 1 and 2. It still has glaring flaws but the Loot 2.1 patch really did help make the game a lot more fun now. I never thought I would say this since I vehemently disliked release Diablo 3 and I have to eat crow to my friends, but I really am looking forward to the expansion.

InBlack wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 09:49:
Think back, think back to Diablo2:LOD please. Think of the builds you tried or attempted to make, think of the Javazon, the Burizon, the Hammerdin, the Zealot, the Warcrier Barbarian.....the myrad number of possible builds for every simple class.

A lot of those builds depended on specific loot items and combinations (Still missing in Diablo3)

A lot of those builds depended on specific skill tree progressions and synergies (Still missing in Diablo3)

ALL of those builds were playable on the hardest difficulty even without the best equipment (Unless you spent your points willy nilly, but Still missing in Diablo3)

Also, (mostly) completely random levels, mini bosses, monster placements. Nuff said.

Also replayability, why would you ever roll more than one character of each class in D3??

Still think it was ALL about the loot?

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2014, 14:46.

40. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 14:19 Mr. Tact

Which ARPG is it that you are playing Cutter?  

99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo