Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III XP Bonus

Battle.net announces that for a limited time, playing Diablo III on Windows or OS X will net players a 50% experience point bonus in the action/RPG sequel to pave the way for the release of the Reaper of Souls expansion at the end of this month:

This hefty XP bonus gives your heroes a leg up on the new Paragon Leveling System, which just went live in patch 2.0.1. The new Paragon Leveling system not only allows ALL of your characters to share and contribute towards a single account-wide Paragon level, but it also grants bonus ability points with each Paragon level gained, which can be discretionally assigned to your characterís stats.

View
99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

79. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 5, 2014, 07:54 Mr. Tact

I'll be interested to hear your results, InBlack. I basically avoided those frustrations by waiting to buy it until 2 weeks ago. I'm pretty happy with my decisions so far -- both the waiting and the purchase.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

78. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 5, 2014, 04:34 InBlack

I dont know how to feel about items being bound on account. Especially if they are the best items in the game, i.e. legendaries. It feels wrong somehow. OK, removing the AH solved a lot of issues but why would they want to kill trade COMPLETELY? I couldnt care less if someone a friend or party member or whatever, found the UBER GRUBER BOW OF OWNING ASZ if its bound on account? Why would I? But if its NOT bound I would be fascinated because suddenly that bow has VALUE to people other than its owner...especially on Hardcore. I play hardcore exclusively...

Im gonna have to install D3 now, youve convinced me to try it. If frustration starts to build up in me like it did @ launch, Ill have my answer...

I have a nifty blue line!

77. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 5, 2014, 04:23 Krovven

Primalchrome wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 00:08:
Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:06:
The inclusion of the AH was an attempt at dealing with these problems from D2.
Your naivete is very cute.

As is your idiocy. The AH was Blizz's answer to getting people away from dealing with shady 3rd party sites selling gold an items. They wanted a piece of that, hard to fault them for it. It worked, but it caused problems with the game. I was all for the inclusion of the GAH, but it hurt the game so I'm all for getting rid of it and going with the system they have now. I'd just like to see them open up the trading to within clan members instead of just the group you are with.

On another note, I got a pretty sweet game breaking helm tonight. Blind Faith, 32.9% chance to blind enemies. Changing my build to pure DPS (320k), my Wiz can solo Torment 6 quite easily with this helm.

Wizards really are a bit OP right now and I wouldn't be surprised if they get nerfed a bit.

76. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 5, 2014, 00:08 Primalchrome

Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:06:
The inclusion of the AH was an attempt at dealing with these problems from D2.
Your naivete is very cute.

75. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 21:48 Fion

Yea it's a hell of a lot more fun than it was at launch. I was lucky enough to get a very nice Mirrorball on my mage, an item that causes Magic Missile to split into 3 bolts at full damage each. So I'm building my character around maximizing that spell and using arcane magic and man is it fun.  

74. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 21:31 nin

Nuked my old character and started from scratch. Drops seems to be much more frequent. Combat seems much more frantic, in a good way.

Overall, a good first impression...

edit: Oh, and ran across two different treasure goblins within an hour. Always happy to see them.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2014, 22:24.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

73. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 20:04 Undocumented Alien

The game can also be played online. People stat hack their items and then take them online, where they percolate through the broader economy, affecting the experience of anyone who wants to play online. It was the same problem which affected Diablo I battle.net play (Hellspike armor anyone?) which I'm guessing from your affinity for capslock you are too young to have experienced first hand

D1 did NOT have a secure online B.NET mode, I played it and understand it (which is why I still want a OPTIOANAL SP mode like D1/D2 had). Caps are for people (or person in the case) with comprehension issues, people (person) that beat their head into the wall complaining about something that doesn't affect them, my apologies if it bothered you.

D2 came along and provided... wait for it... OPTIONS. SP Offline Mode, non-secure Online MP mode, AND Secure B.NET Characters.

Now that we got that straight, the reason D3 (PC) couldn't do this is?

72. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 19:58 Undocumented Alien

Lol you are fucking stupid. PS3 also has online and those hacked items can be traded. Know what the fuck you are talking about if you are going to sling shit. At least Verno has a clue about what he is saying, we just disagree. You clearly do not.

Wow dude, you are bottom of the barrel fucking dumb.

D2's OFFLINE did nothing to compromise the B.NET secure online mode, NOTHING. Do you understand that? Can you comprehend that?

D3's PS3 does not work with B.NET, so you can't be compromised by that either. Are you still with me? Can you comprehend this?

So let sum this up for your hamster sized brain, neither an OFFLINE mode OR non-B.NET online mode can affect your secure online B.NET characters, it worked that way with D2 and D3 (PS3). So your paranoia about being hacked by Diablo characters is incorrect in ANY scenario, understand this?

Yes, you can trade hacked items OUTSIDE of B.NET, but if you only use secure B.NET characters then why would you care?

71. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 19:30 Scottish Martial Arts

Undocumented Alien wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 17:07:
IT'S OFFLINE!!! WHY DO YOU CARE IF THERE IS ITEM STAT HACKING, IT AFFECTS YOUR EXPERIENCE 0%.

The game can also be played online. People stat hack their items and then take them online, where they percolate through the broader economy, affecting the experience of anyone who wants to play online. It was the same problem which affected Diablo I battle.net play (Hellspike armor anyone?) which I'm guessing from your affinity for capslock you are too young to have experienced first hand.

70. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 18:54 AngelicPenguin

D3 2.0 is great and I put a LOT of hours into the original (combat just never got old.)

My favorite found legendary so far is the one that gives you a huge speed boost when you break an object (of which there are tons.) So you put on an always on AOE skill around yourself and zip around like a speed hack.

That and the belt that gives you literally > double damage when you loot something, open a chest, etc. Get into an elite fight and start thinking "where's the chest?!"

69. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 18:33 Julio

There's no need forcing players to be online for D3 except for DRM. And the servers continue to be down.

I forgot how much server downtime there is for Diablo 3. Reminds me of NBA2K on PS4. If you're going to force online, then companies should pay for servers to be up all the time.

68. removed Mar 4, 2014, 18:30 Krovven

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 5, 2014, 07:08.

67. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 18:28 Krovven

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 17:44:
They could have easily had offline and separate online functionality without impacting it.

Isn't that kind of the point though? There were problems with offline and online Diablo 2. They couldn't easily have a separate offline functionality without having the same problems.

blizzard-says-it-was-wrong-to-allow-offline-play-in-diablo-ii

It comes down entirely to what a few people want and what's better for the whole of the game. They are never going to make everyone happy. Removing the AH has a lot of people upset, making gear BoA has a lot of people upset. But it's for the better of the game.

66. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 17:44 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:43:
Well I think you are wrong, simple as that. If the AH was all about profit for them, then they would just be making changes and keeping it in. If it was all about profit, then why even have the gold only AH at all? Removing the AH's and making items BoA is almost entirely about getting rid of botters and to get people playing the game and to get rid of all the new problems that the AH brought in.

Yeah I was having trouble parsing what you really thought

They already admitted the RMAH was a business decision. As for the gold AH I think it was an attempt to keep gold inflation down and I don't think it necessitates having the game be entirely online. They could have easily had offline and separate online functionality without impacting it. Regardless though they picked their path and the rest is history. I was never personally that upset with it and this is just going to keep going in circles. I just get where people are coming from on the subject and you don't agree with them, fair enough.

Maybe we can all move on from this stuff now and everyone can try the updated game and hopefully there will be a better outcome this time.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

65. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 17:07 Undocumented Alien

Just to add...while there is offline in the console versions of Diablo 3, there is also item stat hacking, which is not present in the online PC game.

IT'S OFFLINE!!! WHY DO YOU CARE IF THERE IS ITEM STAT HACKING, IT AFFECTS YOUR EXPERIENCE 0%.

Dam, you *think* you are some kind of debate expert and your points are some of the DUMBEST I have ever seen.

You think that what someone does OFFLINE affects you somehow. It DOEN'T, so stop using it as an excuse for pigeon-holing a game into Online only.

The Diablo series has ZERO reason to be online only, especially after getting rid the AH/RMAH. It's a SINGLE player story that can be beat by a SINGLE player. Coop is OPTIONAL, therefore there is NO need for the online only except as a DRM. Period.

PoE has leagues, PvP, and events, it has a least a decent reason to be online only.

64. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 17:03 Darks

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:34:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:27:
I quite enjoy the new Patch 2.0 experience to be honest. Adventure mode looks exactly like what Diablo 3 needs to be fun with strangers.

Loot 2.0 is definitely a big deal and changes the game in more ways than just finding shiny stuff. Playing the game with my girlfriend we had characters well geared in no time but the game managed to consistently challenge us to make good choices about build direction based on gear drops. I haven't had a chance to check out the adventure mode coverage yet but will definitely do so. I thought Diablo 3 was a very middling game before but really enjoyed it since the loot system upgrade, I think people should be open minded.

That was my same thoughts too; the game has been a lot better now. Far too many opinions about the game and Iím betting most havenít even tried it yet.

Adventure mode is not available yet, it wonít be until the Add-on is released. But that does look like it might be fun. Iím really waiting on the Crusader, Iíve always loved the Paladins and this Char is based off the Pally.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

63. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 16:54 descender

It was in Blizzard's best interests to protect their players, and they knew that real-money item trading was going to happen whether they accommodated it or not. Having a secure, in-house real-money option was a great idea. It still is a great idea. I don't see why they had to remove it to fix the loot drops though, these concepts should not have been connected in any way.

If the loot drops and difficulty are as fixed as they seem to be, then the desire or compelled "need" to go to the AH to get gear should be dramatically lessen already. Why not leave the option there for those who would still choose to utilize it?

What really happened was that the AH's pulled back the veil on how broken the loot generator and difficulty levels were at launch. If they weren't there, people would have simply thought they needed to spend more time farming the lower difficulty levels, and less time swooning over a few items the loot generator spit out over millions of iterations. This concept that the "end-game" is a goal to then be played continuously once reached is totally backwards.

Having to play through each act multiple times to be able to attain enough gear to play the next difficulty seems like a more rewarding experience with trackable progress to me. Hitting the level cap before you hit the end of the game seems really fucking dumb! But no... Instead everyone simply wants the quickest path to the level cap, and epic ultimate loot laid at their feet upon arrival. Somewhere along the line the mentality became that you should play each difficulty level once, and in that time you should have been handed enough gear to be able to play the next one. How is that any fun? Why bother with the difficulty and levels in the first place?!? This mentality was accommodated and it's no great surprise the end result was shit gameplay.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2014, 17:12.

62. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 16:48 Mr. Tact

Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:34:
I find it humorous that people still take issue with a coop game being online only. There are hundreds/thousands of them out there...but no others take as much shit about it simply because the game from 14 years ago had an offline mode. Reality is, there are so few people that will only ever play single player only Diablo 3, they can go play something else if that's all they want.
Listen, I have played PoE, WoW, and other on-line games. The issue is I don't want Blizzard pissing on my leg and telling me it is raining. They said it wasn't DRM, said the game COULDN'T work off-line. They were lying.

I played hundreds (thousands?) of hours of D2, and I'd say about 10% of was LAN games, not a single minute on Battle Net. I've been playing D3 for 12 days/40 hours and so far I have spent every minute of it alone in a private game and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

61. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 16:43 Krovven

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:21:
Blizzard was trying to fight hackers etc etc etc

Yeah I've heard all that before, this debate is silly at this point. I still don't buy it as the primary motivator behind it.

Well I think you are wrong, simple as that. If the AH was all about profit for them, then they would just be making changes and keeping it in. If it was all about profit, then why even have the gold only AH at all? Removing the AH's and making items BoA is almost entirely about getting rid of botters and to get people playing the game and to get rid of all the new problems that the AH brought in.

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:21:
That's because there is no server component, the console versions are peer to peer (so far anyway, not sure about the eventual PS4 release). The MP for them is the newer equivalent of open battle net. Blizzard probably wasn't allowed to have the clients connect to battle.net proper, at least not within the framework of the consoles. Someone who cares about offline mode probably doesn't care either way but *shrug*.

So you can come to this conclusion, but you can't figure out how online only isn't only about DRM? /facepalm

For the last time, just to be clear, I'm not saying it isn't partly about DRM. I'm saying there is more to it that benefits to the players, communities, and Blizzard as a whole.

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:37:
I think some of that is their own fault though, they had some messaging problems. In response to some of the complaints they said something along the lines we couldn't do this game offline ...

Find me where they said they "couldn't do it offline". This isn't EA and SimCity we are talking about here. They were always upfront and clear about why they were making it online only. They have even said that making Diablo 2 playable offline was a mistake. But people like to twist things in their own little minds to suit their arguments.

60. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 16:37 Verno

Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 16:34:
I'm not going to go round and round in circles on the topic because I've said it all before. The narrow minded response is always "If they could do it here, why can't they do it on PC?". Three things (among many many more), they don't control PSN or Live and the consoles have same screen coop, there are far more consoles not connected to the net.

I think some of that is their own fault though, they had some messaging problems. In response to some of the complaints they said something along the lines we couldn't do this game offline but then they went ahead and did just that with the console versions. So I get what you're saying there but they brought that on themselves a bit.

Reality is, there are so few people that will only ever play single player only Diablo 3, they can go play something else if that's all they want.

I don't know if that's true or not, it would be interesting to see how many people played Diablo 3 but never joined another session. Either way though I agree that people who really care can just get a console version or play a different game because at this point I doubt it will change.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo