Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 28, 2014, 01:11 harlock

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 23:45:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 12:54:
My point was that within the next 5-10 years where will these consoles be in terms of performance if they are having issues running games on today's standard resolution.
Sony and Microsoft made these consoles to last nearly 10 years, but I am having a really hard seeing that happen with the current hardware specs these machines have.

Yep. They got the ram right but totally blew raw performance.

you get what you pay for, if you only bought 400$ of pc components you wouldnt get much there either

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 23:45 HorrorScope

My point was that within the next 5-10 years where will these consoles be in terms of performance if they are having issues running games on today's standard resolution.
Sony and Microsoft made these consoles to last nearly 10 years, but I am having a really hard seeing that happen with the current hardware specs these machines have.

Yep. They got the ram right but totally blew raw performance.

34. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 18:08 PropheT

Panickd wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 13:19:
So 4K gaming will be a PC only thing for the foreseeable future and as someone who games primarily on the PC, I am totally OK with that.

4K gaming isn't even realistic on current PC hardware, at least in any single-card configuration. It'll be a while before it's even realistic to say it's a common option on PC, and with the new gen of consoles not using it I doubt it'll be a major factor even on PC at any point during their life span.

The displays aren't there yet, the video cards to drive it aren't there yet, and the games to utilize it aren't around yet and with nothing to really get people to buy into it even a few years from now it's unlikely to happen. It's just not affordable enough and there's no real driver to change its adoption rate right now.

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 15:24 nin

JSP wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 15:02:
ITS 1080p PEOPLE WHATS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS JEEZ

Only in the menu screen

You jest, but I've seen painful threads on reddit, where people don't know the difference between native 1080p and a lower rez upscaled to 1080p.

"MY TV SEZ 1080! IT'S 1080!!!!!!!!"

"Yes, but..."

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 15:02 JSP

ITS 1080p PEOPLE WHATS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS JEEZ

Only in the menu screen

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 13:53 avianflu

With both new consoles doing mostly 30 uneven frames (per Digital Foundry's various articles on the matter), it is a "race to the bottom" for both consoles. 1080p is not even half of the issue.

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 13:33 nin

Shataan wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 13:29:
I don`t see what the freaking secret is. Either it`s going to release with a 1080p rez or it isn`t. Instead of saying the rumours are false, then man up and give a definitive answer = yes it will release on consoles at 1080p, or no it won`t. *sheesh*

What`s the big secret?

That big gorilla in the microsoft shirt standing directly behind them?

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 13:30 nin

Xil wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 12:50:
nin wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 09:08:
Someone get major nelson in here for damage control!

So, without going into details, I found out yesterday I've come into some unexpected money. And for all of 10-15 seconds, I considered buying an xbone (specifically the titanfall bundle).

Then I was like "na, who am I kidding? I'm not rewarding those fucks."

just the fact you even thought about it Nin.... so /sad

I know...I'm a sucker for gadgets. Maybe I'll get one after I exhaust my entire steam library/ps3 library/ps4 library (IE never).

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 13:30 CJ_Parker

So, without going into details, I found out yesterday I've come into some unexpected money. And for all of 10-15 seconds, I considered buying an xbone (specifically the titanfall bundle).

/cigar
/beer
/hookers
/blow

PC gamers 'round the world are pretty goddamn motherfucking proud of you on this glorious day, son!

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 13:29 Shataan

I don`t see what the freaking secret is. Either it`s going to release with a 1080p rez or it isn`t. Instead of saying the rumours are false, then man up and give a definitive answer = yes it will release on consoles at 1080p, or no it won`t. *sheesh*

What`s the big secret?

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 13:19 Panickd

Of course there is not much in terms of 4k content right now but do you think this will be the case in 5 years?

In terms of filmed entertainment I suspect the next 5 years will be packed to the gills with 4K choices. But in terms of gaming, not so much. This generation of consoles is going to be much like the last in terms of being the lowest common denominator. Now do I think the XBone will always have problems hitting 1080p output? No. Once the developers have had a few years with it I suspect they'll be able to easily coax 1080p out of it at an acceptable framerate. But neither the PS4 nor the XBone is going to be capable of gaming at 4K. And looking at the current crop of video cards that are out there that were likely to be considered for these "next gen" consoles I think it's ludicrous that that was ever a rumor.

So 4K gaming will be a PC only thing for the foreseeable future and as someone who games primarily on the PC, I am totally OK with that.

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 12:54 SpectralMeat

Panickd wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 12:35:
Beamer wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 10:29:
4k is utterly worthless on a tv unless you're about a foot away or its 100", so don't expect that to matter much. On monitors sure, but not tvs.

4K? They can't even comfortably hit 1080p with these new consoles. Even the PS4 has problems doing it in single player content when the machine has to worry about things like AI. I suspect 4K video content will be another story though (not that there is much of that right now either).

Even modern PCs struggle to game at 4K. It will probably be a year before we get decent 4K monitors and graphics cards beefy enough to push them that don't require enough electricity to power a third world nation.
Prime example is above here with the Xbone having trouble running a game that uses an ancient engine at 1080p resolution.

Of course there is not much in terms of 4k content right now but do you think this will be the case in 5 years?

Steam: SpectralMeat

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 12:50 Xil

just the fact you even thought about it Nin.... so /sad

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 12:35 Panickd

4k is utterly worthless on a tv unless you're about a foot away or its 100", so don't expect that to matter much. On monitors sure, but not tvs.

4K? They can't even comfortably hit 1080p with these new consoles. Even the PS4 has problems doing it in single player content when the machine has to worry about things like AI. I suspect 4K video content will be another story though (not that there is much of that right now either).

Even modern PCs struggle to game at 4K. It will probably be a year before we get decent 4K monitors and graphics cards beefy enough to push them that don't require enough electricity to power a third world nation.

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 12:21 NegaDeath

Needs more cloud.  

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 11:20 Creston

Well of course it isn't. Is anyone still surprised about that decrepit piece of shit not having the power to do anything?  

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 11:15 Beamer

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 11:11:
I think it will matter a lot more than 3D matters, but we will see how it shapes up to be in the next few years.
I don't believe 1080p is the resolution that will stick around for the next 5-10 years.

It will matter more than 3D, but it won't truly matter. 20/20 vision isn't good enough for it to matter on our current TV sizes and current TV viewing distances. It only matters if we get closer to the TVs (as stores will make sure we do) or if we buy giant TVs. For an 80" TV you have to be 5 feet away to see the full benefit of 4K. Granted, you see some benefits up to 10 feet away, but it doesn't make a big impact until at 5 foot spot. No one wants to be five feet from an 80" TV.
For a much more common 55" TV, you need to be 3.5' away.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 11:11 SpectralMeat

I think it will matter a lot more than 3D matters, but we will see how it shapes up to be in the next few years.
I don't believe 1080p is the resolution that will stick around for the next 5-10 years.

Steam: SpectralMeat

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 10:59 Verno

Didn't they already say it was 900p?  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 10:33 xXBatmanXx

HOOKERS AND BLOW!

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo