Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

3D Realms Acquisition Details

We have the follow-up to the surprising news from yesterday about the acquisition of Apogee/3D Realms. The official press release clarifies that the purchaser is in fact SDN Invest, a Danish investment firm behind Interceptor Entertainment (the initial reports said Interceptor was the buyer), and also clarifies that the acquisition includes Apogee Software, Ltd d/b/a 3D Realms, but not Apogee Software, LLC (which remains as unconfusing as the names of George Foreman's sons).

Danish investment firm, SDN Invest, has acquired Apogee Software, Ltd d/b/a 3D Realms (not to be confused with Apogee Software, LLC - publishers of Rise of the Triad) SDN Invest is part-owner and principal investor in Denmark-based game studio and Rise of the Triad developer, Interceptor Entertainment. Effective immediately, the new CEO of 3D Realms will be Mike Nielsen. Mr. Nielsen also serves as Chairman of the Board at Interceptor.

SDN Invest was founded by Nielsen when he stepped down as CEO of Coolshop.com - a leading online retailer in Northern Europe that he co-founded in 2002 - to focus on investing in companies with potential.

“3D Realms is legendary for its contributions to the gaming industry, as both the pioneer of the shareware model and an always generous partner who has provided both funding and guidance to game studios such as id Software, Parallax Software, Remedy Entertainment, and many others," remarked Nielsen, the newly appointed CEO. "3D Realms has also developed, co-developed, and co-financed such hits as Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein 3D, Rise of the Triad, Raptor, Shadow Warrior and Prey. There are only a handful of independent studios with a better track record of original games. Yet even with this stellar track record, we hope we can take the company to new heights."

“3D Realms has always been a defining part the PC games industry.” Added Frederik Schreiber, CEO of Interceptor Entertainment. “Getting 3D Realms under our wings is a huge step for us and we are extremely excited about the acquisition.”

Scott Miller, co-founder of 3D Realms concluded, “My long time partner George Broussard and I are extremely proud of our past, especially as developers who always tried to partner with up-and-coming studios who just needed their break. Our history shows we did that throughout the 1990s & 2000s, and I expect the new 3D Realms to continue with this tradition in full force. Our industry needs more good guys, who honor the profession and fellow hard-working developers."

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 5, 2014, 01:21 HorrorScope

InBlack wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 04:24:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 19:32:
Hellbinder wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 13:08:
You guys are fucking idiots. Every fucking day every single topic endless reams of ignorant mindless shit talking.

If you are going to talk shit then at least take a few seconds google some information so have some fucking idea what the hell you are popping off about.

I recall the last conversation I had the pleasure with you. We found out you were wrong and it was backed by links to prove it. Lot of Irony in those vitamins.

Nothing you say will ever convince him of that fact. In his mind he will always be right, and you will always be wrong. There is no getting past that, it comes with the territory. Its for that same reason that he continues to believe that Bluesnewsers are worshipers of the Devil and that only Hellbinder's version of the truth, is Truth.

I'm guilty of being a hopeless trier.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 4, 2014, 16:22 killer_roach

KilrathiAce wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 22:34:
I hope they didnt pay much for that garbage

Based on the writeup, I doubt they paid much at all (my personal guess is the whole thing might have been done in the mid-six-figure range...). Especially since Apogee LLC wasn't included in that - that's the larger accumulation of IP that could be snapped up. From the looks of things, they bought a name and that's about it.

23. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 4, 2014, 04:24 InBlack

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 19:32:
You guys are fucking idiots. Every fucking day every single topic endless reams of ignorant mindless shit talking.

If you are going to talk shit then at least take a few seconds google some information so have some fucking idea what the hell you are popping off about.

I recall the last conversation I had the pleasure with you. We found out you were wrong and it was backed by links to prove it. Lot of Irony in those vitamins.

Nothing you say will ever convince him of that fact. In his mind he will always be right, and you will always be wrong. There is no getting past that, it comes with the territory. Its for that same reason that he continues to believe that Bluesnewsers are worshipers of the Devil and that only Hellbinder's version of the truth, is Truth.

I have a nifty blue line!

22. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 3, 2014, 22:34 KilrathiAce

I hope they didnt pay much for that garbage  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

21. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 3, 2014, 19:32 HorrorScope

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2014, 17:50 Rigs

MajorD wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 17:34:
nin wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 13:24:

Sounds like you're speaking of yourself:

<insert vulgar poddy mouth opening statement or one liner>

<insert moronic slam that is half baked and most likely false and due to the ignorance of the poster>

Classic case of hypocrisy.

I just want to know......who pissed in his Wheaties this morning?

Ah, another day on the Bluesnews boards...

*puts feet up and continues to read*

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

19. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 3, 2014, 17:34 MajorD

nin wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 13:24:

<insert moronic slam that is half baked and most likely false and due to the ignorance of the poster>

Classic case of hypocrisy.

I just want to know......who pissed in his Wheaties this morning?

18. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 3, 2014, 14:43 Thunder3D

Yes, I am well aware of "Terminal Reality" company closed. But before that, original developers in forums said, that in their minds it was a ongoing thing, to make a great proper sequel to this cult piece - game "Terminal Velocity". There is always a hope.  

17. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 3, 2014, 13:24 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

16. removed Mar 3, 2014, 13:08 Hellbinder

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 3, 2014, 15:07.

The Whales name is Bob.

15. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 3, 2014, 12:08 Mad Max RW

Thunder3D wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 11:07:
Oh, I know main reason for such acquisition: somebody -finally- decided to kick those game makers from "Terminal Reality" to -finally- make a new sci-fi aerial combat master piece, sequel/remake/reboot "Terminal Velocity"! They published it under "3D Realms" back in 1995, and there is nothing better than "Terminal Velocity" in that genre ever since. Well, it is about time now!

Terminal Reality closed last year.

14. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 3, 2014, 11:44 Creston

“3D Realms is legendary for its contributions to the gaming industry being the biggest laughing stock in gaming for a solid decade+, as well as being the creation of the gaming industry's biggest fucking douchebag."  

13. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 3, 2014, 11:36 Parallax Abstraction

Few other than George Broussard can run a company in so legendarily inept a fashion, crashing it to the ground after spending 13 years making one of the worst AAA games in recent memory and still fall backwards into fortune by having it bought in the end. And he still thinks he's some game industry messiah if you read his Twitter. Amazing how often those who most deserve to fail just keep on succeeding.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

12. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 3, 2014, 11:23 Drazula

There was a time when 3DR was pretty special... sad.  

11. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 3, 2014, 11:17 Beamer

InBlack wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 11:00:
Trevellian wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 10:55:
“3D Realms is legendary for its contributions to the gaming industry, as both the pioneer of the shareware model and an always generous partner who has provided both funding and guidance to game studios such as id Software

Uhm... seriously? Hate to break it to them but as far as big budget titles Apogee and ID Software were the real big pioneers of Shareware from what I remember. Not 3D Realms.

I also don't recall id Software ever once needing "funding and guidance" from 3D Realms, or any of the other number of names they dropped.

Who are these people and what delusional world are they living in?

Not to worry. Im reasonably sure someone (Beamer?) will drop any minute into the thread and explain to us mere mortals the merits of buying an empty shell of a developer for PR, marketing, and valuation purposes.

3DR has next to no value but was likely bought for next to no dollars.

However, the guy you quoted isn't wrong for that, he's wrong for not understanding that Apogee and 3D Realms are the same damn thing. Apogee owned 3DR and, after a few years, just changed its name to 3DR. So yes, id needed Apogee, and since Apogee became 3DR, id needed 3DR.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 3, 2014, 11:17 NewMaxx

If the Twitter name "@N" is valued at $50,000, anything is possible.  

9. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 3, 2014, 11:09 Kajetan

InBlack wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 11:00:
Not to worry. Im reasonably sure someone (Beamer?) will drop any minute into the thread and explain to us mere mortals the merits of buying an empty shell of a developer for PR, marketing, and valuation purposes.
It has a merit IF the name of the shell still has some value and positive brand recognition left. But, Apogee, 3DRealms ... positive? Not after DNF, not anymore!

8. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 3, 2014, 11:07 Thunder3D

Oh, I know main reason for such acquisition: somebody -finally- decided to kick those game makers from "Terminal Reality" to -finally- make a new sci-fi aerial combat master piece, sequel/remake/reboot "Terminal Velocity"! They published it under "3D Realms" back in 1995, and there is nothing better than "Terminal Velocity" in that genre ever since. Well, it is about time now!  

7. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 3, 2014, 11:00 InBlack

Trevellian wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 10:55:
“3D Realms is legendary for its contributions to the gaming industry, as both the pioneer of the shareware model and an always generous partner who has provided both funding and guidance to game studios such as id Software

Uhm... seriously? Hate to break it to them but as far as big budget titles Apogee and ID Software were the real big pioneers of Shareware from what I remember. Not 3D Realms.

I also don't recall id Software ever once needing "funding and guidance" from 3D Realms, or any of the other number of names they dropped.

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: 3D Realms Acquisition Details Mar 3, 2014, 10:55 Trevellian

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo