Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support

The Roberts Space Industries website has details on a new version 11.1 patch that's now available for the Hangar module for Star Citizen, the upcoming space combat game (thanks TweakTown). Here are the complete patch notes:

A new Hangar patch is now available via your launcher! Patch 11.1 adds support for the Oculus Rift to the Hangar module, which was promised as part of the $12 million stretch goal! Oculus owners can now get a first look at their ship collections using the 3D headset. Be sure to let us know what you think! This is a pre-alpha release. There are a number of known issues regarding the Rift support; a complete list is available in the patch notes. Please report any additional bugs on the forums!

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

22. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 12:49 Jamil20

gray wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:11:
I find this an odd announcement as it's been working for me the whole time, Crytek added support at an engine level a while back.

It's still a bit shonky but they are getting there, will be superb when it's fully supported if Elite: Dangerous is anything to go by.

This may have required some updated Crytek engine libraries, which can cause some issues. Sounds like it was pretty painless though. Also have to add the options to the user interface. Hardly $1MM of effort though. Maybe the chairman decided to get off his chair and do it himself, and we should feel honoured?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 12:49 Quboid

gray wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:11:
I find this an odd announcement as it's been working for me the whole time, Crytek added support at an engine level a while back.

It's still a bit shonky but they are getting there, will be superb when it's fully supported if Elite: Dangerous is anything to go by.

Maybe they mean Star Citizen specific stuff like making sure the UI works.

I have concerns about the Rift but I'm certainly not going to knock it without having tried it. They have a 1080p model with a new screen tech that greatly reduces nauseating blurring (the Crystal Cove prototype) so I think it's fair to assume that the commercial model will have at least this. If it's not out until 2015, a 1440p model might be nice.

You apparently need a higher frame rate than you do with a monitor, maintaining 90 FPS or you'll get nauseated. I typically don't even average that at 1920x1200 so I'm not in a great hurry to see a 1440p or 4K model for while. I'd rather they released a 1080p model soon and if that's successful, work on the resolution and the many other kinks that will be uncovered for the Rift 2.

(Edit: clarification on Crystal Cove prototype.)

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2014, 13:00.

- Quboid

20. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 12:45 Jamil20

Optional Nickname! wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 09:22:
FTA: KNOWN ISSUE You may be able to get a better picture by setting the resolution to the native Oculus Rift resolution (1280800)

Virtual reality, in its current, past and near future forms, is laughable and a distraction.

That's an unfair assessment.
That is the native resolution of the developer kit's screen. The consumer version will be at least a 1080p screen, perhaps 1440p.

This is about the most innovation in gaming we're getting now-a-days. The xbone and ps4 aren't pushing any limits of modern hardware. That's our performance target for the next 5 years otherwise.

19. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 12:36 SpectralMeat

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:27:
Was this a $1m stretch goal?
What do you think?

Steam: SpectralMeat

18. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 12:35 Pr()ZaC

Not related but I'd like to see the VR solution from Valve. Devs say it's pretty good.  

17. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 12:27 BIGtrouble77

Now I'm curious if they just flipped a switch to turn on something the underlying engine already supports. Was this a $1m stretch goal?  

16. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 12:11 gray

15. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 11:36 SpectralMeat

El Pit wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 11:34:
I Backed Elite: Dangerous instead of SC.
I should have done the same, went the other way unfortunately. Elite slipped under the radar for me and the Kickstarter was already over when I've realized it.

14. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 11:34 El Pit

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 11:33:
Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 11:31:
It's funny how this was a stretch goal for SC, but Braben just put it into Elite:Dangerous "because it was cool."

Point: Braben.

Braben now leads 2-0.
Can't wait for Elite

Neither can I. Backed Elite: Dangerous instead of SC.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

13. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 11:33 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 11:31:
It's funny how this was a stretch goal for SC, but Braben just put it into Elite:Dangerous "because it was cool."

Braben now leads 2-0.
Can't wait for Elite

12. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 11:31 Creston

Braben now leads 2-0.

11. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 11:12 El Pit

BWAHAHAHA! Rift support for THE HANGAR MODULE?! This is the most funny thing I've read this week. Hilarious!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

10. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 10:44 InBlack

Shataan wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 10:00:
Hey lets add future support for a periferal that's still vapourware for the general masses. Imho until anyone who wants an Oculus can buy an Oculus off the shelf, then the Oculus is just a buzzword.

Have you tried the Rift?

Unlike a certain piece of software in development which shall be left nameless but which currently features a hangar, the Rift actually has an actual finished developer kit, which is fully functional but inferior to the proposed consumer version. Im thinking you have your terms mixed up somehow...

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 10:31 Tumbler

I want to buy a 1080p rift but who knows when that will be out. Really tempting to buy a dev kit model now rather than wait.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

8. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 10:16 Frijoles

Awesome. Looking forward to trying this tonight.  

7. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 10:07 HorrorScope

Well sure it does!

I hear everything has Rift support, it's great to know since there isn't a release date for the Rift yet.

6. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 10:03 nin

Shataan wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 10:00:
Hey lets add future support for a periferal that's still vapourware for the general masses. Imho until anyone who wants an Oculus can buy an Oculus off the shelf, then the Oculus is just a buzzword.

You don't think it would help with adoption rates?

Granted, they're running out of parts at the moment, but I expect that to be fixed.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 10:00 Shataan

4. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 09:48 Wildone

Im guessing he hasn't either. Once you try it even in its low res form you wont wanna go back..

quote="SpectralMeat"Feb 28, 2014, 09:43]
InBlack wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 09:40:
FTA: KNOWN ISSUE You may be able to get a better picture by setting the resolution to the native Oculus Rift resolution (1280800)

Virtual reality, in its current, past and near future forms, is laughable and a distraction.

Have you tried the Rift?
Obviously not

3. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 09:43 SpectralMeat

InBlack wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 09:40:

Have you tried the Rift?
Obviously not

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo