Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling

Eurogamer has a statement confirming a rumor that Blizzard will begin selling the ability to boost characters to level 90 for $60.00 in World of Warcraft, their MMORPG. "We realised as soon as we came out with Warlords of Draenor boost to 90, we knew that there was going to be demand for more than 1," WoW lead encounter designer Ion Hazzikostas explained. "It's tremendously awkward to tell someone that you should buy two copies of the expansion just to get a second 90. That's odd. So we knew at that point we were going to have to offer it as a separate service." So there's their reasoning, though this raises the question of what they plan on charging for Warlords of Draenor.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

14. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 22:36 KilrathiAce

Next they gonna have people or bots that can play for you as well.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 22:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

Lol, $60. I don't play WoW, but holy shit I have to admire the brass balls on whoever makes these decisions for Blizzard.

"Look, I understand playing our game is boring or even intolerable, so how about you pay full price for a brand new game, and you can skip to max level? Also, buy some mounts for $25 dollars each, you damned addicts!"

This kind of shit makes me wonder if it's time to just abandon gaming entirely. The industry is doomed to descend into bald faced greed.

*EDIT* Typo.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2014, 23:05.

12. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 21:21 Ghola

I have 15 wow toons. I kept trying different races and classes. I think they should reduce this price so players who love alts but abandoned a few can raise them up to the max or do a max level race re-roll.

Maybe stipulate a lower cost for those that have high level toons.

11. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 20:45 Prez

Fletch wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 20:26:
GameAnger wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 19:31:
Compare this to leveling an entire character to 90, I like the idea.

Isn't leveling a character supposed to be the fun/point of the game?

Exactly what my first thought was. But then I remembered that people play MMO' s for different reasons than we play single player games. If you are playing with friends it's a drag for everyone involved to play together with characters of vastly different levels.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 20:26 Fletch

Compare this to leveling an entire character to 90, I like the idea.

Isn't leveling a character supposed to be the fun/point of the game?

9. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 20:18 Redmask

I think I'd just rather play a game where it doesn't feel like work to do anything except the bleeding edge content.  

8. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 20:02 Leper

Personally $60 to me is less than 2 hours work. Compare this to leveling an entire character to 90, I like the idea.

Look at it from another way: how much work is this on their end? Near zero. You're paying them with 2 hours of what I'm assuming is hard work for an automated process to run in a fraction of a second. That's on top of what you're already giving them every month. And why? I honestly don't know because I don't play this game.

7. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 19:52 NKD

Talisorn wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 18:56:
Cutter wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 18:30:
I so fucking hate Actiblizz now. It actually makes me froth up black bile from the pits of Hell when I even think about them. If Bobby Nodick died of hemorrhoids tomorrow I'd break out the champagne.

So clearly you don't have a strong opinion on the subject?

Which is ironic since all he does is bag the game / company, yet isnt subbed.

Personally $60 to me is less than 2 hours work. Compare this to leveling an entire character to 90, I like the idea.

Sadly I have 6 over 85 characters. Like Fuck am I paying $60 to increase 3 or 4 bloody levels though

I really like this idea as well. Plus, people who don't play and only bitch from the sidelines wouldn't know this, but you've been able to essentially buy your way most of the way to the cap for a long time now using Refer A Friend 300% XP boost and level grants. And it cost you about $60 when all was said and done unless you caught a sale. The only hassle was running the second copy of WoW for the other character, but my friends are constantly doing this shit.

So people have been paying Blizzard for this service for a long time, just in a more convoluted manner. They are simply streamlining the process.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

6. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 19:31 GameAnger

Talisorn wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 18:56:
I so fucking hate Actiblizz now. It actually makes me froth up black bile from the pits of Hell when I even think about them. If Bobby Nodick died of hemorrhoids tomorrow I'd break out the champagne.

Which is ironic since all he does is bag the game / company, yet isnt subbed.

Sadly I have 6 over 85 characters. Like Fuck am I paying $60 to increase 3 or 4 bloody levels though

5. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 19:02 Jonny

Creston wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 18:50:
"It's tremendously awkward to tell someone that you should buy two copies of the expansion just to get a second 90

errr... wouldn't that actually be CHEAPER?

Nope, it wouldn't just be the expansion. It'd be all of WoW up to and including the expansion plus the hefty fee to move the boosted character across.

It's fairly horrendous watching WoW fans try to justify this, from trotting out the old crap about a company having the right to make money justifying everything, through calculating on a per-hour basis it's cheaper to work and do this than actually play the game, all the way up to saying everyone should be thankful to Blizzard because they could have made the price higher.

They all seem to miss the point. If Blizzard cared for the "accomplishment" of leveling or how awkward any work around would be they could just flag boosted characters and only allow one per account and If they weren't doing this to drag as much money with as little effort as possible out of their fan base they'd have added something similar to offline levels with the subscription like Age of Conan did.

4. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 18:59 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 18:50:
"It's tremendously awkward to tell someone that you should buy two copies of the expansion just to get a second 90

Well, then you'd have characters on different accounts and they don't currently allow you to transfer characters between accounts -- you would have pay for two subscriptions. SO, in the end -- the $60 is probably cheaper.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

3. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 18:56 Talisorn

2. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 18:50 Creston

1. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 18:30 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo