Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access

The Bethesda Blog announces a May 23rd European release date for Wolfenstein: The New Order, noting elsewhere that the new installment in the military shooter series will come to North America on May 20th. Bethesda also announces that those who preorder the alternate-history game will gain access to the beta testing of id Software's upcoming DOOM game, saying a beta code will come in the Wolfenstein game box, though the test will start at a later date. They are offering preorders for all platforms, though they don't promise the beta will cover all of them, saying: "Beta timing and platform options are subject to Bethesda Softworks’ discretion." All the details can be found in this FAQ, where they also answer the question about whether the new DOOM game will have an open beta, saying: "Timing and availability of future beta programs for DOOM is to be determined. The only current way to ensure access is through pre-ordering Wolfenstein: The New Order. We will be providing more information on additional beta tests, if any, at a later time." They punctuate the news with a new "BOOM BOOM" gameplay trailer.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 20, 2014, 11:41 siapnar

DangerDog wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 17:49:
It wasn't as bad as say Aliens Colonial Marines but it wasn't that good either, when you compare it to games like Borderlands 2 it really looked bad in terms of content and story. I still don't know why they even bothered with the combat racing stuff, should have scrapped that part completely.
The story was pretty terrible, granted. But i was talking strictly about graphics and gunplay.

Also, yea, the combat racing and vehicle "physics" were absolutely awful

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 21:37:
The game could look half decent at times but overall it was a disaster. It was completely compromised because of consoles. I mean, we're not talking about minor criticisms here - the game looked like an abortion put in a blender.
I played it well after release, so I'm assuming it's been patched a bunch of times.
I never saw any texture even remotely as bad as the ones you linked to.
There are a lot of times while playing RAGE I'd stop and look around in awe... even take screenshots.
A lot of love went into the level building, and it shows in item placement and wear n tear on surfaces and objects.

I agree about the dynamic lighting though. Everything is either baked or cheated in some way to make it look decent.
The baked lighting can look great at times, though.

I have projectile dysfunction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 20, 2014, 09:11 nin

[VG]Reagle wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 23:24:
Don't expect anything other then john carjack leaning you over and ass fucking you.

Preordered, did you? Don't forget your white panties.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 20, 2014, 04:58 Cram

Trailer got me a bit pumped, confirmed a couple things. Deathshead is back, and somehow so is Caroline Becker.

Day one buy. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is my favorite SP FPS, the 2009 version is a fun ridiculous shooter.

30. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 23:24 [VG]Reagle

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 22:59:
I'd like a new Enemy Territory game please.
Something as well done as Wolf:ET, but future'ish and not godawful like ET:QW was.

Sorry but this is a cash ingame. Single player only. Don't expect anything other then john carjack leaning you over and ass fucking you. That is the only benifeit you can get period.

I am much better now.

29. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 22:59 ColoradoHoudini

I'd like a new Enemy Territory game please.
Something as well done as Wolf:ET, but future'ish and not godawful like ET:QW was.

28. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 21:37 theyarecomingforyou

siapnar wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 15:52:
I really don't know how people rag on RAGE for having bad graphics. That game could look absolutely STUNNING at times.
It was a technical marvel in it's creative approach to texture painting.
It had no dynamics lighting, used 2D sprites for environment items, had extremely low polygon items and looked utterly shit if you got anywhere near any of the textures.

I've shown these before but here's proof:

Horrific texture compression
Extremely low resolution textures
Low polygon, low resolution objects
2D sprites
Inexcusable low resolution, low poly objects

The game could look half decent at times but overall it was a disaster. It was completely compromised because of consoles. I mean, we're not talking about minor criticisms here - the game looked like an abortion put in a blender.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

27. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 17:53 Ray Marden

First off, Rage was average. As id's single-player zenith, it was a fairly poor showing. For the theoretical potential of the people behind it, it was a significant letdown. Last, the gameplay suffered from the game having such a heavy focus on its tech - the same graphics tech that had framerate issues, worked poorly with then-current drivers, came with texture lag, small levels, low-polygon models, an abundance of low resolution texture mapping, etc. Should we discuss the driving component that was rather interesting, but completely out of place in the actual game and completely underutilized?

As for Wolfenstein, this game had good word of mouth out of E3, but it has never grabbed me. Theoretically, what we saw could be really good, but it comes off as really stupid action fluff. This series has been so pedestrian or full of itself for the last few releases, I am concerned this is more of the same - this trailer certainly hasn't helped anything.

As for the D4 beta, did they even show anything about it? Or am I just supposed to be excited for the second attempt at D4, coming after the darkness engine that was D3 and coming from one of the least creative and least exciting developers in the industry?
When is the last time an id game was really good?
Feeling like I am too old for that trailer,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

26. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 17:49 DangerDog

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 15:38:
RAGE was a disaster in every respect
I really don't know how people rag on RAGE for having bad graphics. That game could look absolutely STUNNING at times.
And no, textures that take 1/100 of a second to load doesn't bother me.

Also, the gunplay was a lot of fun

It wasn't as bad as say Aliens Colonial Marines but it wasn't that good either, when you compare it to games like Borderlands 2 it really looked bad in terms of content and story. I still don't know why they even bothered with the combat racing stuff, should have scrapped that part completely.

25. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 17:38 MajorD

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 17:19:

Rage was the video game equivalent of the Myspace pose. At just the right angle even the ugliest fattest slob can look stunning. That was Rage. An ugly fat slob of a game that only looked good from a distance.

Good from far, far from good.

24. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 17:19 Mad Max RW

Rage was the video game equivalent of the Myspace pose. At just the right angle even the ugliest fattest slob can look stunning. That was Rage. An ugly fat slob of a game that only looked good from a distance.

23. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 16:59 edaciousx

I have to agree, I Liked rage. Just didn't love it and would not buy it for $50 or $60. But, graphically it was amazing minus the time it took to load textures....

Looking forward to doom 4 here though.

22. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 15:52 siapnar

21. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 15:52 Mr. Tact

Can always hope they'll surprise us.. but yeah, waiting for the reviews after release before they get a single cent.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 15:48 DangerDog

This doesn't instil any hope that Doom will be any good, and beta access for what? Are they bringing back multiplayer? I thought id software was making Doom and that they publicly stated no more interest in doing multiplayer games.  

19. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 15:45 siapnar

I gotta say, these fucking guys know how to make trailers

Game looks pretty cool. Standard shooter stuff, but cool

18. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 15:38 theyarecomingforyou

Nobody cares about Wolfenstein or DOOM anymore. id Software used to push the envelope technologically but RAGE was a disaster in every respect (gameplay, graphics, technology, etc).

Pre-ordering a shit game to get beta access to another shit game is not really my sort of thing.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

17. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 15:18 Mad Max RW

Without any of the original team involved what's the point? Besides brand name recognition.  

16. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 14:41 Fantaz

Trevellian wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 14:37:
Looks absolutely awful.

And I don't expect Doom to be any better. I wish they'd give Doom some respect and let the name die.

I'd rather see another Doom game than another RAGE game.

a new Quake game would be nice... probably coming right after Doom. would like to see a return to the original Q1 style.

Carmack only programmed the tech for the games, so with him gone the style and gameplay of their games will likely go unaffected.

15. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 14:37 Trevellian

Looks absolutely awful.

And I don't expect Doom to be any better. I wish they'd give Doom some respect and let the name die.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

14. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 14:21 Yosemite Sam

Soulburner wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 12:32:
Creston wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 11:49:
Soulburner wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 11:46:
Creston wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 11:20:
oooh, future Doom beta access. Because id is going to absolutely rock the house now that their one remaining asset, Carmack, is also gone. Keep your eyes open for Doom, fellas![...]
Tim Willits is still there. He's the lead designer/creative director, Carmack just coded the engines. If you would like to complain about recent (and upcoming) id Software's games, he's the guy to send emails to.

I see I need to explain things to you: The only good thing about id's game has been their technical prowess. The game design has sucked since the days of Doom 2, or Quake for some.

Now that the technical guy is gone, all they have left is their design guys, who have already proven themselves to be terrible.

So what's left to cheer for? Oh, right.
I loved Doom 2, all the Quake games (even Raven's Quake 4), I liked Doom 3 a lot (especially the BFG edition, which seems to be how Doom 3 should have been from the start) and I loved Rage.

So, for me, id games are very good. They're fun and the "gunplay" of Rage was brilliant. I do not think it impossible for other programmer geniuses to take over Carmack's work properly.

Yup... well except for Q4. Hope it's not on rails, hard to tell from whats been shown, but we know it's gonna be a corridor shooter.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo