Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It was a little weird watching the men's slalom event at the Olympics yesterday, as the altacocker that placed the gates was apparently as sadistic as he was expert, leading to over a third of the field being unable to complete the course. On further reflection, I think this guy should be in charge of other events... for instance we could skip the Zamboni for skating events to make them more challenging. Chaos, ftw!

Swervy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Defend Your King.
Gravity Racer.
Stories: A "Farscape" Film Spin-Off In The Works?
"Heroes" Returns As An Event Series.
Media: Matt Smith Makes Video For Four Year Old DW Superfan.
Best Fails of the Week 3 February 2014.
Northern Lights Aurora Borealis, spectacular real time video.
NASA - IRIS Spots Its Largest Solar Flare.
Follow-up: "Veronica Mars" Opens Everywhere March 14th.
The Funnies: Pixel Interpretation: Samus EXTRALIFE.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2014, 15:08 jdreyer

nin wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 08:45:
For anyone who enjoyed the winter olympics, I recommend The Crash Reel. Great flick...

Actually, thanks. Wife loves watching half pipe * Shaun White. Added to NF queue.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2014, 14:00 Verno

Babylon 5 actually kind of sucks in season 1, its the rest of the series that people rave about. Season 1 they were getting their footing and it really shows.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2014, 12:37 Mr. Tact

Babylon 5 definitely gets better after season one. The first season is pretty much the set-up for the rest of the series.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2014, 08:45 nin

For anyone who enjoyed the winter olympics, I recommend The Crash Reel. Great flick...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2014, 05:46 InBlack

These fucking whiners who keep complaining that the course was too hard, maybe they should have a little talk with the skiers who finished the course? Maybe even the medalists themselves??  

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2014, 05:41 Efflixi

Blue,

I am not sure if you'll see this but I just got a huge takeover ad from your site. It replaced your content and told me I'd be re-directed in 30 seconds. Adblock caught the content replacement because it wasn't ON your page (blues news is in my whitelist) so all I got was a white page with a timer.

Image of Ad

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2014, 02:08 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 01:30:
Olympic skiing events should be difficult. Kostelic is very well known for creating difficult runs, and he's absolutely right. Some of the world cup slalom events are a joke.

Cres can do them blindfolded they're so easy. Also, why isn't the course seeded with landmines?

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2014, 02:05 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 23:45:

still can't believe how much people like BSG2. it's fuckin' awful imo. absolutely the worst written show i've ever seen.

I love it, but I can see how some people might not like it. It's really "soap opera-y" for lack of a better word. I loved the characters (esp Tigh), the stark fx, the over-arching story, the world building, the Cylons, the philosophical questions, etc. However, it does have a lot of melodrama which can be a huge turn off, and there are a lot of religious overtones. And the fourth season has a fcking stupid plot hole big enough to fly Galactica through.

Also, too: Six is sooooo hot.

Also, thanks for the Bab5 advice. Since I'm pretty familiar with S1, maybe I'll just start on S2 and go from there.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2014, 01:30 Creston

Olympic skiing events should be difficult. Kostelic is very well known for creating difficult runs, and he's absolutely right. Some of the world cup slalom events are a joke.

As for Heroes returning, I think that's pretty cool. It was a good story in need of an ending.

15. scorpius vids Feb 24, 2014, 01:06 harlock

heh got me thinking about this guy again.. one of the most interesting villains of all time imo

http://youtu.be/0H-ibMaXa_c

and cant forget:

http://youtu.be/U7SS0YCWVGs

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2014, 23:45 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 22:50:
Thanks for all the comments. I'll check Farscape out.

I like Voyager, but prefer shows like Firefly and BSG (2) better. The strength of Voyager for me so far as been in its characters, not its stories, whereas BSG and FF had both great characters and stories.

I've watched the first season of Bab5 twice, but not beyond. I keep getting distracted somehow. I need to continue that, as I hear it really picks up in later seasons. Somehow I couldn't get into either W13 or Eureka, despite watching about half a season of each. Ditto for Revolution (which just seemed unrealistic after watching The Road), but I did watch 2 full seasons of Continuum before I thought it got too samey. I'd recommend that if you're looking for a decent sci fi show, as the first season and a half are pretty good.

I really need to watch Fringe too, so I hear.

Now that HBO has worked its magic in the fantasy genre with GoT, maybe they can turn some of that talent to Sci Fi. Foundation series by HBO?

you can pretty much skip season 1 of babylon5 the first time. in fact my recommended viewing order for any b5 n00b is seasons 2 thru 4, then 1, then the series finale, then season 5 if you're really in need of a fix. season 1 is good, don't get me wrong, but it's almost totally portents and foreshadowing without much in the way of plot. otoh, it becomes very rich and rewarding if you can watch it all in order; i'm just afraid for the ADHD crowd they wouldn't be able to stomach the slowness of season 1 and lose interest in the show.

still can't believe how much people like BSG2. it's fuckin' awful imo. absolutely the worst written show i've ever seen.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2014, 23:14 Cutter

The concept of W13 was a great one. Too bad they didn't have better writing for it. I think they should have approached it from more of a pulp angle and made it more Indiana Jones adventurish.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2014, 22:50 jdreyer

Thanks for all the comments. I'll check Farscape out.

I like Voyager, but prefer shows like Firefly and BSG (2) better. The strength of Voyager for me so far as been in its characters, not its stories, whereas BSG and FF had both great characters and stories.

I've watched the first season of Bab5 twice, but not beyond. I keep getting distracted somehow. I need to continue that, as I hear it really picks up in later seasons. Somehow I couldn't get into either W13 or Eureka, despite watching about half a season of each. Ditto for Revolution (which just seemed unrealistic after watching The Road), but I did watch 2 full seasons of Continuum before I thought it got too samey. I'd recommend that if you're looking for a decent sci fi show, as the first season and a half are pretty good.

I really need to watch Fringe too, so I hear.

Now that HBO has worked its magic in the fantasy genre with GoT, maybe they can turn some of that talent to Sci Fi. Foundation series by HBO?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2014, 20:21 Mr. Tact

I watched and enjoyed Farscape, Babylon5 and Battlestar Galactica (both versions). BG v2 is probably the only one I would call "well made." My experience is all this stuff is pretty individual, it's tough to get a read on it from someone else. For instance, I watch all those, but didn't care for Warehouse 13 or Eureka. *shrug* Try it. If you like it watch some more.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2014, 19:50 harlock

jdreyer wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 17:57:
I've never watched Farscape, but it's been on Netflix for a while. Worth a watch?

yeh farscape is awesome, but it takes about 2 seasons to pick up steam.. it really starts getting good when scorpius becomes a major part of the main plot, right around when they establish his origin story.. in fact the interplay between scorpius and john is one of the best parts of the series itself, throughout the character arcs... which are extensive for everyone - there is a lot of progression in each character, another high point overall

sad thing is it got cut short in its prime, so even though the last season is the best, it ended on a cliffhanger they had to wrap up really quickly in a miniseries after the fact, which sucked because it was building up huge stakes and epic conflicts

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2014, 18:06 Cutter

Farscape is pure cheese. It's basically bad fanfic made into a TV show with no real budget to speak of. Bad writing, bad acting, bad effects. If you're needing some sci-fi watch Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica instead. I actually need to sit down and the Babylon 5 series in its entirety one of these days.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2014, 18:05 1badmf

farscape is very worth a watch. get a giant bucket of popcorn and a tub of soda ready cuz you'll be stuck for the long haul. the effects take some getting used to and the predominantly aussie cast can be distracting, but the writing is top notch, and especially once you get emotionally involved in the characters it's surprisingly moving... and then REALLY moving.

your tastes may be different from mine though if you really like star trek. i've always felt trek was mildly interesting at best; nowhere near the cream of scifi like farscape or babylon 5 or star wars. the writing was just never very strong, original, or creative.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2014, 17:57 jdreyer

Fion wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 16:24:
Yea Men's slalom was brutal, but then again a lot of events have been. The course creators absolutely do work to make the difficulty as high as possible for the simple reason that it's the Olympics and the peak of competition.

Farscape.. spinoff..movie. Am I seeing this right? If they could get some of the magic that made that show the best scifi series 'ever', I'd see this in a heartbeat.

Heroes returning is pretty sweet too. First season of that show was awesome. So many TV shows that start great should just have been a miniseries. So I think they are going in the right direction with this one.

I've never watched Farscape, but it's been on Netflix for a while. Worth a watch?

I've been watching Voyager lately (missed it the first time around, was burned out on ST after TNG and DS9). Voyager is pretty good for a ST show, but it does tend to fall into a lot of the typical ST tropes: the Holocaust analogy episode, the holodeck malfunctioning episode, the crisis caused by an all-powerful being or invented spacial anomaly episodes, the artificial "person" becoming human character, the Klingon-style enemy, etc. But there is a lot of variety, and the cast is superior to DS9 almost to a person.

As for Heroes, the first season was fantastic with a great, complete arc. It went off the rails in the 2nd season. Did it ever improve?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2014, 16:43 Cutter

Good on the people of the Ukraine! Wish people here gave a shit about democracy.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2014, 16:38 Fantaz

yeah, Farscape was a great show! Heroes too.  

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo