Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Tech Bits

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2014, 12:55 Agent.X7

Verno wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 13:28:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 14:43:
Just last week there was an attack at the high school not half a mile from my house. The perp was a former student who came with a knife. The police came and the perp attacked them. They could have easily shot him dead for that, but instead shit him in the arm so he dropped the knife. The kid has a history of mental illness, and apparently went off his meds. Now he'll have a chance at recovery.

That's actually unbelievably stupid and goes against what cops are trained to do. People can close moderate distances surprisingly fast and you might only have a second or two to evaluate and make a decision. There would be a lot more cops injured or killed if they had to second guess every situation and attempt non-lethal shots with a firearm (which makes no sense as PHJF points out).

Yeah, firearms are lethal weapons. People don't train to kill, they train to stop. (Well, except the military) BUT, when your adrenaline dumps into your bloodstream, you lose a lot of fine motor control. This is why nobody trains to shoot arms and legs. A - It's hard to hit a thinner target that is moving and B - Shooting someone in the legs or arms isn't safe like the movies would have you believe.

Also, the majority of people who get shot live through it as long as they get medical attention. I know, the media wants you to believe otherwise, but it's statistically true.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 10, 2014, 21:38 Ant

I can't see 3D so meh. I didn't go to movie theaters last year at all!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

40. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 10, 2014, 13:28 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 14:43:
Just last week there was an attack at the high school not half a mile from my house. The perp was a former student who came with a knife. The police came and the perp attacked them. They could have easily shot him dead for that, but instead shit him in the arm so he dropped the knife. The kid has a history of mental illness, and apparently went off his meds. Now he'll have a chance at recovery.

That's actually unbelievably stupid and goes against what cops are trained to do. People can close moderate distances surprisingly fast and you might only have a second or two to evaluate and make a decision. There would be a lot more cops injured or killed if they had to second guess every situation and attempt non-lethal shots with a firearm (which makes no sense as PHJF points out).

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

39. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 9, 2014, 20:37 PHJF

The police came and the perp attacked them. They could have easily shot him dead for that, but instead shit him in the arm so he dropped the knife. The kid has a history of mental illness, and apparently went off his meds. Now he'll have a chance at recovery.

Anytime you're aiming a firearm you're supposed to be aiming/firing center mass. If your intent is not to kill you should be deploying a taser.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

38. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 9, 2014, 17:55 Prez

Just last week there was an attack at the high school not half a mile from my house. The perp was a former student who came with a knife. The police came and the perp attacked them. They could have easily shot him dead for that, but instead shot him in the arm so he dropped the knife. The kid has a history of mental illness, and apparently went off his meds. Now he'll have a chance at recovery.

Good for those cops. Some cops wouldn't be so gracious. I'm thinking specifically of the case of the mentally ill kid in North Carolina who was shot dead because he attacked officers with a screwdriver in his own home after his parents called the police to help calm him down.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

37. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 9, 2014, 14:43 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 11:21:
Cutter wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 19:04:
Still, even in that case I don't understand why he couldn't just shoot the guy in the leg or something and leave him with a limp. There's no reason to fire center mass if your life isn't in immediate peril.

Blame the law for that. I read this somewhere not too long ago.

1) If you believe your life is in danger and so you shoot someone to preserve your own life, and yet you shoot a guy in the leg, the judge/jury will throw out the "I thought my life was in danger argument."

Because in their minds, if you're genuinely worried for your life, you're not going to be aiming for the leg.

2) And apparently, the "Well, I didn't want to kill him, I just wanted to stop him!" (aka the Obi-Wan argument) thing doesn't hold in a court of law either. Shooting a man in the leg is still going to be tried as attempted murder.

So if you're going to shoot someone, the best course of action for you, as the shooter, viewed from a legal standpoint, is to fucking kill your target.

It's insane, but there you go.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

36. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 9, 2014, 11:21 Creston

Still, even in that case I don't understand why he couldn't just shoot the guy in the leg or something and leave him with a limp. There's no reason to fire center mass if your life isn't in immediate peril.

Blame the law for that. I read this somewhere not too long ago.

1) If you believe your life is in danger and so you shoot someone to preserve your own life, and yet you shoot a guy in the leg, the judge/jury will throw out the "I thought my life was in danger argument."

Because in their minds, if you're genuinely worried for your life, you're not going to be aiming for the leg.

2) And apparently, the "Well, I didn't want to kill him, I just wanted to stop him!" (aka the Obi-Wan argument) thing doesn't hold in a court of law either. Shooting a man in the leg is still going to be tried as attempted murder.

So if you're going to shoot someone, the best course of action for you, as the shooter, viewed from a legal standpoint, is to fucking kill your target.

It's insane, but there you go.

35. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 9, 2014, 10:47 HorrorScope

why he couldn't just shoot the guy in the leg

As someone with 20+ years in restaurants and just being in public most of the time it never ceases to amaze me how many people are so badly behaved. Yes, most people are still pretty decent and polite, but some people just think the world revolves around them

1. Why not the leg? He's an ex-police, always better to kill, dead man tell no tales. Even though in this case it won't be like that, due to immediate witnesses. But my guess habits kick in. (Just read, as Beaver stated, it's a tactic)

It is sort of why I'm against concealed weapons in public places, shit can just happen. Can you imagine night clubs where everyone is packing heat?

2. You are right there are just some people that are asshole, but as you say there are more good guys, so it becomes part of the job you have to learn to deal with. I don't think they should be shot in the leg even! Ideally, it would be great if you really could just not server them and ask them to leave and have total support from management to ownership each and every time. That would send a nice message. Thinking of the movie... As Good As It Gets.

34. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 9, 2014, 10:36 fujiJuice

The only real IMAX theater I have been to is in the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. I have seen several movies there, most of them specifically made for it, while growing up and taking class trips there.

The first time I went to an 'IMAX' theater other than that, it was just a regular theater with the screen slightly bigger and curved a small fraction. It was crap.

A real IMAX screen like the one in the Franklin Institute is supposed to surround you all over, up, down, left, right. In the last 5-10 years they have been showing feature films there on occasion, I would love to see a proper one there, now that is something you can't get at home. The feeling of motion you get from the immersion is incredible.

33. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 9, 2014, 08:08 Muscular Beaver

Prez wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 14:28:
The guy sitting in front of you texting that you have to end up shooting dead with a gun and spending the rest of your life behind bars.

Not to hijack the thread but I saw the surveillance video where the man got shot (who knew they film you while you're watching a movie?) and I kind of saw the old dude's side a little more. The other guy (much younger and bigger than the shooter) acted pretty beligerently with the popcorn grab and throwing what looks like his cell phone. My point is not to say that he deserved to get shot for it (because a death sentence is kind of a harsh penatly for that) but it ought to be a lesson to people that acting like an obnoxious gorilla is often dangerous to your health and should be avoided. Regardless, people are assholes which brings us back around to Slim's and Horror's point that going to the theater is usually not worth the hassle and frustration.

If the media doesnt report how he acted, and instead just puts the whole blame on the other guy, only maybe the people seeing it first hand in the theater will learn from it.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

32. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 9, 2014, 00:35 Jensen

I enjoy 3D movies. The last five movies I saw at the theater were 3D. Pacific Rim, The Hobbit, Gravity, Frozen, The Lego Movie.
I don't care for 3D done in post, though. In Pacific Rim, it looked like the rain was coming down in flat sheets.

I'd like to see fewer trailers shown before a movie. Just two or so would be great. With the Internet, trailers can be watched on demand, so there's little reason for me to waste time watching them at the theater.

I think 3D is here to stay, but proportion of movies available in 3D will probably be lower.

31. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 8, 2014, 20:21 Kosumo

Why please if I may have a say ....

I seen the Judge Dredd movie in 3d 'Dredd' (last 3d movie I seen) and it was good, the 3d help with the fx (drug secenes)

Thanks you all for listerning. Please all have a nice day and take care of each other. Tongue

30. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 8, 2014, 19:28 RoboNerd

"Cutter"Feb 8, 2014, 19:04]"Prez"Feb 8, 2014, 14:28 The guy sitting in front of you texting that you have to end up shooting dead with a gun and spending the rest of your life behind bars.

I'm a *very* conscientious and polite person in public - a holdover from all my years of hospitality. I hold doors open for people, say please and thank you all the time, give my seat up for women - even men if they have kids with them because I know it's a lot of work for them - on transit in cafes, etc. All because I firmly believe a polite society is a good one, and inherently safer.

As someone with 20+ years in restaurants and just being in public most of the time it never ceases to amaze me how many people are so badly behaved. Yes, most people are still pretty decent and polite, but some people just think the world revolves around them and f#$k everyone else. And it only seems to be getting worse. Every day in the supermarkets and malls people just seem to be oblivious to everyone around them. They leave their carts in the middle of the aisle so you can't get by without saying 'Excuse me.' Or their brats are running hog wild. And then they wonder why society is getting worse.

When I used to get out of line in public as a kid, *bam* quick smack in the back of the head from the old man. Very quickly I learned not to get out of line and consider the people around me. But you can't hit kids anymore, right? No, most you can do is drug them because they all have ADHD!

Cutter, you are a prince among men. Sir, I salute you.

As for the 3D movie discussion, my first and last movie to see in 3D was Avatar. Not sorry I did it, not motivated to do it anymore. I recently started going to a few more movies at the 20 plex, but only when a good friend (who is also retired) drives the 60 miles to town. And we time it so we see one of the first showings of the day. We were the only ones in the IMAX to see Riddick it was glorious. Glasses2

29. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 8, 2014, 19:04 Cutter

Prez wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 14:28:
The guy sitting in front of you texting that you have to end up shooting dead with a gun and spending the rest of your life behind bars.

Not to hijack the thread but I saw the surveillance video where the man got shot (who knew they film you while you're watching a movie?) and I kind of saw the old dude's side a little more. The other guy (much younger and bigger than the shooter) acted pretty beligerently with the popcorn grab and throwing what looks like his cell phone. My point is not to say that he deserved to get shot for it (because a death sentence is kind of a harsh penatly for that) but it ought to be a lesson to people that acting like an obnoxious gorilla is often dangerous to your health and should be avoided. Regardless, people are assholes which brings us back around to Slim's and Horror's point that going to the theater is usually not worth the hassle and frustration.

I'm a big enough guy that I can call people on their behavior and they'll think twice about it before getting lippy with me, but it shouldn't have to come to that to begin with. I'm a *very* conscientious and polite person in public - a holdover from all my years of hospitality. I hold doors open for people, say please and thank you all the time, give my seat up for women - even men if they have kids with them because I know it's a lot of work for them - on transit in cafes, etc. All because I firmly believe a polite society is a good one, and inherently safer. I know if I lived in the US - particularly some of the more gun toting areas - I probably wouldn't call people out on things I would here because you never know who's going to whip out a gun and go off.

Still, even in that case I don't understand why he couldn't just shoot the guy in the leg or something and leave him with a limp. There's no reason to fire center mass if your life isn't in immediate peril. Regardless, it's as you say. It's just too much stress and effort these days to expect most people to be well behaved in public environments. It simply isn't worth it when you can stay home and have a much, much better experience for a lot less money.

As someone with 20+ years in restaurants and just being in public most of the time it never ceases to amaze me how many people are so badly behaved. Yes, most people are still pretty decent and polite, but some people just think the world revolves around them and fuck everyone else. And it only seems to be getting worse. Every day in the supermarkets and malls people just seem to be oblivious to everyone around them. They leave their carts in the middle of the aisle so you can't get by without saying 'Excuse me.' Or their brats are running hog wild. And then they wonder why society is getting worse.

When I used to get out of line in public as a kid, *bam* quick smack in the back of the head from the old man. Very quickly I learned not to get out of line and consider the people around me. But you can't hit kids anymore, right? No, most you can do is drug them because they all have ADHD!

South Park has it right.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

28. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 8, 2014, 18:42 Stanly Manly

Yep, customers are realizing that studios are making shitty movies and slapping 3D on them as cash grab, and use those awful "in your face" cheap effects that are just nauseating.

I liked the 3D in Prometheus and The Hobbit. Most movies just do not need it though...

27. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 8, 2014, 17:52 PHJF

The problem isn't 3D movies; the problem is not every movie should be 3D. I've ponied up to see three so far: Avatar, Tron, and Gravity.

Rolling Stone had an article about it: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/can-gravity-save-3d-20131012

Even James Cameron, who earlier this summer told Cuaron he thought too many movies were being released in 3D that didn't have to be, gave Cuaron's spectacle a thumbs-up. "I was stunned, absolutely floored," the Avatar director told Variety. "I think itís the best space photography ever done, I think itís the best space film ever done, and itís the movie Iíve been hungry to see for an awful long time."

Cameron's earlier skepticism toward the format he'd helped popularize came during a summer when audiences routinely ignored 3D screenings if 2D screenings were available. 3D movies were opening with 3D sales percentages of about 30 percent, nowhere near Gravity's 80 percent. Industry observers were wondering: had the 3D fad run its course?

The short answer was no, especially since overseas audiences, which now make up the bulk of a Hollywood movie's box office, still haven't tired of the gimmick. Indeed, when Gravity opened abroad, it did about 70 percent of its business in 3D on its first weekend. In Russia, the figure rose to 75 percent; in Italy, 95 percent; and in Germany, 97 percent.

It seems to me most of the 3D movies are for kids. Who the fuck is going to pay more so their five-year-old can experience Disposable Kids Movie # 14,032,238 in 3D?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

26. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 8, 2014, 17:43 Silicon Avatar

Ah 3D movies. Why wouldn't you want to spend 2 hours fiddling with uncomfortable glasses that sort of work and sort of give you eye strain?

25. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 8, 2014, 16:53 Julio

SlimRam wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 14:12:
You know THE MOVIE THEATER EXPERIENCE!

Don't forget the guy filling his jumbo soda back up, as he doesn't want to miss any of the movie to hit the washroom.

And the people busy texting away, because the world can't stop without texting...

24. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 8, 2014, 16:36 Prez

NKD wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 16:15:
Prez wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 14:39:
Uh, iMax has been doing fine for decades. Their screens are curved.

Yes, but are they "better"?

3D is awesome when it is done right. Avatar, The Hobbit, Tin Tin, Wreck It Ralph - All done in native 3D, all look great in the theater and on my 55" LG.

Until I can watch a 3D movie without looking like a retarded Robocop with those goofy glasses I don't give a rodent's rectum about 3D movies.

Dunno where you're watching your movies, but at the theater I go to they basically just look like a cheap pair of sunglasses.

Great, now you've got me singing ZZ Top in my head!

FWIW the glasses I used to watch 'Avatar' at Malco Theater in Memphis were big, black, ugly and heavy. (No Oprah Winfrey jokes!!)

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 8, 2014, 16:35 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 12:35:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 11:45:
Now will they jump on the next fad and tell us that curved movie theaters are better?

3D is a joke, I don't think 1 person here said "this will turn out well".

Oh yes, they did. There were several people claiming it wasn't a fad and it was here to stay...like the last several times it's come around, lol. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

ah, probably the same people I block then.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo