Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Family Library Sharing Live

Steam News announces that Family Library Sharing is out of beta, and available to all Steam users:

Steamís Family Library Sharing is now released for all Steam users. Players who share computers can now also share their available libraries with one another, each earning their own achievements and saving their own game progress to the Steam Cloud. Itís all enabled by authorizing shared computers and the familiar accounts that log into them.

Read on for more information about Family Library Sharing.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 7, 2014, 18:21 Quinn

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 13:09:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 22:49:
This is the biggest non-family non-sharing POS that anyone has ever come out with. LOL.

You see the problem is you are to stupid to figure out what it actually means, and it actually works great. Again, exactly like they said. Multiple accounts, one house, one machine. duh. Family share.

You make it so easy to add you to the filter.

That's it with this guy's attitude. I'm sure he has around 80 ppl in his "tard list" by now and he'll be literally my first blacklisted guy ever. He has exactly that stereotype gamer attitude that make the rest of us look bad. Bye bye now batty boy.

*sigh* Screw it, can't be arsed to filter him. Besides, there's really no effort to ignoring a 15-year old. Maybe 16. Uncertain.

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2014, 18:31.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 4, 2014, 08:59 Verno

Ironically people just want similar functionality to what you're doing already except they want it implemented legitimately  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

46. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 3, 2014, 22:02 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 09:42:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 22:42:
I actually do use it for family, but we aren't in the same house. Family Share.

Sorry Batman he got you there, what you described violates the program TOS since you're not in the same household. This is way too limiting for me to get much use out of it sadly and that's what I would like changed, I don't think that qualifies me as just wanting free games or being a whiner.

oh well.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

45. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 3, 2014, 09:42 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 22:42:

Sorry Batman he got you there, what you described violates the program TOS since you're not in the same household. This is way too limiting for me to get much use out of it sadly and that's what I would like changed, I don't think that qualifies me as just wanting free games or being a whiner.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

44. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 23:09 Bundy

Can't see us using this. I have 3 PC's in my house we use for gaming, often all of them at the same time. Easier to just put 2 of them in offline mode. As long as only 1 guy is playing something that requires internet, all is well. Overall, just way more functional. I like the idea of a family sharing program, but I don't think Valve executed it well.  

43. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 22:42 xXBatmanXx

Redmask wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 18:54:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 11:48:
Yet it works EXACTLY HOW THEY SAID IT WOULD FROM THE BEGINNING!

That's what people have a problem with and you clearly admitted to not using the program as its intended as well so I don't see why you have a problem with other people seeking some accessibility changes.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

42. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 18:54 Redmask

That's what people have a problem with and you clearly admitted to not using the program as its intended as well so I don't see why you have a problem with other people seeking some accessibility changes.

41. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 15:51 HorrorScope

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 11:33:
About being whiny or not...

I think people wanted it to be:

"I can share my game library, they can then play a game from my llibrary that I am not playing". (Cool!)

That is it.

Not "They can't play any game from my library when I am playing anything at all.". (Limiting.)

So it works in the world of "I can play something from yours when you are off doing something else in life". (Again Limiting)

That's fine, I'm just thinking that is what many hoped for. I wasn't listening, I just waited until it went live, checked it out. Not sure if I'll use it or not like this. No big, already satisfied in general, with or without this.

40. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 14:57 jdreyer

"I can share my game library, they can then play a game from my llibrary that I am not playing". (Cool!)

That is it.

Not "They can't play any game from my library when I am playing anything at all.". (Limiting.)

So it works in the world of "I can play something from yours when you are off doing something else in life". (Again Limiting)

This. Exactly this. Two games. Two players. At the same time.

Dad logs in to his steam account. Loads Skyrim. Plays it. Son logs in to his own account five minutes later. Accesses Dad's shared games. Starts Burnout Paradise. Dad and son are playing two different games from Dad's account at the same time. Just like if they had the games on disk. Valve helped destroy the disk-based game sales. They should fix some of the benefits that came with disk-based gaming. Not saying it would be easy, but it's not like Valve doesn't have the resources to make it happen.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2014, 15:05.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

39. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 13:09 xXBatmanXx

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 22:49:
This is the biggest non-family non-sharing POS that anyone has ever come out with. LOL.

You see the problem is you are to stupid to figure out what it actually means, and it actually works great. Again, exactly like they said. Multiple accounts, one house, one machine. duh. Family share.

You make it so easy to add you to the filter.

38. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 12:54 Silicon Avatar

That is it.

It does, which sucks, which is why people are complaining and have been since the beta even started.

But hey, keep yelling, I'm sure somebody is impressed by your all-caps white-knighting of a multinational corporation. They really, really need your support I'm sure.

37. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 11:48 xXBatmanXx

That is it.

36. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 11:33 HorrorScope

That is it.

35. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 11:05 xXBatmanXx

dj LiTh wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 10:38:
Or you know, just install a game for someone else using your steam credentials and have them play it in offline mode while you play it online...

I think they disabled your shared list if you go to "offline mode" now - cause we were doing that with Starbound.....then I said F it and bought it.

34. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 10:38 dj LiTh

Or you know, just install a game for someone else using your steam credentials and have them play it in offline mode while you play it online...  

33. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 10:29 Dagnamit

I see this is just another, "but I don't want to pay for ANYTHING!" whiner thread. color me shocked.  

32. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 10:18 Redmask

Orogogus wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 00:18:
I don't see anyone talking about that. I can't imagine anyone read about "family sharing" and thought, yes, Valve is envisioning a way to dump unwanted games on your family members.

You can't imagine anyone read about family sharing and actually wanted to share games with family members. Yeah that sounds reasonable.

31. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 08:37 xXBatmanXx

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 04:55:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 18:33:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 17:59:
You don't have to give little Johnny unfettered access to your account to let him play a few games you have that would be appropriate for him. I hope you don't have credit card info saved on your wife's account...

I imagine these conversations:

Dad: "Johnny why are you so upset??!"
Johnny: "I clicked on this game called Mortal Kombat, and it loaded and I won my fight, and the game told me to finish him, so I did, and my... my character... BWAAAAAAAAAAH!!!"

Wife: "Honey, what is this charge to Valve, LLC for $3,530.43? Did someone hack our account?"
Husband, horrified, logs into Steam and sees that Train Simulator and all DLC have been purchased and added to account.

Well to be fair, if you were smart you would not link a credit card to steam... if you link paypal on check-out you still have to enter your paypal password. Which your children or family should definitely NOT know ;p

They also enabled parental controls. If you turn it on, no one can purchase while in that account.

30. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 04:55 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 18:33:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 17:59:
You don't have to give little Johnny unfettered access to your account to let him play a few games you have that would be appropriate for him. I hope you don't have credit card info saved on your wife's account...

I imagine these conversations:

Dad: "Johnny why are you so upset??!"
Johnny: "I clicked on this game called Mortal Kombat, and it loaded and I won my fight, and the game told me to finish him, so I did, and my... my character... BWAAAAAAAAAAH!!!"

Wife: "Honey, what is this charge to Valve, LLC for $3,530.43? Did someone hack our account?"
Husband, horrified, logs into Steam and sees that Train Simulator and all DLC have been purchased and added to account.

Well to be fair, if you were smart you would not link a credit card to steam... if you link paypal on check-out you still have to enter your paypal password. Which your children or family should definitely NOT know ;p

29. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 01:56 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 22:47:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 19:36:
Because they are selfish and want shit for free. You are using it EXACTLY how it is intended.

No, I think they just want people to be able to use their old games they no longer have any use for. It's not an unreasonable expectation. I would happily deauthorize games from my account permanently or enter in some sort of weird locking share mechanism to do it because there are many I don't enjoy or didn't play much that I think others would get some use out of.

You want stuff for free too apparently:

5. You can manipulate the system - family share can be not in the same house, you just have to log into each other's machine, authorize machine, then log out. https://join.me/ works nicely to do this.
6. It is nice, cause those I share with and vice versa - I try not to double up purchases.

Or maybe you're divoced and your child(ren) are two hours away. Or maybe Johnny is spending the summer at G'ma's house.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo