Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's accounting of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for last week:

1. Banished
  2. DayZ
  3. THIEF
  4. South Park: The Stick of Truth
  5. Rust
  6. Planetary Annihilation
  7. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  8. NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 3 FULL BURST
  9. RPG Maker VX Ace
  10. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

6. Re: Thief (Review) Mar 2, 2014, 14:41 nin

Kajetan wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 14:40:
Tonto Edge wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 14:37:
It's not the Thief we want. But the Thief we deserve.
We deserve crap?

LOL

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Thief (Review) Mar 2, 2014, 14:40 Kajetan

Tanto Edge wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 14:37:
We deserve crap?

4. Re: Thief (Review) Mar 2, 2014, 14:37 Tanto Edge

MajorD wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 14:09:
...most likely it will be a major let down for the all true fans of the original two.

Speak for yourself.

Everything you said was accurate; I just wanted to state, that despite all these, I thought they did create a good game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

3. Re: Thief (Review) Mar 2, 2014, 14:15 nin

Some were interested in some reviews from Blue's Newsers, so here you go.

Thank you!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Thief (Review) Mar 2, 2014, 14:09 MajorD

Speaking of Thief. Some were interested in some reviews from Blue's Newsers, so here you go.

• Seeing your own character animations when you look down, mantling, sneaking, peering, climbing, etc. gives a more sense of immersion.

• Character textures and animations are really nice.

• Map/Level designs are nice, even though they're so small.

• Player stats at the end of each level is nice.

• The broad range of UI settings is nice, but at the end of the day it is just parsley on the dinner plate with the game lacking in so many different ways.

• Dislikes:

• PISS POOR optimization. I am no game engine expert here, so can someone explain to me why I can play other games that use the Unreal 2.5 and 3.0 Engines, with even better textures/graphics, run all settings at their max, and play silky smooth? The game obviously wasn’t going to be optimized in time of the scheduled release date, which is why the system requirements were much higher than we all expected them to be or should have been.

• No manual jumping is downright lame! The developer and fan boys can spin it, slice it, and sell it any way they want, but no manual jumping is downright absurd and lazy development.

• The opening/training level was really bad and gimmicky.

• I couldn’t even fall off and/or intentionally jump off any beams or catwalks if I tried. Seriously?

Poor QA resulting in bad continuity: Some of the cut scenes were in higher resolutions than some of the others. I’ll have to go back and look, but I believe some or all of the early cut scenes Garret’s eyes were both the same color, but later on in the game (after the opening/training level), one eye was green (mechanical?) and the other was brown.

Erin was/is annoying.

• Too many cut scenes/QTEs. Just when I start getting immersed into the game, it is broken by a cut scene/QTE. Good God, they said they removed QTEs? I'd hate to see what the game would have been like if they hadn't.

• Not being able to read something on the fly when I pick it up and having to hit F1 for my journal and cycle through the menu to read what I just picked up is a serious immersion breaker. The player should be able to read what they pick up right there on the fly, and then go to journal later to read it again if need be.

• The maps in each level seemed to be broken up into small sections that are interconnected via loading screens that breaks the continuity. Good god, this is 2014! I just remember playing Thief Gold and wandering around in these levels that seemed to go on forever, and that ran on the Dark Engine developed in 1998. I don’t know, the map sizes just seem to be a step backwards in size comparison.

• Most NPCs throughout the game just seem like set pieces that you can’t even interact with to give ‘some’ sense of immersion.

• Key bindings for KB & M suffer from consolitis and not very well thought out.

• Overall thoughts:

I went into this game with an open mind, I really did, but when all these different annoyances reared their ugly heads throughout the game play, it was hard not to be disappointed.

There are some really good things and some really bad things with this latest release of Thief. The game had a lot of potential, but the game didn’t reach the full potential that it could have due to bad development decisions, lazy design, poor game optimization, and too much artistic license. Overall, I'm not very impressed with the development team.

This game is just ‘okay’ on its own, but most likely it will be a major let down for the all true fans of the original two.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2014, 10:44.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 13:18 netnerd85

Good to see Banished on the list. Sad to see Thief so low considering. And good to see Black Flag up there, my personal GOTY 2013 that one, DmC Devil May Cry held on all year (as my PGOTY) until I played Black Flag.  

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo