Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Family Library Sharing Live

Steam News announces that Family Library Sharing is out of beta, and available to all Steam users:

Steamís Family Library Sharing is now released for all Steam users. Players who share computers can now also share their available libraries with one another, each earning their own achievements and saving their own game progress to the Steam Cloud. Itís all enabled by authorizing shared computers and the familiar accounts that log into them.

Read on for more information about Family Library Sharing.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

8. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 15:25 HorrorScope

Draugr wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 14:42:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 14:39:
I just set up with another.... I'm seeing very very few games that allow sharing.

In my experience they don't list dupes, but I've never had a game that wasn't allowed. are you sure it's not just filtering that? Obviously this would make the shared game listed look a bit smaller, heh.

Could be dupes. Will review more, just getting into it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 14:42 Draugr

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 14:39:
I just set up with another.... I'm seeing very very few games that allow sharing.

In my experience they don't list dupes, but I've never had a game that wasn't allowed. are you sure it's not just filtering that? Obviously this would make the shared game listed look a bit smaller, heh.

6. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 14:39 HorrorScope

5. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 13:54 jacobvandy

If you're not playing a Steam game of yours (ex: I got sucked into Minecraft again lately, been playing almost nothing else for two weeks), someone else [whom you trust] can. That's the benefit... If you don't see the value in that, it wasn't made for you. It's essentially legitimizing sharing your credentials, which they know people often do; so when you give your login info to someone else (as mentioned, can be indirectly now by simply logging in on their computer), they can still be logged in to their account when they play your games. It is NOT meant to be a way for you to simply glom some free games off of other people whenever you want.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2014, 14:00.

4. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 12:42 HorrorScope

So what is the benefit?

I don't have to know the other shared libraries username and password and be logged in as them. I can now use their stuff if they aren't on AND I can still be me while doing so

That is it. Slightly better, more secure, allows you to keep yourself online.

For what we really want or the other posters allude to. Like that was ever going to happen. Sure we want it, but we weren't really born last night were we?

3. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 12:21 MattyB

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 12:03:
Can two users share a library and both play at the same time?
No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time.

That makes it totally worthless.

Yup. I can understand making the particular game unavailable, but the whole library?*

*(assuming I'm understanding this correctly)

2. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 12:03 Silicon Avatar

Can two users share a library and both play at the same time?
No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time.

That makes it totally worthless.

1. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 12:02 Panickd

I never got the point of the Library Sharing feature. If I can't be logged into my account and playing a game at the same time someone I've shared my library with wants to play a totally different game from my library it loses any value it may have had.  

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo