Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Years ago I mentioned a quest for the legendary Kosher for Passover Coca-Cola, which is apparently made with sugar, rather than high-fructose corn syrup. I never succeeded at this, though I did eventually locate the sugar-based Mexican Coke. In what was a completely unrelated thought, last weekend I had the impulse to pick up some Fox's U-Bet syrup to be properly equipped to make egg creams. I picked up a bottle of the chocolate and strawberry syrups, and each noted that the corn syrup ingredient is swapped out in favor of sugar during Passover, and vaguely recalling that we are getting into Easter/Passover season I checked, and sure enough, this is the sugar variety, which was pretty cool. By the way, for the record, I don't think HFC is worse for you than sugar (they are each treats, neither is health food), I just find things sweetened with sugar to taste better.

Sweet Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Error Zone.
Wish Totems - Level Pack One.
Jake Renegade Freedom Flight.
Links: Brand New Art from Calvin and Hobbes Creator Bill Watterson!. Thanks nin.
8 Surprising Historical Facts That Will Change Your Concept Of Time Forever.
Science: How computer-generated fake papers are flooding academia.
Store Receipts on Thermal Paper Can Transfer BPA.
Media: How Batman Begins Should Have Ended.
Watch Seth Rogen's Emotional Senate Testimony About Alzheimer's. Thanks nin.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

13. Re: Prove to me you are a total Geek Feb 28, 2014, 13:17 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 13:10:
Does that issue occurs on all win7-64 OS'es in your company, or just that one that you're using?
As far as I can tell, any 64-bit Win7 behind one of these VPN tunnels which doesn't have the work around in place. Which is setting a lower MTU or MSS, as described in the Cisco document. Two Win7 64-bit boxes, a Win7 VM, and a 64-bit Fedora install. Also tried IE, Chrome, and FF -- unreachable sites stays consistent across boxes and browsers.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 13:11 Bodolza

InBlack wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 09:50:
HFC on the other hand is nearly 100% fructose

I don't know where you're getting your info from, but you should get it somewhere else, cause this is very wrong. The most common forms of HFCS are 55% fructose and 42%. So HFCS is either very close or has LESS fructose than regular sugar.

What you really want to stay away from is Agave syrup, which can be up to 90% fructose.

11. Re: Prove to me you are a total Geek Feb 28, 2014, 13:10 Creston

Does that issue occurs on all win7-64 OS'es in your company, or just that one that you're using?  

10. Prove to me you are a total Geek Feb 28, 2014, 12:28 Mr. Tact

This isn't necessary a great place for this question, but this is really the only on-line forum I interact with on a regular basis. So, I'm going to throw this out there on a one in a million shot that someone here will read this and know what is going on.

I've been having an issue here at work with my brand new 64-bit Win7 laptop not being able to browse to a seemingly random selection of web-sites. For example, I could get you google.com but not yahoo.com.

After 4 weeks of effort we figured out "what" is happening, but not "why". The office is connected via VPN tunnel, which means everything gets GRE and IPSec encapsulation. So, some sites would send packets near or at the MTU max of 1500 bytes and with the "df" flag set (don't fragment). When those returning packs hit the outside router after encapsulation they were too big to fit through the tunnel, but since the "df" flag was set, the router could not break the packet up into multiple packets. The router would send an ICMP message to the server to send smaller packets, but that message gets blocked by a firewall. Hence, the server never gets notified to send smaller packets and the browser effectively hangs.

This is described in this Cisco document.

Interestingly, this happens on 64-bit Win7 and a fresh 64-bit Fedora installation -- but does not happen on a 32-bit Win7 or a 32-bit XP installation.

So, the question is this: Why do some internal and external websites, but not others, send packets over 1436 bytes with a df flag to 64-bit OSes and but not to 32-bit OSes?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 12:22 Capella

Truthfully, I believe it is something that Gilligan and Mary Ann would drink.

Ah I see I am not the only one watching Gilligan's Island reruns on TVLand these days.

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 11:33 DV

Ratty wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 11:05:
Egg creams. Oo la la. Aren't we hoity toity today. I have no idea what egg creams are but it sounds like something Thurston and Lovey would be sipping.

Truthfully, I believe it is something that Gilligan and Mary Ann would drink. The making of a great eggcream is something of a lost art. Damn im jonesing for an eggcream now....Thanks Blue.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 11:26  Blue 

Egg creams. Oo la la. Aren't we hoity toity today. I have no idea what egg creams are but it sounds like something Thurston and Lovey would be sipping.

Hardly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_cream

An egg cream is a beverage consisting of milk, and soda water as well as vanilla or chocolate syrup, and is especially associated with Brooklyn, home of its alleged inventor, late 19th-century candy store owner Louis Auster. Most modern versions of the drink contain neither eggs nor cream.

The egg cream is almost exclusively a fountain drink. Although there have been several attempts to bottle it, none has been wholly successful, as its fresh taste and characteristic head require mixing of the ingredients just before drinking.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 11:21 harlock

not fancy, its just like 100 years old

and btw, hfc is worse for you, but also the manufacturing process is adding another layer of cheap and nasty thats not really highly regulated or anything, with fda "tolerable" levels of all kinds of impurities and so forth

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 11:15 Creston

By the way, for the record, I don't think HFC is worse for you than sugar

It is, though.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 11:05 Ratty

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 10:37 nin

8 Surprising Historical Facts That Will Change Your Concept Of Time Forever.

Wow, pretty crazy stuff there...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 10:34 SirKnight

Yeah, HFC is definitely worse gram for gram than regular sugar.

There's been many studies for a long time showing the HFC group gained more weight, significantly, than the sugar group even though the grams and calories and everything were equal.

There was a doctor back in the 60's (can't recall his name) that warned against HFC, but few believed him at the time. He was right all along.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 09:50 InBlack

Sugar is indeed healthier than corn syrup. Processed cane sugar is processed by the human body roughly into 50/50 fructose and glucose. As we all know fructose is the 'bad' sugar that is processed in the liver, and is very bad for the liver. HFC on the other hand is nearly 100% fructose and is roughly twice as bad for humans as regular household cane sugar.  

I have a nifty blue line!

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo