Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling

Eurogamer has a statement confirming a rumor that Blizzard will begin selling the ability to boost characters to level 90 for $60.00 in World of Warcraft, their MMORPG. "We realised as soon as we came out with Warlords of Draenor boost to 90, we knew that there was going to be demand for more than 1," WoW lead encounter designer Ion Hazzikostas explained. "It's tremendously awkward to tell someone that you should buy two copies of the expansion just to get a second 90. That's odd. So we knew at that point we were going to have to offer it as a separate service." So there's their reasoning, though this raises the question of what they plan on charging for Warlords of Draenor.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 27, 2014, 08:28 Mr. Tact

I have to agree, this is not pay to win. Having a character 10 levels under the level cap without any gear and no crafting skills built up is not going to "win" much in WoW.

If this kind of option had been available during the 6.5 years I played, I probably would have used it to make more crafting alts. I had some, would have liked to have more of them.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 26, 2014, 23:30 Sepharo

Look at Mr. 2-posts throwin out nicknames and psychoanalysis.  

32. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 26, 2014, 22:41 GameAnger

Cutter wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 23:11:
GameAnger wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 19:31:
Which is ironic since all he does is bag the game / company, yet isnt subbed.

Personally $60 to me is less than 2 hours work. Compare this to leveling an entire character to 90, I like the idea.

Sadly I have 6 over 85 characters. Like Fuck am I paying $60 to increase 3 or 4 bloody levels though

How is it ironic when it's based on gaming with Blizzard since they started. Back when they used to be cool.

And well aren't you the big fucking shot. Ok Mr. Big Shot, why don't you buy everyone here all the games on our Steam wishlists. You know, since it's just money and it doesn't mean anything to a big shot like you. No? Didn't think so. Keep talkin' the talk though sport, it's all you're good for.

No need to be angry Cutts, although you do it better than most.

Fact is some people have more money to spend on their hobbies than others. This is what Blizzard are using to full effect.

But as always you take it personal, then add an attack and followed up with further abuse. Dude, you really need to get out more, excercise, smell the roses, take a walk on the beach, find a GF / BF. But then without your anger, this place wouldnt be the same

I do give to charity, but not the nerd kinds

31. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 26, 2014, 13:11 nin

MattyC wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 13:08:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 23:37:
WOW is pay to win. Its finally official...not that we didn't know that already....

What are you even talking about? What is won by getting to level 90? That won't even be the cap...

Dude, look at his history. Do not engage.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

30. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 26, 2014, 13:08 MattyC

WOW is pay to win. Its finally official...not that we didn't know that already....

What are you even talking about? What is won by getting to level 90? That won't even be the cap...

29. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 26, 2014, 09:25 Dagnamit

Jackplug wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 04:13:
Whats the point in playing the game if you can just pay to get what you want in it. Its not play to win anymore, its pay to win.

This is BS, WoW is certainly not pay-to-win. Getting to level 90 is not "winning" and gives no real advantage. The only thing that people are doing is buying their time back from the game. It's an odd concept, to be sure, but that's how all hardcore MMO players see it.

There's an entire black market for WoW items that people can buy that is not sanctioned by the company. If you include the black markets, every MMO is pay-to-win, but Blizzard does not run their game like that. You still have to play it, unlike MANY other similarly situated products.

28. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 26, 2014, 08:38 Pigeon

FloorPie wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 07:55:
briktal wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 00:24:
Blackhawk wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 23:51:
For some people, yes. 1-90 is the point and the pleasure of the game. It is for me. For others, though, it is the end-game. They want the level 90 character for raiding, for heroics, for PvP.

As to 'pay to win', forget it. Someone who levels from 1 to 90 will have a huge advantage over someone who starts at 90 and has to learn dozens of skills and abilities, their interactions and rare utility from scratch.

1) Leveling isn't so bad the first time. It's not so fun the 4th or 10th time through the same content.

2) You don't use most of your abilities while leveling, you'll rarely fight a single target for more than 10-15 seconds to even get a chance to use the best rotation, and even when you do you'll probably be missing a core ability in that rotation until level 80+.

Heh, I learned awhile back they don't even give druids their mark of the wild buff until level 50-60 now.

The grind isn't so bad these days due to XP boosting gear that is account bound and can be sent across servers now too. That said, its not that much fun to me anymore unless I want just mindless grind action/distraction game time (aka diablo like).

I think ya'll have hit the issue pretty good. It usually takes a week for the majority of dedicated players to hit level max after an expansion. Or 2 days if they have no life and pull a gaming marathon. But alts are another story, as you're usually playing your main for raiding PvP and rep grinding, so leveling an alt gets tedious, and the more you have the worse it is. They should do something like the more level cap toons you have you get an increasing EXP bonus. But that would reward time investment and not a money investment.

27. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 26, 2014, 07:55 FloorPie

briktal wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 00:24:
For some people, yes. 1-90 is the point and the pleasure of the game. It is for me. For others, though, it is the end-game. They want the level 90 character for raiding, for heroics, for PvP.

As to 'pay to win', forget it. Someone who levels from 1 to 90 will have a huge advantage over someone who starts at 90 and has to learn dozens of skills and abilities, their interactions and rare utility from scratch.

1) Leveling isn't so bad the first time. It's not so fun the 4th or 10th time through the same content.

2) You don't use most of your abilities while leveling, you'll rarely fight a single target for more than 10-15 seconds to even get a chance to use the best rotation, and even when you do you'll probably be missing a core ability in that rotation until level 80+.

Heh, I learned awhile back they don't even give druids their mark of the wild buff until level 50-60 now.

The grind isn't so bad these days due to XP boosting gear that is account bound and can be sent across servers now too. That said, its not that much fun to me anymore unless I want just mindless grind action/distraction game time (aka diablo like).

26. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 26, 2014, 05:26 Luke

Get up in the morning eat go to work come home have a little fun eat sleep , next day the same....god i wish i could get rich from day one

JUST PLAY THE FUCKING GAME ALL YOU " I DON'T HAVE TIME TO PLAY " IDIOTS

Book

25. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 26, 2014, 04:13 Jackplug

Whats the point in playing the game if you can just pay to get what you want in it. Its not play to win anymore, its pay to win.  

24. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 26, 2014, 03:19 InBlack

rist3903 wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 03:10:
I do have to hand it to Blizzard, that is really impressive to have people pay you to not play your game. Kudos!

This. Also sums up what is wrong with most MMO's of today. The fun starts at endgame...(or its supposed to anyway)

I have a nifty blue line!

23. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 26, 2014, 03:10 rist3903

I do have to hand it to Blizzard, that is really impressive to have people pay you to not play your game. Kudos!

22. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 26, 2014, 02:01 Longswd

They really have just become parodies of themselves at this point.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

21. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 26, 2014, 01:54 NKD

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 22:22:
This kind of shit makes me wonder if it's time to just abandon gaming entirely. The industry is doomed to descend into bald faced greed.

Whatever their reasoning for the $60, it isn't greed. The $60 price point is too high if they are aiming for profit. It's out of reach for their more cash strapped customers to justify. It costs them basically nothing to offer these boosts, so they could afford to lower the price as much as they wanted to optimize sale price vs. number of sales. In short, if they charged $15 they'd make a lot more money overall.

Sorry, not seeing the pay-to-win here. This gives you zero advantage over someone who leveled to 90 on their own, except that it took you less time to get there. But since it isn't a race, there are no winners. There is no accomplishment in it. You're skipping over a boring grind in old boring content that requires no skill to begin with.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2014, 04:27.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

20. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 26, 2014, 00:24 briktal

19. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 23:51 Blackhawk

18. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 23:37 [VG]Reagle

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

17. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 23:11 Cutter

Which is ironic since all he does is bag the game / company, yet isnt subbed.

Personally $60 to me is less than 2 hours work. Compare this to leveling an entire character to 90, I like the idea.

Sadly I have 6 over 85 characters. Like Fuck am I paying $60 to increase 3 or 4 bloody levels though

How is it ironic when it's based on gaming with Blizzard since they started. Back when they used to be cool.

And well aren't you the big fucking shot. Ok Mr. Big Shot, why don't you buy everyone here all the games on our Steam wishlists. You know, since it's just money and it doesn't mean anything to a big shot like you. No? Didn't think so. Keep talkin' the talk though sport, it's all you're good for.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

16. No subject Feb 25, 2014, 23:05 D_K_night

Prez wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 20:45:
Fletch wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 20:26:
Compare this to leveling an entire character to 90, I like the idea.

Isn't leveling a character supposed to be the fun/point of the game?

Exactly what my first thought was. But then I remembered that people play MMO' s for different reasons than we play single player games. If you are playing with friends it's a drag for everyone involved to play together with characters of vastly different levels.

Yup absolutely true. There are people who only play Arena or PvP and need to be at level cap for the Arena season.

15. Re: Blizzard Confirms Paid WoW Leveling Feb 25, 2014, 22:57 robdot

They will charge whatever the market will bear. I'm sure they could just as easily make it a reward within the game somehow. For example , for every toon you level to 90 , you get a quest,for which the reward is something you turn in that allows you to level up another to 90.
I will never understand people who play one game for 20 hours a week, for years at a time. Or call of duty people who endlessly play the same game and the same maps, over and over.it it's completely beyond my comprehension , but, looking at sales figures and sub rates, lots of people do just that.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo