Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 3, 2014, 01:51 Cutter

Brataccas wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 01:10:
I bought a refurbished HP LaserJet 4p in June of 1994. I still use the damn thing nearly every day. Sure, it requires a parallel-to-usb cable to work properly, but I have it hooked up through my router and shared out to the entire family. We go through probably a ream of paper every two months tops. My wife and I far prefer reading anything longer than a few pages of material on paper -- can't stand ebooks and electronic documents/magazines. Simply easier and more enjoyable to mark things up with highlighters, margin notes, stickies, etc while sitting out on the couch or browsing outdoors. Electronic text is for skimming, paper is for deep reading and analysis.

I'm the same. I've never cared for reading - beyond briefly - things on the PC. I just grabbed a new all-in-one, wireless color printer last month so I'm pretty happy. I do a considerable amount of printing for personal and business because it's easier having physical copies on hand to access than going through stored docs and emails looking for what I want - particularly when I need it quickly. I could never juggle everything solely electronically.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 3, 2014, 01:10 Brataccas

I bought a refurbished HP LaserJet 4p in June of 1994. I still use the damn thing nearly every day. Sure, it requires a parallel-to-usb cable to work properly, but I have it hooked up through my router and shared out to the entire family. We go through probably a ream of paper every two months tops. My wife and I far prefer reading anything longer than a few pages of material on paper -- can't stand ebooks and electronic documents/magazines. Simply easier and more enjoyable to mark things up with highlighters, margin notes, stickies, etc while sitting out on the couch or browsing outdoors. Electronic text is for skimming, paper is for deep reading and analysis.  

18. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 3, 2014, 00:10 jdreyer

jimnms wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 21:46:
Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 18:56:
How often do you guys print things?

I don't print a whole lot which is why I bought a laser printer+scanner several years ago. My mom on the other hand, if she had a printer she would probably print out everything on the internet. She is always wanting me to print stuff out for her. I got her a tablet a few years ago, and she'll forward emails to me asking me to print it out so she can have a copy to save. I keep telling her she doesn't need to print them out, they'll stay in her gmail archive unless she deletes them.

After college when I didn't need to print a lot of stuff anymore, I discovered that the ink cartridges would dry out after ~3 months whether you use them or not, and it seemed like every time I needed to print something the cartridge had dried out. I got tired of paying $30 per cartridge and only printing half a dozen or so pages per cartridge.

The laser printer cost me $90, and I believe it even had a mail-in rebate. It came with a starter toner cartridge good for ~50 pages. I lucked up because CompUSA went out of business shortly after buying the printer. We don't have one locally, but I happened to be in a city with one on their last day. I drove by and they had a sign saying last day of business everything 90% off. I found 4 toner cartridges for my printer and bought them all. I think they're good for 5000 pages each, so I'm set for life and then some on toner.

I've had a couple of laser printers since the early 90s, so going on 25 years here pretty soon. I've found that toner cartridges tend to last about 7 - 8 years, if I use them sparingly. The trouble isn't that they run out of toner, but that the electrostatic drums start to break down, and you get black splotches on your paper. In the case of my new toner cartridge that sat around for 10 years, the drum decayed at the opening, so I had a black line horizontally across the page every five inches. Not sure if there's some way to store them to prevent this. When my new toner cart went bad I was living in a pretty humid place.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

17. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 21:46 jimnms

I don't print a whole lot which is why I bought a laser printer+scanner several years ago. My mom on the other hand, if she had a printer she would probably print out everything on the internet. She is always wanting me to print stuff out for her. I got her a tablet a few years ago, and she'll forward emails to me asking me to print it out so she can have a copy to save. I keep telling her she doesn't need to print them out, they'll stay in her gmail archive unless she deletes them.

After college when I didn't need to print a lot of stuff anymore, I discovered that the ink cartridges would dry out after ~3 months whether you use them or not, and it seemed like every time I needed to print something the cartridge had dried out. I got tired of paying $30 per cartridge and only printing half a dozen or so pages per cartridge.

The laser printer cost me $90, and I believe it even had a mail-in rebate. It came with a starter toner cartridge good for ~50 pages. I lucked up because CompUSA went out of business shortly after buying the printer. We don't have one locally, but I happened to be in a city with one on their last day. I drove by and they had a sign saying last day of business everything 90% off. I found 4 toner cartridges for my printer and bought them all. I think they're good for 5000 pages each, so I'm set for life and then some on toner.

MeanJim on Steam

16. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 21:01 Axis

Kevin Curran... oh how you look the fool.  

Yours truly,

Axis

15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 20:52 jdreyer

I admit I don't print stuff for myself personally much, but I print out stuff for the kids on a weekly basis, usually homework or school forms.

14. Printers... Mar 2, 2014, 19:33 Ant

I rarely print (a few pages per month). My king ant prints a lot. At work, we print a lot. :O  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 18:56 Beamer

For me, I probably print 1 or 2 personal things a year, usually concert tickets from places that won't mail them to me or do willcall. Business-wise, I used to print a lot at my old company, which did everything in powerpoint as decks, but my current company views them as slides (which drives me nuts), and I think I print maybe once a quarter, if that.
In both cases I can see a tablet that allowed for marking documents up replacing these instantly. My last company was trying to replace paper with iPads for decks for executives, but since you can't mark them up it drove me nuts.

Once that tech hits, though, I can see consumer printers fading almost instantaneously. They're almost there. I never owned my own printer - in HS my parents had one, then I just relied on other ones. My parents still use theirs, but mostly for stupid crap, and they're using it less and less.

For commercial purposes, yes, paper will always be here. And for personal uses we'll still need documents, but probably not often enough to warrant buying a printer rather than finding another way. Even now, so much of the legal stuff I sign is done via e-signatures.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 18:12 ForgedReality

Paper is awesome for printing high resolution artwork and advertising. I mean, shit, businesses buy $50,000+ plotters that print on huge rolls of paper, using four or more ink cartridges that cost $500 or more a piece. It's here to stay.  

11. Re: Into the Black Mar 2, 2014, 18:05 NegaDeath

The ease of use, universal compatibility, relative security and low cost will ensure fax machines stick around for a lot longer than 4 years. Consumers might drop paper but businesses won't anytime soon.  

10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 17:24 Pigeon

Our competitors are doing to us exactly what we've been doing to them. THIS CANNOT STAND!! Furious2  

9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 16:09 dj LiTh

I'll just leave this here ;)  

8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 16:01 jdreyer

jimnms wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 15:51:
I'll be surprised if we can get rid of fucking fax machines in 4 years.
Exactly, and Fax machines have been irrelevant for 15 years.

7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 15:51 jimnms

I'll be surprised if we can get rid of fucking fax machines in 4 years.  

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 15:30 Flatline

Man that article on the printer reads like it's satire. I guess it's for real, although there's nothing backing it up, including the IEEE dude's own webpage.

Though reading what he has said, it's not out of the pale, the guy has his head in the sky about a lot of things.

5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 15:30 Cutter

Printing is going nowhere. Clearly they've been smoking way too much weed down at the IEEE.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 14:57 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 13:56:
The paper printer will be dead in four years, says IEEE.

Meh, that's a bit optimistic. 20 years, maybe, but not 4.

They were saying that in 1990. But then all the docs kept were required by law. So predictors spoke without knowing how jack shit works.

Apple says it would love a monopoly. No shit.

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 14:31 Frags4Fun

Four years. What a joke! So disconnected from reality.  

2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 14:20 nin

jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 13:56:

Like the boneheads a few years ago claiming email was on it's way out...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 13:56 jdreyer

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo