Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Frans completed his rescue operation yesterday, and the databases are back online here, restoring our lost functionality, for which he cannot be thanked enough. The "share" links were broken for a bit after the restore, but they have been fixed and work properly once again, and as far as we know, everything is operating as intended, so if you notice something amiss, please drop a note to let us know. There were questions about why this caused so much downtime, and the main culprit was that the notes from the last time the site was restored from backup were lost along the way, so Frans had to piece together how to reinstall and configure all the software we use, which complicated things greatly. The procedure has been recorded again, so this should not be the same issue going forward, though obviously we hope it won't come to that. There isn't as good an explanation for why we weren't running on a more fail-safe setup, but the good news is that this has been addressed, as the RAID 1 array we are now using should be inherently more capable of surviving problems. So one last time, thanks to Frans for being the man, and thanks to all of you for hanging in there while everything got worked out.

Rescued Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Flappy Hunt.
Feed Us Pirates.
Summon the Hero.
Links: The Strange History of Olympic Medals.
Are Girl Scout Cookies Healthy? Is that a trick question? Thanks El Destiny.
Stories: 'Beetlejuice 2'- Michael Keaton Says Tim Burton Is In, And So Is He.
Joan Rivers Returns To ‘Tonight Show’ After Decades-Long Ban.
Science: Amazon electric fish inspire underwater robotics.
After 400 years, mathematicians find a new class of shapes.
Japanese Institute Opens Investigation Into Its Stem-Cell Breakthrough.
Winter Olympics wipeout GIFs.
Media: World Premiere of First Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer.
Inception - 8 Bit Cinema.
"Evolution of Hip-Hop Dancing" (w/Jimmy Fallon & Will Smith).

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2014, 14:57 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 10:49:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 19:46:
PHJF wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 16:56:
I'm not sure what would be so god damn difficult for some asshole at nvidia or some even bigger asshole at Microsoft to look into and FIX this on the SOFTWARE END, but no, I'm stuck here solving 21st century problems with tiny pieces of tape.
Fixing faulty hardware, via software? Uh...it's an HDMI cable, buy a new one. They're not expensive. It's not a microprocessor with bad microcode.

It's not a faulty cable, as he noted already it's an issue with the way Windows handles detected displays. You can't "hard code" a display, Windows will switch them based on detected devices through powered on states. So sometimes your TV or monitor will swap positions. Then sometimes you reboot and they're misidentified again. It's less problematic with 2 monitors than it is a TV and a monitor for some reason, forget about throwing a receiver into the mix though. All of this is even worse with sound involved because Windows will switch devices on the fly sometimes and even ignore its own Default sound devices passed with the video if it doesn't detect they're on before another.

Multiple monitors in Windows has always been a hackjob and very clumsily implemented unfortunately. It was never designed with combined A/V devices in mind.

I used to have an HDMI over Ethernet run to my receiver for gaming in the living room but I gave up on it since Windows was a fucking mess with it, wish I tried that pin #19 trick. Oh well built some HTPCs instead.

My TV is actually hooked up via a receiver. I do always turn on the receiver first. Sometimes the sound won't work if I reverse the order. And on rare occasions, I will turn the TV off, and it will fail to switch back to monitor. Typically the order is
- Turn on PC (DVI monitor is always on)
- Turn on receiver
- Turn on TV
- Turn on game or movie

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2014, 10:49 Verno

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 19:46:
I'm not sure what would be so god damn difficult for some asshole at nvidia or some even bigger asshole at Microsoft to look into and FIX this on the SOFTWARE END, but no, I'm stuck here solving 21st century problems with tiny pieces of tape.
Fixing faulty hardware, via software? Uh...it's an HDMI cable, buy a new one. They're not expensive. It's not a microprocessor with bad microcode.

It's not a faulty cable, as he noted already it's an issue with the way Windows handles detected displays. You can't "hard code" a display, Windows will switch them based on detected devices through powered on states. So sometimes your TV or monitor will swap positions. Then sometimes you reboot and they're misidentified again. It's less problematic with 2 monitors than it is a TV and a monitor for some reason, forget about throwing a receiver into the mix though. All of this is even worse with sound involved because Windows will switch devices on the fly sometimes and even ignore its own Default sound devices passed with the video if it doesn't detect they're on before another.

Multiple monitors in Windows has always been a hackjob and very clumsily implemented unfortunately. It was never designed with combined A/V devices in mind.

I used to have an HDMI over Ethernet run to my receiver for gaming in the living room but I gave up on it since Windows was a fucking mess with it, wish I tried that pin #19 trick. Oh well built some HTPCs instead.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

44. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2014, 21:55 Creston

Just about had it with HDMI when I finally found the solution to my (enormous, migraine-inducing) problem, a problem which manifested immediately after going from a GTX460 to a GTX760.

As long as I've owned this card and regardless of updates to Windows and/or display drivers, multiple displays have NEVER functioned correctly. It extends the desktop when I don't want it to, fucks with my desktop icon placement, never fucking remembers which is the main display, or randomly refuses to even acknowledge my receiver is on and I'd like to USE MY FUCKIN SPEAKERS. The absolute worst offense was, with stunning regularity, Windows getting "stuck" in extended desktop mode and refusing to enable/disable particular displays, requiring a reset to remedy.

And the fucking solution?

A piece of tape. A tiny little piece of tape used to cover up pin #19 on the HDMI cable, the shitty little worthless cunt of a pin whose sole lot in life is to carry "event" (like, say, power on or off) signals between devices. I'm not sure what would be so god damn difficult for some asshole at nvidia or some even bigger asshole at Microsoft to look into and FIX this on the SOFTWARE END, but no, I'm stuck here solving 21st century problems with tiny pieces of tape.

Good. I can FEEL your anger! Use it! Strike me down with it!

Anyway, that really sucks. Fucking HDMI.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2014, 21:52 Creston

Yeah Blue, put it on Azure! Then you can watch your site go down because Microsoft has apparently never heard of certificates! CHU CHU!  

42. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2014, 19:19 Agent.X7

Erebus wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 07:57:
Blue you have lots of fans and friends here but this is your business and I've been pretty surprised watching this unfold. Reading about this pice of hardware and that piece of hardware and clearly seeing that your site and systems could not have been backed up and restorable is a bit shocking.

Time to get into the Cloud sir and away from the rack at the colo.

Seriously this is my favorite site and irs at risk with your current 90s strategy!

I'll take the slings and arrows of the fanboys in the hope that you make a good move to protect your business.

The mystical cloud of never crash!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

41. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2014, 11:46 Mr. Tact

Erebus wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 07:57:
Uh, what exactly do you think the Cloud is? It's just some equipment in a rack at a colo. Now, granted, it is redundant equipment, but the Cloud is not a magic solution. Installing some simple redundancy at his current location is probably a lot cheaper.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2014, 07:57 Erebus

Blue you have lots of fans and friends here but this is your business and I've been pretty surprised watching this unfold. Reading about this pice of hardware and that piece of hardware and clearly seeing that your site and systems could not have been backed up and restorable is a bit shocking.

Seriously this is my favorite site and irs at risk with your current 90s strategy!

I'll take the slings and arrows of the fanboys in the hope that you make a good move to protect your business.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 23:30 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 21:28:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 21:00:
damn. Item on Amazon says "delivered" but I was here all day Monday and it never came. First time I have ever had an issue. Filed a claim, considering the VAST amounts of money I spend with Amazon, hope they ship me a replacement ASAP.

Wow, what was it? Most of my stuff comes UPS, and I guess I'm lucky, as I've never had an issue.

I did have a netflix disc go missing for about a month, only to show up in the mail one day, like nothing had happened.

edit: I take it back: I did have one order from amazon.co.uk that never made it to me, and they shipped another with no issues.

xbox 360 wireless receiver, small package, I am sure it was stolen. Rash of stolen stuff in Minneapolis. Hearing information that cars are following UPS trucks around and taking shit off steps.....awesome. The most frustrating part - UPS usually leaves crap at my back door, or at least knocks. I was here all day doing daddy day care, they never knocked. (it is possible they never delievered the damn thing)

Amazon is awesome, they already wrote back and refunded the amount, I reordered already.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

38. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 22:13 PHJF

I have a dual mon setup: TV (HDMI) and monitor (DVI). I set my default monitor to the TV, but with the TV off, it defaults to the LCD monitor. If I turn on the TV, it switches over seamlessly. There are glitches on occasion, especially if I have a game open already, but overall it works pretty well.

Yeah that's how it worked for me before the new hardware.

The biggest issue seems to be with sleep. Ever since getting an SSD I strictly use sleep, and HDMI does *not* like it. There's all sorts of shit around how to fix it from some stupidly overpriced $130 dongle to hackjob adapters on ebay, and apparently ATI drivers have a registry entry for fixing EDID problems, but for me it was killing pin 19.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

37. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 21:48 jdreyer

Just about had it with HDMI when I finally found the solution to my (enormous, migraine-inducing) problem, a problem which manifested immediately after going from a GTX460 to a GTX760.

As long as I've owned this card and regardless of updates to Windows and/or display drivers, multiple displays have NEVER functioned correctly. It extends the desktop when I don't want it to, fucks with my desktop icon placement, never fucking remembers which is the main display, or randomly refuses to even acknowledge my receiver is on and I'd like to USE MY FUCKIN SPEAKERS. The absolute worst offense was, with stunning regularity, Windows getting "stuck" in extended desktop mode and refusing to enable/disable particular displays, requiring a reset to remedy.

A piece of tape. A tiny little piece of tape used to cover up pin #19 on the HDMI cable, the shitty little worthless cunt of a pin whose sole lot in life is to carry "event" (like, say, power on or off) signals between devices. I'm not sure what would be so god damn difficult for some asshole at nvidia or some even bigger asshole at Microsoft to look into and FIX this on the SOFTWARE END, but no, I'm stuck here solving 21st century problems with tiny pieces of tape.

Good to know. I upgraded from a 460 (loved that little card) to a 670, and haven't had any issues. I have a dual mon setup: TV (HDMI) and monitor (DVI). I set my default monitor to the TV, but with the TV off, it defaults to the LCD monitor. If I turn on the TV, it switches over seamlessly. There are glitches on occasion, especially if I have a game open already, but overall it works pretty well.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 21:45 jdreyer

nin wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 15:11:
Fibrocyte wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 14:59:
Blue: You should've taken advantage of the downtime to implement a mobile version of this page.

Yeah, I'm sure he had nothing else going on.

You mean Blue wasn't taking leisurely strolls with Bobbob on the lovely beaches of San Diego?

35. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 21:43 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 13:22:

Yeah , I saw them. Seemed very similar to ETS2, though. I'll wait for them to make something with a bit more newness to it. (also, and this isn't meant as a slam against the US, but being a US trucker means driving on the interstate all day long. That doesn't exactly sound very exciting. )

On the other hand, you get to carry a GUN!

Oh, Yeah. American Truck Simulator of Duty. I'm all over that!

34. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 21:28 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 21:00:
damn. Item on Amazon says "delivered" but I was here all day Monday and it never came. First time I have ever had an issue. Filed a claim, considering the VAST amounts of money I spend with Amazon, hope they ship me a replacement ASAP.

Wow, what was it? Most of my stuff comes UPS, and I guess I'm lucky, as I've never had an issue.

I did have a netflix disc go missing for about a month, only to show up in the mail one day, like nothing had happened.

edit: I take it back: I did have one order from amazon.co.uk that never made it to me, and they shipped another with no issues.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

33. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 21:00 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

32. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 20:14 PHJF

There is nothing wrong with the cable, it's a "feature" of HDMI and Windows 7.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

31. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 19:59 Genesys

Yay! Congratulations on the successful recovery, although:
There isn't as good an explanation for why we weren't running on a more fail-safe setup, but the good news is that this has been addressed, as the RAID 1 array we are now using should be inherently more capable of surviving problems.
So you're saying you were actually running in a non-RAID setup this whole time? That's scary! Disks are cheap, and most BIOSes nowadays can do software RAID even if you don't have a real RAID card.

I hate to mention it, but another option might be to move the system into "The Clooouuud"; an AWS server would ensure you are always running a resilient system with backups, and would protect the site from going down in case you lose power or your Internet connection.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 19:46 Mashiki Amiketo

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 17:32 dj LiTh

So its microsoft and nvidia's fault for a faulty hdmi cable that they didnt make?

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 17:10  Frans 

nin wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 15:11:
Fibrocyte wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 14:59:
Blue: You should've taken advantage of the downtime to implement a mobile version of this page.
Yeah, I'm sure he had nothing else going on.
Riiight.

Still, there already are some (primitive, perhaps, but it never was a priority) non-desktop feeds:
http://www.bluesnews.com/a/4/feeds-services

-- Frans

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2014, 16:59 Yosemite Sam

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 09:46:
Woo hoo! RAID 1! We are now in the 20th Century! Wait...

Ya on a business related site where downtime is not wanted at all, I'd be going with Raid 6. My first thought when I heard the problems Blue was experiencing, why isn't the site using a fault protection Raid array. Ah well nice to have everything back.

PS Don't forget to log into GTA Online to grab the limited time goodies. Gotta get the Gusenberg Sweeper and Albany Roosevelt before they are gone. I'll be on to pick those up so I can go old school when the bank heists finally hit.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo