Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's the list of the bestselling games on Steam last week:

1. Banished
  2. DayZ
  3. Rust
  4. Call of Duty: Ghosts
  5. Arma III
  6. Garry's Mod
  7. South Park: The Stick of Truth
  8. Space Engineers
  9. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition
  10. Thief

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2014, 14:05 saluk

I've known about Banished for roughly a year and a half, so it had SOME word of mouth. I think it's the case of a lot of the right people remembering what it was when it went on sale; and then just filling a void. (A finished non pixel-art non platformer indie simulation!)  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2014, 07:54 gray

Jerykk wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 00:23:
Zoom wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 14:50:
Interesting that Banished is up there at top spot. This indy game comes from nowhere, it's finished (something rare these days), there was no multi-year hype buildup, and it seems really brilliant (didnt get it yet, but had it on my "watch list").

It is really strange. DayZ and Rust had a lot of word of mouth so their success is understandable. Banished came out of nowhere. It was the top-seller as soon as it launched despite appearing to be a rather mundane city-builder.

It's had a fair amount of word of mouth, and posts on sites such as RPS. Generally centered around the fact that it's the work of just one guy, which is pretty cool (like Limit Theory).

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2014, 02:15 jdreyer

Jerykk wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 00:23:
Interesting that Banished is up there at top spot. This indy game comes from nowhere, it's finished (something rare these days), there was no multi-year hype buildup, and it seems really brilliant (didnt get it yet, but had it on my "watch list").

It is really strange. DayZ and Rust had a lot of word of mouth so their success is understandable. Banished came out of nowhere. It was the top-seller as soon as it launched despite appearing to be a rather mundane city-builder.

Probably a lot of pent-up desire for city builders, especially after the spectacular failure last year. Also, while I don't think there was much press on Blues, big outlets like IGN and Eurogamer had previews. However, I agree, it did kind of come out of nowhere. Looking fwd to playing it, although can't spare $20 ATM.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 24, 2014, 00:23 Jerykk

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 23:11 Cutter

This is a common criticism I'm seeing leveled at Banished. There's nothing to do but recoup from disasters. There's nothing to aspire to. Once you get a village up and running, that's it. Then it's harvest wood and food, recover from disaster, rinse, repeat. Nothing to research, nothing to advance to, nothing to trade, no conflict.

I'll grab it when it hits 5 bucks one of these days, but so far it sounds like it's a great start to what would be a really awesome game if there was more all around stuff to do.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 20:45 Grokk

Frijoles wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 16:29:
Banished is a harsh, harsh mistress. We survived the famines. We survived the cold winters with little firewood and ragged clothes. Things were going well until... Old Age. Guess I should have built more houses.

That's pretty much how my 4th game went. I thought I was hammering along given my previous attempts, then all of a sudden they started dropping like flies.

My next attempt, with new found knowledge had me building more houses and such, then as luck would have it, one caught fire.
The fire spread to the adjoining 5 houses over the next couple of minutes and eventually left me with 2/3rd of the population out in the cold for the winter.

I didn't play it over the weekend, in favour of a new minecraft world.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 19:09 SpectralMeat

and it was created by a single person

Steam: SpectralMeat

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 16:29 Frijoles

Banished is a harsh, harsh mistress. We survived the famines. We survived the cold winters with little firewood and ragged clothes. Things were going well until... Old Age. Guess I should have built more houses.  

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 14:50 Zoom

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 13:23 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 12:45:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 12:31:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 12:00:
Edit: I wonder if that CoD Ghost is actual sales or whoever downloaded the game during the free weekend counts as sales

The list is based on revenue...
Ahh that sucks!
Ghost is the worst CoD in the past several years!

Thus the half off sale, methinks.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 12:45 SpectralMeat

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 12:31:
Edit: I wonder if that CoD Ghost is actual sales or whoever downloaded the game during the free weekend counts as sales

Ahh that sucks!
Ghost is the worst CoD in the past several years!

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 12:31 jacobvandy

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 12:17 nin

ASeven wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 11:46:
Speaking of Thief...

http://i.imgur.com/WAUj7Bf.png

Take it for what you will. Apparently Gamespot leaked the review on GameFAQs and quickly removed it.

And Banished is a brilliant game, mix of SimCity with survival. It does need a bit more content though, hopefully this success will encourage the dev to make a sizable expansion.

Saw gamefly (I believe it was) had it for $36 this weekend, an almost took the bait. But then I told myself by the time I finally got to it, it'll be under $30 by this fall anyway...

Seeing as my expectations are pretty much zero, if it so much as gets past the menu, I'll be impressed...

edit: link...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 12:00 SpectralMeat

Still contemplating on getting Banished. Glad to see it is doing so well though. Hopefully the dev will add some more content. He has no present on the Steam forum though.
Worth a buy: http://youtu.be/eiMksbivbmc

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2014, 12:12.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 11:46 ASeven

Speaking of Thief...

http://i.imgur.com/WAUj7Bf.png

Take it for what you will. Apparently Gamespot leaked the review on GameFAQs and quickly removed it.

And Banished is a brilliant game, mix of SimCity with survival. It does need a bit more content though, hopefully this success will encourage the dev to make a sizable expansion.

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 11:37 dj LiTh

Banished is pretty damn good, especially for an indy title. I really hope its expanded upon even more in the future with expansions. Older i get, more i enjoy a nice relaxing city sim game.  

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 11:12 Panickd

Techie714 wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 10:55:
Ma, these open world survival zombie games are REALLY popular. DayZ & Rust must be making millions.

*Great to see ARMA & Wither on there!

Garry recently tweeted that both Garry's Mod and Rust had made something like 30 million dollars each.

And I think DayZ crossed the 40 million dollar threshold awhile back as well.

It's a weird time to live in where you can sell a game that isn't really a game yet and make tons of cash doing it.

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 10:55 Techie714

Man, these open world survival zombie games are REALLY popular. DayZ & Rust must be making millions.

*Great to see ARMA & Witcher on there!

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2014, 11:20.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2014, 10:50 Panickd

OMG! Could it be! A week where a game that is actually finished tops the Top 10!  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo