Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Years ago I mentioned a quest for the legendary Kosher for Passover Coca-Cola, which is apparently made with sugar, rather than high-fructose corn syrup. I never succeeded at this, though I did eventually locate the sugar-based Mexican Coke. In what was a completely unrelated thought, last weekend I had the impulse to pick up some Fox's U-Bet syrup to be properly equipped to make egg creams. I picked up a bottle of the chocolate and strawberry syrups, and each noted that the corn syrup ingredient is swapped out in favor of sugar during Passover, and vaguely recalling that we are getting into Easter/Passover season I checked, and sure enough, this is the sugar variety, which was pretty cool. By the way, for the record, I don't think HFC is worse for you than sugar (they are each treats, neither is health food), I just find things sweetened with sugar to taste better.

Sweet Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Error Zone.
Wish Totems - Level Pack One.
Jake Renegade Freedom Flight.
Links: Brand New Art from Calvin and Hobbes Creator Bill Watterson!. Thanks nin.
8 Surprising Historical Facts That Will Change Your Concept Of Time Forever.
Science: How computer-generated fake papers are flooding academia.
Store Receipts on Thermal Paper Can Transfer BPA.
Media: How Batman Begins Should Have Ended.
Watch Seth Rogen's Emotional Senate Testimony About Alzheimer's. Thanks nin.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2014, 10:24 xXBatmanXx

Late night for Blue? Sugar coma? Update? bueller?  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2014, 02:00 Creston

I'll have to try one, but it sounds kinda weird.  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 23:40 Agent.X7

1badmf wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 22:06:
is it... is it good? what does such a thing even taste like?!? such odd customs you have, you east coast foreigners.

It's sparkling water, chocolate syrup (I used Hershey's. Heretic, I know) and milk. (Supposed to be whole, I like half and half. Again, I am a heretic.) Mix a cup of milk with chocolate syrup to taste, add a cup of sparkling water. (Seltzer, whatever)

It tastes...well, good. Some people say it's like bubbly chocolate milk, but it's really not. The carbonation gives it a big head of foam and the tastes really meld into something else.

The important thing is that I loved it as a kid, and now my daughter has gotten to try it, and she likes it too. So thanks, Blue, for reminding me about egg creams.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

30. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 23:31 nin

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 20:51:
I just want you all to know that I am now sitting here drinking an egg cream because Blue infected my brain with a craving.

Said it before, but it bears repeating: I love the way OotB has a different random topic each day.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 23:28 xXBatmanXx

ESO key for this weekend - live right now.

9F7CJFGKGAXYNETKPARK

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 22:06 1badmf

is it... is it good? what does such a thing even taste like?!? such odd customs you have, you east coast foreigners.  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 20:51 Agent.X7

I just want you all to know that I am now sitting here drinking an egg cream because Blue infected my brain with a craving.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 19:14 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 17:43:
ARMAGARD! UNCHARTED COLLECTION FOR PS4! HEAD EXPLODED!

http://tinyurl.com/nrxdoky

Now if they'd only release the FFX HD remake on the PS4 as well, I'd be fucking SET.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 19:13 Creston

PHJF wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 15:44:
I make the best pancakes around, and you know what goes in em?

SPLENDA!

I thought for sure you were going to say "LOVE!"

Sigh

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 18:49 Hoop

nin wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 15:22:
have fun!

Thanks might have too much fun so photos could be a problem.

Um .. Behind you...

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 17:50 nin

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 17:43:

Rumor rumor...

Having said that, I'd buy it.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 17:43 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 15:44 PHJF

I make the best pancakes around, and you know what goes in em?

SPLENDA!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 15:26 Agent.X7

Ratty wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 11:05:
Egg creams. Oo la la. Aren't we hoity toity today. I have no idea what egg creams are but it sounds like something Thurston and Lovey would be sipping.

I guess you have to be from NY or nearby to appreciate an egg cream. It's not fancy at all, it's an old fashioned drink from the days when you went to a soda shop to buy ice cream sundaes. My grandfather used to make them, and they are AWESOME.

So, yeah, thanks a lot, Blue. Now I have to look for stuff to make some. Oh well, at least my daughter will get to experience them. (Although I'm in NC now, so I will get the same reaction. You want to make a what?)

Also, re: HFCS
The only readily verifiable fact is that your body processes HFCS differently than sugar. Cane sugar is 50/50 fructose/glucose bound by a weak glycosidic bond. A disaccharide. Your body has to work to digest it and break it apart to use it.

HFCS is a liquid mixture of two monosaccharides, and your body sends the sugars straight to your liver and bloodstream.

There are on-going debates and studies, but nothing conclusive. People on the both sides of the argument have "proof" but nothing really concrete. Most of the negativity is by people who cannot fathom that correlation does NOT equal causation. Most of the positivity is generated by the industry that produces HFCS.

Myself? I avoid it. Like Blue, I hate the taste. (I grew up when Pepsi was made with sugar, and I definitely noticed when they switched.) I tend to be skeptical, but I am more skeptical of the obvious financial backing of the corn industry. (Although certain doctors have profited handsomely from their attacks on HFCS with book deals and such.)

Disclaimer - I was as alarmed as anyone when they started really pushing the HFCS negative campaign a few years back. Then I did a bunch of research into it and came to the conclusion that there IS no conclusion and it's all mostly noise right now. Still, I prefer natural sugar to manufactured sugar in much the same way that I prefer fresh bread to bread loaded with preservatives.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 15:22 nin

Hoop wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 15:20:
Bruce Springsteen concert tonight, first time hearing him live.

Oh, nice! I have a friend who's a huge fan. If you get any pics, feel free to link them later...

Have fun!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 15:20 Hoop

Bruce Springsteen concert tonight, first time hearing him live.  

Um .. Behind you...

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 14:58 Cutter

I've never had an egg cream though I've seen them made on the television a few times over the years. Sounds interesting. I'd like to try one.

And yes, not only should you avoid HFCS but processed sugar too. I always and only use organic cane sugar or organic raw honey. Both of which actually do have some health benefits too them - and are hella tastier anyway.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 13:46 nin

Ratty wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 13:20:
Blue wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 11:26:
An egg cream is a beverage consisting of milk, and soda water as well as vanilla or chocolate syrup, and is especially associated with Brooklyn, home of its alleged inventor, late 19th-century candy store owner Louis Auster. Most modern versions of the drink contain neither eggs nor cream.
Mmm. That does sound tasty. Let me just ring for my servants. Oh Barclay ... be a chap and whip us up one of your egg crémes.

I've never heard of it...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 13:39 Ratty

Capella wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:22:
Ah I see I am not the only one watching Gilligan's Island reruns on TVLand these days.
The episode where Maryann thinks she's Ginger is on my DVR waiting to be watched.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 13:20 Ratty

Blue wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 11:26:
An egg cream is a beverage consisting of milk, and soda water as well as vanilla or chocolate syrup, and is especially associated with Brooklyn, home of its alleged inventor, late 19th-century candy store owner Louis Auster. Most modern versions of the drink contain neither eggs nor cream.
Mmm. That does sound tasty. Let me just ring for my servants. Oh Barclay ... be a chap and whip us up one of your egg crémes.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo