Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced

A new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries website celebrates the news that the crowd-sourced funding for Star Citizen has passed the $39 million plateau, unlocking the next stretch goal of "the penultimate user-chosen star system" (thanks 88fingers). When the game hit $38 million, Chairman Roberts teased "a new goal that will help chart the course for the future of Star Citizen in a different way," which he now reveals to be a Procedural Generation R&D Team, saying "If we can develop a truly great procedural generation system, one that lets us create entire planets for you to populate, then we can expand the game to add these features (and more) in the future." Here's more on their $40 million stretch goal:

Procedural Generation R&D Team This stretch goal will allocate funding for Cloud Imperium to develop procedural generation technology for future iterations of Star Citizen. Advanced procedural generation will be necessary for creating entire planets worth of exploration and development content. A special strike team of procedural generation-oriented developers will be assembled to make this technology a reality.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 24, 2014, 03:02 Jackplug

Fraud in the biggest way with another Duke Nukem failure immenent and he get to keep all your money!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 23, 2014, 22:11 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 01:07:
How exactly does this video game require $39,000,000 to be created? I'm curious of the break down here.
That's chump change -- Blizzard and other "AAA" title companies have spent 100s of millions on a single game.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

48. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 23, 2014, 17:06 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 01:01:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 21:45:
One thing I'd like to point out with all this procedural talk is that Josh Parnell over at Limit Theory is doing procedural everything for less that $200K.

But he's a genius.

True, and he also seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Also, it's not like Chris Roberts can't afford to hire his own genius at this point.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

47. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 23, 2014, 11:34 ElectricTurtle

[VG]Reagle wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 07:11:
This game is going to ruin crow sourcing. Its hilarious how an unfinished game with a star ship is getting the star wars geeks all wet and dripping. So based on some barely playable hack job that a indie could make in 5 months star geeks are throwing money down the toilet and tingles are running down their legs?

Its not Eve on line dudes. Its not Star wars Galaxies. This is an unfinished indie mod. I know its hard to fathom but you might not want to sell the house and buy the $10,000 support package just yet.

Indie mod/hack? What disingenuous nonsense. I suppose to you Mass Effect and Gears of War were "indie mods" because they used a licensed engine. Never mind that CIG is working with an entire team at CryTek as well as hiring many experienced CryEngine devs directly.

46. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 23, 2014, 02:37 Jerykk

BobBob wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 01:07:
How exactly does this video game require $39,000,000 to be created? I'm curious of the break down here. How much is the CEO making as a salary?

Um, have you seen the bazillion stretch goals? $39 million isn't even that much given the huge scope of the project. I think you severely underestimate how expensive game development is.

45. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 23, 2014, 01:07 BobBob

How exactly does this video game require $39,000,000 to be created? I'm curious of the break down here. How much is the CEO making as a salary?  

44. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 23, 2014, 01:01 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 21:45:
One thing I'd like to point out with all this procedural talk is that Josh Parnell over at Limit Theory is doing procedural everything for less that $200K.

But he's a genius.

43. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 23, 2014, 00:59 Creston

Slinkycatz wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 02:12:
Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 01:09:
Procedural generation? Really?

Wasn't the fact that everything was hand-created one of the big selling points of SC?

Roberts must have been more impressed by Elite:Dangerous than we first believed.

What will be handcrafted are the systems, their planets as seen from space, main starports and cities.

What about the rest of the planet, however? That is where the procedural generation comes in. I imagine they want to create territory and sprinkle it with goodies such as ruins, caves, etc where you can find very rare items. When a vote was done long ago as to what players wanted to do most in the SC universe, 'Explore' got a huge share of the vote.

Ah, okay, that does make sense. I thought it to mean that they were looking into doing everything procedurally and eventually replacing stuff with it. But adding onto a planet makes sense.

Thanks for the explanation.

42. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 22, 2014, 23:13 Flatline

This game is going to ruin crow sourcing. Its hilarious how an unfinished game with a star ship is getting the star wars geeks all wet and dripping. So based on some barely playable hack job that a indie could make in 5 months star geeks are throwing money down the toilet and tingles are running down their legs?

Its not Eve on line dudes. Its not Star wars Galaxies. This is an unfinished indie mod. I know its hard to fathom but you might not want to sell the house and buy the $10,000 support package just yet.

Typos aside this game *has* made me quit on crowdsourcing projects. Completely.

41. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 22, 2014, 22:57 Mr. Tact

Redmask wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 09:46:
Every Star Citizen thread on this place is interchangeable.
And that is surprising in what way? Do you read multiple posts on the same subject in other on-line forums and see different arguments generated each time the topic is brought up again?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

40. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 22, 2014, 21:45 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

39. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 22, 2014, 14:28 Jivaro

Redmask wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 09:46:

yep.

38. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 22, 2014, 14:19 saluk

Come on everybody! Raise some money to help fund the sequel! One SC certainly isn't enough. Hiring more people is the only way to be sure this can happen.

Invest in your future.

37. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 22, 2014, 09:46 Redmask

36. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 22, 2014, 09:36 Pr()ZaC

crow sourcing
Sorry, it made me smile.

35. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 22, 2014, 07:11 [VG]Reagle

This comment was edited on Feb 22, 2014, 07:17.

I am much better now.

34. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 22, 2014, 05:39 Dmitri_M

An extra million dollars doesn't mean automatically pulling off any of these features.

Hopefully they manage to focus on creating a good base game. A lot of the features they're hooking wallets with will get dropped. Expect a letter from the chairman with some disappointing news in a year or two. Best of luck to them reigning all of this in and creating something consistently good which actually has a realistic release date.

Wasn't Roberts a onetime Hollywood producer? He knows how to extract money from marks. The features are starting to sound like taglines on film posters. Taglines being a highly reliable indicator of a film's quality.

33. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 22, 2014, 04:40 Julio

OldTimber wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 02:21:
Chairman? Does he have the military parade for him daily in goosestep after having his uncle eaten by dogs? Wait this isn't a North Korea pr piece?

That's the $1 billion stretch goal, that Chairman Roberts buys his own country to host Star Citizen development.

32. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 22, 2014, 04:07 Cutter

Kosumo wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 01:36:
I thought the big selling point was the "Imagine Engine" where the render, gameplay, sound, server systems where all in your head?

Impressed by Elite:Dangerous? pfft Whatever, That game is miles behind on making a cool hangar.

pew pew, citizens, pew pew

(tbh - I'm truly starting to think that they don't know what they are doing. I think they should have stuck to the SQ42 plan then move onto SC as a new project after SQ42 was done. What they are doing now is just asking to turn into managment hell imho.)

That's exactly what all crowdfunded games should be doing. Whatever the basic plan was just get it done and out the door on time, on budget and in good shape. Then focus on the DLC/expansions/what have you. When, not if, but when a couple of these larger projects bomb you're going to see that come about. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

31. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 22, 2014, 04:00 El Pit

I love the dogfighting module, it's absolutely stunning...

Oh, wait.

That's the Elite game which made less than 10% of the money SC has made up to now.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo