Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll

The Roberts Space Industries website has a poll gauging interest from Star Citizen backers in them holding a limited sale this weekend of the Mustang, the alternate starter ship that was funded as a stretch goal back when the game had a mere $28 million in crowd-funding. Apparently none of the coding for the ship is done yet (of course, neither is the game), but word is: "Since that reveal, we’ve been inundated by support tickets demanding that we sell these new ships immediately." So here's their question:

We initially opted not to sell the Mustang alongside the announcement because it is still in the concept stages. The ship has not been built in 3D in the CryEngine yet, and they will likely not appear in your Hangar for several months. There’s no cool commercial or slate of variants yet, either. But the demand has been higher than we’ve ever seen for a prototype ship before, and so we’ve decided to leave the decision in your hands.

As promised, when we launch the Mustang, existing LTI Aurora users will be allowed to swap their ships for Mustangs. An LTI Mustang badge will be distributed to everyone with a qualifying Aurora, allowing them to melt the old ship for store credit and purchase an LTI Mustang.

Should we offer the Mustang as a limited sale this weekend? Vote below to decide!

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 18:38 PropheT

{PH}88fingers wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 18:21:
since when do games that are 50% complete or whatever % they are at complete are required to have SOMETHING PLAYABLE or else is a scam or a runaway train wreck or whatever else...?

and lets not forget no one is forcing anyone to pledge more money.
The base game can be bought for $30 bucks.

All the hate this game gets is pretty hilarious...

I don't think anyone is hating on the game, it's just a little crazy that there's DLC for a game that isn't even out yet.

When 9 out of 10 crowdfunded projects over-promise and under-deliver you're going to raise eyebrows when selling additional content during development for a game that hasn't been made yet. I don't see this as being much different than people being upset about on-disc DLC, it's parts that are being made along with the main game but are being sold alongside it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 18:33 jdreyer

I don't think Chris would have his team go through the effort of building the hanger, the ships, the trailers, setting up server architecture, etc. unless they were truly going to make a game. I don't think it's a grift. It has been 1.5 years since the KS, which is a long time, but they're trying to make an AAA game for a bargain price, so it will take a bit longer. The dogfighting module will come out in a couple months, and that will be the true litmus test of this project. Hard to see how it lives up to people's expectations though.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

30. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 18:21 {PH}88fingers

since when do games that are 50% complete or whatever % they are at complete are required to have SOMETHING PLAYABLE or else is a scam or a runaway train wreck or whatever else...?

and lets not forget no one is forcing anyone to pledge more money.
The base game can be bought for $30 bucks.

All the hate this game gets is pretty hilarious...

On a brighter note, Oculus Rift support was added today to the Hangar.
- cue the insults about the hangar not being a game.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2014, 18:28.

29. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 18:14 FloorPie

I want a pony, a my little space pony. Please Chairman Roberts, please.  

28. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 18:00 Panickd

Nom4d wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 17:28:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 17:14:
Panickd wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 15:55:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 10:23:
Lets see how we can make more money, thus increasing scope.

The signs of a never ending, never finished project are popping up every week.

The scope of the game thus far (with all of it's stretch goals) seems unfathomably wide already, which doesn't generally work out well in the end for most would be games.

And I am pretty sure they always intended the game to be one of those ongoing never finished, only abandoned works of "art". But I would at least like something playable. This endless parade of "hey we got more money so we're making the game even bigger!" when they haven't actually shown anything playable yet was already becoming a farce but this just takes it to a whole new level.

Yup, anyone who has ever been a part of a very troubled project can see where this is going. Usually it is external factors (executives, marketing, the board, etc) that puts ridiculous requests in that doom a project - these idiots are just doing it to themselves.

This won't end well.

For those who have been paying attention, Chris Robberts has said that some of the promised features will probably not be in at the launch of the game (See a few of the '10 for the Chairman' episodes for example). The intention is to keep content and features coming in for a long time after launch. I get the feeling that a lot of people have their expectations all wrong. Also entitlement and impatience.

In order for them to continuously build in features after launch they actually have to launch something. Continuously promising more, more, more when you haven't actually shown anything playable off yet points to all kinds of bad in the future. They need to buckle down and deliver something, anything, that can be played for all the money they've been taking in.

I like Chris Roberts and I am a huge fan of his previous work but the constant promising and backtracking and selling of nothing is worrying.

27. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 17:55 harlock

For those who have been paying attention, Chris Robberts has said that some of the promised features will probably not be in at the launch of the game (See a few of the '10 for the Chairman' episodes for example). The intention is to keep content and features coming in for a long time after launch. I get the feeling that a lot of people have their expectations all wrong. Also entitlement and impatience.

dont forget a lack of reading comprehension.. because, as we all know.. this is clearly stated

26. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 17:35 xXBatmanXx

The scope of the game thus far (with all of it's stretch goals) seems unfathomably wide already, which doesn't generally work out well in the end for most would be games.

And I am pretty sure they always intended the game to be one of those ongoing never finished, only abandoned works of "art". But I would at least like something playable. This endless parade of "hey we got more money so we're making the game even bigger!" when they haven't actually shown anything playable yet was already becoming a farce but this just takes it to a whole new level.

Yup, anyone who has ever been a part of a very troubled project can see where this is going. Usually it is external factors (executives, marketing, the board, etc) that puts ridiculous requests in that doom a project - these idiots are just doing it to themselves.

This won't end well.

I don't have anything wrong. I also don't have entitlement or impatience. The outcome of the project means zero to me - I am not buying it. But my experience (vast) in projects (very large scale and small scale) just allows me to see through the BS and know that they have probably lost their way. Given too much money and probably continually changing direction.

I hope for the best for anyone who gave them money - but I sure as shit wouldn't be surprised if the game is released and it is garbage only to be promised "oh hay, don't worry, it is coming".

/shit - 3 posts from you and all in this thread. Fell for it.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

25. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 17:28 Nom4d

This won't end well.

24. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 17:14 xXBatmanXx

This won't end well.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

23. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 16:55 Kosumo

winston149 wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 16:42:

If after physical copies of the game are shipped to backers, there is some substantial shortcoming in features or stability, then we can start bitching.

Fuck that, I'm bitching now in the hopes that it may save someone their money.*

*you can buy it after its done.**

** Ok, I know, it will never be done.

22. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 16:42 winston149

...And I am pretty sure they always intended the game to be one of those ongoing never finished, only abandoned works of "art". But I would at least like something playable. This endless parade of "hey we got more money so we're making the game even bigger!" when they haven't actually shown anything playable yet was already becoming a farce but this just takes it to a whole new level.

Come on now. Feature creep is a legitimate concern, but the game is planned for development at least until some time in 2015. Of course there is no playable game yet. And even that target is just an estimate.

If after physical copies of the game are shipped to backers, there is some substantial shortcoming in features or stability, then we can start bitching.

21. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 16:34 Rossini

I'm waiting for the stretch goal that allows me to play as a gun-toting bubblegum-chewing misogynist with a penchant for one-liners before I fork over my dough.  

20. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 15:55 Panickd

19. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 14:35 Ludomancer

It is amazing how readily people will give their money away. I'm expecting this game to out-DNF the real Duke Nukem Forever.

18. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 14:17 Tipsy McStagger

Ugh, I'm starting to regret putting 140$ pledge towards this game. I feel like it's turned into a crazy train of retarded BACK MORE GET MORE!!! They've said things like 'This won't affect squadron 42 release date, play, etc' but I feel like it's turning this whole idea into a jumbled mess of extra features/additions.  

17. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 13:57 CJ_Parker

Illumin wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 11:47:
Well if people want to buy it then let them, but why would anyone want to buy a starter ship?

Lots of people just "collect" ships by now. They don't even care about purpose or usability. They just buy them.

Other than that I'm not really sure either.
If you decide to play (and finish) the Squadron 42 single player campaign then you will exit the campaign with enough credits to either afford an Aurora or a Mustang so I guess buying a starter ship in advance will just net you more starter credits.
Almost the same for someone who does not play Squadron 42 at all. They will start with the ship from their game package (lowest tier = Aurora) and the Mustang is kind of redundant. Might be nice to have a choice or sell either ship for credits but yes it's fairly unnecessary to have both starter ships.

Wouldn't this be your basic ship that you will be using all the time as a default ship when all others are destroyed?

Not quite the way it works. You're going to always want to insure your ships. Some people have lifetime insurance (LTI - veteran backers) and others will have standard hull insurance (SHI) that's good for a few months or up to a year is the longest contract I believe.
Now whenever you get blown up you respawn at the nearest space station's or planet's med bay with a new ship waiting for you at the landing pad as long as you got blown up in a "common" ship. The starter ships are definitely going to be considered "common".
There may be a waiting time for the delivery of a new ship if you get blown up in a "rare" ship (e.g. Idris Corvette). In that case you are going to have to revert to one of your other (common or rare) ships or rent a ship and run missions either until your replacement is ready or until you can afford a new ship.

16. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 13:52 Nom4d

InBlack wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 12:25:
Nom4d wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 11:55:
nin wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 09:26:
"Another limited ship! So rare! Be the envy of all your friends! Get it now before it's gone - FOREVER!*"

(*not really)

Except nothing of what you said is actually a thing. It clearly states it's going to be on sale later on when it's a more finished product and it's a startership which is hardly going to inspire envy.

The exception was the sale in December which was the end of LTI and pretty much a one time thing by the looks of it.

Oh the sweet irony...

I don't think the word irony means what you think it means. So what's your major problem with this then? That it's not a 3d model yet? Don't think the people who want to buy the ship (the money is not forced from their wallets after all) have an issue with that.

15. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 13:40 nin

El Pit wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 13:35:
"The ship has not been built in 3D in the CryEngine yet, and they will likely not appear in your Hangar for several months."

HOT AIR! Bags of HOT AIR! Come and get 'em! Limited time offer, limited amount of bags!

They should just drop all pretenses and say "Look, you want to give us some more money?" And people will do it!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 13:35 El Pit

"The ship has not been built in 3D in the CryEngine yet, and they will likely not appear in your Hangar for several months."

HOT AIR! Bags of HOT AIR! Come and get 'em! Limited time offer, limited amount of bags!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

13. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 13:12 Iurand

nin wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 09:26:
"Another limited ship! So rare! Be the envy of all your friends! Get it now before it's gone - FOREVER!*"

(*not really)

It's a starter ship.

Nathos wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 11:20:
I think what Chris is trying to tell everyone is that he's burning through cash faster than a Kardashian,

Current rate is around 2m per month.

Illumin wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 11:47:
Well if people want to buy it then let them, but why would anyone want to buy a starter ship? Wouldn't this be your basic ship that you will be using all the time as a default ship when all others are destroyed?

It's not Eve-Online, starter ships aren't supposed to be garbage.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo