Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's accounting of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for last week:

1. Banished
  2. DayZ
  3. THIEF
  4. South Park: The Stick of Truth
  5. Rust
  6. Planetary Annihilation
  7. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  8. NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 3 FULL BURST
  9. RPG Maker VX Ace
  10. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 18:51 Cutter

Jerykk wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 18:06:
Thief is not as bad as everyone seems to suggest.

What do you mean "seems"? And yes, yes it is. The only thing I give it a positive nod for is the artwork. The look of the city is right. Everything else? No.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 18:20 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 16:51:
I didn't pay, well not directly in any case. It was part of the AMD promotion when I bough my new card a few months back. Got Thief, Sniper 2, Hitman Derpsolution - which I gave to Bats, and Saints Row IV. Out of which SR4 was the only semi-enjoyable one. I sure as hell wouldn't have bought any of those games - except SR4.

Always the best way to get a game.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 18:06 Jerykk

Thief is not as bad as everyone seems to suggest. If you enjoy stealth games in general (and not just the first two games in the Thief series), you will likely find something to enjoy. The levels are definitely more linear than in the previous games, but they are still pretty big and have lots of branching paths. Splinter Cell would be most comparable here. There is also tons of loot to steal and secrets to find (and getting 100% of both is still tough). There is great satisfaction to be gained from stealing every piece of loot while leaving every NPC oblivious and untouched.

The traversal system is a bit annoying, though you can get used to it. They didn't implement it very well, as the rules aren't consistent. Sometimes you can walk off ledges, sometimes you can't. Sometimes you can jump across a gap, sometimes you can't. If they had made it more like AC's system, it would have worked a lot better. The map is also pretty worthless in the city hub, as it doesn't show you the route you need to take to get to your destination. You basically just have to learn the layout of the hub.

Based on 8 hours of gameplay (doing main story missions, side missions and general hub exploration), I'd probably give the game a 7.5. It's not the best Thief game nor the best stealth game, but it's pretty solid and entertaining in and of itself.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2014, 18:13.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 17:46 ForgedReality

I've come to start treating new games that have over-the-top press leading up to release as if they don't even exist. It's been proven to me, time and time again, that the harder a distributor pumps up the hype, the less likely the game is to be able to survive based on its own merits. I've stopped letting myself get sucked into that shit because it always ends up in disappointment. As far as I'm concerned, this game doesn't even matter. The bullshit press prior to release would have you believe it was the best thing since dick met pussy. Totally untrue, we come to find out.

I'm so glad they weren't able to secure the original voice actor for Garrett, because it would be a shame to have such raw talent go to waste, and to have this bag of failure hanging around to spoil his resume.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 17:43 nin

Creston wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 17:39:
Thanks for the Thief reviews, guys.

I was already going to wait until it was 5 bucks, I think maybe now I won't even bother.

I'll grab it for $5-$10, but no more than that. Certainly glad I didn't grab it @ $35 or so it was on gamefly, a couple of days before release.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 17:39 Creston

Thanks for the Thief reviews, guys.

I was already going to wait until it was 5 bucks, I think maybe now I won't even bother.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 17:34 SpectralMeat

Bansihed seem to be doing really well, considering it came out of nowhere, no hype and not a big triple A game.
Good for the dev.

Steam: SpectralMeat

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 17:08 Quinn

I'll copy-paste an earlier little review I wrote if that's ok. I wrote it in a thread that was already on page 2 when I did so most probably missed it.

Let me add to the review below, however, that now that I'm about 20 hours and only in chapter 5 I've realized Thief's biggest flaw: the city hub between missions. It's TEDIOUS. The hub is cut into sections, and it's not really clear which windows pull you into a loading screen to a next section or not. Despite the beautiful looks and atmosphere, the city hub is pretty dead. That said, the game's strength is in the actual missions, which are very well done and just feel very true to the franchise.

------

Eight hours in. My thoughts:

First of all, it's a good game and I can't wait to get back in it after work. Now that that's of my chest, I'll start with my first gripes:

1. No manual jumping is retarded. I often feel like a guy in a wheelchair. Also, I sometimes think I can make a jump.. ends up garrett isn't even trying so he runs right of a roof and into death. Iron Man difficulty is only for the mentally challenged. Yes, you're a complete moron if you choose that difficulty.
2. I have all my tools bought early into the game even with Expensive Resources on as a difficulty mod. Now my only motivation left to steal is for Rope Arrows (600 gold a piece! You make about 1200 gold a mission! Fuck me!) and achievements.
3. The houses you enter in the city hub are completely VACANT of life! This is maybe the worst part of the game. Once I realized the constant, I ended up running around inside homes plundering them like I had go catch a train. This is immersion breaking, not fun, and it completely destroys the will to explore the city hub.

Possitive parts:

1. Stealth. It works. It's hard on Master Difficulty because once you're in sight only a quick reflex swoop can keep you from being detected and even then it remains difficult. When your darkness gem is at its darkest, enemies still spot you unless they're at least 10 meters away. Good stuff!
2. Pickpocketing and lockpicking is fun. Looting is fun. For now, even just looting for a good end-mission stat is just fun. Most importantly: finding collectables gives you a fiendish glitter in the eye.
3. Graphics, man! They are good! The atmosphere is just epic and so tre to the former Thief games! I'm a Dishonored hater but if that game had this personality (instead of none) my opinion would make a 180.
4. Level design. I'm intimidated by all the different paths in every section of a mission. I keep backtracking and taking new roots to make sure I didn't miss any loot and collectables.

Overall, the game is good and the negative reviews piss me off. The dev don't deserve this bad press from bitter old men. Not just because the game is objectively good in many of its ways, but because it kept surprisingly true to its predecessors! When I walk The City, old memories pop up from a frenchise I thought had nothing to do with this reboot.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 16:57 Cutter

Task wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 16:26:
My one hope is that Eidos/Square somehow learn from the mediocre-ness of Thief 4 and force all their devs and designs to SIT down and play the originals, 'specially when it comes to more open-discovery orientated level design and story-telling. That is, if there is to be a Thief 5 at all, otherwise I assume they are working on Deus Ex.

Otherwise, what is gaming to become, more hand-handling and console-ization in PC format? And I can't be the only one that finds the inclusion of forced swearing with the f and s word in Thief 4 rather silly (yeah one 'minor' thing) - why is it there, seriously?

They don't care about any of that because the console is their main focus. The only reason they port these at all is because they figure they'll sell enough that it's easy money regardless. Console gamers would never enjoy games like the original Thief games. Too much work, things not clearly laid/spelled out for them, the possibility of making mistakes and failing. These are things they don't care for. It's why all their games are so very linear and have autoaim and nothing that requires any thought. It's fluff for the reality TV crowd.

The only way you'd ever see a good Thief game again is if the old Looking Glass crew got back together - somehow magically got the rights to do it - and crowdfunded it. And we all know that's never going to happen. It's over Johnny. It's over!

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 16:51 Cutter

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 15:47:
Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 15:21:
Well, I'm guessing I'm 3/4 through Thief atm. I dropped it like a hot potato the moment Dragonfall released.

Yeah, so that's what I think of Thief. Believe me, you're not missing anything special. If you go more than $10 on it you'll kick yourself for it. I'd honestly wait for it to hit $5 - and that likely won't be too long in any case.

I'd love to grab SP but they're high on the marijuana cigarettes if they think I'm going to pay $60 or anywhere close to that.

It dreadfully begs the question then of "What did you pay?". I was much more open-minded then you were prior to release, then you end up with it, I don't (yet) and then you say you would pay more than $5-$10. Confused.

I didn't pay, well not directly in any case. It was part of the AMD promotion when I bough my new card a few months back. Got Thief, Sniper 2, Hitman Derpsolution - which I gave to Bats, and Saints Row IV. Out of which SR4 was the only semi-enjoyable one. I sure as hell wouldn't have bought any of those games - except SR4.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 16:26 Task

My one hope is that Eidos/Square somehow learn from the mediocre-ness of Thief 4 and force all their devs and designs to SIT down and play the originals, 'specially when it comes to more open-discovery orientated level design and story-telling. That is, if there is to be a Thief 5 at all, otherwise I assume they are working on Deus Ex.

Otherwise, what is gaming to become, more hand-handling and console-ization in PC format? And I can't be the only one that finds the inclusion of forced swearing with the f and s word in Thief 4 rather silly (yeah one 'minor' thing) - why is it there, seriously?

14. Re: Thief (Review) Mar 2, 2014, 16:18 Ray Marden

I would give the game a 6/10. If you're a big fan of the developer or new to stealth games, I could see giving it a 7/10. If you compare it to the first two games and what LGS did at the time, it's a 5/10.

It just doesn't hold up well against the original games, used the advances in technology rather poorly (we end up with more of the limitations than advancements in current games,) and it isn't particularly fun to play, or at least you no longer have a sense of living in a world with rules rather than being confined with limitation after limitation.

The game basically uses old tech with next-gen post-processing effects, but it's a testament to the closed, confined design of current console games and it's not hard to spot the long, tortured development process for this game. On its own, it's a bit average to mediocre - for any one good thing, there is at least one countering bad thing, if not two. There are moments you can see where is was trying to be something bigger, but the numerous limitations/constraints/loading screens quickly make sure the game never steps out of that mediocrity. It is a generic game that, when looked at as a Thief game, really is a significant letdown that lacks cohesion or any grand scope.
The next Thief game, this aint.
Wondering how many times one game can make me hit the damn "E" button,
Ray

Edit: Updating of second sentence.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2014, 13:12.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 16:05 dj LiTh

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 14:55:
netnerd85 wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 13:18:
Good to see Banished on the list. Sad to see Thief so low considering. And good to see Black Flag up there, my personal GOTY 2013 that one, DmC Devil May Cry held on all year (as my PGOTY) until I played Black Flag.

Banished is nothing but a soulless broken sandbox with massive bugs... I had hoped it to be so much more, but after year 25 I ask myself, wtf I am playing this for, what's the goal? There is no goal, no progression, no point. And the hoarding bug still isn't fixed. Wtf need 4 people in a house 2000 units of firewood and 1500 units fish for. When the entire rest starves? Sigh...

Interesting, i havent ran into those bugs you described at all in my play thoughs. It is a bit souless and does lack direction, but i'm having a great time with the journey even with out a destination (such is life)

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 15:47 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 15:21:
Well, I'm guessing I'm 3/4 through Thief atm. I dropped it like a hot potato the moment Dragonfall released.

Yeah, so that's what I think of Thief. Believe me, you're not missing anything special. If you go more than $10 on it you'll kick yourself for it. I'd honestly wait for it to hit $5 - and that likely won't be too long in any case.

I'd love to grab SP but they're high on the marijuana cigarettes if they think I'm going to pay $60 or anywhere close to that.

It dreadfully begs the question then of "What did you pay?". I was much more open-minded then you were prior to release, then you end up with it, I don't (yet) and then you say you would pay more than $5-$10. Confused.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 15:25 xXBatmanXx

Now I'll be moving onto Metro Last Light.

Have you tweaked it yet? Looks like crap on my rig - and it shouldn't. FOV is terrible and maybe its the refresh rate that is messed up. Was going to mess with it a bit and try again....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 15:21 Cutter

And Dragonfall is damn good! It's what SR should have been originally. The story, pacing, iteration, conclusion were all exceedingly well done. Granted the game is still CRPG-lite this is a hell of improvement over the original campaign. If they can deliver more DLC of this caliber, along with continued improvements, I'll gladly buy it.

Now I'll be moving onto Metro Last Light. And after that I'll go back to Thief...unless something better comes along. Yeah, so that's what I think of Thief. Believe me, you're not missing anything special. If you go more than $10 on it you'll kick yourself for it. I'd honestly wait for it to hit $5 - and that likely won't be too long in any case.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 14:55 eRe4s3r

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 13:18:
Good to see Banished on the list. Sad to see Thief so low considering. And good to see Black Flag up there, my personal GOTY 2013 that one, DmC Devil May Cry held on all year (as my PGOTY) until I played Black Flag.

Banished is nothing but a soulless broken sandbox with massive bugs... I had hoped it to be so much more, but after year 25 I ask myself, wtf I am playing this for, what's the goal? There is no goal, no progression, no point. And the hoarding bug still isn't fixed. Wtf need 4 people in a house 2000 units of firewood and 1500 units fish for. When the entire rest starves? Sigh...

8. Re: Thief (Review) Mar 2, 2014, 14:54 HorrorScope

Kajetan wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 14:40:
Tanto Edge wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 14:37:
It's not the Thief we want. But the Thief we deserve.
We deserve crap?

Probably, but we still ask for more.

7. Re: Thief (Review) Mar 2, 2014, 14:46 MajorD

Tanto Edge wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 14:37:
MajorD wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 14:09:
...most likely it will be a major let down for the all true fans of the original two.

Speak for yourself.

That is why I used the words 'most likely'. Not definite, not for sure, but possibly or probably (most likely).

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo