Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of Speed Announced

Slightly Mad Studios announces World of Speed, a AAA free-to-play MMO racing game coming to Windows PCs at some point this year after a closed beta session that's scheduled for the spring. The World of Speed website is online, offering details on the game, signups for that beta testing, and an official announcement trailer. Here's the announcement:

Slightly Mad Studios, the critically acclaimed developer known for their pedigree in racing video games, today unveiled World of Speed, a AAA massively multiplayer online arcade racing video game. World of Speed will be available in 2014 as a free-to-play experience on PCs.

In World of Speed, players will hop in the driver’s seat of an endless garage of cars ranging from everyday city runners to the fastest super cars on the planet to the most iconic cars from throughout the storied history of auto racing. Players will find themselves racing on true-to-life tracks spanning the globe and on tracks only a speed freak could dream up, carved from roadways across cities including London and San Francisco.

“At the heart of World of Speed lies a unique massive multiplayer online experience which incorporates a dynamic social elements and entirely new ways to compete in a racing video game - from an individual to a team level,” said Ian Bell, Chief Executive Officer of Slightly Mad Studios. “World of Speed is an online game and will be continuously supported with innovative and fresh content to keep the competition furious well after its launch.”

World of Speed introduces a new level of connected competition allowing players real-time interactive social gameplay through intense Club and team gameplay, the Airfield social hub, and unique missions and objectives in every race to make every players actions really matter. As an online experience, World of Speed will be supported with live events and player challenges, new gameplay modes, tracks and cars and much more.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 11, 2014, 11:10 SpectralMeat

Thanks!  

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 11, 2014, 11:02 Dmitri_M

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 09:00:
Dmitri_M wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 08:54:
Both are incredible with a G27

Assetto Corsa especially. There are things happening with the force feedback in that game that I've never quite felt before in other titles. You actually need the FFB to judge when the car is at it's limit.
Thanks!
Now I can not wait to get the game and the wheel!
Wish I've picked up Asseto Corsa when it was on sale. It still says it is on sale on their website but on Steam the game is at regular price.
Do they have any estimate on the final release date?

Not sure the exact release date. "Sometime in 2014" is all I'm aware of.

The early access has had updates every 2 weeks as promised. Often adding multiple vehicles. I believe it's jumped from 0.4 to 0.6 in under two months so that should give a good indication on their progress towards 1.0

20. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 11, 2014, 10:58 siapnar

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 15:36:
Some more gameplay footage here: http://youtu.be/6_HwqIPXTk8
Those speeds make me dizzy
Probably because visually, it looks pretty bad.

Also, it's very arcadey. Check out the collision at 0:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_HwqIPXTk8#t=33

I have projectile dysfunction.

19. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 11, 2014, 09:00 SpectralMeat

Dmitri_M wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 08:54:

Assetto Corsa especially. There are things happening with the force feedback in that game that I've never quite felt before in other titles. You actually need the FFB to judge when the car is at it's limit.
Thanks!
Now I can not wait to get the game and the wheel!
Wish I've picked up Asseto Corsa when it was on sale. It still says it is on sale on their website but on Steam the game is at regular price.
Do they have any estimate on the final release date?

18. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 11, 2014, 08:54 Dmitri_M

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 07:56:
I've been following the development of Project CARS and watching a bunch of vids on the progression and I think it is far from the NFS series. I am not in the beta so I can not tell from first hand experience but to me it looks a lot more like a sim game than any of the NFS titles they've worked on previously.

As of right now I am really looking forward to Project CARS and Asseto Corsa.
Those 2 games would give me a reason to invest into a G27 wheelset.
It's hard to justify the cost just for ETS2

17. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 11, 2014, 08:47 BitWraith

Why don't they just call it World of Speedcraft?

Here's a handy guide for naming your MMO -

World of (word).
(word)craft
World of (word)craft.

16. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 11, 2014, 07:56 SpectralMeat

I've been following the development of Project CARS and watching a bunch of vids on the progression and I think it is far from the NFS series. I am not in the beta so I can not tell from first hand experience but to me it looks a lot more like a sim game than any of the NFS titles they've worked on previously.

As of right now I am really looking forward to Project CARS and Asseto Corsa.
Those 2 games would give me a reason to invest into a G27 wheelset.
It's hard to justify the cost just for ETS2

15. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 11, 2014, 03:15 Dmitri_M

theglaze wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 18:50:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 14:40:
If they'll release World of Speed before Project CARS I'll be extremely pissed. It seems like Project CARS is in development since forever!

Maybe it should come out first? If it truly is sharing the engine and net code of Project CARS, then by all means, let a bunch of kids play this silly racer so the developer can sort out the inevitable issues at launch.

That said, I'm hugely skeptical of what Slightly Mad can put together for a sim...advertising NFS Shift 1 and 2 on the CARS website for their claim of racing simulator pedigree is like putting Time Crisis down as a reference and embarking on developing the best virtual police firearm simulator.

Project Cars is not far off from sims like assetto corsa. Not as nuanced as AC, easily on par or surpassing Gtr2/simbin titles though. The tire model additions in the past couple of months have really improved the physics feel. If you drive the cars (especially those with tire models that have been under development longer ie formula C) on their limit it's as challenging as any recent sim.

To say that it's closer to NFS is nonsense not flaming just pointing out a fact).

14. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 10, 2014, 18:50 theglaze

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 14:40:
If they'll release World of Speed before Project CARS I'll be extremely pissed. It seems like Project CARS is in development since forever!

Maybe it should come out first? If it truly is sharing the engine and net code of Project CARS, then by all means, let a bunch of kids play this silly racer so the developer can sort out the inevitable issues at launch.

That said, I'm hugely skeptical of what Slightly Mad can put together for a sim...advertising NFS Shift 1 and 2 on the CARS website for their claim of racing simulator pedigree is like putting Time Crisis down as a reference and embarking on developing the best virtual police firearm simulator.

13. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 10, 2014, 18:37 theglaze

Zarkov wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 16:12:
Is that a Youtube limitation? Looks like barely 20 FPS in some scenes.

I think in this case the original format and encoding of the video was not converted well into Youtube's streaming format..it looks awful.

12. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 10, 2014, 17:47 deqer

This is going to turn out bad...

11. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 10, 2014, 16:34 nin

bhcompy wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 16:32:
Because Motor City Online worked out so well

Hey! Blue played that!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 10, 2014, 16:32 bhcompy

Because Motor City Online worked out so well  

9. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 10, 2014, 16:12 Zarkov

Not sure if it's the speeds that make you dizzy, or the low framerates in that video. :/

Is that a Youtube limitation? Looks like barely 20 FPS in some scenes.

8. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 10, 2014, 15:36 SpectralMeat

Some more gameplay footage here: http://youtu.be/6_HwqIPXTk8
Those speeds make me dizzy

7. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 10, 2014, 15:32 jdreyer

theglaze wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 14:29:
In which case, they are following Project CARS up with with an arcade "action packed" style racer that anyone can join. Seems like a smart idea, even if it only serves as a starting point to show casual racers about Project CARS who otherwise may have said 'nah that's too sim for me'.

Once players realized just how important the teams are we saw a very different style of racing where the players naturally settled into specific roles such as blockers, wingmen, drifters and drafters in order to complete the team objectives. In fact, we had a lot of comments from the players saying how much more fun it was to know that even though they crashed on the first corner and had no chance of crossing the finish line first, they could still play a significant part in helping their team win the race!

More from the site...

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I think that the F2P aspect leaves something to be desired.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 10, 2014, 14:40 SpectralMeat

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2014, 14:57.

5. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 10, 2014, 14:29 theglaze

Hold on, World of Speed is being released from the same guys developing Project CARS?

On Slightly Mad Studios wiki it claims that Project CARS will be the first title released, and others will follow under its WMD (World of Mass Development) program.

In which case, they are following Project CARS up with with an arcade "action packed" style racer that anyone can join. Seems like a smart idea, even if it only serves as a starting point to show casual racers about Project CARS who otherwise may have said 'nah that's too sim for me'.

Once players realized just how important the teams are we saw a very different style of racing where the players naturally settled into specific roles such as blockers, wingmen, drifters and drafters in order to complete the team objectives. In fact, we had a lot of comments from the players saying how much more fun it was to know that even though they crashed on the first corner and had no chance of crossing the finish line first, they could still play a significant part in helping their team win the race!

More from the site...

4. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 10, 2014, 14:20 SpectralMeat

I would have preferred Slightly Mad Studios to finish Project CARS first then worry about a F2P race game.  

3. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 10, 2014, 14:11 Task

F*** F2P.

Better Racing games:

(Arcades - Burnout, Need For Speeds)
(Realism - Project CARS, Formula 1 Game)
(Semi-Realism - Flatout, Next Car Game)

And you don't have to pay real money for a digital object.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo