Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 25, 2014, 16:17 jdreyer

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 14:07:
Verno wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 13:41:
Yep, exactly. Without net neutrality this will eventually filter down to the user in the form of internet channels or something retarded, just watch.

I can't help but picture a Mr Burns-ish telco CEO reading the news that Netflix caved and rubbing his hands together in glee that the precedent has been set. The door has been opened and the govt is probably too damned inept/corrupt to close it.

I think that South Park captured it pretty precisely.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 25, 2014, 15:16 Pigeon

ViRGE wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 12:15:
Mt. Gox, once the world’s largest Bitcoin exchange, shuts down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE

Now with any luck the rest of the exchanges and the whole infernal scam goes with it.

I don't know if a scam was the original intent, but it sure seems to have turned out that way.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 25, 2014, 14:07 NegaDeath

Verno wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 13:41:
Yep, exactly. Without net neutrality this will eventually filter down to the user in the form of internet channels or something retarded, just watch.

I can't help but picture a Mr Burns-ish telco CEO reading the news that Netflix caved and rubbing his hands together in glee that the precedent has been set. The door has been opened and the govt is probably too damned inept/corrupt to close it.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 25, 2014, 13:41 Verno

Creston wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 11:37:
No. No, it really fucking doesn't. Net neutrality isn't about whether peering agreements are equal. While they have been in the past, it's easy to see that if one carrier sends 900 TB of data to another in a month, while the other only sends 50 TB of data in return, there needs to be some financial compensation. The internet has always worked this way, and there's no issue with that.

The issue is with this: That’s what happened to Level 3 in 2010 when it started handling transit data for Netflix in 2010. Like Cogent, Level 3 initially balked at paying a fee, but it soon found its connections to Comcast overloaded — not unlike an entrance ramp for a highway getting backed up. Level 3 eventually agreed to pay Comcast the peering fees.

And AS IF BY FUCKING MAGIC, the congestion vanished. THAT is in violation of net neutrality. Because Comcast is simply throttling traffic based on whatever whim they fancy. Which goes 100% against the fucking agreement they said they would adhere to until 2017.

And here's what the FCC chairman thinks about all these blatant violations of the entire concept of net neutrality.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 25, 2014, 12:15 ViRGE

Mt. Gox, once the world’s largest Bitcoin exchange, shuts down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE

Now with any luck the rest of the exchanges and the whole infernal scam goes with it.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 25, 2014, 12:00 Axis

I don't get throttled. And if I did I'd get a VPN. Problem easily solved.

Only Joe Layman might get affected. But I doubt Joe Laymen is running Netflix (or any streaming service) on all his big-screened TVs. And if he is... then he or someone he knows would know how to circumvent any throttling.

However I wish Netflix would have taken a stand. Simply publish 'trying' a high speed vpn and see if any problems go away. If they go away, your carrier is the problem.

Yours truly,

Axis

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 25, 2014, 11:37 Creston

As long as all networks pay the same rate for paid peering, net neutrality technically remains intact.

No. No, it really fucking doesn't. Net neutrality isn't about whether peering agreements are equal. While they have been in the past, it's easy to see that if one carrier sends 900 TB of data to another in a month, while the other only sends 50 TB of data in return, there needs to be some financial compensation. The internet has always worked this way, and there's no issue with that.

The issue is with this: That’s what happened to Level 3 in 2010 when it started handling transit data for Netflix in 2010. Like Cogent, Level 3 initially balked at paying a fee, but it soon found its connections to Comcast overloaded — not unlike an entrance ramp for a highway getting backed up. Level 3 eventually agreed to pay Comcast the peering fees.

And AS IF BY FUCKING MAGIC, the congestion vanished. THAT is in violation of net neutrality. Because Comcast is simply throttling traffic based on whatever whim they fancy. Which goes 100% against the fucking agreement they said they would adhere to until 2017.

And here's what the FCC chairman thinks about all these blatant violations of the entire concept of net neutrality.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 25, 2014, 11:31 Creston

‘The question is whether Comcast is using its peering agreements anti-competitively or not. I just don’t think we have enough information.’

— John Bergmayer

'The question isn't whether Comcast is using its peering agreements anti-competitively or not. Any fucking moron can see that. The real question is how to determine whether I actually have a functioning fucking braincell. I just don't think we have enough information.'

- John Bergmayer.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 25, 2014, 10:18 Cutter

Mebbe this Comcast/Netflix thing will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 25, 2014, 08:58 nin

Facebook retires its troubled @facebook.com email service. Thanks HARDOCP.
Tired of wrestling with what to watch? Roku launches WWE network.
Facebook retires its troubled @facebook.com email service.

This is totally a tribute to Groundhog Day, right?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo