Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's accounting of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for last week:

1. Banished
  2. DayZ
  3. THIEF
  4. South Park: The Stick of Truth
  5. Rust
  6. Planetary Annihilation
  7. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  8. NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 3 FULL BURST
  9. RPG Maker VX Ace
  10. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

86. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 5, 2014, 14:53 Quinn

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 13:26:
Wishing I could play SP: TSoT on the PS4 with my wife,
Ray

Got a 10m HDMI cable from PC to TV. Wireless mouse & kb. My wife and I will be playing SP tonight! &#128515;

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

85. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2014, 13:26 Ray Marden

Listen, you son of a...just kidding.

I went back and edited the post. I'm not mad with anybody liking the game, but I worry about those that see no failures, weak points, or significant room for improvement.

Even more troubling are those that seem to be outright lying or that were completely dismissive of people's initial concerns, telling them to wait until the game was out, and then, having confirmation these items are in the state that initial concern was expressed about, immediately turning around and saying those items don't matter.

Anyway, wah wah, these are all problems of the first world. I don't think this game ever planned on being a true sequel to the first two games, but the inconsistent design issues (which I attribute to the developer and/or development hell) and acquiring the weak architecture of current-gen design (small environments, linear levels, confining gameplay, etc.) really frustrate me when playing this game.
R.I.P. Looking Glass Studios - 05/24/00.
Wishing I could play SP: TSoT on the PS4 with my wife,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

84. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2014, 11:13 Beamer

Fibrocyte wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 08:25:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 22:00:
Wow....lots going on in here....99% not about the games listed...hahahahah

/65 tards on my tard list. Lots of them banned over the years (used the script until the update, then added all of those people), lots of them no longer around, but some are still very active. oh well. My life is busy, I don't have time for some of the garbage/attitudes - they get blocked.

//17 messages in this thread are blocked - and I have no doubt I am blocked by several.....

People disagree with xXBatmanXx or don't care for his whining so they become 'tards' (classy, btw) and go on his ban list.

How do you deal with conflict IRL, cupcake?

He's a cop, so he's not used to having to deal with direct conflict IRL, haha.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

83. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2014, 09:35 Quinn

Fibrocyte wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 08:25:

/65 tards on my tard list. Lots of them banned over the years (used the script until the update, then added all of those people), lots of them no longer around, but some are still very active. oh well. My life is busy, I don't have time for some of the garbage/attitudes - they get blocked.

//17 messages in this thread are blocked - and I have no doubt I am blocked by several.....

People disagree with xXBatmanXx or don't care for his whining so they become 'tards' (classy, btw) and go on his ban list.

Now that we know he's got that many people in his "tard list", I'm sure he's antagonized himself to anyone who read it.

Btw, a reply to an earlier comment about rope arrows: Nope you can't buy them for 8 gold at the Siren's Inn or whatever it's called. You can sell them for 8 gold, though.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

82. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2014, 08:25 Fibrocyte

81. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 4, 2014, 06:34 christheshitter

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 01:04:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 18:06:
Thief is not as bad as everyone seems to suggest. If you enjoy stealth games in general (and not just the first two games in the Thief series), you will likely find something to enjoy. The levels are definitely more linear than in the previous games, but they are still pretty big and have lots of branching paths. Splinter Cell would be most comparable here. There is also tons of loot to steal and secrets to find (and getting 100% of both is still tough). There is great satisfaction to be gained from stealing every piece of loot while leaving every NPC oblivious and untouched.

The traversal system is a bit annoying, though you can get used to it. They didn't implement it very well, as the rules aren't consistent. Sometimes you can walk off ledges, sometimes you can't. Sometimes you can jump across a gap, sometimes you can't. If they had made it more like AC's system, it would have worked a lot better.
You can press x to drop from any ledge, you may have fall damage, I guess it stops you so you dont do this. I disagree that a system like Assassin's Creed would be better. This is a first person game and I feel it works well for that.

The map is also pretty worthless in the city hub, as it doesn't show you the route you need to take to get to your destination. You basically just have to learn the layout of the hub.
I disagree again, it's great fun to explore this area, collecting bits and pieces along the way

Based on 8 hours of gameplay (doing main story missions, side missions and general hub exploration), I'd probably give the game a 7.5. It's not the best Thief game nor the best stealth game, but it's pretty solid and entertaining in and of itself.
I'd give it an 8.5, having lots of fun with it. There is something about the atmospere and level design that really takes me back to playing games of the late 90's early 2000's. Not that it is old school but the sense of excitement is the same. Difficult to explain but a well welcomed feeling.

Please go and play the original Thief games first and then come with a verdict!

80. Re: Stick of truth US key Mar 4, 2014, 03:39 eRe4s3r

Flo wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 02:51:
Hi guys,
bit of an emergency. Can anyone get me a US steam key for stick of truth? The german version is censored. I will gladly pay(pal) upfront to a trusted bluesnews veteran.
Will sending a key even work this way?

You may want to look here and then forget you ever saw that link

So technically you could buy it right there... I am not giving you any guarantees though ,p Also that claims the game is not region locked. So you get a US key it's gonna be uncensored.

By the way... that's where I buy all my origin games....but I never bought a Steam game there. And I admit I am always doubtful about these things, when I say *all* I mean i bought 2 Origin games on there and it worked with no issues. But that doesn't mean there aren't issues... heheh. In case you guys ever wondered why I don't mind Origin and it's rip-off pricing, that's why..

I am just saying, there are other ways to get a US steam key than trading keys ^^

79. Re: Stick of truth US key Mar 4, 2014, 03:16 Quinn

Flo wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 02:51:
Hi guys,
bit of an emergency. Can anyone get me a US steam key for stick of truth? The german version is censored. I will gladly pay(pal) upfront to a trusted bluesnews veteran.

Flo, check www.kinguin.net.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

78. Stick of truth US key Mar 4, 2014, 02:51 Flo

Hi guys,

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

77. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 23:31 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 15:10:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 12:42:
Why is there a load-screen at every window (literally) or why are the guards so extremely retarded.... in Thief 3, if you triggered the alert state, you were pretty well on your way to a morgue unless you went full assassin and killed EVERYONE (It was actually fun playing like that, because it wasn't easy to kill every guard in the game without dieing ,p)

There aren't load screens at literally every window. Only at the windows that load other zones of the city. Most of the windows just open. The "E" mashing gets pretty tedious, though. It was tedious in the Arkham games and just as tedious here. Not sure why any designer thinks that's a good mechanic these days (or even in the past). It might be because they need to delay the window opening so that they can finish loading the room. Perhaps the mashing keeps the player busy during this process so it's less obvious..? Stupid either way. I'd rather just sit and wait for him to open the window.

As for AI, yeah, it definitely seems to have some pathing issues. Thankfully, the way I play keeps AI issues hidden since I'm not allowed to be detected and I'm not allowed to neutralize anyone. With those rules, the AI does its job well enough.

While it was hyperbole (ok, and I didn't play the game, I watched a let's play), don't you think that animation and slow button mash sequence is there to hide a loading screen? Why else would it be there, it has no gameplay reason... to me, that is like an elevator ride in mass effect 1, except you have to mash buttons for the loading bar to reach 100% (and now that I thought of that, that's how I will see every single one of these sequences in the future, wee ,p)

They are manual load-screens, haha

You're probably right. I can't think of any other reason why a designer would implement button-mashing.

76. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 22:00 xXBatmanXx

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2014, 22:27.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

75. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 21:29 Quboid

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 18:11:
I'll take some flak for the word I used, but it's such an infuriating game at a lot of times and I don't understand those that blindly defend it or dismiss the issues present in the game.

I think the nature of reboots is that there will be partisan views. By definition a reboot will change things but also by definition there will be people who have been fans for years or decades. Some of them will be delighted to get a new game, some of them will feel angry and betrayed that the formula is being messed with.

I suppose those who stick to their initial feelings (be it pessimism or optimism) because they've convinced themselves and lost sight of reality or who think they're saving face can be described as apologists. The word can have merit but it's insulting and it typically seems to mean "someone who isn't worth listening to because I disagree with them" - which is very closed minded.

"Apologist" is insulting and dismissive but I don't know what discussions you've had. Maybe that's warranted.

- Quboid

74. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 19:22 HorrorScope

Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 13:58:
Never really understood ignoring people. Seems only to highlight that they deserve special treatment. I just scroll past.

Yeah I don't ignore anyone anywhere. I either will jump in or go past it, but this is all bar conversation stuff and not to be taken to seriously, at least between us. I don't hold grudges, sometimes I wish I hadn't posted something, but it happens. Everyone has their moments good and bad.

73. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 18:11 Ray Marden

I'll take some flak for the word I used, but it's such an infuriating game at a lot of times and I don't understand those that blindly defend it or dismiss the issues present in the game.

I bought it, I'm playing it, I'll beat it, it's functional...but, damn, if there aren't all sorts of limitations, random quirks, rough edges, or poor design choices in the game. Compared to earlier Thief games or the overall market, the advances in engine and design over the past fifteen years, it's nowhere close to being a great game. Some items are preference, but other comments I just have a hard time taking at face value - talking about how good the engine is, TB's claims of getting over 120 FPS on a single Titan at maximum settings, non-stealth fans talking about how great this game is, etc.

They give you missions early on that you won't have the tools for, preventing you from obtaining 100%, and either forcing you to play the same level over again or forcing you to automatically finish with a lower ranking. It's a "hub" that is completely fractured into pieces of wildly inconsistent design. I spent 5 minutes figure out how to even get to a specific area - figuring out the map and all the load screens and window quicktime events that somehow connected to one another - to have it be one of the moments where the character just decided to drop down rather than jumping across, requiring me to go through the whole direction puzzle again. Why do some areas, specifically talking about non-missions areas, respawn items while other remain in a cleared state? Why did my rope arrow disappear from one area, but not the others? Given that rope arrows are a finite resource and can only be used in the developer-designated areas, why are there some areas with few/no anchor points and other areas with numerous anchor points, requiring backtracking to a supply vendor, meaning more map/hub fighting? For all the backtracking required through the various locked off window sequences, was it really important to have you hold E, wait for the canned patting animation to play (it's a damned window, just like all the others,) to then spam the E button, and then go through another animation? Speaking of animation, why is the game so obsessed with showing off the character model - this game needs to be fun and challenging, not slow and artistic. Did they really remove the ability to jump and then design a challenge around walking past floorplates? This entire corner is in dark shadow; why, when in this one specific area, do I become fully exposed? Why do they keep adding whole new areas to the hub that I already explored; how am I supposed to learn the routes if the game jus throws out connecting points willy nilly? Dear lord, does this one vertical area really have five different windows, all linking to separate areas?

I could go on and one, but it just speaks to how infuriating the game can be, how inconsistent the design is. And these are only touching on some of the things I stumbled into while trying to legitimately play the game. While fiddling around with items and combat yesterday, I easily identified a number of other issues.
It's not crap, but there are so many terrible design choices in play.
Having unhindered fun in so few moments of my playing ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

72. Re: Ignored Mar 3, 2014, 17:17 MajorD

Quboid wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 15:10:
MajorD wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 12:52:
To view this user's posts click on the username.

What did this idiot say now, anything interesting? You can't actually quote people you've (momentarily) blocked, hope you guys appreciate the amount of hard work that went into this joke.

Grin....I set myself up for that one.

71. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 15:10 eRe4s3r

Jerykk wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 12:42:
Why is there a load-screen at every window (literally) or why are the guards so extremely retarded.... in Thief 3, if you triggered the alert state, you were pretty well on your way to a morgue unless you went full assassin and killed EVERYONE (It was actually fun playing like that, because it wasn't easy to kill every guard in the game without dieing ,p)

There aren't load screens at literally every window. Only at the windows that load other zones of the city. Most of the windows just open. The "E" mashing gets pretty tedious, though. It was tedious in the Arkham games and just as tedious here. Not sure why any designer thinks that's a good mechanic these days (or even in the past). It might be because they need to delay the window opening so that they can finish loading the room. Perhaps the mashing keeps the player busy during this process so it's less obvious..? Stupid either way. I'd rather just sit and wait for him to open the window.

As for AI, yeah, it definitely seems to have some pathing issues. Thankfully, the way I play keeps AI issues hidden since I'm not allowed to be detected and I'm not allowed to neutralize anyone. With those rules, the AI does its job well enough.

While it was hyperbole (ok, and I didn't play the game, I watched a let's play), don't you think that animation and slow button mash sequence is there to hide a loading screen? Why else would it be there, it has no gameplay reason... to me, that is like an elevator ride in mass effect 1, except you have to mash buttons for the loading bar to reach 100% (and now that I thought of that, that's how I will see every single one of these sequences in the future, wee ,p)

They are manual load-screens, haha

70. Re: Ignored Mar 3, 2014, 15:10 Quboid

MajorD wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 12:52:
To view this user's posts click on the username.

What did this idiot say now, anything interesting? You can't actually quote people you've (momentarily) blocked, hope you guys appreciate the amount of hard work that went into this joke.

- Quboid

69. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 15:06 mag

I have... five people in this thread blocked. Ha! Mostly for idiocy from a long while ago. Probably it's time to forgive and forget.  

68. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 15:04 Kosumo

Can I just say it was me, not Nin, who brought up Jerykk past pro-piratcy. I done it as a light hearted jab (hince why I had smilies at the end - there no tounge and cheek one sorry). It not so much that he pirated games, it's more how he would advicate it as the logical thing to do.

I wont bring it up anymore. Sorry all.

67. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2014, 13:58 Dmitri_M

Never really understood ignoring people. Seems only to highlight that they deserve special treatment. I just scroll past.

I think I'm on at least cutter's block list. But that's because I relentlessly trolled him for being him. I take perverse pleasure in knowing my posts are highlighted in every thread I'm I'm.

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo