Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dishonored II at E3?

All Games Beta has the image of a pretty official looking slide saying Dishonored II will have a "full reveal" at this year's E3. The only other detail offered about a sequel to Arkane's assassination game is the hashtag "#DarknessOfTyvia."

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 13:34 Beamer

When you get down to it, did the main storyline matter?

There was a revolution that made the city suck, or did it suck before? Corvo looked cool. He wanted to save a girl. Some demon was involved. You met weird people along the way, but they were part of the atmosphere, not the primary story. There was an evil person somewhere.

You could probably retell it nearly exactly and I wouldn't notice. The atmosphere (and characters that were a part of it) and gameplay far trumped the story of the main character.

And yes, it was less a stealth game and more a stealth/action game, as you could do both equally well once you got powered up. These are my favorite games. I adore stealth aspects but hate pure stealth games. Dishonored was right in my wheelhouse, letting me swoop in, cause some chaos, then swoop out as if I'd never been there. Sure, someone complained about stupid guards and me feeling overpowered, but that person misses what made that fun.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 13:07 Verno

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 11:15:
I did. Didn't really make much of a difference to the final level, to be honest. Every guard still walks around like he has no clue there's a supernatural assassin in the area. "Did I just see something? No, must be my imagination!"

I was more referring to the first part of his comment, not the latter. I don't mind that the AI didn't drastically change, development is expensive enough without redoing the AI for specific levels these days. Would it be cool? Sure. It also adds significantly to the development and Q/A budgets.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

32. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 11:17 nin

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 11:12:
MoonSpook wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 04:49:
I particularly like Samuel's reactions to you, especially at the start of the final mission..

That was one of the best parts of the game to me, that one split moment right there. (secret) Because I've been a murdering bastard, he says he's going to warn whatshisface that I'm coming. Well, Samuel, that's probably not a smart thing to say to a murdering bastard who has already eliminated half the city. So of course I kill him, but this has the very nice side-effect of the guards not actually being warned. I thought it was very cool that that was an option. Most games just go "You've followed path A, therefore the guards will be alerted." But here Samuel actually had to go out there to be able to warn them.

As for what SS said, yeah you could tell other stories, but I don't know. It's very likely just going to become a similar type of deal. Demonic dude gives another guy powers so he can go on a rampage or be a nice dude as desired. :-shrug-:

There were slight differences in the end movies, including the fact you killed that person in SST, I believe...pretty cool.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

31. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 11:15 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 09:11:
Yakubs wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 08:42:
Maybe the enemy forces will actually behave like there's a superhero assassin coming after them instead of wandering around like they just want their overtime pay. I especially love the final mission where the boss explicitly knows you're coming for him and he leaves his complex unlocked and guarded by about 10 incompetent foot soldiers.

But then again it made all the kids feel like REAL BADA$$E$ YO so I guess the game was a rousing success.

Play on Very Hard next time.

I did. Didn't really make much of a difference to the final level, to be honest. Every guard still walks around like he has no clue there's a supernatural assassin in the area. "Did I just see something? No, must be my imagination!"

If I was a guard in that situation and I thought I saw something, I'd begin shooting and I wouldn't stop until every single bullet in the world had been fired. But of course that would require programming different AI for the final level, and that's just not done in gaming. AI is exactly the same no matter the circumstances.

30. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 11:12 Creston

MoonSpook wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 04:49:
I particularly like Samuel's reactions to you, especially at the start of the final mission..

That was one of the best parts of the game to me, that one split moment right there. (secret) Because I've been a murdering bastard, he says he's going to warn whatshisface that I'm coming. Well, Samuel, that's probably not a smart thing to say to a murdering bastard who has already eliminated half the city. So of course I kill him, but this has the very nice side-effect of the guards not actually being warned. I thought it was very cool that that was an option. Most games just go "You've followed path A, therefore the guards will be alerted." But here Samuel actually had to go out there to be able to warn them.

As for what SS said, yeah you could tell other stories, but I don't know. It's very likely just going to become a similar type of deal. Demonic dude gives another guy powers so he can go on a rampage or be a nice dude as desired. :-shrug-:

29. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 11:09 Beamer

nin wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 08:51:
SS wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 04:28:
I'd say the story of Corvo doesn't need a sequel (But I'm sure you could do one) but the universe they created has plenty of other tales that could be told.

Exactly. The whole spirit realm and who the guy was was never explained, right? unless it was in the DLC I missed?

Yup. Seems very easy to just give us a new story line with the spirit realm and maybe the inventor.

-------------

28. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 10:14 Quinn

Frijoles wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 22:06:
Task wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 20:26:
I'm really confused. Both are two different games. Dishonored is magical and teleporting, taking over people's minds, etc. And Thief is pure sneak (I'm talking the originals) like you are just a regular Human in a fantasy world.

I played Dishonored in a way similar to Thief. I was sneaking everywhere, trying not to kill, and using the teleport a lot. Thief has the "press space to dash across the shadow", which feels a little like the teleport. The environment also feels very similar to me.

Nonetheless, Thief ain't Dishonored. Dishonored held my attention far longer. But they do feel similar.

Like I said before, I think comparing Dishonored with Thief is comparing Spider Man with Batman. Also, I hate Dishonored and like Thief very much -- although I'm starting to think my Dishonored hate isn't gameplay related but atmosphere related (fuck me was that game devoid character).

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

27. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 09:11 Verno

Yakubs wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 08:42:
Maybe the enemy forces will actually behave like there's a superhero assassin coming after them instead of wandering around like they just want their overtime pay. I especially love the final mission where the boss explicitly knows you're coming for him and he leaves his complex unlocked and guarded by about 10 incompetent foot soldiers.

But then again it made all the kids feel like REAL BADA$$E$ YO so I guess the game was a rousing success.

Play on Very Hard next time.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

26. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 08:51 nin

SS wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 04:28:
I'd say the story of Corvo doesn't need a sequel (But I'm sure you could do one) but the universe they created has plenty of other tales that could be told.

Exactly. The whole spirit realm and who the guy was was never explained, right? unless it was in the DLC I missed?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 08:42 Yakubs

24. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 05:39 MoonSpook

Squirmer wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 05:16:
Hope visibility is affected by light and shadow this time.

According to the ingame tutorials, it is, but only at a distance.

23. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 05:16 Squirmer

Hope visibility is affected by light and shadow this time.  

22. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 04:49 MoonSpook

I've just played through Dishonored for the second time, this time as a stabby Ghost, and enjoyed it as much as the first. I particularly like Samuel's reactions to you, especially at the start of the final mission..

I'm now working through the two story DLC, and they're as well put together as the main game. So yes, sign me up for a sequel.

As an aside, I had no idea until I looked at the credits that there's some pretty big names in the voice cast. Susan Sarandon, Michael Madsen, Brad Dourif, Carrie Fisher.. I did a double-take at that.

21. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 04:28 SS

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 02:44:
I quite enjoyed it, enough to even play through it twice with the "murder everyone" and the "be a nice guy" styles. (Note: Game is 10000 times better when you creatively murder everyone.)

However, I have no clue why this needs a sequel. The story was told, and told well...

I think Harvey Smith had actually said that he was on the fence about doing a sequel, as he felt the story was told as well.

I'd say the story of Corvo doesn't need a sequel (But I'm sure you could do one) but the universe they created has plenty of other tales that could be told. Plus I don't think publishers like one off games, they want to go for franchises which I imagine would net them more profits in the long run.

20. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 02:44 Creston

I quite enjoyed it, enough to even play through it twice with the "murder everyone" and the "be a nice guy" styles. (Note: Game is 10000 times better when you creatively murder everyone.)

However, I have no clue why this needs a sequel. The story was told, and told well...

I think Harvey Smith had actually said that he was on the fence about doing a sequel, as he felt the story was told as well.

19. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 02:12 Rossini

I liked the game and finished it. But I can't figure out why I have absolutely no desire to purchase any of the DLC or a possible sequel.  

18. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 01:05 Beamer

John wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 21:55:
PHJF wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 20:59:
Tried twice but couldn't get into it.
How far did you get into it? I didn't care for it too much at first but once I got further in with more abilities I really liked it.

I hated most of the start. Then I got a feel for it and loved it

-------------

17. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 3, 2014, 23:35 Jerykk

Quboid wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 21:58:
Dishonored and Thief (I think others were referring to the new one but either way) are both sneak/grab/stab games. They're not identical but they're in the same genre and sub-genre.

I tried Dishonored twice too. The first time I didn't get into it but the second time I got hooked and very much enjoyed it so Dishonored II is one to look out for. How good are Dishonored's expansion packs?

I wouldn't call them the same genre. Thief is a straight up stealth game. Combat is a last resort. Conversely, Dishonored is a hybrid stealth/action game. You can go pure stealth if you want but full action is equally viable.

As for Dishonored's DLC, they're great (Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches, that is). Excellent level design, cool new weapons and enemies and more interesting backstory and lore. Definitely worth picking up both.

16. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 3, 2014, 22:06 Frijoles

Task wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 20:26:
I'm really confused. Both are two different games. Dishonored is magical and teleporting, taking over people's minds, etc. And Thief is pure sneak (I'm talking the originals) like you are just a regular Human in a fantasy world.

I played Dishonored in a way similar to Thief. I was sneaking everywhere, trying not to kill, and using the teleport a lot. Thief has the "press space to dash across the shadow", which feels a little like the teleport. The environment also feels very similar to me.

Nonetheless, Thief ain't Dishonored. Dishonored held my attention far longer. But they do feel similar.

15. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 3, 2014, 21:58 Quboid

Dishonored and Thief (I think others were referring to the new one but either way) are both sneak/grab/stab games. They're not identical but they're in the same genre and sub-genre.

I tried Dishonored twice too. The first time I didn't get into it but the second time I got hooked and very much enjoyed it so Dishonored II is one to look out for. How good are Dishonored's expansion packs?

- Quboid

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo