Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Family Library Sharing Live

Steam News announces that Family Library Sharing is out of beta, and available to all Steam users:

Steamís Family Library Sharing is now released for all Steam users. Players who share computers can now also share their available libraries with one another, each earning their own achievements and saving their own game progress to the Steam Cloud. Itís all enabled by authorizing shared computers and the familiar accounts that log into them.

Read on for more information about Family Library Sharing.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 01:55 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 19:37:
BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SHARE WITH - IF THEY USE A CHEAT OR HACK OR GET BANNED YOU ARE ALSO BANNED!

That's a great point. If I make use of this, I only intend to use it with the kids, but if they decide to use some hack when they get older, I'd be fcked. All the more reason to get them their own account, I suppose...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 00:18 Orogogus

Redmask wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 22:47:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 19:36:
Because they are selfish and want shit for free. You are using it EXACTLY how it is intended.

No, I think they just want people to be able to use their old games they no longer have any use for. It's not an unreasonable expectation. I would happily deauthorize games from my account permanently or enter in some sort of weird locking share mechanism to do it because there are many I don't enjoy or didn't play much that I think others would get some use out of.

I don't see anyone talking about that. I can't imagine anyone read about "family sharing" and thought, yes, Valve is envisioning a way to dump unwanted games on your family members.

A system that lets you get in on Prez's account does seem to be what people have in mind.

26. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 00:10 BurntSoul

This is valve's answer for a PC demo and a Perfect win/win from a marketing perspective.

From a parent's point of view, it initially looks like it would be a great way to save money and keep the kids off their own computers + allow the kids to have personal achievements on their own steam account.

Then mom or dad want to play a game. Guess what? Timmy was playing a game right now, and you just knocked him off.

Well Timmy needs his CoD fix!

Mom and Dad now hear for the next 4 days that he wants his own copy of CoD on his own steam account...and he'll get it for sure! If not immediately for the whining, then definitely during a Christmas sale or when their birthday hits - whichever comes first.

It's Genius.

25. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 22:49 Silicon Avatar

This is the biggest non-family non-sharing POS that anyone has ever come out with. LOL.

24. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 22:47 Redmask

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 19:36:
Because they are selfish and want shit for free. You are using it EXACTLY how it is intended.

No, I think they just want people to be able to use their old games they no longer have any use for. It's not an unreasonable expectation. I would happily deauthorize games from my account permanently or enter in some sort of weird locking share mechanism to do it because there are many I don't enjoy or didn't play much that I think others would get some use out of.

You want stuff for free too apparently:

5. You can manipulate the system - family share can be not in the same house, you just have to log into each other's machine, authorize machine, then log out. https://join.me/ works nicely to do this.
6. It is nice, cause those I share with and vice versa - I try not to double up purchases.

23. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 19:37 xXBatmanXx

BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SHARE WITH - IF THEY USE A CHEAT OR HACK OR GET BANNED YOU ARE ALSO BANNED!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

22. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 19:36 xXBatmanXx

LarryLaffer wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 16:42:
I personally will find this extremely useful. I have four children who all have different games on their four different accounts on our main computer. Now if I feel like it I can play their games, which I couldn't before. How people see this is not being useful is beyond me.

--Laffman

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

21. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 19:35 xXBatmanXx

1. It is IDEALLY for the same household with 1 computer - multiple accounts.
2. You are sharing a hardware device/allowing a hardware device
3. Only 1 person can use a shared account at a time, and once the owner wants to play a game, you get a message and will be removed from game in 5 minutes
4. You used to be able to go to offline mode to get around #3
5. You can manipulate the system - family share can be not in the same house, you just have to log into each other's machine, authorize machine, then log out. https://join.me/ works nicely to do this.
6. It is nice, cause those I share with and vice versa - I try not to double up purchases.

Good luck. Been using for a while, and a very large portion of games are shareable.

20. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 19:26 Slashman

Well there goes my master plan to play hundreds of games from Prez's account. Tears  

19. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 19:08 gilly775

Panickd wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 12:02:
I never got the point of the Library Sharing feature. If I can't be logged into my account and playing a game at the same time someone I've shared my library with wants to play a totally different game from my library it loses any value it may have had.

You can be logged in; you just can't be playing a game.

Btw, this has been available for everyone for over a month now. I never got a beta invite and noticed it a couple of months ago. So did my other friends.

18. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 18:33 jdreyer

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 17:59:
You don't have to give little Johnny unfettered access to your account to let him play a few games you have that would be appropriate for him. I hope you don't have credit card info saved on your wife's account...

I imagine these conversations:

Dad: "Johnny why are you so upset??!"
Johnny: "I clicked on this game called Mortal Kombat, and it loaded and I won my fight, and the game told me to finish him, so I did, and my... my character... BWAAAAAAAAAAH!!!"

Wife: "Honey, what is this charge to Valve, LLC for $3,530.43? Did someone hack our account?"
Husband, horrified, logs into Steam and sees that Train Simulator and all DLC have been purchased and added to account.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

17. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 17:59 jacobvandy

Caladell wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 17:46:
I personally will find this extremely useful. I have four children who all have different games on their four different accounts on our main computer. Now if I feel like it I can play their games, which I couldn't before. How people see this is not being useful is beyond me.

--Laffman

You could have before, just by logging into their accounts on your computer.
Which is what my son is doing now. We got him a worms game on my wife's account, because his computer couldn't run it. Now, she got a new computer, so he got hers. When he wants to play that game, he just logs into her account.
The only benefit I see is having separate saves/achievements. Kinda hit or miss whether games have profiles/save slots built it. So for those that don't, the sharing is kinda cool. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

Family sharing doesn't require logging in as another person. That's the point. All these millions of dollars and years of events targeting building the Steam Community, Valve certainly doesn't want you to have to do that. You maintaining your online presence is almost as important to them as buying and playing games. Plus it's just all-around easier for the user. You don't have to give little Johnny unfettered access to your account to let him play a few games you have that would be appropriate for him. I hope you don't have credit card info saved on your wife's account...

16. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 17:46 Caladell

--Laffman

You could have before, just by logging into their accounts on your computer.
Which is what my son is doing now. We got him a worms game on my wife's account, because his computer couldn't run it. Now, she got a new computer, so he got hers. When he wants to play that game, he just logs into her account.
The only benefit I see is having separate saves/achievements. Kinda hit or miss whether games have profiles/save slots built it. So for those that don't, the sharing is kinda cool. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

15. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 17:43 Aero

I would dearly love to be able to "lend" my steam games individually to other friends the same way you can lend some e-books. I can imagine why they wouldn't like this of course, but I believe it should be within my rights to do so.

This whole family thing, on the other hand, is too cumbersome and of limited value to a fairly small audience.

14. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 16:50 Draugr

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 15:25:
Draugr wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 14:42:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 14:39:
I just set up with another.... I'm seeing very very few games that allow sharing.

In my experience they don't list dupes, but I've never had a game that wasn't allowed. are you sure it's not just filtering that? Obviously this would make the shared game listed look a bit smaller, heh.

Could be dupes. Will review more, just getting into it.

Just to follow up as I was curious about this possible limitation after your mentioned it, from the FAQ:

Can all Steam games be shared with friends and family?
No, due to technical limitations, some Steam games may be unavailable for sharing. For example, titles that require an additional third-party key, account, or subscription in order to play cannot be shared between accounts.

and

Can region-restricted content be shared across regions?
No, any region restrictions will remain in place when lending or borrowing content.

13. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 16:42 LarryLaffer

--Laffman

12. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 16:41 jacobvandy

Panickd wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 16:28:
Precisely, which is why it is just about the most useless feature Steam has ever rolled out. I don't need something like this to share a game with my kid because I can just log into my account and let him play any game I have with no bullshit "cannot be shared" issues. There are zero technical reasons I shouldn't be able to play a game while sharing out my library and allowing a friend on an entirely different machine to play an entirely different game simultaneously. Its no different than me coughing up the discs of a game I'm no longer playing so that he can have a run at it like we all did in the old days. Or does no one remember the days when we had that much control over our games?

That "control" was technically illegal... Remember all the DRM solutions that involved limiting activations? You were never authorized to transfer the software license (you never owned the software itself) to another person, so they were coming up with ways to limit that behavior in a manner that wouldn't piss off people too much. Now with digital distribution and subscription accounts, they can prevent it entirely. The "good old days" of copying floppies and passing around CDs is gone, get over it.

11. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 16:28 Panickd

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 16:03:
Due to this, this is not the "share with friends and remote family" plan we would all clamor for, but more of a "share with your children/spouse locally" system.

Precisely, which is why it is just about the most useless feature Steam has ever rolled out. I don't need something like this to share a game with my kid because I can just log into my account and let him play any game I have with no bullshit "cannot be shared" issues. There are zero technical reasons I shouldn't be able to play a game while sharing out my library and allowing a friend on an entirely different machine to play an entirely different game simultaneously. Its no different than me coughing up the discs of a game I'm no longer playing so that he can have a run at it like we all did in the old days. Or does no one remember the days when we had that much control over our games?

10. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 16:03 Ray Marden

Unless they changed it, you are authorizing access to your account on a specific piece of hardware. I go to somebody else's system, they log out of their Steam account on that hardware, I log into steam under my account credentials, I authorize access on that hardware, I log out of Steam, and that person logs back in - they should now see my games on that specific piece of hardware.

For reference, I had to complete this process on both my wife's laptop and my wife's desktop computer. Now, if you trust the other party so much that you are fine giving them the credentials to your account so they can pretend you are there, in person, authorization access, that may work. Well, unless Valve has come up an additional layer or protection requiring local proximity verification.

Otherwise, as others have stated, you cannot access other games under y our account while a separate, approved entity also plays a game under your account. Due to this, this is not the "share with friends and remote family" plan we would all clamor for, but more of a "share with your children/spouse locally" system.

At the end of the day, my wife and I rarely access one another's games, both due to the account restrictions and due to my games list being significantly larger than and overlapping hers. However, there have been two or three games where we've both wanted to play a certain PC game, but not to the point where it was worth picking up two copies of the game. In those cases, one of us plays the game on the specific Steam account while the other works, watches television, plays on the PS4 or Wii U, etc.

Ideally, I wish I could disable certain games on my account while other friends or remote family played them, but I suspect the developers and publishers would never go for this (or at least not in the current market.) I can see both sides - I can see this readily getting abused by others, but I also see many indie or single-player games that my wife and I will play once and then never again or games we might play co-op with one another, if a second full-price purchase wasn't required. This speaks to a bigger issues with developers and publishers, though; most of them have no system for family access. Don't get me started on the console developers/publishers that don't allow more than one save file for a given game or games that so fluff up the gameplay with collectibles that we would have to be insane to even contemplate separate games.
Our AC:BF game is on her profile. No achievements for mine!
Totally suffering from problems of the first world ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

9. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 15:41 Rhett

But can I share my library with family who are out-of-state? A simple case of sharing a password... I mean, I've already shared accounts with family members before, but I'm wondering if this is "acceptable use" if not in the same household.  

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo