Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Mobilization

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 25, 2014, 11:13 Verno

The Lumia is good hardware but Windows Phone isn't very good and the app selection sucks. I don't know what the point of even getting a smartphone is if you aren't interested in apps, there are so many useful ones that you won't find in a browser.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 24, 2014, 14:55 Bundy

I started with a BB, way back. Then an iPhone 4. Then an HTC Evo. So for the last upgrade I figured I'd give WP a whirl. I've liked each of my phones, the BB probably the least, and my HTC had some performance & battery issues. But overall the Nokia 920 is my favorite. So to each their own.  

6. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 24, 2014, 07:45 Flo

I find the Win Phone 8 UI superior to any other mobile OS out there.
My HTC 8X has been running rock solid for the last year. Since I really don't use apps I could care less about the whole wp8 store ecosystem. Who needs apps, I got a browser...

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 23, 2014, 21:40 Redmask

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 20:01:
Given that Windows Phone growth more than doubled the industry average last year

It's not difficult to grow from 1.5% to 3.6%, especially when many of the phones are being sold at large subsidies and you have Microsoft as your benefactor. I've tried Windows Phone by the way and did not find it to be a competent platform compared to Android or iOS.

4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 23, 2014, 21:24 Beamer

I just picked up the Icon this weekend.
There's no getting around that WP8 is missing the polish of iOS or most forms of Android, but it just feels more lively and fun to use to me.

Yeah, I'm missing a good amount of apps I want (Uber and Lyft being the two primary), but it's just very, very pleasant to use as a whole.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 23, 2014, 20:01 Parallax Abstraction

Redmask wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 14:17:
The Windows Phone that people still don't want.

Given that Windows Phone growth more than doubled the industry average last year, I'd say you're probably wrong on that. We just rolled out a bunch of WP8 devices at work. It wouldn't have been my first choice for a phone but due to cost constraints, it was either this or BlackBerry 10 and there's no way we're hitching our wagon to that.

So far, Windows Phone is pretty good. It's got issues to be sure (most of which look to be getting addresses in 8.1) but from a usability standpoint, it's great. My users are not techie types and are accustomed to BlackBerry OS 7 and they've gotten proficient at Windows Phone with almost no training from me at all. Conversely, when a few of our people got iPads, I had to spend an afternoon teaching them how to get around on them and still got questions for days after.

The platform has a long way to evolve for sure but it's a lot better than many think and a lot of those who crap on it likely haven't even bothered to try it. That said, if it was up to me, I'd have an HTC One.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 23, 2014, 14:26 RenownWolf

Got to say, I kind of look forward to the Ubuntu phones.

The idea of a Linux phone just catches my interest, especially if they can pull off the plug into the monitor/attach with devices and run linux desktop apps.

I only use Ubuntu in a VM state at the moment for testing be it a server or dev builds.

http://www.renownwolf.com

1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 23, 2014, 14:17 Redmask

The Windows Phone that people still don't want.  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo