Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support

The Roberts Space Industries website has details on a new version 11.1 patch that's now available for the Hangar module for Star Citizen, the upcoming space combat game (thanks TweakTown). Here are the complete patch notes:

A new Hangar patch is now available via your launcher! Patch 11.1 adds support for the Oculus Rift to the Hangar module, which was promised as part of the $12 million stretch goal! Oculus owners can now get a first look at their ship collections using the 3D headset. Be sure to let us know what you think! This is a pre-alpha release. There are a number of known issues regarding the Rift support; a complete list is available in the patch notes. Please report any additional bugs on the forums!

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Mar 2, 2014, 09:44 Quboid

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 21:47:
Quboid wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 19:13:
4K is 3840x2160, so 1920x2160 per eye - twice as many pixels as a 1080p screen per eye would have.

How do you expect to get a frame rate at 4K, or even 1440p (1280x1440 per eye)?

Dude. That's why I said "in a few years" . I'm hoping not too long though. I mean with the fast growing popularity of 4K I'd imagine that nVidia and AMD will hopefully try extra hard to crank out VGA cards capable of producing playable FPS at 4K resolution. They've been slacking off long enough.

Also, if you think that I am a little extreme with my 4K requirement then think again and read this article at Ars Technica where the OR head honcho says that in an ideal world he'd like 8K+ *per eye*(!) for a pixel-free experience.

I took "in a few years" to be a short enough time period that my system would still be relevant as a perfectly usable gaming rig, i.e. 2 or 3 years. In 5 to 10 years we should see big improvements so I agree with you there. They need to release a good, solid product at a price that allows people like me to splash out (i.e. 200-300). I would guess that 1080p is the best option for them to actually ship a product - they mustn't lose sight of that! I can easily understand why some people would be looking to sit this version out especially as, inevitably, the resolution won't be the only problem.

I think desktop monitors are on the verge of judged on PPI a lot more than they have been. With higher resolution TVs being common place and smartphones giving the general public a better understanding of the relevance of screen density. Apple have done a lot in this regard so *gritted teeth* credit to them for pushing "Retina". This will create a market for more GPU power, we'll get there.

I may be in the market for a monitor soon. I'd like a 30" 4K OLED monitor but by the looks of things that will be my subsequent primary monitor purchase in quite a few years. I'm looking at 27" 1440p monitors with full LED back-lighting but it's hard to determine how good their LED back-lights are. The cheap LED TV in my bedroom only has LEDs around the edge and has horribly uneven blacks, I want one with a full grid behind the pixel layer.

I don't think there's anything much in that article that we didn't know. I've heard that 10K would be needed but might have referred to a slightly wider field of view, or just have been an approximation. I don't see this as really relevant. If I didn't want anything to do with a technology until it's so refined that my own senses are the limiting factor, there'd be nothing on Bluesnews that would interest me. The resolution is a concern and will for the foreseeable future be something I will want to improve but, for me, 1080p will be worth buying.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2014, 10:28.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Mar 1, 2014, 20:13 nin

Quboid wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 18:06:
Doesn't everyone?

I think it was on IO9, where they had a list of time travel books, and in one, they summarized about one guy going back in time and having sex with himself.

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa???????" (I thought, rather horrified)

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

40. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Mar 1, 2014, 18:06 Quboid

Doesn't everyone?  

- Quboid

39. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Mar 1, 2014, 17:27 Kosumo

Quboid wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 16:14:
Fuck Quboid. Fuck that guy so hard.

Oh no; he is thinking about himself while wanking! Shocked Tongue

38. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Mar 1, 2014, 16:14 Quboid

harlock wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 11:14:
Nom4d wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 03:01:
But seeing as this is Blue's News I'm probably going to get shit on for being a fanboy because I tried to explain/show something.

you get shit on for being a fanboy because you are one.. and obnoxious

Total Comments 7 (Suspect)

He certainly looks like a Star Citizen fan but I don't actually see anything that he's said which is unreasonable and I don't think he's the obnoxious one here***. Many fans will get indignant if the subject of their interest is unfairly (in their opinion) targeted so while I think Nom4d could stand to have less of smugly triumphant tone to his points, he does make apparently researched and coherent points doesn't spew the ill-considered and illegible stuff that make a fan a fanboy.

*** That is, of course, me. Smugly stepping in and acting like I know everything and pulling out tired meta-jokes and meta-meta-jokes. Fuck Quboid. Fuck that guy so hard.

- Quboid

37. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Mar 1, 2014, 11:14 harlock

Nom4d wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 03:01:
But seeing as this is Blue's News I'm probably going to get shit on for being a fanboy because I tried to explain/show something.

you get shit on for being a fanboy because you are one.. and obnoxious

Total Comments 7 (Suspect)

36. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Mar 1, 2014, 03:01 Nom4d

[VG]Reagle wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 23:12:
After that well apparently these geeks start hemorrhaging cash and the developers add another stretch goal and laugh their way to the bank while doing nothing.

Meanwhile, the game looks like it was made in 1999 with a free engine... Oculus Rift Support please...

While doing nothing huh? So I'm guessing for a game that's still fully in development (and will be for a good while) it's normal to have a way to show off their assets (Hangar), have a Dogfighting Module coming out in a good month, show weekly updates on recent developments (news posts, ask a dev, weekly show (Wingman's Hangar) and a competition (The Next Great Starship). Yup, whole lot of nothing going on there.

Also, 1999 with a free engine: Top kek

35. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Mar 1, 2014, 01:59 Creston

I'd imagine another 'problem' with the rift is that jaggies are more noticeable, since the image is much closer to your eyes? So it would really benefit a lot more from AA?

So 90 fps, at 1080p, with AA? They better ship a Titan Black with every Oculus...

34. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 23:12 [VG]Reagle

I investigated the Star Citizen craze to try to find out what was going on with the millions and millions of dollars of crowd funding and here is a full report of what I found:

1. A bunch of Star Wars Geeks are Star Citizen fan bois
2. Every time Roberts Space Inc Tweets a shiver goes up their legs.
3. Due to the Nerdgasm in the SC forums nothing can be discussed.
4. Every stretch goal makes a million dollars and they produce nothing

So every stretch goal makes Star Wars Geeks have a nerdgasm and shivers shoot down their legs and apparently money shoots out their buts. That is pretty much the extent of my findings.

After that well apparently these geeks start hemorrhaging cash and the developers add another stretch goal and laugh their way to the bank while doing nothing.

Meanwhile, the game looks like it was made in 1999 with a free engine... Oculus Rift Support please...

Maybe Carmack will come and talk for 18 hours straight...that should get these nerd pumped up to donate $10,000 to become a platinum doner. Seriously...

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

33. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 21:47 CJ_Parker

Quboid wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 19:13:
4K is 3840x2160, so 1920x2160 per eye - twice as many pixels as a 1080p screen per eye would have.

How do you expect to get a frame rate at 4K, or even 1440p (1280x1440 per eye)?

Dude. That's why I said "in a few years" . I'm hoping not too long though. I mean with the fast growing popularity of 4K I'd imagine that nVidia and AMD will hopefully try extra hard to crank out VGA cards capable of producing playable FPS at 4K resolution. They've been slacking off long enough.

Also, if you think that I am a little extreme with my 4K requirement then think again and read this article at Ars Technica where the OR head honcho says that in an ideal world he'd like 8K+ *per eye*(!) for a pixel-free experience.

32. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 19:13 Quboid

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 14:51:
In a few years I want to try the Rift as well as soon as there are 4K versions (i.e. 1080p *per eye* instead of 1080p divided by two like the first retail kit) but until then I'm finding it easy as pie to wait since the experience is just going to suck with the lesser initial models.

How do you expect to get a frame rate at 4K, or even 1440p (1280x1440 per eye)? The reports I've heard are that you need to be hitting 90 FPS consistently. I typically aim to average 80 or 90 FPS but that's with dips to 50 - 60 quite frequently, at just over 1080p. I will have to turn down quite a few settings to use the Rift at 1080p, on a decent system (Intel i7 3.5Ghz, 2x Nvidia GeForce 660). Given the low resolution (and despite my excitement for the Rift, this is a concern to me), I'll also want good anti-aliasing and texture filtering. For 1080p at >90FPS, I'm not going to have a lot of power left for any other features.

I think the wisest thing for them is to release a 1080p version as soon as they reasonably can, at a price which makes it affordable to a large enough audience for word of mouth to spread outside the geek world. Even if 1440p is available, it's probably not worth going for in the near future.

If/when the Rift is a success, then they should add to it. I'm sure they have plenty of ideas and will find plenty of issues when it's released so as well as tightening up other features, they will surely boost the resolution.

A dev kit is a tempting but I'm not going to go for it. Unless initial reports are disastrous I will buy the first commercial version and probably future ones. I can definitely understand waiting and I fully expect the Rift 1 will have some problems and it's a strong possibility that it won't be usable as more than a novelty. But what a novelty!

- Quboid

31. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 18:31 Kosumo

Star Citizen adds Oculus Rift support into your wallet.  

30. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 16:42 Jamil20

The only thing that pisses me off about the Rift, is the lack of communication coming out of Oculus Labs. It started off as a Kickstarter project, but now that they've secured private funding they've completely shut the doors to the outside world. This thing is supposed to be released in a few months. It still looks like they're in the design phase.  

29. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 16:33 saluk

Pr()ZaC wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:35:
Not related but I'd like to see the VR solution from Valve. Devs say it's pretty good.

Some of valve's work influenced the changes in the oculus. Nice to see that they are helping each other rather than competing.

28. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 16:09 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 14:57:
gray wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:11:
I find this an odd announcement as it's been working for me the whole time, Crytek added support at an engine level a while back.

Shhhh. No one was supposed to notice.

Hell of a million dollar stretch goal.

27. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 14:57 HorrorScope

gray wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:11:
I find this an odd announcement as it's been working for me the whole time, Crytek added support at an engine level a while back.

Shhhh. No one was supposed to notice.

26. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 14:51 CJ_Parker

Tumbler wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 10:31:
I want to buy a 1080p rift but who knows when that will be out. Really tempting to buy a dev kit model now rather than wait.

What exactly is "tempting" about a shitty experience including screen door effect, motion sickness and a lack of wear comfort? Granted, none of these issues will totally go away with the 1080p retail version but they should be much reduced hopefully.
In a few years I want to try the Rift as well as soon as there are 4K versions (i.e. 1080p *per eye* instead of 1080p divided by two like the first retail kit) but until then I'm finding it easy as pie to wait since the experience is just going to suck with the lesser initial models.

25. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 14:25 Cutter

Shataan wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 10:00:
Hey lets add future support for a periferal that's still vapourware for the general masses. Imho until anyone who wants an Oculus can buy an Oculus off the shelf, then the Oculus is just a buzzword.

Spot on.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 14:09 Pigeon

Quboid wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:57:
Jamil20 wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:45:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 09:22:
FTA: KNOWN ISSUE You may be able to get a better picture by setting the resolution to the native Oculus Rift resolution (1280800)

Virtual reality, in its current, past and near future forms, is laughable and a distraction.

That's an unfair assessment.
That is the native resolution of the developer kit's screen. The consumer version will be at least a 1080p screen, perhaps 1440p.

This is about the most innovation in gaming we're getting now-a-days. The xbone and ps4 aren't pushing any limits of modern hardware. That's our performance target for the next 5 years otherwise.

For some reason some people are really keen to shit on the Rift. Also on Star Citizen, for that matter. I have my doubts and concerns with both, SC in particular, but I consider them both to be exciting projects which could be brilliant.

Everyone that I have heard from who has actually tried the damn thing has absolutely loved it. Even people who can only wear it for a short period (and that internal 1080p prototype I mentioned should help a lot) are talking about it changing gaming. Nausea and resolution are the two complaints that I've heard, they've made progress on both but I'm sure the Rift 1 and probably the Rift 2, 3 and 4 if they exist will still have some issues on both counts.

I think it bodes well for Rift every-time you hear about a company adding support for it. A lot of gaming peripherals/gimmicks fail on launch because they only have a few token games that support on launch. The more support they have at launch the more likely it'll be a successful product. Its good for the consumer and the company, so not really sure why some people seem to get so angry when they see games working on Rift support.

23. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 12:57 Quboid

Jamil20 wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:45:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 09:22:
FTA: KNOWN ISSUE You may be able to get a better picture by setting the resolution to the native Oculus Rift resolution (1280800)

Virtual reality, in its current, past and near future forms, is laughable and a distraction.

That's an unfair assessment.
That is the native resolution of the developer kit's screen. The consumer version will be at least a 1080p screen, perhaps 1440p.

This is about the most innovation in gaming we're getting now-a-days. The xbone and ps4 aren't pushing any limits of modern hardware. That's our performance target for the next 5 years otherwise.

For some reason some people are really keen to shit on the Rift. Also on Star Citizen, for that matter. I have my doubts and concerns with both, SC in particular, but I consider them both to be exciting projects which could be brilliant.

Everyone that I have heard from who has actually tried the damn thing has absolutely loved it. Even people who can only wear it for a short period (and that internal 1080p prototype I mentioned should help a lot) are talking about it changing gaming. Nausea and resolution are the two complaints that I've heard, they've made progress on both but I'm sure the Rift 1 and probably the Rift 2, 3 and 4 if they exist will still have some issues on both counts.

- Quboid

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo