Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video

The Elder Scrolls Online website now features a developer play session video showing off blacksmithing in Tamriel, showing one of the crafting options in Bethesda Softworks' upcoming MMORPG. Word is: "Crafting in The Elder Scrolls Online enhances your adventures. We follow the journey of a blacksmith, from exploring and gathering materials to creating a special piece of armor. Blacksmithing is just one of the many crafting skills available in ESO." Here's more:

There are tons of opportunities for crafters to flourish in ESO. You can learn to create helpful food and drink items with provisioning, fashion enchantments for gear, brew potions using alchemy, and forge and improve weapons and armor of all sorts with smithing, our most involved skill. There's so much to crafting that one video won't contain it all, so we want to show you how being a blacksmith (who can create metal armor and weapons, just one of the three smithing skills) will augment your journeys, from exploration and gathering materials all the way to producing a special piece of armor.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 25, 2014, 08:50 avianflu

In the gameplay video. Some are saying there are no timers or they "dont matter", but guys, I see timers.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 20:58 Ceribaen

KS wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 15:20:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 12:03:
*snip*

Tera Online completely borked the questing system -- run-of-the-mill quests, about 90% were not sharable because they were all part of long chains which you must do the previous ones.

So you go into a new area, unless someone else is bramd new there, ypu can't group because they're already up the chain.

I wish companies would stop this. Who the hell cares if you start mid-chain? The damned rewards aren't any kind of great thing that must be forbidden to someone who missed the previous quests.

The XP rate is what the game developers should be concerned with, not that someone might "abuse" a blue-reward endquest by skipping the 8 previous requests in the chain. They still need XP somehow anyway.

These are the very first letter in MMORPG -- making grouping easy. A group finder utility is useless if it's hard to share quests.

Both The Secret World and Defiance also seem to put a single player focus over even small groups.

I actually was quite enjoying Defiance - except I always found the instanced missions extremely frustrating. One of my best days playing was running around with a random guy who used a shotgun, while I was using my preferred sniper rifle... we were doing plenty of quests together since it was easy to randomly pick up overland stuff, but the second you got tossed into an instance you were back solo again. No reason for that.

TSW when I played, it pretty much seemed like you couldn't even manufacture an excuse to work together with someone.

Tera Online - at least the instances were set up for groups, even if the overland quest lines were mostly chained. But I still found you could randomly grab someone and catch them up pretty quick if you wanted.

But yeah, it seems that the pendulum has swung too far from 'forced grouping' of the old EQ/DAoC days to 'forced soloing' now...

32. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 20:52 Saboth

Nothing in any of the things I've seen have made me interested in this. For an MMO to grab me now, it's going to need to be pretty groundbreaking. I enjoyed Skyrim because I felt like I was exploring a huge open world by myself. You could walk for almost an hour just looking at streams and rivers, wildlife, etc. Taking that away and dumping you in small areas with a bunch of 15 year olds that are going to be screaming in zone chat "where do you find the quest guy for the Level 3 pants???" completely stomps all over what made Elder Scroll games great. I'd also give this a pass if the game world was somehow so huge that I could play for 2 hours and not see another person, but it sounds like standard size zones for another grindy mmo.  

31. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 19:44 NewMaxx

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 17:46:
As you mention EQN is something to point to simply because it has read the market and notices things need to change. They looked at the indy build market and should have said, man if one man with limited $$$ could do what he did, what does that say for the 100's of us with bank that can't? A right decision is to look at the scene and really do something about it.

You do mention mmo's are social games, how they messed up grouping/questing/phasing in ESO really is a low point and right now a breaking one for me to consider. Is there any word that is being looked at? It's a big gaf imo.

Yeah, I'm surprisingly impressed with what SOE has been doing. I'm hopeful that the parent company's financial woes won't impact anything. I've been pretty involved with their communities and I like what I see, it's a step in the right direction. I'm really hoping ESO takes a page from that book before it's too late.

I also agree that the phasing issue in ESO is deplorable. I expect it's something that will be fixed completely and quickly. Unfortunately, most people don't realize that the developers are running multiple parallel builds (which means they leave a lot of features incomplete/broken even if they've been earmarked or even fixed) and also delayed builds (what you see in beta is already outdated). That's one of the reasons they delayed the NDAs so long (actually, there is still an NDA for the full beta), but people not in the know tend to overlook that.

(I won't get into the specifics but if you're curious as to why they develop this way, it is so multiple teams can work on multiple issues simultaneously without risking overlap. That's why earmarked/obvious bugs are ignored because they are fixed in the main merged build that always comes later in the betas because it needs internal testing first.)

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2014, 19:53.

30. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 17:46 HorrorScope

NewMaxx wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 17:21:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 16:20:
The story of so many mmo's. IMO it has no potential because it tries nothing new. There are some decent things, but they're close enough to the same decent things I've played, still own and can do again for free and still don't. But if one is jonesing for another mmo... There are easier one's on your wallet.

That's cool. I play every MMO under the sun and I am a regular alpha/beta tester. I stand by my analysis. I've seen the gorilla in the room two months before its release and its collision mechanics were downright broken. I do agree with your sentiment that the chances of success are low, but if I just throw in the towel and not at least try to give feedback I'm liable to blame myself to some extent. More on that below...

I disagree about the "trying nothing new" part, not because it does try new things (it does to some extent) but because that's not what people want. If a game is to succeed is must cater to the crowd I'm afraid. My impressions of Everquest Landmark and Next suggest that it is trying something new (for a MMO, anyway) and I dig that, too. I feel I have room for both of them in my life, albeit for different reasons.

The big thing to take away is that MMOs are social organisms and the community needs to be involved in a constructive way. I've had the opportunity to see this flourish in some games lately and it is especially true of games that allow direct player influence - player-made items, and yes that includes EQ LM/N. TESO has an excellent opening for this but they have to take advantage of it, and fast. It would be "something new" while catering to the crowd...but right now I can't tell which way it'll go. Community feedback is a huge part of that...and if you want to know why SWTOR failed, just check Bioware's response to ME3 ending complaints.

Fair enough, but I can do most if not all what you mention in MMO's I already own. As you mention EQN is something to point to simply because it has read the market and notices things need to change. They looked at the indy build market and should have said, man if one man with limited $$$ could do what he did, what does that say for the 100's of us with bank that can't? A right decision is to look at the scene and really do something about it.

You do mention mmo's are social games, how they messed up grouping/questing/phasing in ESO really is a low point and right now a breaking one for me to consider. Is there any word that is being looked at? It's a big gaf imo.

29. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 17:21 NewMaxx

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 16:20:
The story of so many mmo's. IMO it has no potential because it tries nothing new. There are some decent things, but they're close enough to the same decent things I've played, still own and can do again for free and still don't. But if one is jonesing for another mmo... There are easier one's on your wallet.

That's cool. I play every MMO under the sun and I am a regular alpha/beta tester. I stand by my analysis. I've seen the gorilla in the room two months before its release and its collision mechanics were downright broken. I do agree with your sentiment that the chances of success are low, but if I just throw in the towel and not at least try to give feedback I'm liable to blame myself to some extent. More on that below...

I disagree about the "trying nothing new" part, not because it does try new things (it does to some extent) but because that's not what people want. If a game is to succeed is must cater to the crowd I'm afraid. My impressions of Everquest Landmark and Next suggest that it is trying something new (for a MMO, anyway) and I dig that, too. I feel I have room for both of them in my life, albeit for different reasons.

The big thing to take away is that MMOs are social organisms and the community needs to be involved in a constructive way. I've had the opportunity to see this flourish in some games lately and it is especially true of games that allow direct player influence - player-made items, and yes that includes EQ LM/N. TESO has an excellent opening for this but they have to take advantage of it, and fast. It would be "something new" while catering to the crowd...but right now I can't tell which way it'll go. Community feedback is a huge part of that...and if you want to know why SWTOR failed, just check Bioware's response to ME3 ending complaints.

28. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 16:58 Slashman

So F2P in a few months after launch?  

27. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 16:22 HorrorScope

KS wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 15:20:
These are the very first letter in MMORPG -- making grouping easy. A group finder utility is useless if it's hard to share quests.

Amen.

26. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 16:20 HorrorScope

NewMaxx wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 15:01:
In my opinion, this game has a lot of potential

25. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 15:42 KS

Correction, the joyness of grouping is what they should be concerned with. Then the XP just falls out naturally.  

24. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 15:20 KS

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 12:03:
Other than it being a fairly standard MMO.

The biggest issue (and most SP Blue's posters won't know this) is when grouping. Running missions in a group imo is a nightmare, even if you play tightly as a group all the time. When you aren't in total synch and you cannot just tell the system you want to be in synch. You then can be in different phases, you will be invisible to other players (you see their marker but not their person), you cannot share with them to have them join you etc. I haven't played an online game this restrictive and really for me is going to be the showstopper above all others.

The game should make it that whoever is leader, you are always in their phase, if you done the part before or haven't, you should still be in their phase instance able to assist, no completion credit, but be able to assist. Just weird.

Tera Online completely borked the questing system -- run-of-the-mill quests, about 90% were not sharable because they were all part of long chains which you must do the previous ones.

So you go into a new area, unless someone else is bramd new there, ypu can't group because they're already up the chain.

I wish companies would stop this. Who the hell cares if you start mid-chain? The damned rewards aren't any kind of great thing that must be forbidden to someone who missed the previous quests.

The XP rate is what the game developers should be concerned with, not that someone might "abuse" a blue-reward endquest by skipping the 8 previous requests in the chain. They still need XP somehow anyway.

23. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 15:01 NewMaxx

Scottyl42 wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 10:47:
I played the beta. It just felt like rift,warhammer,aion...nothing new.. its gonna bomb. sadly.

You know, I was pretty disappointed after my first beta. I still pre-ordered it (didn't have much else going on at the time) and have since enjoyed it more after every subsequent beta. Keep in mind this is from a guy who paid for six months of LOTRO (after it became F2P), played SWTOR for a few months after launch, played GW2 for a few months after launch, and now has a sub to Planetside 2 (a F2P game). In every one of those cases I felt more than satisfied. I don't buy MMOs to live in them long-term anymore, not since WoW, which is ironic since that's kind of what "theme park" should mean.

In my opinion, this game has a lot of potential and the right level of passion to make it happen. I've seen the team put together some great ideas across the betas. It's just not there yet, though. If you check my Blues history you will see a post a while back where I said it'll need a year after launch...well, my estimate is now six months. I believe if they can hold on until the holidays, this game might work out and some of the "it's gonna tank" guys might finally come around. If they drop the ball on that chance, though, I'll likely be gone by that time, but I will probably still feel like I got my money's worth.

22. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 14:57 NewMaxx

descender wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 12:29:
Anyone who pumps out $75 for the first month of play is going to be sorely disappointed.

The first month is included in the price. I was able to get the digital CE for $60.

21. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 14:49 Techie714

Cutter wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 14:21:
J wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 12:43:
The sad thing about playing the beta is that I am now on a similar wavelength to Cutter. You'll find me in the emo lounge.

You are finally now on the correct path in life. Things will finally start looking up for you. Colours will be brighter. Food will taste better. Women will love you and men will want to be you.

LMAO, Classic Cutter

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

20. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 14:45 loomy

what a waste of talent. 15 years we've seen these expensive (everquest?) remakes which barely hobble along paying for themselves  

19. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 14:21 Cutter

J wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 12:43:
The sad thing about playing the beta is that I am now on a similar wavelength to Cutter. You'll find me in the emo lounge.

You are finally now on the correct path in life. Things will finally start looking up for you. Colours will be brighter. Food will taste better. Women will love you and men will want to be you.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

18. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 13:32 Rossini

Frijoles wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 10:38:
At 4:20, the video shows a green gem looking thing next to the gold icon. I had a feeling they'd have a store, but didn't think there was one yet. Anyone know what that green gem is for?

If you're talking about the green gem with the green 0 (zero) to the left, it shows you how many alliance points you've accumulated through PvP. You can then spend those points at vendors in Cyrodiil for things like siege equipment, keep repair, etc.

17. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 13:07 Ryan Lange

nin wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 09:48:
I've heard good things about EQ Next, from a coworker who's playing...

Your coworker's not playing EQ Next, the MMORPG; they're playing the EQ Next Landmark alpha.

16. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 12:44 Umbragen

I have 3 unfinished Elder Scrolls games already....

15. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Crafting Video Feb 20, 2014, 12:43 J

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo