Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DICE Addressing BF "Netcode"

A new post on The Battlefield Blog talks about work on the "netcode" in Battlefield 4, with the title of the post providing the quotation marks, though probably not ironically. It's a lengthy post that goes into details about network problems they have already addressed, as well as other connectivity-related issues they are still investigating in the military shooter sequel. Here's the overview:

We are working on fixing glitches in your immediate interactions with the game world: the way you move and shoot, the feedback when you’re hit, and the way other players’ actions are shown on your screen.

The game receives updates from the game server and displays these to the player using a system called latency compensation – this system makes sure players move around naturally on your screen when network updates arrive. We have found and fixed several issues with latency compensation, and thereby decreased the impressions of “one hit kills” in the game.

We have also fixed several issues that could lead to rubber banding, and we are working on fixing several more. Below you’ll find a detailed list of the issues we are focusing on, or have already adjusted in-game. We hope this gives you more insight into the “netcode” issues and we will continue to keep you updated on top issues.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 4, 2014, 09:15 Verno

I'm getting bored of BF4 but I can't say I didn't get my moneys worth, 100 hours total. Less than most other BF games I've played but still had a good time, bugs and all. Naval Strike sounds cool but I think I'll shelve this for awhile and check it out later. The gunplay mechanics are much improved but the netcode really does feel like garbage, so many nonsense deaths. If you're going to have such a low tick rate then you need a lower time to kill as well, half of my deaths feel like my soldier just implodes out of nowhere.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 4, 2014, 07:53 SpectralMeat

Julio wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 05:06:
Not sure why they don't move on to BF5. BF4 is getting old in EA years. Maybe they still have some DLC already created to sell, before launching BF5 by 2015.
Answered your own question there.
2015 Oct we'll have BF5

Steam: SpectralMeat

26. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 4, 2014, 05:06 Julio

Not sure why they don't move on to BF5. BF4 is getting old in EA years. Maybe they still have some DLC already created to sell, before launching BF5 by 2015.  

25. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 4, 2014, 04:10 eRe4s3r

Tom wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 18:07:
It'd be nice if they fixed it so that you couldn't get shot so often after already having taken cover. That is really annoying. If they fixed that, maybe I'd play a little more. And they'd have to do a heck of a lot more than that to convince me to buy Premium. Not shoving it down my throat every time I go to play would be a start.

That happens because of tick-rate, currently servers run on 10hz that means, 1 tick every 100ms - also called "server induced lag"

This means if you have ping of 20, your actual ping is 120 (in worst case) and 21 (in best case) depending on when during a tick you do something. This sounds terrible but in reality it's very useful ;p During each tick 100% sync info needs to be send, this is HUGE amount of bandwidth for a vast open maps with hundreds of things that change every few seconds like BF4 has them.

Even increasing tick-rate to 20hz would be a vast improvement though servers would require lots more bandwidth.

24. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 4, 2014, 03:18 InBlack

1, 2 years. Who gives a shit right?

I mean right about the time that they iron out all of the major bugs still left in BF4 they will release BF5 and that will be the end of that....History repeating itself.

I have a nifty blue line!

23. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 4, 2014, 02:57 RamataKahn

deqer wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 18:17:
What the fuck is wrong with these people? BF3 works fine. So, how do you fuck up BF4? ... Not to mention that BF3 and BF4 are only 1 year apart. I mean, seriously...

They were two years apart.

22. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 22:41 Beelzebud

RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 19:11:
Maybe they could just license id's netcode from Bethesda since apparently they can't seen to get this right. Epic's netcode might be alright too, but not from the original Unreal...

Given that id's recent netcode was a peer 2 peer system with no servers at all, I'll pass.

21. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 22:39 Jackplug

Netcode is something that should of been rock solid from the beginning not oh we'll look at fixing it 4 months down the line, maybe tweaking it alittle but not in the context that they are doing now.

For me it just shows the lack of polish they put into their games and respect that they have for their fans or anyone that buys their games, one example is when they told the BF community back before the BF3 release that were not brainy enough to understand their map editor, So fuck em.

20. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 22:17 xXBatmanXx

RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 21:32:
Also I like the way they put "netcode" in quotes.

My take on that is they believe they are humoring us. They believe what they have far exceeds the technical definition and bounds of what we understand as "netcode".

So therefore rather then confuse us with something too complex for us to understand, they just use our term "netcode" to keep it simple for us.

In reality, it's just netcode. Bad netcode.

Like their updates for their BFBC2 games that were GB instead of MB cause they had to recompile the whole damn engine on our box cause they felt we are too dumb to make our own content so they locked the whole damn thing down?

Yea, probably the same thing. heheheheh

Still amazed that in 1996 I could play over a modem on a Quake game and the game played better than most AAA 6v6 (CoD) games and the last 2 BF games. And that was 10 v 10 or some shit!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

19. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 21:52 Quboid

netcode*

*carrier pigeon

This shouldn't have been a problem at launch of course but these things happen. This blog reads like it was posted a few days after release and if it was I could maybe have forgiven them but it's been over 4 months! How much of a community is left? How many haven't moved on?

With CoD showing that it may be giving up the Ghost, this was a big opportunity for Dice. Whoops.

- Quboid

18. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 21:32 RaZ0r!

Also I like the way they put "netcode" in quotes.

My take on that is they believe they are humoring us. They believe what they have far exceeds the technical definition and bounds of what we understand as "netcode".

So therefore rather then confuse us with something too complex for us to understand, they just use our term "netcode" to keep it simple for us.

In reality, it's just netcode. Bad netcode.

17. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 21:28 xXBatmanXx

Biggest part of a problem.....admitting you have a problem. Good start.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 20:05 DukeFNukem

So in other words DICE released this game into the wild about a year before it actually should have been released...that is the take away from this post. I am so glad I never bought it.
The last DICE game I purchased was BFBC2 for about $7 on Steam. I loved that game.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

15. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 19:35 DangerDog

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 18:42:
The only question now is when BF5 is released, will they be starting here and moving forward? Or two steps back first?

Visceral Games is making a Police themed battlefield game, I'm halfway expecting low player numbers and instanced servers aka Titanfall type setup.

14. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 19:20 born2expire

What the fuck is wrong with these people? BF3 works fine. So, how do you fuck up BF4? ... Not to mention that BF3 and BF4 are only 1 year apart. I mean, seriously...

BF3 was far from fine. Up untill BF4, BF3 had the WORST net code ever.

and they where a full 2 years apart.

13. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 19:11 RaZ0r!

Maybe they could just license id's netcode from Bethesda since apparently they can't seen to get this right. Epic's netcode might be alright too, but not from the original Unreal...  

12. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 18:42 HorrorScope

The only question now is when BF5 is released, will they be starting here and moving forward? Or two steps back first?  

11. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 18:39 Steele Johnson

10. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 18:37 Techie714 ©

nin wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 18:25:
Cutter wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 18:24:
nin wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 18:12:
"Come back, baby!"

"Rock and roll never forgets!"

lol

You're both showing your age old men.....lol

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

9. Re: DICE Addressing BF Mar 3, 2014, 18:29 LittleMe

What the fuck is wrong with these people? BF3 works fine.

It does? I'd died when already behind cover in BF3 many times. Not in BF2 or 1942.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo