Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

THIEF Reviews

Reviews of the THIEF reboot are starting to roll out in advance of this week's release of the stealth/action reboot. The game currently has a 71 Metascore, which is pretty mediocre based on the typical game scoring curve, though not every outlet has chimed in yet. Here are some of the early notices for the game:

View
138 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

138. Re: THIEF Reviews Mar 2, 2014, 09:02 Quboid

Thanks Quinn. By the sounds of it, it's not a classic but nothing like as bad as some had predicted and probably better than I'd thought. One for a decent sale, methinks.  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

137. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 28, 2014, 10:49 Quinn

Eight hours in. My thoughts:

First of all, it's a good game and I can't wait to get back in it after work. Now that that's of my chest, I'll start with my first gripes:

1. No manual jumping is retarded. I often feel like a guy in a wheelchair. Also, I sometimes think I can make a jump.. ends up garrett isn't even trying so he runs right of a roof and into death. Iron Man difficulty is only for the mentally challenged. Yes, you're a complete moron if you choose that difficulty.
2. I have all my tools bought early into the game even with Expensive Resources on as a difficulty mod. Now my only motivation left to steal is for Rope Arrows (600 gold a piece! You make about 1200 gold a mission! Fuck me!) and achievements.
3. The houses you enter in the city hub are completely VACANT of life! This is maybe the worst part of the game. Once I realized the constant, I ended up running around inside homes plundering them like I had go catch a train. This is immersion breaking, not fun, and it completely destroys the will to explore the city hub.

Possitive parts:

1. Stealth. It works. It's hard on Master Difficulty because once you're in sight only a quick reflex swoop can keep you from being detected and even then it remains difficult. When your darkness gem is at its darkest, enemies still spot you unless they're at least 10 meters away. Good stuff!
2. Pickpocketing and lockpicking is fun. Looting is fun. For now, even just looting for a good end-mission stat is just fun. Most importantly: finding collectables gives you a fiendish glitter in the eye.
3. Graphics, man! They are good! The atmosphere is just epic and so tre to the former Thief games! I'm a Dishonored hater but if that game had this personality (instead of none) my opinion would make a 180.
4. Level design. I'm intimidated by all the different paths in every section of a mission. I keep backtracking and taking new roots to make sure I didn't miss any loot and collectables.

Overall, the game is good and the negative reviews piss me off. The dev don't deserve this bad press from bitter old men. Not just because the game is objectively good in many of its ways, but because it kept surprisingly true to its predecessors! When I walk The City, old memories pop up from a frenchise I thought had nothing to do with this reboot.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

136. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 26, 2014, 12:19 SpectralMeat

Quboid wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 12:15:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 10:34:
I've been using unblockus for a while but recently switched to https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ because they are cheaper.

They appear to be pretty good, how is bandwidth over these services? Can they max out a good Internet connection (55Mbit)?

It's rather bullshit that their 6 month deal is just a few bucks cheaper than their 12 month one. I'm sure I'm supposed to think that the 12 month deal is great value but it just looks like they've inflated the 6 month one to trick us.
They've had a sale during the holidays, the 12 months sub was around $20 iirc.
I am only using it for Netflix and it works fine, the stream kicks up to 1080p usually shortly after I start a movie.
I don't think you can max out your connection but for streaming media like Netflix or Pandora it works fine.
I did not try to stream with multiple devices at the same time, and I did have some bad days when Netflix disconnected but it was very rare and not a usual thing.
I think it had more to do with my actual internet connection then the VPN service.
I have the DNS set in the Playstation 3 setting not at the router level.
THere are a few TV shows on Netflix Canada that my wife likes to watch so the iPad is connected to the CDN Netflix and the PS3 is on the US, because usually when we sit down to watch a movie together the US has a better selection.

Steam: SpectralMeat

135. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 26, 2014, 12:15 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 10:34:
I've been using unblockus for a while but recently switched to https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ because they are cheaper.

They appear to be pretty good, how is bandwidth over these services? Can they max out a good Internet connection (55Mbit)?

It's rather bullshit that their 6 month deal is just a few bucks cheaper than their 12 month one. I'm sure I'm supposed to think that the 12 month deal is great value but it just looks like they've inflated the 6 month one to trick us.

- Quboid

134. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 26, 2014, 11:31 Quinn

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 10:16:
Quinn wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 10:13:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 07:33:
Quinn wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 01:25:
Seems that people either hate it or are really enjoying it. I'm a sad European. Can't wait for the moment I can draw m own verdict.
Can't you login to Steam via VPN and get it unlocked?

I'm a PC gamer that can tinker a bit.. but no idea how this VPN trick works and I'm afraid that if I try it something happens with my connection.. and without internet, one cannot breathe.
It is not that complicated. However I am not sure how well Steam handles this sort of thing.
All it does is redirects your IP so Steam thinks you are in the US so the game gets unlocked, then you reset the IP to your homeland again and can play the game.
I use a VPN for Netflix so I can access US movies as the CDN Netflix sucks balls to say the least.

Edit: I forgot most paid VPN services offer a free trial and a very detailed explanation on their website with step by step instructions on how to set everything up.
My only worry is will Steam find this legal or will they flag your account. You may want to do some research on it.
I know a lot of people are doing this to unlock games early.

Thanks for the advice, but I'll stick to what I'm more comfortable with. In a few minutes I can play this game for free until it's released. I'll start over when it is.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

133. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 26, 2014, 10:34 SpectralMeat

132. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 26, 2014, 10:26 Verno

I think the biggest sin Thief makes is in the audio department. I can forgive the AI because people are silly and the AI in the old games was nothing to write home about. I can forgive the level design because the industry is much different today and many gamers prefer a more guided approach, so long as I have options that aren't direct combat. I can forgive the cutscenes and story crap because I can just skip them. I can forgive the QTEs and badly hidden loading sequences.

What I can't forgive (and something that most reviewers didn't touch on) is how badly implemented the audio engine is in this game. Sometimes guards are carrying on a conversation 30 feet below me but sound as if they're right in front of my face. My footsteps often don't change when I move between different surfaces, making the same dumb clomp in 3/4 of the environments. Other times vital bits of dialogue will be lost for no reason. Things don't overlap properly but one sound bit often cancels out another one which is bizarre. Knocking things over makes no noise. Jumping down 2 feet from a guard produces no alarm most of the time.

The older Thief games rewarded your careful ear as much as they did your eyes and this game is an unforgivable step backward in this regard. It's not a horrible game but it's not really a good one either.

I use a VPN for Netflix so I can access US movies as the CDN Netflix sucks balls to say the least.

Most of my Canadian friends just use a DNS redirector, usually cheaper and simpler to implement for a home network. Unotelly, unblock-us, etc. VPN is good for early game unlocks though for sure.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

131. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 26, 2014, 10:16 SpectralMeat

Quinn wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 10:13:
Seems that people either hate it or are really enjoying it. I'm a sad European. Can't wait for the moment I can draw m own verdict.

I'm a PC gamer that can tinker a bit.. but no idea how this VPN trick works and I'm afraid that if I try it something happens with my connection.. and without internet, one cannot breathe.
It is not that complicated. However I am not sure how well Steam handles this sort of thing.
All it does is redirects your IP so Steam thinks you are in the US so the game gets unlocked, then you reset the IP to your homeland again and can play the game.

Edit: I forgot most paid VPN services offer a free trial and a very detailed explanation on their website with step by step instructions on how to set everything up.
My only worry is will Steam find this legal or will they flag your account. You may want to do some research on it.
I know a lot of people are doing this to unlock games early.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2014, 10:26.

130. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 26, 2014, 10:13 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

129. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 26, 2014, 10:06 Prez

Post 124 - "Enjoying it so far, don't see what the fuss was all about."

Post 123 - "This game is straight GARBAGE! You have been warned."

Post 114 - "I've been playing it a bit tonight and your experience mirrors my own. I just don't see what all the bitching was about. I truly don't. These horrible glaring flaws people talked about in the reviews are orders of magnitude less dire than they led us to believe. They are barely worthy of mention."

Ahh the dichotomy of opinions. I love you internet!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

128. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 26, 2014, 07:55 PHJF

Triple buffering options in the game itself? Has anyone done that before? First I've seen.

Pretty much every game had that... ten years ago. Back when vsync options, you know, worked.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

127. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 26, 2014, 07:33 SpectralMeat

126. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 26, 2014, 01:25 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

125. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 26, 2014, 01:20 MajorD

The first 30 to 40 minutes I was very skeptical for a number of reasons, but kept an open mind. It wasn't until I got past the opening/training level that I finally started to enjoy the game. For those Taffers that were interested in reading Blue's News poster's reviews, I will post a more detail review after I put another hour or so into it.

124. Re: Into the Black Feb 26, 2014, 00:08 NegaDeath

Enjoying it so far, don't see what the fuss was all about. Strikes me as the usual internet reaction, aka take a normal response and dial it to 11. Oh well. And it's a GREAT port, Nixxes really went all out here. Triple buffering options in the game itself? Has anyone done that before? First I've seen. And no sign here of the kind of issues that plagued the launch of DX:HR, smooth as butter with everything to full.  

123. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 25, 2014, 22:21 Tim Collins

This game is straight GARBAGE! You have been warned.  

122. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 25, 2014, 20:31 Redmask

cronik wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 18:51:

haha!! if that DA2 review wasn't a paid one then call me stupid!!!

RPG OF THE DECADE!!!

121. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 25, 2014, 18:51 cronik

ASeven wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 12:52:

PC Gamer has become a mockery of itself as a site. I still remember the fucking 94% they gave to Dragons Age 2, proceeded by giving Witcher 2 an 89%.

haha!! if that DA2 review wasn't a paid one then call me stupid!!!

120. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2014, 12:34 Jerykk

Verno wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 09:06:
NKD wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 07:50:

I've been playing it a bit tonight and your experience mirrors my own. I just don't see what all the bitching was about. I truly don't. These horrible glaring flaws people talked about in the reviews are orders of magnitude less dire than they led us to believe. They are barely worthy of mention. Maybe if I put more hours in I'll understand, but so far so good. It doesn't even really feel like a franchise reboot, IMHO. It's just another Thief game. You'd have to set it on easiest difficulty and run around being a psycho to not get the Thief experience, and that'd be your own fault.

Looking at some of the reviews again, I feel like most of the reviewers didn't understand the point of a Thief game and they were expecting something more flashy like a Deus Ex.

On the other end of the spectrum you have the die-hard Thief "fans" who have been swearing up and down that the game was going to suck for YEARS. These guys are so invested in their own opinion that they are psychologically incapable of enjoying the game.

If I put a few more hours into the game and everything goes to hell, I'll have to change my view on the game, but like I said, so far so good.

Supposedly the game plays it hand early on and the tedium sets in after a few hours. I didn't have time to play yet to see for myself

I played it for a bit last night and while the level design is definitely more Splinter Cell than Thief (linear progression with branching paths), I don't see that as a game-breaker. I think a lot of the reviews were particularly harsh because they need story as their primary compulsion to play a stealth game and Thief's story is apparently terrible. The reviewers who don't care about story generally seem to be a lot more positive about the game.

119. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 25, 2014, 11:33 Quinn

I hope developers and publishers realize that buying a game takes willpower.

I also hope developers and publishers realize that not pirating a game takes willpower.

I also hope developers and publishers realize that releasing a game DAYS later on other continents is asking ALLOT from even the noblest of people.

Gotta wait 3 more days for the game to release in Europe. You can also get it for FREE right now. You can´t make this shit up...

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

138 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo