Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's accounting of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for last week:

1. Banished
  2. DayZ
  3. THIEF
  4. South Park: The Stick of Truth
  5. Rust
  6. Planetary Annihilation
  7. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  8. NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 3 FULL BURST
  9. RPG Maker VX Ace
  10. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 01:55 harlock

Jerykk wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 23:12:
nin wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 20:38:
It's what he'd do!

Sure, if you ignore the fact that I bought the game. I have to assume you have me on your block filter or something, otherwise you wouldn't be spewing the same drivel you were spewing five years ago.

of course he does.. hes a chickenshit that cant handle anyone challenging him, so he just talks a bunch of shit and then hides behind the ignore function

childish and pitiful

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 01:42 Cutter

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 01:16:
3) Setting, colonial setting is uninspired, that's not a negative, it's just a "boring setting" ;p

Colonization ftw! No, I think it's like people have been saying, it's just a survival simulator. There's nothing to aspire to beyond survival. He should have made the game more of a 'How the West Was Won' type game.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 01:30 Jerykk

You can press x to drop from any ledge, you may have fall damage, I guess it stops you so you dont do this. I disagree that a system like Assassin's Creed would be better. This is a first person game and I feel it works well for that.

You can manually drop from ledges and you can take fall damage. The problem is that the game isn't consistent with how these things work. Sometimes you can just walk off a ledge, other times you have to press X. Same with jumps. Sometimes you'll automatically jump when running towards a ledge, other times you'll just fall off. In AC, these things were consistent. If you ran towards a ledge, you would always jump off, even if there was nothing to jump to. And if you weren't running, you would always stop when reaching a ledge. Consistency is key. It doesn't matter if it's first-person or third-person.

I disagree again, it's great fun to explore this area, collecting bits and pieces along the way

I don't have a problem with exploration. I've spent the bulk of my time exploring the city and looking for loot. I do have a problem with the map system being worthless when you're trying to reach a specific location designated on the map. If you're going to have a map, it should be useful.

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 01:16 eRe4s3r

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 00:50:
It's funny when fans read reboot and still expect something from 10 years ago.

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 14:55:
Banished is nothing but a soulless broken sandbox with massive bugs... I had hoped it to be so much more, but after year 25 I ask myself, wtf I am playing this for, what's the goal? There is no goal, no progression, no point. And the hoarding bug still isn't fixed. Wtf need 4 people in a house 2000 units of firewood and 1500 units fish for. When the entire rest starves? Sigh...
I know it had a good testing period and was delayed. There is ONE developer for the entire game, give him more than 24 hours to fix the post release bugs for fuck sake

1 dev huh, didn't know that. But he asked for money just the same. Fact is that bug happened to most people I talked to so far. Not everywhere, not on every map, but the AI in general should not be having any bugs considering that's the (only) point of the entire game.

And when you want to read it, I can list you some reasons (actual reasons, not bugs) why I think Banished is a really bad city builder.

1) Progression, Wood house to Stone house... that's it. All houses can be built from the start. There is literally no reason to ever build anything else but a stone house too. Buildings don't develop or advance by use or by being worked in.

2) Information is opaque or.. the "Sword of the Stars 2 problem" why aren't optimal worker ratios displayed for the area a building sits in? Why isn't vital game information shown by default (like why would you ever play without hitting F1, F2, F3 at the start?). Do fisheries work in winter? Do they have an efficiency malus? We will never know

3) Setting, colonial setting is uninspired, that's not a negative, it's just a "boring setting" ;p

4) Food mechanic completely borked. Who stores fish in a house during summer? What's the difference between mutton and beef? Why would I ever want cows when hunters produce leather and sheep produce wool (which leads to the highest tier winter protection, and thus the only thing we need). Why I can't I plant certain crops twice a year?

Well anyway, Anno 2070 or Tropico or even Sim City Societies do things better

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 01:04 netnerd85

Jerykk wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 18:06:
Thief is not as bad as everyone seems to suggest. If you enjoy stealth games in general (and not just the first two games in the Thief series), you will likely find something to enjoy. The levels are definitely more linear than in the previous games, but they are still pretty big and have lots of branching paths. Splinter Cell would be most comparable here. There is also tons of loot to steal and secrets to find (and getting 100% of both is still tough). There is great satisfaction to be gained from stealing every piece of loot while leaving every NPC oblivious and untouched.

The traversal system is a bit annoying, though you can get used to it. They didn't implement it very well, as the rules aren't consistent. Sometimes you can walk off ledges, sometimes you can't. Sometimes you can jump across a gap, sometimes you can't. If they had made it more like AC's system, it would have worked a lot better.
You can press x to drop from any ledge, you may have fall damage, I guess it stops you so you dont do this. I disagree that a system like Assassin's Creed would be better. This is a first person game and I feel it works well for that.

The map is also pretty worthless in the city hub, as it doesn't show you the route you need to take to get to your destination. You basically just have to learn the layout of the hub.
I disagree again, it's great fun to explore this area, collecting bits and pieces along the way

Based on 8 hours of gameplay (doing main story missions, side missions and general hub exploration), I'd probably give the game a 7.5. It's not the best Thief game nor the best stealth game, but it's pretty solid and entertaining in and of itself.
I'd give it an 8.5, having lots of fun with it. There is something about the atmospere and level design that really takes me back to playing games of the late 90's early 2000's. Not that it is old school but the sense of excitement is the same. Difficult to explain but a well welcomed feeling.

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 00:51 eRe4s3r

dj LiTh wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 16:05:
netnerd85 wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 13:18:
Good to see Banished on the list. Sad to see Thief so low considering. And good to see Black Flag up there, my personal GOTY 2013 that one, DmC Devil May Cry held on all year (as my PGOTY) until I played Black Flag.

Banished is nothing but a soulless broken sandbox with massive bugs... I had hoped it to be so much more, but after year 25 I ask myself, wtf I am playing this for, what's the goal? There is no goal, no progression, no point. And the hoarding bug still isn't fixed. Wtf need 4 people in a house 2000 units of firewood and 1500 units fish for. When the entire rest starves? Sigh...

Interesting, i havent ran into those bugs you described at all in my play thoughs. It is a bit souless and does lack direction, but i'm having a great time with the journey even with out a destination (such is life)

Apparently this bug is map-seed related ~.~ But it happened on my first play completely ruined the game for me. Also, order houses to be scrapped but don't assign builders = nobody ever dies despite camping outside in winter. They do die though, of old age and cold, when you let them in a new house....

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 00:50 netnerd85

It's funny when fans read reboot and still expect something from 10 years ago.

I know it had a good testing period and was delayed. There is ONE developer for the entire game, give him more than 24 hours to fix the post release bugs for fuck sake

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2014, 00:57.

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 00:12 jacobvandy

Rattlehead wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 21:51:
Everytime I see someone parrot "consolitis" I want to punch a kitten. It makes no sense at all. -itis means inflammation, so what exactly does consolitis mean? Inflammation of the console? Is the console swollen? Sensitive to touch? Is it displaying any signs of pain?

That may be the technical/medical definition, but the rest of civilization has been using it to mean simply 'disease' for eons. The specific alternate definition of using it to denote imaginary afflictions can be found in any dictionary you read. Consolitis specifically is a widely-used term these days, so you really have no say in the matter. You saying that is basically like someone saying that every time they see someone write 'everytime' without a space makes them want to fly off the handle. Chill out, meng...

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 23:12 Jerykk

nin wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 20:38:
Kosumo wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 20:32:
Thief is not as bad as everyone seems to suggest. If you enjoy stealth games in general (and not just the first two games in the Thief series), you will likely find something to enjoy. The levels are definitely more linear than in the previous games, but they are still pretty big and have lots of branching paths. Splinter Cell would be most comparable here. There is also tons of loot to steal and secrets to find (and getting 100% of both is still tough). There is great satisfaction to be gained from stealing every piece of loot while leaving every NPC oblivious and untouched.

The traversal system is a bit annoying, though you can get used to it. They didn't implement it very well, as the rules aren't consistent. Sometimes you can walk off ledges, sometimes you can't. Sometimes you can jump across a gap, sometimes you can't. If they had made it more like AC's system, it would have worked a lot better. The map is also pretty worthless in the city hub, as it doesn't show you the route you need to take to get to your destination. You basically just have to learn the layout of the hub.

Based on 8 hours of gameplay (doing main story missions, side missions and general hub exploration), I'd probably give the game a 7.5. It's not the best Thief game nor the best stealth game, but it's pretty solid and entertaining in and of itself.

So worth a pirate then? Pirate d/l 4life

It's what he'd do!

Sure, if you ignore the fact that I bought the game. I have to assume you have me on your block filter or something, otherwise you wouldn't be spewing the same drivel you were spewing five years ago.

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 22:06 Nighthawk

Quinn wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 17:08:
2. I have all my tools bought early into the game even with Expensive Resources on as a difficulty mod. Now my only motivation left to steal is for Rope Arrows (600 gold a piece! You make about 1200 gold a mission! Fuck me!) and achievements.

Buy your rope arrows from the guy in Sirens Rest at the docks. They are only 11 gold.

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 21:51 Rattlehead

Everytime I see someone parrot "consolitis" I want to punch a kitten. It makes no sense at all. -itis means inflammation, so what exactly does consolitis mean? Inflammation of the console? Is the console swollen? Sensitive to touch? Is it displaying any signs of pain?  

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 20:38 nin

Kosumo wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 20:32:

The traversal system is a bit annoying, though you can get used to it. They didn't implement it very well, as the rules aren't consistent. Sometimes you can walk off ledges, sometimes you can't. Sometimes you can jump across a gap, sometimes you can't. If they had made it more like AC's system, it would have worked a lot better. The map is also pretty worthless in the city hub, as it doesn't show you the route you need to take to get to your destination. You basically just have to learn the layout of the hub.

It's what he'd do!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 20:32 Kosumo

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 20:16 Redmask

jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 20:10:
Redmask wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 19:37:
I don't love new Thief but it's not awful either. I think its frustrating mainly because its just a few changes away from being a great Thief game.

Think modders could "fix" it?

Not without a full SDK and level editor.

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 20:15 Linksil

mag wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 19:51:
the rules aren't consistent. Sometimes you can walk off ledges, sometimes you can't. Sometimes you can jump across a gap, sometimes you can't.

This is pretty unforgivable for me, and represents the worst part of any context-sensitive cover system or press-A-to-do-cool-stuff system. I can never get used to a game that seems to have completely arbitrary rules for how your character interacts with the environment.

This and that fact that you have to swoop into get every piece of loot. I've never had a problem with motion sickness in a game before, but I'm pretty sure my headaches after playing a few hours (can't get through more then that even if I want to) are from the framing/movement of the game. Resolution switches mid game do not help either. Also I really didn't get the whole reviewers grip about windows shutting behind you, until I played it and realized I had to go through a 25 second QTE because I just went through it and realized I went the wrong way or missed something. Opening a door/window should expand your world, not make it closed/more annoying.

Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 20:10 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 19:37:
I don't love new Thief but it's not awful either. I think its frustrating mainly because its just a few changes away from being a great Thief game.

Think modders could "fix" it?

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 19:51 mag

the rules aren't consistent. Sometimes you can walk off ledges, sometimes you can't. Sometimes you can jump across a gap, sometimes you can't.

This is pretty unforgivable for me, and represents the worst part of any context-sensitive cover system or press-A-to-do-cool-stuff system. I can never get used to a game that seems to have completely arbitrary rules for how your character interacts with the environment.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 19:43 Quboid

Thanks for the reviews MajorD and again Quinn (I saw your review before but threads can very quickly die off on here and I'm not sure the first outing got the audience it deserved either).

I'll probably pick Thief up when it's heavily discounted. I'm not sure why we'd deserve it except that, as a whole, the market does seem to favour games that are, to put it nicely, streamlined. I wouldn't say that means people on here deserve it.

I was delighted when I heard that a good indie city builder had been released but I'm not impressed by the footage I've seen of Banished. It doesn't appear to have the sort of creative freedom that I want from a city builder, just a full time chore. I've put a lot of hours into Simcity 4 recently, that'll probably do me.

I'm surprised that you've had problems with Metro: Last Light, Batman. It's certainly something that will tax your system but as IMHO it still looks great at low settings, that's a sign that it's built to last rather than that it's not optimised. Aside from this, I thought it was the best pure FPS in years and a great engine. Tweaking settings and running benchmarks reminded me of squeezing every last frame out of Quake. Once I got a second Geforce 660 and could turn on higher settings, a scene in (yet another) underground hall with a big waterwheel just took my breath away. The mist playing through the wheel's spokes, lit with perfect rays shining through the gaps - I haven't been impressed by graphics like I was then for quite some time.

Disappointed to see Ray, usually so balanced, use a cheap loaded word like apologist,
Q

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2014, 19:50.

- Quboid

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 19:37 Redmask

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2014, 19:25 mlw

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 18:51:
Thief is not as bad as everyone seems to suggest.

What do you mean "seems"? And yes, yes it is. The only thing I give it a positive nod for is the artwork. The look of the city is right. Everything else? No.

You can't tell another person whose opinion differs with yours that he is wrong. They are opinions! You spoke your opinion and he spoke his. I am playing and greatly enjoying Thief 4. That is my opinion. I am happy with my purchase.

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo